Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 7: September 2011- December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the engagement ring is on loan - not that I've been convinced that it is - then it seems to me that the idea would be more to keep it in the royal collection than anything else. I don't see this as an attempt to avoid taxation so much as to ensure that the ring stays within the family.

Often a parent will pass on an engagement or wedding band to a child or grandchild, but Charles and Camilla aren't going to have children together. Therefore, rather than give her a ring that is a family heirloom, Charles may have loaned her one with the expectation that when Camilla dies it returns to his family instead of going to her children or grandchildren. Instead one day it may be the ring that Charles' grandson uses. If it is on loan - if - then Charles has found a way to honour his wife with a piece of his heritage while not denying his children a piece of their heritage.

Well, not quite, Marg. The engagement ring is the fiancee's to keep when she receives it.
I think Camillia wears the Greville tiara beautifully, it is one of my faves and great to see it worn.
Are the wonderful diamond earrings also part of that bequest? They look newer.

The articles in the DM and elsewhere said the earrings and bracelet were gifts from P. Charles.

Actually, I have come to like her. And he is who he is, neither good nor bad. I wasn't sniping at them, actually, I was sniping at the very brilliant system that the sovereigns put together for themselves, to avoid taxes on very expensive pieces. While others are denied that. So, Charles who, really, inherited all this stuff from his grandmother, will never be bothered by the large taxes, he would have to pay if they were directly given to him. He didn't invent this system, it is not his fault. But it is a scam, to let those who can most afford, inherit with out the heavy duty the rest pay. What I said is Camilla's engagement ring is borrowed. So, no taxes are paid. Who borrows a ring to give as engagement ring. The same with the tiara. Camilla looks great in it, but it is just on loan. Until HM dies and it becomes theirs free and clear.

I'm confused. I understand that the Tiaras are on loan from the royal collection,but I cant't find any references that say the ring is a loan except a post on the RF in June 2013.
What I read is that it is a 1930's Art Deco ring that belonged to the QM and may have been part of the Greville inheritance. The ring was resized to fit Camilla and also the side baguette's were added.
If the ring was 'on loan' I don't thing it would be altered.

Interesting side note Mrs. Greville was the godmother of Sonia Cubitt ( Camilla's grandmother).

What I said is Camilla's engagement ring is borrowed. So, no taxes are paid. Who borrows a ring to give as engagement ring. The same with the tiara. Camilla looks great in it, but it is just on loan. Until HM dies and it becomes theirs free and clear.

If the engagement ring is on loan - not that I've been convinced that it is - then it seems to me that the idea would be more to keep it in the royal collection than anything else. I don't see this as an attempt to avoid taxation so much as to ensure that the ring stays within the family.

Often a parent will pass on an engagement or wedding band to a child or grandchild, but Charles and Camilla aren't going to have children together. Therefore, rather than give her a ring that is a family heirloom, Charles may have loaned her one with the expectation that when Camilla dies it returns to his family instead of going to her children or grandchildren. Instead one day it may be the ring that Charles' grandson uses. If it is on loan - if - then Charles has found a way to honour his wife with a piece of his heritage while not denying his children a piece of their heritage.

I'm confused. I understand that the Tiaras are on loan from the royal collection,but I cant't find any references that say the ring is a loan except a post on the RF in June 2013.
What I read is that it is a 1930's Art Deco ring that belonged to the QM and may have been part of the Greville inheritance. The ring was resized to fit Camilla and also the side baguette's were added.
If the ring was 'on loan' I don't thing it would be altered.

Interesting side note Mrs. Greville was the godmother of Sonia Cubitt ( Camilla's grandmother).

Here is my take on the ring. It was left by QEQM to HM, as part of the sovereign to sovereign transfer in 2002. From then on, it was HMs to use or dispose off, as she chose.

In 2005, Charles could have bought a new ring for his wife, but instead, chose to use one that was already in the family. I am sure HM was happy for Charles to use it for Camilla. Was it a loan? Not really, IMO. A gift from HM to Charles: Probably. That is perfectly legal and acceptable.

Had HM died within 7 years of the gift, and assuming this was not considered a sovereign to sovereign transfer (which it will be), then inheritance tax would have been payable on it, assuming the total bequest, including the ring, had exceeded the level for inheritance tax.

Ooooh, how intriguing. That is one huge stone; I wonder what the story is on that gem and I hope she wears it more often. The setting looks fabulous and those earrings look gorgeous as well.

Last edited:
I'm actually glad Camilla didn't wear the necklace because it looked like it was dragging her down. I think that should be given to perhaps a younger person.
Since HMQM wore it in later years I am guessing it comes down to the style and cut of the gown which on this occasion was V necked (to frame the necklace I suppose) and more slim A line with no waist which does not look good on Camilla. I don't think she has worn it again because apart from the colour (which suits her well) it looks just plain awful. Here was this head and neck bejewelled to the nth, and the gown was infinitely forgettable.
Prince Charles has great taste.:D
Indeed he does. I was going to qualify that statement with "for a guy" when I realised it was both sexist and inaccurate. Charles has exquisite taste, full stop! His eye for jewellery, art, architecture, gardening, etc. all speak to a man gifted with an eye for elegance, style and beauty.

But, most important of all, his eye for jewellery seems to allow him to look at a piece of jewellery and know it will suit the style of the intended recipient. Now that is a real gift, to be able to 'see' or acurately 'visualise' a peice of jewellery on the recipient and know it will look perfect.

Now, down to brass tacks . . . I want to see more of this pendant. The design, the shape and facets of the sapphire, etc. A closer look at the earrings wouldn't go astray either.

Last edited:
Never seen the necklace before.

In the close up pic, it actually looks looks like a purple stone, maybe an amethyst rather than a sapphire.

It does have a purplish hue to it but that could just be the lighting. Are those earrings part of the saudi sapphire set?

It does have a purplish hue to it but that could just be the lighting. Are those earrings part of the saudi sapphire set?

I think the earrings are part of the Saudi sapphire and diamond set.

I agree the pendant is probably a massive sapphire, the purple hues could be as a result of the lighting.

Lovelt to see a new piece of jewellery - it's a lovely pendant. Not so keen on the earrings, I think they are part of the Saudi set because they resemble the setting for the necklace.

Whew!!! About 30 carats, and very lovely. The necklace is wrong for it tho. It needs a flat, necklace with some chasing to match the pendulous pendant. It would help it hang straight, too.

Whew!!! About 30 carats, and very lovely. The necklace is wrong for it tho. It needs a flat, necklace with some chasing to match the pendulous pendant. It would help it hang straight, too.

I agree, the pendant is lovely. Perhaps the collet necklace could be a bit shorter, which would allow the pendant to sit better, and higher.

this pendant looks very familiar for me. maybe it was sold in an auction recently :confused:

Yes, I was also wondering if it was maybe an old family heirloom or maybe purchased at auction. Does anyone one know anything about it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

Thanks for the closeup of the pendant, Spheno. While the necklace is lovely, I also think a sturdier, flatter necklace would benefit the pendant and help it lay flat against the neck. That is a gorgeous stone and a magnificent setting.

Thanks for the closeup of the pendant, Spheno. While the necklace is lovely, I also think a sturdier, flatter necklace would benefit the pendant and help it lay flat against the neck. That is a gorgeous stone and a magnificent setting.

Oops - that pendant needed a test run on that necklace.

It's a fantastic stone, but I am not a fan of the way the setting does not really want to lay flat/straight. It looks ok in the last photo, but the rest look like it's 'top heavy' by the stone being too deep and the setting to flat. I vote for a rework more like that padparadsha sapphire she wears which is about the same size but seems much better balanced in the setting.

ITA w/everyone saying the pendant needs a different necklace, a shorter one, to keep it flat. Even so, that is one gorgeous piece of jewelry. If a gift from Charles, the he's just like my Dad, they both have incredible taste when it comes to jewelry gift giving.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Perhaps the necklace was received on one of the more recent visits to the Middle-East

the necklace is very nice and the earings are such beautiful

The pendant looks good here lying flat but what's the string on her R wrist . Braided gold and red thread

Was tied on her wrist during the recent trip to India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom