Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brooch

Commemoration, Celebration and Rededication for the 90th Anniversary of Combat Stress, Westminster Abbey, 12 May 2009.
An interesting brooch worn by Camilla to this service: DOC Brooch
The brooch is another from the Queen Mother's collection.

Last edited:
Commemoration, Celebration and Rededication for the 90th Anniversary of Combat Stress, Westminster Abbey, 12 May 2009.

This brooch has made several appearnces including one at Trooping the Colour - sorry I don't keep track of data for the DoC though (too busy cataloguing the Queen's brooches!):flowers:

Coincidentally, there is a photo of the Queen Mother wearing what certainly appears to this very brooch, posted by Joe on the Royal Jewels board:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Queen Mother Early Jewels

Last edited:
brooch

I have a picture of the Queen Mother wearing this same brooch when probably The Duchess of York, from the look of the dress fashion.

Seen previously, but another brooch with a difference.
It appears to be gold, diamonds, sapphires and amethysts (?)
Camilla at the Royal Ballet School, White Lodge, Richmond, 13 May 2009.
pics courtesy of iceflower in the British Forum

Last edited:
:previous: That necklace is not too shabby either. :wub: I don't remember seeing it before, but that is probably just brain fade. :rolleyes2:

:previous:
She's wearing quite a bit of gold, see here.
iceflower again.

What a lovely brooch to wear on this occasion. Does anyone know the history of it - I wonder if it's modelled on a famous dancer such as Pavlova?

Last edited by a moderator:
Camilla at the Classic Brit music awards ceremony on Thursday, May 14.

Camilla sported a diamond and aquamarine set (earrings, necklace, bracelet) I've never seen before.

From Getty
ImageShack® - Gallery

This is a lovely set--very nice. I always get excited when HRH wears something new.

Gorgeous jewels on the Duchess. Wonder where they came from?

Does anyone have a clear pic of the earrings?

That necklace is to die for. Wow! Anyone have any clearer photos of the suite? :wub: In my dreams there is also an absoulutely fabulous matching tiara hidden away somewhere . . . . . . .

That necklace is to die for. Wow! Anyone have any clearer photos of the suite? :wub: In my dreams there is also an absoulutely fabulous matching tiara hidden away somewhere . . . . . . .

Oh, I do agree, Marg. I know that Camilla wears two very important tiaras (Delhi Durbar and the Boucheron Greville piece) and that she has a lovely family tiara, but I would really like to see her in something new or different. Maxima continues to delight us with different and long unseen pieces (the Ruby Peacock tiara) and I think if Queen Bea can be generous, there really is no reason why QEII can't share open up the vault a bit wider. I would love to see Camilla wear a tiara with stones other than diamonds (did I really just say that???)!

No I would say that the changes were made before it was given to the QM, by Queen Mary. I think that because of the designe if the frame is removed that it can be made to close or widen at the need of the wearer.

It was not changed. There is a photograph of Queen Elizabeth wearing it during the state visit to South Africa and it was still an enclosed diadem on the crown of her head.

She never wore it again, so it was modified after her death for Camilla's use.

When the piece was photographed for Munn's book it was still an enclosed diadem as well, so obviously when it was offered to HRH she didn't really want it to sit quite so high and it was altered to be worn more as a diadem--

This brooch has made several appearnces including one at Trooping the Colour - sorry I don't keep track of data for the DoC though (too busy cataloguing the Queen's brooches!):flowers:

Coincidentally, there is a photo of the Queen Mother wearing what certainly appears to this very brooch, posted by Joe on the Royal Jewels board:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Queen Mother Early Jewels
Lovely to see both the Duchess of York { Q. Mum] and Duchess of Cornwall both wearing this brooch.
Joe of RJWMB kindly took time to find this photo, from information he requested from me.
Hence my post that appears below the quote.

Delhi Durbar Diadem - split or intact?

When the piece was photographed for Munn's book it was still an enclosed diadem as well, so obviously when it was offered to HRH she didn't really want it to sit quite so high and it was altered to be worn more as a diadem--
This issue of the Delhi Durbar "alteration" has been bubbling along since Camilla first wore it in October 2005. To my knowledge, despite what is sometimes stated as fact, I have not seen any proof that the diadem has been sliced open to make it a tiara.

Here's the Delhi Durbar Diadem from Munn.
Discussion of Camilla's debut tiara appearance and whether the diadem was sliced and diced begins at post 167 of the DOC Jewels thread 2. There was video of the Diplomatic Reception available at the time and nothing was proven (the video was discussed in the thread).

I'm sceptical of believing the rear of the diadem has been split down the middle or that this Imperial jewel would be tampered with in such a drastic manner. It would look very odd if the sides didn't taper, and the structure of the diadem makes tapering impossible. Although it's obvious some alteration was done for Camilla there is no clear pictorial evidence of the diadem's back to support a statement of fact that it has been split.

Last edited:
You can clearly see from the photograph that Camilla is wearing it much lower as a tiara with the sides framing her temples and not enclosed. She has a large head and a lot of hair, and as a diadem she would have to wear it like a crown on the top of her head.

It's an easy modification to open it up and put it on a new frame without compromising the original elements.

I just wonder, if Queen Mary (in all her jewel wearing wisdom) had that piece created in such a way that it could be worn either high on the head or as Camilla has worn it, a bit lower. It could be that in the back, where the design is intricate, that it does in fact separate a bit--or, perhaps the base can be removed and then allowed to sit lower on the head. I seem to recall a picture of the "Girls" worn by Queen Mary with the upright pearls still in place and it sat on top of the head in a circle. That tiara, pictured here:
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
originally was worn in what appears to be a complete circle on top of the head--and it is obviously not worn that way at all now, so it was obviously split:
http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/pic/FIP/EN-00060-C~Queen-Elizabeth-II-Posters.jpg

Looking at photos it is obvious something was done---but I do agree that it was in no way a drastic remodeling--

When I look at photos of queen Mary wearing the Delhi Durbar, it seems to me that the tiara is fairly wide in diameter. It only sits so high on the crown of her head because it is cushioned by Mary's voluminous hairdo. Whatever she did with her hair to be able to support the tiara, without it the tiara would just sink in and it look fairly like Camilla, IMO.
The construction of the Girls of Ireland and Great Britain Tiara is open at the back, unlike the Delhi Durbar tiara. I don't think that they can be compared in this respect.
Hopefully Camilla will wear this stunning piece of juwellery again soon, so we might get a look from a better angle!

Very nice picture, Andrew!

I agree about the hair; I didn't mention though because QEQM never wore hairpieces and when she wore it the one time it was fairly high up--

Thanks Andrew,

A very good picture unless someone has one take from the back?:whistling:

When I look at photos of queen Mary wearing the Delhi Durbar, it seems to me that the tiara is fairly wide in diameter. It only sits so high on the crown of her head because it is cushioned by Mary's voluminous hairdo. Whatever she did with her hair to be able to support the tiara, without it the tiara would just sink in and it look fairly like Camilla, IMO.

Queen Mary, like many others of her time, often wore hairpieces or wiglets. The tiaras and diadems of the day were designed to accomodate the wigs.

She stopped this practice in the 1920's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom