Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it was finally revealed on 11/9/09 by Boris that the RJOW site confirms that the prince of wales feather brooch/pendant that Camilla sometimes wears is the same piece that Diana wore. She did not inherit it per se, she just wears the dead first wife's jewels now and again.

No, it was finally revealed on 11/9/09 by Boris that the RJOW site confirms that the prince of wales feather brooch/pendant that Camilla sometimes wears is the same piece that Diana wore. She did not inherit it per se, she just wears the dead first wife's jewels now and again.

Scooter, Scooter, Scooter....your devotion to Diana is touching, but the brooch was not "just" Diana's brooch. It originally belonged to Alexandra, The Princess of Wales who later became Queen Alexandra. It is a family piece. If Camilla wants to wear it, she can certainly wear it. Is she not supposed to have any type of contact with family items or pieces that denote her status as HRH Camilla, The Princess of Wales (although she chooses to be known as HRH Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall)? Is no other Princess of Wales going to be allowed to wear any item that was worn by any other member of the BRF? These are family pieces, passed down through generations--they are not specific to one person, they are specific to the history of the British Royal Family. And, on that note, should the BRF not discard the carriages ridden in by Diana so as not allow Camilla in them? Perhaps some furniture should also be reupholstered? Or, better yet, since Diana "might" have been Queen, let's just sell Buckingham Palace to the highest bidder so Camilla can't take that away from her as well. Seriously, it's not as if Camilla is wearing Diana's engagement ring.

I agree that these pieces belong to the royal family, and can be worn by any woman. However Charles did give Camilla an engagement ring worth, literally, more money. But was probably priceless to him in sentimental value as it belonged to his Grandmother.

Have to agree with Scooter. The treasure trove is big enough to cover Camilla head-to-toe without her having to wear anything associated with Diana.

But I don't think it's intended as a slight. If anything, Camilla seems to go out of her way to avoid upsetting the young princes by forcing a comparison with their mother.

That was my point Iowa, that she has a bottomless jewel box. Why not choose something unencumbered.

Camilla certainly does seem to have a bottomless jewel box--I love her new pearl necklace with what appears to be an enamed and diamond clasp. However, it is her right as a member of the BRF to wear anything that she wants. If the Princes' wished her not to do so, I'm sure she would not. She doesn't wear it often, though. I vastly prefer that other delightful Wales brooch, anyway. Truly breathtaking--I've not seen it on the QM so I am curious about it origin. Camilla's engagement ring is truly beautiful- and while it is valuable monetarily, I do think its value sentimentally is priceless. I think it was a gift to QEQM (when Duchess of York) upon the birth of Princess Elizabeth (Future QEII). However, let's not forget that Diana's ring was not mere trinket (cost of over 28,500 pounds) and it followed a long standing British Royal Family tradition of giving sapphires as engagment rings (QEQM, Princess Marina, Princess Anne, Princess Michael, Duchess of Kent). And, it is a stunning piece of jewelry.

I find it very interesting that the same people who were saying 'oh Camilla is way too smart to wear anything associated with DIana because she knows how it would upset people' have now moved on to it is her RIGHT to do so. If this particular jewel was the only one the woman in question had access to and it was not laden with marital history then that would be one thing. However, she has access to a whole NYC 47th street inventory. Show some judgement/class and choose another piece. Any other piece. Order a new shine-y bit. It's not like they cant afford it.

Scooter, this is now the third or fourth time you've waded into this question purely as a thinly-disguised means of continuing your personal crusade against the Duchess of Cornwall. This follows your attempt to raise the issue of the DOC's absence from the Queen Mother's biography a day or two ago even though you yourself had already raised the same issue in the same thread previously. It also coincides with your latest attack on Charles (and/or the DOC) in the British Forum over their travel arrangemets in wintry Scotland a month ago. I guess when you're on a roll....

The subject of the POW brooch/es is not quite so clear-cut as you would like to believe and have others believe. From my reading of this and the Diana jewels thread what we have is this:
A respected member of the RJOTWMB has been advised by a trusted confidant that the brooches are one and the same. On the other hand a member of this Forum has quoted jewels-expert Leslie Field on another website as stating there are two separate POW brooches.

In other words, any reasonable person would accept that uncertainty exists concerning the POW brooch/brooches and none of us are in a position to make definitive statements one way or the other.

Yet again we are covering exactly the same ground that has been covered several times previously and once again the thread has been diverted into yet another "wicked Camilla wearing Diana's jewels" argument. I understand perfectly the intent behind your repetitive raising of the same issues but this will be the last time your personal agenda will needlessly disrupt or divert this and other threads in this manner.

I find it very interesting that the same people who were saying 'oh Camilla is way too smart to wear anything associated with DIana because she knows how it would upset people' have now moved on to it is her RIGHT to do so. If this particular jewel was the only one the woman in question had access to and it was not laden with marital history then that would be one thing. However, she has access to a whole NYC 47th street inventory. Show some judgement/class and choose another piece. Any other piece. Order a new shine-y bit. It's not like they cant afford it.

I will echo Warrens sentiments, but I would also like to clarify what is only a thinly veiled reference to myself. I did feel that Camilla would not likely wear anything associated with Diana because Camilla is intelligent enough to realize that there were bound to be some people who would become upset over it. Regardless of whether there is only the one brooch or if there are two (which is where I fall on this topic), the FACT does remain that it was not Diana's piece of jewelry at any time; she may have been the custodian of it for a period of time but she was not the owner. It is a family piece, which again means, that any member of the family may wear it if they so choose. "Marital" history has nothing to do with it, it is all about "Family" history. Like it or not, Diana was the divorced wife of the Prince of Wales. She wanted a divorce, she courted the media, so the implied portrayal of Diana as a victim to Camilla's scheming (with regard to taking something from her jewel box) is not appropriate. That brooch, regardless of who has worn it previously, is a piece of jewelry that is intended to be worn by HRH The Princess of Wales--which is one of Camilla's titles. Bottom line? The title is Camilla's, thus, the brooch is Camilla's.

Last edited:
My guess, although I'm not a jewelry expert, is that there are at least two brooches with the PoW plums... plumes I mean! LOL.

But to slightly change the discussion, has anyone ever seen Camilla wear any other jewelry which might have been worn by Diana? I would suspect Camilla hasn't. (And in my twisted logic that seems to indicate two brooches.)

I am always suspicious of the proclamations of people who won't let their names be made public...

I have never seen where Camilla has worn any other piece of jewelry associated with Diana--so, that logic, as Iowabelle stated, implies that there are certainly two PoW brooches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this thought/reason. Sometimes I laugh at myself for missing something so obvious. Thanks for bringing to up.

OK, I've deleted a few posts still carrying on about Camilla supposedly "wearing Diana's jewels" together with a couple of abusive posts concerning the Duchess of Cornwall.

Once again, the thread has been used as an arena by the Camilla-haters.
Making posts calling Camilla names is depressingly childish, but par for the course it seems.
Any further posts raising the character of the Duchess of Cornwall, being abusive, or making claims that cannot be substantiated will be removed.

Any member who wishes to argue the point should do so via PM.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Last edited:
In regards to the Princess of Wales brooches worn by both Diana and Camilla. Leslie Field's information is that there are 2 brooches, one was made and gifted to Queen Alexandra when she was Princess of Wales. When Alexandra became Queen and her daughterinlaw Mary became Princess of Wales, Alexandra had an identical copy made of her brooch to give to Mary. Diana was received Alexandra's brooch to wear and Camilla received Mary's brooch to wear.

Technically, the brooch was never Diana's, nor is it Camilla's these jewels belong to the monarch. They wouldn't be private items owned by the current Prince of Wales, because had that been the case Edward VIII could have easily have given them to Wallis or sold them.

The monarch then would be the person who lent these brooches (and other PoW brooches, Alexandra was given several, Camilla has worn some of the other brooches as well) to both Camilla and Diana. I don't think there is a high likelihood that the Queen would have given Camilla a brooch that had been worn by Diana, just like there's no likelihood that Camilla would be given the Cambridge tiara to wear, as that was lent to Diana. This increases the probablity that there are 2 separate brooches.

Camilla doesn't have a large treasure trove of jewellery, she has her own private jewellery and then there's what the Queen loans her. It's the Queen who owns all of the Queen Mother jewellery (to save on having to pay inheritance tax) and she's the one who lends it to Camilla to wear. Charles doesn't own his grandmother's jewellery.

I think the broader point is that Camilla has a fair amount of jewellery to choose from, and I think most people are fairly happy with the choices that she has made over the years. Its rare that people have made negative comments about a particular piece of jewellery she may have worn.

amazing neckalce, suits her a lot
Very much her style.

Last edited by a moderator:
So am I wrong in my thought/memory/idea that the engagement ring Camilla has is a ring that was left to Charles by the Queen Mother? A gift to the Queen Mother when the present Queen was born? Does the press just make this stuff up, or do I have really strange dreams?

As Charlotte1 has posted above, the Queen Mother's estate passed directly to the Queen in a legal and traditional Sovereign-to-Sovereign transfer to avoid death duties.
There may have been instructions as to where certain pieces of jewellery or objéct would end up, but on the face of it anything of the Queen Mother's worn by Camilla or anyone else would have come from the Queen.

Camilla's engagement ring was reliably reported as being a gift from the Duke of York at the time the Duchess became pregnant with the then Princess Elizabeth.

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: if this whopper diamond ring was the present for a confirmed pregnancy, imagine what the present was for a live birth! :D

So am I wrong in my thought/memory/idea that the engagement ring Camilla has is a ring that was left to Charles by the Queen Mother? A gift to the Queen Mother when the present Queen was born? Does the press just make this stuff up, or do I have really strange dreams?

At the time of the engagement of Charles and Camilla the information that was given out by the BP press office about the engagement included information on the ring. It was given to Charles by the Queen to use as the engagement ring. Therefore Charles never inherited it from his grandmother, the Queen inherited it, she was the one who gave it to Charles for Camilla's engagement ring.

I do like Camilla's engagement ring, and I am actually excited that Camilla is wearing some of the Queen Mother's jewels. It's a shame that some of the older pieces (from the 1920s) had been retired and I really like seeing these Art Deco pieces (for the first time in my life!).

I do like Camilla's engagement ring, and I am actually excited that Camilla is wearing some of the Queen Mother's jewels. It's a shame that some of the older pieces (from the 1920s) had been retired and I really like seeing these Art Deco pieces (for the first time in my life!).

It is very exciting to see these Art Deco pieces on the Duchess. They suit her quite well.
Some of the QM's pieces have been retired because of deterioration. I seem to recall that the Strathmore Rose tiara was retired because it is so badly tarnished it is about to fall apart and must be reset.

:previous:
Maybe if all the poster sent $1.00 (or the equivalent) they might be able to reset in a platinum setting. Just a thought. :D

Good information on the engagement ring. Thanks.

It is very exciting to see these Art Deco pieces on the Duchess. They suit her quite well.
Some of the QM's pieces have been retired because of deterioration. I seem to recall that the Strathmore Rose tiara was retired because it is so badly tarnished it is about to fall apart and must be reset.
I had wondered what had happened to the Strathmore Rose tiara as I've always thought it was a pretty piece. Thanks for the info.

Tiaras made with silver frames and settings require regular cleaning and ongoing maintenance. Hence the preference for gold (heavy) or best of all, platinum (more expensive, but lighter, stronger than gold thus requiring less metal, and more durable).

I love that the brooch has some meaning to it. :)

:previous: Although this isn't the most beautiful piece of jewellery I have seen, the whole story is quite interesting. Thanks for sharing Muriel!:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom