Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, dear members, could someone kindly come to my rescue here. The Noble Warren perhaps.?? I just purused the latest issue of Majesty Magazine and in it are picutures of the state dinner for the President of France. The Queen is magnificent in her ruby bedecked splendor and in the background of the foursome there is a picture of various and sundry royals including Princess Camilla. She is a wearing a tiara which I do not recognize. Of course it may be one that she has worn before the photo of which is not sufficiently clear or perhaps she is wearing a new contraption upon the ducal head??? Pant, pant, drool in anticipation. If anyone would be kind enough to pander to my insatiable and incurable ongoing madness I would be grateful. Cheers.

Thomas, she was wearing the Boucheron (sp?) Honeycomb tiara for the State Dinner for the Sarkozys. I know you've seen it before, and atop Camilla's head :flowers:

Cat

...or perhaps she is wearing a new contraption upon the ducal head???
Thomas, did you think that Camilla wearing a new tiara hadn't rated a mention in her own jewels thread? Oh, ye of little faith. :nonono:

Not ye of little faith, O Most Noble and Glorious Warren, Moderator Splendissimus, but ye of little brain. Between the Lyme disease and my chocoholism plus my newly discovered passion, ie lust, for roses I am just not in my right mind or anybody's right mind for that matter. But the picture really is not very clear. And my roses were having a fit, or the Black Spot or some such and I was really distraught when I read that article, by way of soothing the shattered nerves. They have revived and fortunately I have not yet lived down to my real name: ie, the Black Thumb of Death. but it may come yet. Cheers.

Duchess of Cornwall, wedding of Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly, May 2008.
Wearing a large and previously unseen 5-strand pearl, diamond and pink topaz choker.

Image courtesy of Tamara at RJOTWMB

Last edited:
Wow. I'd say this was Diamond and Amythyst but I could be wrong. Whatever it is, it's absolutely gorgeous. I'd say that Camilla was the best dressed guest at the wedding. I've love to see the centre of the choker added to some kind of diamond necklace so we could see it with a tiara.

Warren, thank you so much for the photo. I was viewing it at work but couldn't open the pic. But wow! It was well worth the wait. :w00t2:
Any idea of it's provenance or is it another "little gem" from the legenary vaults? :in_love:

Judging by it's setting, the use of gold, and the detailing of the centrepiece, I'd put money on it that it's Victorian. Whether from the vaults or a private purchase, who knows.

Who knows?? The wonderful experts on the RJWMB know!
Thanks to CindyM: The set of pink topaz and diamonds (originally a brooch, now the choker’s centerpiece, with matching earrings) is Edwardian and was purchased at auction at Sotheby’s in the year 2000.

Not often I loose money on a bet..haha.

Edwardian, would have been my second choice...:rolleyes::D

Aquired in the year 2000 you say. By Charles for Camilla do we know?

I’d say it’s most likely that the Prince of Wales purchased it for the then Camilla Parker Bowles - why should it have changed owners since. Converting it into a choker took time too.
Price tag back in June 2000 for the brooch and earrings: 22,925 British Pounds.

The choker looked lovely on Camilla. I suspect it was a recent purchase, as Camilla does not appear to have worn it to a public outing. Given that in the initial 6-12 months of being married she had access to a lot less jewellery than now, I would have thought she would have used it. In those days, she relied quite heavily on the 2 pearl chokers she had prior to her wedding

. . . . Converting it into a choker took time too. Price tag back in June 2000 for the brooch and earrings: 22,925 British Pounds.
The PoW certainly has an eye for jewelry and knows what suits Camilla. Turning it into a semi formal suite was a masterstroke. :in_love:

why should it have changed owners since.

Don't recall insinuating it did.

Thank you for providing the information. At a price tag of 22,925 GBP, I think it's safe to say there was a long standing intent that Camilla would someday be his wife.

Though, converting it into a necklace wouldn't have taken so long if the pearls were already in possession of either the recipient or the purchaser. Perhaps it took time to aquire the desired pearls so as to create the choker?

8 years to create a choker? Does not sound reasonable! I think thisis porobably something Camilla has only just recently acquired

Does not sound reasonable

When aquiring pearls, you would be surprised just how long some wish to wait so as to guarantee shape, size and luster. I have no clue as to whether or not that is the case with this item of jewellery, so thought I'd put forth my question in the hope someone may infact know.

When aquiring pearls, you would be surprised just how long some wish to wait so as to guarantee shape, size and luster.
Having spend almost 23 thousand pounds on the 'Centrepiece', what's a few years to make it perfect. And on closer inspection those pearls are, if not perfect, to die for. :in_love:

Musn't forget the earrings...;)

Have we seen Camilla wear the earrings before? I have a feeling we may have, but I am perhaps confusing them with amethysts. A little hazy is my recollection.

When aquiring pearls, you would be surprised just how long some wish to wait so as to guarantee shape, size and luster. I have no clue as to whether or not that is the case with this item of jewellery, so thought I'd put forth my question in the hope someone may infact know.
I agree finding the right pearls can sometimes take time, but when you have access to the worlds best jewellers, it really does not take very long.

It may well be that the brooch was acquired by the QM, or by somebody for the QM and not used by her in her lifetime. As the Queen slowly parts with more of QMs jewels and hands them to Camilla, it may be that this was a recently given to Camilla to use.

but when you have access to the worlds best jewellers, it really does not take very long.

It is only when you wait, can you then be assured it is of the best craftmanship and finnest materials. Even the world's well renowned jewellers have to, from time to time, wait if they are to deliver on quality.

Though no expert in jewellery as such, I do possess a great interest in the industry and spend far too much money on acquiring the pieces I have (I recall having had my telephone and electricity cut off once because I couldn't afford to pay the bills, given the money I had forked out for a bracelet, also by Makers Mark...though that was some time ago now). At the moment I'm awaiting the arrival of a ring I had commissioned by Makers Mark, recently.

It's an 18ct White Gold Stamen Design Tahitian South Sea Pearl Ring with Round Brilliant Cut Diamonds. As I don't wear yellow gold, I've had the band cast in white gold.

Actually, here's the Makers Mark link and the particular ring I'm talking of.

It may well be that the brooch was acquired by the QM, or by somebody for the QM and not used by her in her lifetime. As the Queen slowly parts with more of QMs jewels and hands them to Camilla, it may be that this was a recently given to Camilla to use.

Anything is likely. I assumed it was brought for Camilla by Charles, but it could be just as likely that it was bought for the late Queen Mother, I suppose.

Last edited:
Madame Royale is correct--I have had several specially commissioned pieces made (I believe in giving myself a birthday gift!) and it does take time, and I do have an exceptional jeweler, but finding perfectly matched pieces takes awhile.
Madame Royale--wonderful website--your ring is going to be gorgeous (and look so much better in the white metal)

...here's the Makers Mark link and the particular ring I'm talking of.
Lovely ring, Madame Royal. You are very fortunate to be able to have jewellery commissionned specifically to your taste and size.

Surely though, with your extensive experience in these matters, if a jeweller told you to wait 8 years for a 5 string pearl necklace, you may find that a bit long. Do not get me wrong - I accept that for some things you have to wait for jewellers to be able to find matching pieces, especially if you want various precious stones matched up. But I am not sure a 5 string pearl necklace falls in that category. They look like good quality pearls, but they certainly don't come across as anything exceptional. The whole chokerput together is certainly exceptional, but that is largely down to the brooch they started with!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are very fortunate to be able to have jewellery commissionned specifically to your taste and size.

Fortunate or foolish...haha...nieces and nephews will no doubt tend to me in my latter years!

Surely though, with your extensive experience in these matters, if a jeweller told you to wait 8 years for a 5 string pearl necklace, you may find that a bit long. Do not get me wrong - I accept that for some things you have to wait for jewellers to be able to find matching pieces, especially if you want various precious stones matched up. But I am not sure a 5 string pearl necklace falls in that category. They look like good quality pearls, but they certainly don't come across as anything exceptional. The whole chokerput together is certainly exceptional, but that is largely down to the brooch they started with!

8 years would be a very very long time to wait, and I don't necessarily think that the case with this particular choker. On the chance the pearls were specifically acquired on commission then there's no doubt there would have been an expected wait of some considerable time, but 8 years would be, in my estimation, incredibly unlikely. If the centrepiece was bought for 23,000 GBP, there's not a chance they are going to be fitted with an ordinary selection of pearls. A true insult to not only the wearer, but the piece itself.

We know when it was purchased, but we dont know when the strands were added. It could have been any time between the date of purchase and the Phillips wedding. And we aren't aware if the pearls were already privately owned by the now wearer, or indeed by the Prince of Wales.

I'd be interested to learn of their current market value.

Madame Royale is correct--I have had several specially commissioned pieces made (I believe in giving myself a birthday gift!) and it does take time, and I do have an exceptional jeweler, but finding perfectly matched pieces takes awhile.

Madame Royale--wonderful website--your ring is going to be gorgeous (and look so much better in the white metal)

I think we've established the American version of moi..hehe. Good work, jcbcode99!

Last edited:
What do you think will happen to most of Camilla's jewellery? Do you think that most will go the William or Camilla's daughter? I not sure if most of it has to go to William. The DOC sure does have some beautiful jewellery!!!!

We know when it was purchased, but we dont know when the strands were added. It could have been any time between the date of purchase and the Phillips wedding. And we aren't aware if the pearls were already privately owned by the now wearer, or indeed by the Prince of Wales.
Given the time lapse and the age and style of the centrepiece I believe it gives credence to the notion that it was purchased on behalf of the Queen Mother and made it's way to Camilla via the Queen and Prince Charles.

What do you think will happen to most of Camilla's jewellery? Do you think that most will go the William or Camilla's daughter? I not sure if most of it has to go to William. The DOC sure does have some beautiful jewellery!!!!

Any personal jewellery belonging to the Duchess would, I'd assume, be devided between her blood children. Tom and Laura.

Perhaps a little something left for William or Harry, but as they stand to inherit their own mothers private collection of jewels, not tot to mention, in the case of William, the entire royal vault, I don't think that particularly likely.

Given the time lapse and the age and style of the centrepiece I believe it gives credence to the notion that it was purchased on behalf of the Queen Mother and made it's way to Camilla via the Queen and Prince Charles.

That would see the more likely scenario. Though I have a feeling the pearls were added after the Queen Mother's time. Chokers weren't really her thing.

Last edited:
Anything with Royal provenance will remain within the BRF, most probably going to William or Harry (or horror of horror) back to the vaults! :flowers:
Personal gifts like her new choker are hers to dispose of as she wishes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom