Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles is known to have acquired a number of Camilla's pieces at various auctions. Others are purchased privately through jewelers.

Charles is known to have acquired a number of Camilla's pieces at various auctions. Others are purchased privately through jewelers.

I am sure that is right. There are a number of jewellers in London (in Burlington Arcade and Bond St) that sell a lot of old jewellery. I am sure Camilla has picked up a few pieces from time to time to supplement her collection. She is one of the few people priviledged enough to be able to afford to buy them and more importantly, gets the opportunities to use them regularly.

For those interested in Camilla's brooches, here's an excellent close-up of one of her favourites. It appears to be very finely detailed.
pic courtesy of iceflower
Budapest, March 2010

Since I detest just about every insect in the world, I have to say: YUCK!!

Since I detest just about every insect in the world, I have to say: YUCK!!

I have admit I too am not a fan of the brooch. Would have been far nicer to see her get a sparkly brooch out.

The Duchess of Cornwall's brooch is a modern and interesting design of textures and subject matter. It looks big on her shoulder. I wonder if it is comfortable to wear?:);):)

I think the insect brooch was a gift from Camilla's father, but I may be wrong.
GillW or Boris may know for sure.

Yes, the insect brooch was a gift from her much loved father.

Thank you joye! I apologize for leaving your valuable expertise out.:ohmy:

No problem. I happened to be on this page, so thought I could reply.

On the Czeck part of the current tour, there are photos of her wearing the "Prince of Wales feather" brooch and the amethyst necklace[ this has Keppell connections].

Looking over Camilla in her jewellery I find she looks best in delicate pieces and not in the Imperial heavy set styles. Her beauty is delicate and cannot uphold the heaviness of the bigger pieces that makes her look like the pieces are overshadowing her her delicate beautiful features. Just an observation.I find she is highly selective in what she wears but I suppose Charles has a say.

Camilla, delicate? I am afraid I fail to see where she is delicate... On the contrary, I find that she looks best in the heavier, period pieces. Off hand, I would say that Charles has quite a bit to say....

Camilla is the royal women that can successfully wear heavy and substantial jewelry.

I do think that Camilla has the personality and the presence to pull off big pieces, like the Boucheron or the Delhi Durbar. Having said that, what does not look great are some of the larger pieces like the Saudi ruby breastplate - which I think are not the easiest pieces to wear in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchess certainly looks very good with Boucheron and the Delhi Durbar tiaras. She's one of the few women still alive that can wear the DD in such a nice way.
Even the impressive five row Greville necklace looked OK on her. The ruby brastplate is something different, howeever. It's indeed a necklace hard to wear and I doubt that even Queen Mary could wear something that big. Maybe Queen Alexandra could pull it off...

I was thinking about something recently - why doesn't Camilla wear her smaller pearl necklaces now? She has a nice single row, a three row with purple clasp and of course Queen Elizabeth's dainty three-row, whch I really miss. Currently she sems to be quite fond of three main chokers - with the diamond, the pink tpoaz and the aquamarine clasps. I think that sometimes the smaller necklaces would be more appropriate for day time occasions like visiting primary schools, going to the church, etc, where and imposing diamond clasp would be a bit OTT. She can save the others for events like Ascot, Garter's day and opera in the evening where they'd look OK.

What do you think?

Bobby

. It's indeed a necklace hard to wear and I doubt that even Queen Mary could wear something that big. Maybe Queen Alexandra could pull it off...

Bobby

I thought that DoC wore it rather well. Having said that it is time to have that piece redone, into a nice suit of jewels that she could wear more often.

The DoC seems to be quite comfortable wearing it just as it is. I am not fond of it but who am I to say... I cannot see where it would be possible to re-do that insect into a suite as there is nothing much there to do so...

But since it came from her father, and I heard that from more than one source. She would wear is proudly with sentimental value. Just like any mother would also wear something from their child.

I was thinking about something recently - why doesn't Camilla wear her smaller pearl necklaces now?
I think this is just about wearing her newest piece of jewellery (the pearl choker with the diamond clasp) quite a lot at the moment. Camilla had worn the pearl necklace with the purple clasp and the one with the aquamarine clasp for many years before she was married to Charles. I am sure in a few months the novelty of these new pearls will wear off and she will start to use the others more. I think the one with the pink topaz clasp is only worn at very formal events (weddings, state occassions, Ascot etc) and not really for a normal engagement.

I thought that DoC wore it rather well. Having said that it is time to have that piece redone, into a nice suit of jewels that she could wear more often.
I meant that even Queen Mary couldn't wear it better than Camilla.
Yes, I agree that The Duchess wore it well and I hope we'll see at least onece more before she has the breastplate redone;)

I know Camilla's wearing her newest jewels and she'll soon be rid of the diamond clasp choker, but I'm talking about whether this is an appropriate jewel when she's visiting small children and then for a formal dinner. Look at her mother-in-law, The Queen, a three row necklace for daytime and sometimes evening engagements has became a kind of uniform for her. There are plenty of state occasion, receptions and Ascot days where The Duchess of Carwall can wear her nice new chokers.

I donÄt mind the the Duchess wearing it to daytime Events. But i think she should eather wear it for daytime or for evening Events and not for both as on the recent trip. And i wonder how many pearl-chokers more she will get. She has atlast 5 if i'm count them right.

Camilla, delicate? I am afraid I fail to see where she is delicate... On the contrary, I find that she looks best in the heavier, period pieces. Off hand, I would say that Charles has quite a bit to say....
DOC is delicate in that she does not have the Plantagenet[Bigger nose and heavier jaw-like Princess Anne-] features of other royals.The heavier period pieces make her look older and matronly and her physiognomy certainly has that sparkling youthful smile and and glow from within which are overshadowed by these pieces.Camilla's face is delicately beautiful. Perhaps instead of the really heavypieces which are so for their own sake perhaps DOC could be more "eclectic" in what she wears insead of what is given to her or handed to her pr expected of her to wear.I would still like to see that one of a kind smile and sparkling eyes that DOC has underneath the jewels.Because her sparkling eyes and natural smile are the real jewels in any crown DoC will be called upon to wear.

I personally do not think that the chokers that Camilla wears during the day are too much for her "normal" engagements. IMO only 2 of her chokers are a bit much for day use: the pink topaz one and the turquoise one. I don't think I have seen her wear either of them for a "normal" engagement.

I know HM tends to only wear plain strings of pearls, but I think that is just down to personal style.
I wonder how many pearl-chokers more she will get. She has atlast 5 if i'm count them right.
6 pearl chokers / clasps if I am not mistaken:

1) turqouise (from before they were married)
2) purple (from before they were married)
3) dark centre piece, almost black - first seen on their honeymoon
4) QMs 3 string pearls with the diamond clasp
5) pink topaz
6) new diamond clasp choker

Ok thanks. Didn't count the one from the Queen Mother as choker as i think it''s more a necklace because its longer than the others.

Ok thanks. Didn't count the one from the Queen Mother as choker as i think it''s more a necklace because its longer than the others.

Fair point, though similar concept!

I personally do not think that the chokers that Camilla wears during the day are too much for her "normal" engagements.

The Duchess of Cornwall in my opinion looks wonderful in her chokers during daytime engagements. (I especially like the new diamond and pink topaz.) Camilla should use her diamonds and precious gems for evening engagements. We have not seem lately.:);):)

Thanks everyone for the replies. To sum up - the majority doesn't miss her older pearls and don't find her recent choices more or less inappropriate.

Muriel, in your list there's a small mistake - The Duchess doesn't have a choker with turqouise clasp. Camilla has one with an aquamarine center and Diana, Princess of Wales had a choker with turqouise and pearl clasp. Maybe you're mixing the two jewels?

Bobby

You are absolutely right, I meant the acquamarine centre. I was not confusing it with Diana's choker, I merely had the image of the turquoise colour on the acquamarine clasp in my mind!

Hmmmm,..precious jems and diamonds....my favourite topic.....the royals always wear the finest of the diamonds.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom