Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure she has access to the treasures accumulated over the years by the Royal Family. If for example, she was wearing a gown of carribean blue to some event, I'm sure she can send a request thru her staff to see if there were any aquamarines available. Whats the point of having all that stuff if it never gets worn?

Ok,I'll take the pearl necklace :cool: Now seriously,does Camilla own most of these jewels?

Some of her jewels are heirlooms inherited from her mother, others are gifts from Prince Charles or the Saudi King. The royal pieces are technically "on loan" from The Queen since she inherited all of The Queen Mother's jewels.

I'm sure she has access to the treasures accumulated over the years by the Royal Family. If for example, she was wearing a gown of carribean blue to some event, I'm sure she can send a request thru her staff to see if there were any aquamarines available. Whats the point of having all that stuff if it never gets worn?

The Queen is pretty stingy with the royal collection of jewels. She rarely lends pieces out to members of the royal family.

Camilla has the use of The Queen Mother's collection from what we've seen.

That's a nice collection to be able to use, in my own opinion. The emerald drop earrings alone are amazing, in my personal opinion.

Thank you all for the information!!I was a little bit surprised that Camilla recieves jewels as gifts from the Saudi King.Why is that?Does the BRF have such strong relationship with this King?

They've all received serious jewels from the Saudi Royals--Diana received that fabulous sapphire suite (the one she buried), HM has received beautiful jewels from them--rubies and diamonds, etc.... I think even Sarah got some rubies.

Ok,I'll take the pearl necklace :cool: Now seriously,does Camilla own most of these jewels?

There are some jewels that Camilla has received as gifts from other royal families (inclkuding the Saudi's) since marrying Prince Charles. Some of these have been classified as gifts to the royal collection,to avoid having topay taxes ojn them. If I am not mistaken, some of the saudi preents (ruby breastplate, emeralds etc) have been classified so, and are therefore, not "owned" by Camilla.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that Camilla's jewels that have been given to her are in fact part of the Royal Collection, which they should be. Does that mean that Sophie's rubies are part of the royal collection as well? I confess, I get a muddled about what is and is not in the collection at times.

The whole issue IS muddled where any piece of jewelry dating back to before 1995 is concerned, because in contrast to for example the Dutch regulations, the guidelines about the official gifts to the Windsors do not state that they're meant to be retro-active.
Regarding Sophie's rubies (I don't remember them): If they were given as an official gift, of course they belong to the Royal Collection as well, and not to the Countess.

So, back to Camilla and her jewels--I do wonder if she will be going to Sweden for CP Victoria's wedding and what jewels we might see her in--but more importantly, between now and then, are there any tiara events? I have grown weary of seeing the Honeycomb tiara.

As for tiara events attended by Camilla: March 30th, state banquet for the President of Mexico, who is on a state visit to Britain.

I would love to see Camilla in a tiara and whole suite of sapphires!!

Any jewels presented to The Queen or other members of the royal family while on official business or during a state visit have always been accepted on behalf of the Crown to be worn in right of it. That practice dates back to Queen Victoria and is not new.

Jewels given as a private gift (i.e. a wedding present) are not taxed and belong to the individual as their private property. They can choose, as Camilla did, to accept the gift on behalf of the Crown for the royal collection, but it's not required.

Whether they pay taxes on the gift or not is done on a case-by-case basis by the Keeper of the Privy Purse in consultation with The Private Secretary to The Sovereign.

NONE of the jewels which were given to Camilla during official tours are owned by her. They belong to the Royal Collection.
The only piece of jewelry Camilla indicated was accepted on behalf of the Crown was the spectacular ruby and diamond necklace she received from Prince Al Waleed bin Talal during their official visit to Saudi Arabia.

She has received other jewels from the Saudi royal family, including sapphires and diamonds, which may have been wedding gifts. These are her private property unless she states otherwise, just as they were for Princess Diana.

The Queen inherited all of her mother's personal property, including her jewels.
The Delhi Durbar diadem was given to The Queen Mother by Queen Mary as a gift. She apparently only wore it once, on a state visit to South Africa, and then it disappeared. It was extensively remodeled for Camilla to fit as a tiara and was a wedding gift from The Queen.

The Delhi Durbar diadem . . . . . It was extensively remodeled for Camilla to fit as a tiara and was a wedding gift from The Queen.
I know this is the wrong thread but I do not believe that the Delhi Durbar diadem was "extensively" or otherwise remodeled for Camilla's use.

I also believe the that Queen Elizabeth has given Camilla exclusive rights of usage "for the duration" so to speak, thus ensuring that significant and historical pieces stay within the family and do not end up being willed ouside the main line in the BRF and being sold by descendents.

Please feel free to move this post to where it should be.

So any tiaras on the state visit from mexico?

The Duchess did not attend, she was ill at that time....

Gosh it seems that all The POW has been doing in the past few years is filling up his wife's jewellery box:lol::lol::lol:

Not that she needed any help. Camilla had quite a formidable collection on her own without the help of either of her husbands.

That is certainly true! She has inherited many lovely pieces from her mother, and of course Charles gave her many trinkets as well. Now, with the inclusion of many of the Queen Mother's pieces, she has really expanded the jewel box--but I like how she has certain pieces she enjoys wearing repeatedly.

I know this is the wrong thread but I do not believe that the Delhi Durbar diadem was "extensively" or otherwise remodeled for Camilla's use.

I also believe the that Queen Elizabeth has given Camilla exclusive rights of usage "for the duration" so to speak, thus ensuring that significant and historical pieces stay within the family and do not end up being willed ouside the main line in the BRF and being sold by descendents.

The Delhi Durbar was a originally designed to be worn high on the head as a diadem. It was definitely "opened up" so Camilla could wear it as a tiara more comfortably.

Given that Camilla is the second wife of Prince Charles and they do not have any children, it would make sense that any royal jewels would return to the Crown after her death and/or be left to William and Harry's wives in the future.

The Delhi Durbar was a originally designed to be worn high on the head as a diadem. It was definitely "opened up" so Camilla could wear it as a tiara more comfortably.

Given that Camilla is the second wife of Prince Charles and they do not have any children, it would make sense that any royal jewels would return to the Crown after her death and/or be left to William and Harry's wives in the future.

There is no doubt that the Delhi Durbar was remodelled after the Durbar. What I am not sure about is whether the change for it to be used as a tiara and not a diadem was done under the instructions of Queen Mary (quite like she had the Culinan and the Cambridge emeralds removed) or more recently, specifically for Camilla.

I think that it was just the frame that was changed and 2 new elements to replace the larger stones- didn’t the Queen Mother wear it once?

I think that it was just the frame that was changed and 2 new elements to replace the larger stones- didn’t the Queen Mother wear it once?

The QM wore it in 1947. Are you suggesting the changes were made specifically for Camilla or were previously made?

There is no doubt that the Delhi Durbar was remodelled after the Durbar. What I am not sure about is whether the change for it to be used as a tiara and not a diadem was done under the instructions of Queen Mary (quite like she had the Culinan and the Cambridge emeralds removed) or more recently, specifically for Camilla.

When it was later remodelled then during them time it ws in the posession of the Queen Mother as it was on an exhibition in the Vicotira and albert Museum in i believe 2000 and then it looked the same way how it looks today.

The QM wore it in 1947. Are you suggesting the changes were made specifically for Camilla or were previously made?
No I would say that the changes were made before it was given to the QM, by Queen Mary. I think that because of the designe if the frame is removed that it can be made to close or widen at the need of the wearer.

I have to say the Majesty article on Camilla's jewels was very disappointing. They could have learnt more just by reading these forum pages. Or they could or should have done their homework and made an official effort to find out. Lazy journalism in my view for an otherwise reasonably good magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom