Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would also be very much appreciated if people did not attack things they are ignorant of, it is so easy to Google and find out facts these days.
Poppy Day and the good it generates is a tradition very dear to British people and if they get annoyed at people for calling it tacky, even out of ignorance, they cannot be blamed especially when the, what seemed to be an insult, was not written once but twice.

One of the poppies is in the style worn in the UK and the other is the kind worn in Canada. A very nice gesture.

She has worn another brooch at the wreath laying ceremony and wore her pearl choker*(with the blue green stone) to an event last night.

One of the poppies is in the style worn in the UK and the other is the kind worn in Canada. A very nice gesture.

She has worn another brooch at the wreath laying ceremony and wore her pearl choker*(with the blue green stone) to an event last night.

Oh that was such a considerate move on the Duchess's part. Very moving.:flowers:

The Duchess's engagement ring and a rather hilarious expressive photo of Camilla. :) It seems to just beam light rather than sparkle.
The Ring

Pearl and Diamond(?) Earrings - These seem to be her favourite and cant blame her, they're gorg!

Brooch - Worn during the wreath laying, cant quite make out what it is.

Pearl Choker - Are those rubies in the centre?

I didn't realize they were differrent poppies.

What a nice ring! I thought it was a red stone (garnet perhaps) before or am I thinking of the red dress?

I love the dazzling brooch for the wreath laying ceremony......dont you?

Brooch is wearing off. Recently do not see wearing a new brooch.

It would also be very much appreciated if people did not attack things they are ignorant of, it is so easy to Google and find out facts these days.
Poppy Day and the good it generates is a tradition very dear to British people and if they get annoyed at people for calling it tacky, even out of ignorance, they cannot be blamed especially when the, what seemed to be an insult, was not written once but twice.

Who attacked those poppies? I hope you're not referring to me. My thought was that you can't wear a historical brooch with such precious stones so close to paper poppies. Other members also shared the same thought(see above). Anyone has the right to remember whomever they want by wearing whatever they want, I totally agree :flowers:

I have looked hard and can´t find anyone else saying that or agreeing with that opinion , but I am pleased that the Queen and other members of the royal family do wear their poppies with pride held by their beautiful diamond brooches and I should hope they don´t worry about looking tacky.
Surely that is enough of poppies for now, next year you will know why they are worn and perhaps like me you will actually see they look very pretty and appreciate the goodwill that goes with wearing them.

For those of us who are familiar with the British way of paying tribute to the people who lost their lives in the service of their country, it is a familiar sight to see members of the Royal Family wearing the poppy during the week leading up to 11th November. For example, if you look at photos of the Queen/Queen Mother you'll see this. They wear what they might normally choose for an official engagement but add the poppy. A comparable though not an exact comparison might be the way coloured ribbons are often worn by stars at public events to mark their support for a cause - these are often worn alongside evening gowns/elaborate jewellery. No one considers this odd or inappropriate but understands it is intended as a mark of respect/support.

I have looked hard and can´t find anyone else saying that or agreeing with that opinion , but I am pleased that the Queen and other members of the royal family do wear their poppies with pride held by their beautiful diamond brooches and I should hope they don´t worry about looking tacky.
Surely that is enough of poppies for now, next year you will know why they are worn and perhaps like me you will actually see they look very pretty and appreciate the goodwill that goes with wearing them.

Ok, Wisteria. If you say so...It's obvious that you misunderstood everything I said, but it doesn't matter. Life is too short.

I'm sorry, but I find a "tacky" poppy commemorating the millions and millions of men and women who died the most horrible of deaths far more important and beautiful than mere stones.

Camilla wore her Maple Leaf brooch again today. I hope she takes it out for a few more spins actually, the brooch is one of my new favorites. It sparkles wonderfully when seen on video.

Guys, the significance of the poppy has been fully explained for those who weren't aware. Enough has been said; let's get back to discussing the DOC's jewels.

thanks.
Warren

The Duchess's engagement ring and a rather hilarious expressive photo of Camilla. :) It seems to just beam light rather than sparkle.
The Ring

Pearl and Diamond(?) Earrings - These seem to be her favourite and cant blame her, they're gorg!

Brooch - Worn during the wreath laying, cant quite make out what it is.

Pearl Choker - Are those rubies in the centre?
The ring is the large emerald cut diamond, that was a gift to Q. Mother from her husband, and Charles gave it to the Duchess as engagement ring.

:previous: That ring is simply fabulous. It really is one hell of a knockout . . . . not at all flashy and trashy as some of the "Hollywood" wannabes around. Thank you for the opportunity of a surreptitious drool. :in_love:

Almost all pieces are lovely! My top favorite: the Maple Leaf brooch and the pearl drop earrings. The DoC wears some of the most sophisticated jewels!

As the RJOTWMB pictures are not permanent, here's two, courtesy of giov in the British Forums:
State Dinner in Ottawa, Canada, 11 November 2009

--> DOC RFO & choker
--> DOC RFO close-up

The DoC's pearl choker is truly stunning.....It always reminds me of Diana's Sapphire choker she wore quite often.

Thank you Warren for the link....oooh that choker really is a lovely piece!
I wish DOC could get her paws on a few more of Queen Alexandra's collars! She'd be able to justice to the fabled Cartier collier resille....oh I wish, wish, wish the Queen would let DOC have carte blanche and a key to those vaults!!!!!!

Thank you Warren for the link....oooh that choker really is a lovely piece!
I wish DOC could get her paws on a few more of Queen Alexandra's collars! She'd be able to justice to the fabled Cartier collier resille....oh I wish, wish, wish the Queen would let DOC have carte blanche and a key to those vaults!!!!!!
Oh now, you know that the Duchess isn't getting her paws on too many of those jewels any time soon. Too bad yes, I'd love to see some of the jewels in the vault get dusted off and put to good use again. But for the time being the Queen has those keys strapped to her knickers for safe keeping.

I always enjoy an opportunity to see the RFO up close and personal, and these picture did not fail to delight me!
I do adore that choker of HRH's, and the earrings are beautiful as well-but I believe there are matching earrings to the necklace. I would have loved to have seen them, too. Sigh...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am beginning to wonder if I may be suffering from Tiaranemia (A condition of symptomatic withdrawal which manifests in sufferers who become increasingly agitated and maudlin when there is a perceived dearth of pictures of diadems and tiaras being worn on a regular basis:- Extract from the Tiaraholics Anonymous Help pack - author - Professor Lyon Mycouch MD.,)

Is it me, or is it really the case that Camilla does not wear her tiaras very often? I was surprised and rather piqued that she did not wear one in Canada...is there any particular reason why she did not? I often muse that perhaps there may be some deliberate strategy at work here. Perhaps tiaras will only be seen on the really, really grand occasions like the state opening or at state banquets in the future. I do not think I have seen Camilla wear a tiara to a Gala or film premiere whereas the Queen always seems to. Am I imagining this.....? If this is the case, it may explain why Camilla has to make do with just the honeycomb and the Delhi Durbar! Sad, sad, sad IMHO!:sad:

Hi Connie,

The dinner on 11 November was black tie and nowdays tiaras are usually worn at white tie events. I think the only royal I've seen wearing a tiara at such event is Elizabeth II during an overseas state visit. Black ties and tiaras were worn this year at Prince Henrik of Denmark's 75th birthday, anyway.
Honestly I was surprised and also and rather piqued that The Duchess of Cornwall wore the pearl and pink topaz choker at the two official dinners, that she and The PoW attended. IMHO The Queen Mother's collet necklace or the Saudi sapphires would have been a better choice for the second dinner.
One last thing - The Queen doesn't wear full regalia (a stunning parure and orders) to the theatre/ cinema/ opera anymore. Unfortunately these days are gone now! She, however, still wears a precious necklace, earrings, bracelet(s). I think that's more than enough when, as you have probably noticed, more and more people go the theatre/opera wearing jeans, sweaters, etc.

Bobby

Yes Bobby good point about theatre goers and their rather 'casual' panoply! I often used to feel overdressed myself when I ventured into the West-end clad in my glad-rags! But then again one can get one's own little fix if one goes to Covent Garden for a gala evening I suppose. Doesn't the Queen wear a tiara when she goes to the theatre anymore....I never thought standards had slipped to such a degree that high up the social pyramid?!?!?! The paraphernalia of family orders I can understand being left in the vault but sans tiara:eek:....I am most disturbed and am beginning to feel decidedly Tiaranemic.....I think I need to do a spot of my mantra!!!!!

As you say....white tie events seem to be increasingly rare events these days....which I do think is such a shame! Black tie more or less everything...again sad IMHO!

With regards to the choker.... didn't Prince Charles give it to Camilla as a present. Perhaps it is rather sentimentally valuable to her. Maybe it is one of DOC's favourites so it will perhaps get preferential treatment and regular outings! We just have see!

Hi again Connie,

Yes, the central piece of the choker (then a brooch) and a pair of earrings were auctioned by Sothbey's (?) and apparently it was Charles who bought them for his Duchess.
Santimental value is exactly what I thought about, but come on! she's a Windsor and we know that they have plenty of jewels (with or without santimental value) to chose from. If she wanted jewels with santimental value why didn't she wear the serpant diamond necklace. That IMO is a double gesture - wearing an ancestor's jewel in an ancestor's home land.
I agree with you about Covent Garden and that's exactly what I'd do. When me and my classmates go to the (National) theatre hare in Sofia, I'm one of the few not to wear a T-shirt, sweater and trainers. Of coure I don't wear a full suit, because I know my friends would think I'm going gaga.

P.S. What do you mean by glad-rags? I can't really understand you.

Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom