Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rubies are my favourtie, they are just breath taking. I remember the sapphires now, but I hadn't realised they were a gift. :flowers:

I just find them to be something one would expect a Malaysian Sultana or Lalla Salma of Morocco to wear, not a European royal Duchess. Too many emeralds, and not enough diamonds I think. The emeralds are quite large and as such, are rather intense.

Indeed, the Cambridge emeralds are nothing short of stunning!

The middle eastern rulers like giving big 'bling' - especially with large gemstones to which they have readier access from southern asia than diamonds. Besides which I think both Camilla and Prince Charles have a liking for jewellery with an Art Deco-like design which the emeralds have.

Why do the British have to report when they are given jewels and others do not? Just a law in England? We always seem to know where jewels come from on Camilla, Diana, Sophie even the Queen. There always seems to be 'some' kind of information.

With recent gifts presented to him on official engagements the Prince is obliged to list them for audit purposes - they usually appear on his website near the beginning of the following year they were given. For some odd reason gifts presented to the Queen are not similarly listed or publicised.

The emerald stones are lovely, and sometimes Camilla likes to "mix-it-up", but I, like my Dear Madame Royale, VASTLY prefer the Cambridge emeralds. Of course, I have long going love affair with anything worn by Queen Mary, so I may be a touch biased.
I do prefer the Saudi Sapphires over the emeralds, and the rubies over the emeralds, so I guess my order of preference would be sapphires, rubies, emeralds.

On another note, Camilla has worn that remarkable choker again!
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
I love this piece. She wears large jewels quite well, in my own, humble opinion.

The Cambridge emeralds are in the league of their own; any relatively modern piece is bound to loose in comparison.

I love this choker; Camilla can definitely wear large jewels like this.

Not sure I'm fond of these Saudi parures; they are just a little modern-looking for my taste, I like more classical designs.
The sapphires were nice enough, the emeralds are also fine but I thought the rubies were a bit over-the-top, at least the way Camilla wore them. Two or three rows would be enough, especially with that burgundy dress.

It looks like we share fascination with Queen Mary's taste in outfits and (especially!!!) jewels; there was a Royal, who knew how to combine and mix the most unlikely pieces! :crown2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Camilla's recent pink choker but it looks too similar to Diana's sapphire choker. It's practically the same diamond setting and pearls. It looks like she is copying her. Was this given to Camilla by the Queen? Does anyone have any info on it?

I like Camilla's recent pink choker but it looks too similar to Diana's sapphire choker. It's practically the same diamond setting and pearls. It looks like she is copying her. Was this given to Camilla by the Queen? Does anyone have any info on it?

This piece, the pink topaz/sapphire/amethyst (I"m not sure what the stone is) I believe, was purchased at auction by Charles for Camilla. It made it's debut at the Mark Phillips' wedding to Autumn Kelly (I think that was the first appearance--someone correct me if I am wrong, please).
I do agree that they are similar styles, Camilla's is obviously Edwardian in nature with large pearls and Diana's had multiple layers of what appear to be seed pearls:
http://photos.weddingbycolor.com/p/000/005/885/m/49939/p/thumbnail/145922.jpg
but the style is so common I doubt Camilla is copying Diana, especially as Camilla has shown preference for the style since the 1970's by wearing this family piece:
http://static.open.salon.com/files/a_camilla_parker_bowles_001_0318071218766846.jpg

I personally think the style suits Camilla quite well--she never seems overpowered by large jewels and wears them quite well.

I don't understand why Camilla would wear such a fancy emerald necklace and earrings for a daytime event. Rather tacky!

The sapphire suite is very nice, but the rubies and emeralds are pretty obnoxious "nouveau riche" type of pieces. We're talking millions of dollars on her neck.

I don't understand why Camilla would wear such a fancy emerald necklace and earrings for a daytime event. Rather tacky!

The sapphire suite is very nice, but the rubies and emeralds are pretty obnoxious "nouveau riche" type of pieces. We're talking millions of dollars on her neck.

I don't think it was a day event. It was an evening gala, with Charles and Tom P-B in black tie, and Camilla in a full length dress / skirt. It just does not get fully dark till 10.30pm in London these days.

The middle eastern rulers like giving big 'bling' - especially with large gemstones to which they have readier access from southern asia than diamonds. Besides which I think both Camilla and Prince Charles have a liking for jewellery with an Art Deco-like design which the emeralds have.

I accept that M-E rulers like bling, but I wondered if you had any basis for suggesting that
especially with large gemstones to which they have readier access from southern asia than diamonds.

My guess is that these jewels were probably put together by one of the larger jewellery houses from Europe, under instructions from the Saudi RF.

Are we sure those are the emeralds and not a modern jade or cheaper green stone?

The parure appears very similar in design to the Sapphire and Ruby parures, so it is reasonable to conclude this is indeed the third and last Saudi parure (the emerald one).

It's indeed reasonable to assume that this is the emerald demi-parure, not seen in public up to now.
I disagree that the design of the three necklaces is very similar though.
The 'bib' ruby necklace is overwhelming and quite simply gaudy, and the design of this emerald necklace is totally unimaginative - probably beautiful stones, but all just set in a square frame of small diamonds and hung on a string. Personally, I don't like it.
The sapphire necklace is the best of the lot IMO, with its quite classically beautiful pendant design.

I think the necklaces of all 3 parures can be modified; they can be worn either as one row (as Camilla chose to wear the sapphire and the emerald ones) or as two or more row necklace (as she chose to do with the Ruby one).

The Sapphire parure is my favourite by far as well.

:ohmy:Seeing all three suites at once....Wow. and these came from 1 visit??? Wow did she bring home the serious loot that trip. I can't believe it! While I like all the sets nothing compares to the old hand made designs...but I guess I would still take them!;)

New diamond broach?

I must admit I'm not well versed in Camilla's jewelry, but is this a new diamond broach?

Getty
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2312/camilladiamondbroach.jpg

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 01: HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall prepares to pin a campaign medal on to a Naval officer at Clarence House on July 1, 2009 in London, England. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Pool/Getty Images)

I've never seen it. It looks to be a Deco piece. Really pretty on the white suit! Camilla is really pulling out alot of different jewels. I love it!!!

Looks like something out of the Queen Mother's jewel box. I'm not sure but it looks, from a distance, like a very stylized thistle. I'd be more ready to say thistle for sure if she was wearing it in Scotland, so I'm not sure. Authorities?

The rubies were quite an eyeful, the sapphires were lovely, the emeralds would have looked nicer with the right outfit. Who gets all these 'gifts', the crown or her children?

Who gets all these 'gifts', the crown or her children?

It depends on whether she received the gifts in her official capacity, or they were personal gifts.

The problem with these kind of pieces is that it's always a little bit tacky and the craftmanship is not perfect. However the sapphire suite is the best i think, a good ballance btw the rubie one (well far too much) and the emerald one (beautiful but a little too simple in the design).

Rubies

Getty Images - Navigateur non pris en charge

Sapphires

Emeralds

I'd have to agree - the Sapphires are the best. They aren't over the top like the Rubies, and the Emeralds are lacking oompf!

I agree that the sapphires the best and the rubies are way too much. The emeralds aren't that bad, but the modern design requires a different style of clothing, imo. Maybe an strapless gown on a younger woman (like Kate?). At least I think that the white jacket with the details on the collar (lace?) does not complement clear and linear design of the jewels.

WOW! All 3 necklaces are magnificent.:rolleyes: I think Camilla has the exclusive use of the most jewels amongst all Crown Princesses, I wouldn't mind having just one stone out of the necklaces, ( a substantial size, of course;))

I liked the sapphire & the pearl necklace a lot.She IS an elegant lady,isn't she?

WOW! All 3 necklaces are magnificent.:rolleyes: I think Camilla has the exclusive use of the most jewels amongst all Crown Princesses, I wouldn't mind having just one stone out of the necklaces, ( a substantial size, of course;))

The British Royal Family certainly has the most impressive collection of jewellery and Camilla, as wife to the Heir to the Throne, probably has access to most of it. I assume (and hope) that we will see yet more pieces once Camilla is a Queen; I think she can pull of some of the magnificent pieces last seen during Queen Mary’s time.
I just find it very sad that most of the most magnificent pieces in the Royal Collection never see the light of the day these days (granted, still more than in any other Royal Family).

The emeralds that Camilla recently wore have been widely commented on this forum as being a gift from the Saudi's. This is a reasonable assumption as Saudi emeralds had not been publicly seen till the evening. Just a thought: could these have been from the Sultan of Brunei? It was revealed that Camilla had been gifted some jewellery when C&C visited last year, but never identified.

I like the emeralds in the square settings but she did wear them with the wrong neckline. I wonder how they would look set up as a tiara.

I'm hoping Camilla turns the ruby necklace into a tiara and small necklace set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom