Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But it would help to hold her hair more in place. If it's windy Camilla's hair often doesn't look good anymore.

Might the solution be a different hairstyle, or some more hairspray? :flowers:

muriel said:
In fairness, I can't really disagree with the line she has taken with hats and tiaras. The fact is that women in the UK hardly wear hats any more (and certainly, do not really wear tiaras at all, other than as brides); hats are typically only worn for weddings, and in some cases, funerals and chritenings. If Camilla were to appear in a hat all the time, she really would look at odds with the people.

But QEII always wears hats and she doesn't look at odds w/ the people.... I just think Camilla doesn't have the best hat wearing face/ability... I know I don't , most hats look funny on me;)

One would think, Muriel! The hat thing can appear quite dated, unless, of course,one is THE icon of the 20-21st century, The Queen! ;)

But QEII always wears hats and she doesn't look at odds w/ the people.... I just think Camilla doesn't have the best hat wearing face/ability... I know I don't , most hats look funny on me;)

IMO, the Queen is.... the Queen! She does not need to follow fashion, and she really does not need to appear to be one of the people. She is also nearly 85 years old, and can't really be expected to change the way she has always dressed "for work".

I do think Camilla looks lovely most times when she wears a hat, unless it is one of those berets she seems to like every now and then. If anything, I think Camilla really has the presence and character to pull off a large hat.

I find it hard to see Camilla without hats. I hope when she will be Queen that she tries to wear hats at much as possible.

No, I do not think this neckalce has been worn before in public.
I don't know if anybody has answered already, but I found a good reference on the RJWMB:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: The Duchess of Cornwall in Madrid tonight

Quote from Boffer at RJOTWMB:
The necklace was a gift to the then Mrs. Parker-Bowels from the Prince of Wales prior to their marriage.
In the late 1990s the Prince acquired a rather nondescript tiara, and the stones were reset into this necklace and matching earrings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting find, countess f! Thank you for sharing..

The Duchess has also worn a new gold round plaques braceletnot seen before.

The Duchess has also worn a new gold round plaques braceletnot seen before.

The gold bracelet.
This is the first time I have been able to post a picture.

IMG_0003-10.jpg

:previous: These series of photos provide some of the best shots of Camilla's engagement ring. Perhaps it is the light but it is lighter and brighter than I have ever seen in previous official photos. I actually thought it rather dark and ugly. Needless to say I have changed my mind! :lol:

I don't know if anybody has answered already, but I found a good reference on the RJWMB:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: The Duchess of Cornwall in Madrid tonight

Quote from Boffer at RJOTWMB:
The necklace was a gift to the then Mrs. Parker-Bowels from the Prince of Wales prior to their marriage.
In the late 1990s the Prince acquired a rather nondescript tiara, and the stones were reset into this necklace and matching earrings.

Countess Felicitas, Many thanks for posting the information from the RJOTWMB, that could certainly be a theory. However, I am not inclined to give it much credence as early in her marriage to Charles, IMO, Camilla had relatively few jewels, and often used the diamond serpent necklace for want of alternattives. No hard facts to back this up, but is what I would think.

My guess is that this is either a relatively recent acquisition or a present - could be either from Brunei when C&C visited in late 2008, or from other sources (from the Qatari's when they visited the UK recently?).

Camilla wearing the necklace many years before the marriage.

IMG-17.jpg

I guess "relatively recent" is pretty open, but I doubt the necklace is new or newish.
Here are pics from the 1990s to March 2011 where Camilla is wearing what appears to the identical diamond necklace.

thumbnail 1: 1990s
thumbnail 2: December 2005
thumbnail 3: December 2008
thumbnail 4: March 2011

Attachments

• DOC Diamonds 1990s. Gift from POW made from old tiara.jpg
    DOC Diamonds 1990s. Gift from POW made from old tiara.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 448
  • DOC Diamond Necklace Dec05.jpg
    DOC Diamond Necklace Dec05.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 422
  • DOC Diamond Necklace Dec08.jpg
    DOC Diamond Necklace Dec08.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 372
  • DOC Diamond Necklace Madrid Mar2011.jpg
    DOC Diamond Necklace Madrid Mar2011.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
To continue...
the necklace has a distinguishing feature: the large central diamond at the very front has a small hook in it.

I can think of three possibilities to explain the hook's presence:
- a leftover from the dismantled tiara
- and/or designed to allow a pendant to be hung from it,
- and/or it increases versatility by allowing the stone to be incorporated in another setting (eg earrings).

Whatever the reason, the presence of the hook demonstrates that the necklace of the 1990s is the same as that worn in Madrid a week or two ago.

cropped thumbnail 1: 1990s
cropped thumbnail 2: 2011

Attachments

• Necklace 1990s.jpg
    Necklace 1990s.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 781
  • Necklace Mar 2011.jpg
    Necklace Mar 2011.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:
Joye, Warren: Well done, I, humbly, stand corrected.

1) Very impressive picture from the 1990s, I had never seen that before.

2) Prior to your post, I was (clearly mistakenly) reasonably sure that the necklace in thumbnails 2 and 3 was different from the one used in Spain.

To continue...
the necklace has a distinguishing feature: the large central diamond at the very front has a small hook in it. .
I do think the hook is really to allow a pendant to be hung from it - so can't wait to see Camilla wear it with a massive emerald or sapphire pendant sometime soon.

Not sure the hook is leftover from a tiara - the setting of the necklace is relatively modern, suggesting that even if the stones started life as a tiara, the were probably completely reset.

Lovely necklace!! Boy see how you can get stuck in a hairdo......:D:D

I think the jewels look lovely on her, much better than some of the other stuff she wears. But I feel that once you reach a certain age, you're too old to be showing that much skin. It's embarassing!

I think the jewels look lovely on her, much better than some of the other stuff she wears. But I feel that once you reach a certain age, you're too old to be showing that much skin. It's embarrassing!
You really have to be kidding. If she was showing cleavage and falling out all over I might agree with you but as things stand she wears very fashionable and appropriate evening-wear. She is always decently covered and, more often than not, elegant and attractive.

Camilla embarassing? I don't think so.

Camilla wearing the necklace many years before the marriage.
I believe that this photo is from the series that were taken and issued April, 2006 for their first wedding anniversary, not from the 1990s. The series were airbrushed quite generously, but still lovely photos.

Thank you, I did not know how to capture the quote without the photo.

Last edited:
I agree Michelle, this is the first I have ever heard of that photo being from the 1990's. I always thought it was an anniversary shot. As far as I can recall, the first appearance of this necklace was during her visit in San Francisco.

Did someone say the stones came from a rather non discript tiara. With more than 120ct of good sized stones. it would hardly have been non descript! I love it

The turqouise demi-parure has emerged after some time, when the Duchess attended The Classic BRIT Awards at the
Royal Albert Hall in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gettyimages ** belga **

Is this a new necklace?

Is this a new necklace?

No, she has had it since, AFAIK, before her wedding to Charles. I think it was last used in the pictures released for their first wedding anniversary. Camilla also wore it at the Diplomatic Corps reception (in 2006?) with a black and white gown and the Cubbitt/Shand tiara.

Last edited:
I think the jewels look lovely on her, much better than some of the other stuff she wears. But I feel that once you reach a certain age, you're too old to be showing that much skin. It's embarassing!

Her neck looks aged, but would you have her wear turtlenecks? The rest of the skin she's showing looks lovely and very appropriate.

Last edited:
I saw a program about Princess Diana's jewels and was stunned to hear that Camilla was wearing a piece of jewelry that Charles had given to Diana. And don't tell me that this woman did not know that that piece of jewelry was given to Diana by her husband as a very personal gift. She also made changes to this piece of jewelry adding her own touches (adding a drop emerald). This was not Royal jewelry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom