Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the clip - and I agree I dont like blue with that shade of green

I think the Boucheron tiara looks lovely on the DoC. I might have disliked it on a younger princess, but it is ideal for Camilla, imo.

Getty
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2...mondbroach.jpg

This is certainly not a new brooch, because The Duchess of Cornwall wore this brooch already before, e.g. on her white and navy dress and coat seen in the picture below.

Royal Navy

I mentionned an earlier photo here, but I think it is an adapted version of a diamond brooch once belonged to Princess Marie Louise, the granddaughter of Queen Victoria. That one belonged to The Queen Mother and was worn by her on the 1969 photo in red with the whole family around chairs, relaxing and laughing. Could that be?

So fitting that DoC wore the diamond maple leaf brooch on their visit to Canada as it is their national symbol, nice tocuh, IMO.

Warren, can you tell me, does it have any historical signifigance that you know of? Thanks in advance.

BTW, loved Camilla in the Bouchern Tiara at the Indian State Dinner Last week, I really think that is a prefect tiara for her!

I am presuming that the diamond maple leaf brooch has been loaned to Camilla for this tour by the Queen - the brooch was given to the late Queen Mother during the 1939 tour of Canada and she loaned it to her daughter in 1951 for Princess Elizabeth's tour of Canada. The Queen Mother was frequently seen wearing the Candian maple leaf brooch during the war years and right up to her death in 2002. The Queen has worn the brooch a number of times in the last few years when she is attending events linked to Canada. The brooch was put on display at the commonwealth exhibition this year at the Palace - blog

Last edited by a moderator:
Maple Leaf brooch
Here's the close-up from PrincessofEurope's blog entry.

The Maple Leaf brooch is an exceptional piece! And it has the ideal size, imo. Not too big and not too small. Perfect!

The Maple Leaf brooch is an exceptional piece! And it has the ideal size, imo. Not too big and not too small. Perfect!

Having seen the brooch at the summer opening of the Palace in the Commonwealth exhibition i was surprised that it is quite a big brooch but it is so beautiful and the diamonds were impressive

Not new, but a nice piece of diamonds and sapphires.
Saint John's, Newfoundland, Canada, 3 November 2009 --> DOC Brooch

Warren..that brooch is stunning!! I love the drops on it, and it looks fantastic against her outfit.

The diamond/sapphire brooch is lovely, too! Now If only I knew why those tacky red daisies/poppies should be on that jacket...
Princess of Europe, thanks for the info. You're a lucky girl!

The brooch is really nice, does anyone know what the design inside the heart.
Thos "tacky" poppys there wearing are in remembrance of the millions lost during the Great War. They are worn until November 11th, the day the guns fell silent.

Now If only I knew why those tacky red daisies/poppies should be on that jacket...
You must be kidding... Red poppies are worn in observance of Memorial Day, a symbol of war rememberance all over the world…

The brooch is indeed very nice; there seem to be initials set in diamonds in the center, and it would be interesting to be able to decypher them.

I wasn't kidding, I just didn't think about it. Still consider them tasteless, sorry.

I wasn't kidding, I just didn't think about it. Still consider them tasteless, sorry.
Sorry, but that strikes me as a rather ignorant attitude. The sale of red poppies has a long tradition, with the proceeds benefiting victims of war, as well as artificial poppies which are made by disabled veterans. They are a symbol and have nothing to do with fashion taste.
For decades, members of the British royal family have used brooches to hold the poppies in place at appearances from late October until November 11th.

The damages of wars-both physical and psychological-can't be solved or "cured" with fake poppies, no matter how many of us keep wearing them. I'm just not thinking superficially, again sorry.

:previous:
The red poppies aren't about solving or curing anything, they are about remembrance. In Australia we wear sprigs of rosemary on Anzac Day (25 April) as a symbolic gesture in acknowledgement of the sacrifices made by our servicemen and women.

Remembrance Day - the 11th of the 11th - is also known as Poppy Day: see Wiki for further information.

I know this is not on the topic of DoC jewels, but America honors our fallen soldiers on November 11th. Veterans Day. I don't believe anyone wears any type of flower, but our president does lay a wreath at Arlington National cemetery. And a lot of families decorate their family members graves.

Last edited:
I agree Mrs Bugman. The red poppy is not used as such a symbol in the US.

The use of the red poppy as a symbol for war rememberance did actually originate in the USA during World War I...
Link:
Memorial Day History

:previous: What I find tacky and tastless is ridiculing anyone's traditions and attitudes, regardless of how little we understand them...
A sign of good manners (IMHO) would be to accept everyone's right to hold on to whatever their grandparents handed down to them and respect their right to do so.

Apparently, I needed Wiki educating on the Poppy Issue too- For I found it odd looking that the Doc wore TWO plastic poppy heads above such a stunning brooch especially this time of year.

In my area, the poppy remberence pin is worn in May, around Memorial Day, and not near Veteran's Day in November. Additionally, I've seen only one poppy blossom head worn in lieu of two. So I can certaintly understand the above differing comments.

Thank you for the resource links.....peace and tolerance is our code.

I've seen the poppies on so many british royals in the last few years - and beside of their meaning I found them always quite pretty... :flowers:

Indeed, I too have seen the Poppies particulary during Remembrance Day. I didn't realize that they were displayed for a much longer period. I did notice that the the X Factor judges wore them and didn't understand why they wore them but now I do. Thanks for the information.

What a lovely sentiment to raise money for the families.

As previously mentioned, in the States we honor our Vets on Veterans Day 11/11 and our soliders who made the ultimate sacrifice on Memorial Day (last Monday in May).

I think the two poppies with that brooch (how lovely) was a nice touch by the Duchess.

She has also worn some great jewelry in Canada during this trip as well.

The damages of wars-both physical and psychological-can't be solved or "cured" with fake poppies, no matter how many of us keep wearing them. I'm just not thinking superficially, again sorry.

The annual sales of poppies in the UK raises millions of pounds in support of injured servicemen & women and their families, and the families/dependants of those killed on active service.

They also denote the embodiment of the eternal promise to those who give their life in military service - "We Will Remember Them". At the Royal Albert Hall on Remembrance Sunday, (sorry that should be Saturday - the event precees the big service at the Cenotaph on the Sunday nearest to Armistice Day, 11th November) there will be one minute's silence while thousands of poppy petals shower down on the assembled congregation - one petal for each serving serviceman/woman who died in action in WWI, WWII and all military actions since then to date.

(..and they are paper, not plastic)

Thank you all for your precious information (Warren, GillW etc.) :flowers: It was very kind of you to clear this up. It's always nice to inform people about things they don't know without attacking or bashing them.
I truly appreciate this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom