The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Courtier

Not that she needed any help. Camilla had quite a formidable collection on her own without the help of either of her husbands.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Royal Highness

That is certainly true! She has inherited many lovely pieces from her mother, and of course Charles gave her many trinkets as well. Now, with the inclusion of many of the Queen Mother's pieces, she has really expanded the jewel box--but I like how she has certain pieces she enjoys wearing repeatedly.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I know this is the wrong thread but I do not believe that the Delhi Durbar diadem was "extensively" or otherwise remodeled for Camilla's use.

I also believe the that Queen Elizabeth has given Camilla exclusive rights of usage "for the duration" so to speak, thus ensuring that significant and historical pieces stay within the family and do not end up being willed ouside the main line in the BRF and being sold by descendents.
The Delhi Durbar was a originally designed to be worn high on the head as a diadem. It was definitely "opened up" so Camilla could wear it as a tiara more comfortably.

Given that Camilla is the second wife of Prince Charles and they do not have any children, it would make sense that any royal jewels would return to the Crown after her death and/or be left to William and Harry's wives in the future.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Delhi Durbar was a originally designed to be worn high on the head as a diadem. It was definitely "opened up" so Camilla could wear it as a tiara more comfortably.

Given that Camilla is the second wife of Prince Charles and they do not have any children, it would make sense that any royal jewels would return to the Crown after her death and/or be left to William and Harry's wives in the future.
There is no doubt that the Delhi Durbar was remodelled after the Durbar. What I am not sure about is whether the change for it to be used as a tiara and not a diadem was done under the instructions of Queen Mary (quite like she had the Culinan and the Cambridge emeralds removed) or more recently, specifically for Camilla.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Aristocracy

I think that it was just the frame that was changed and 2 new elements to replace the larger stones- didnít the Queen Mother wear it once?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
I think that it was just the frame that was changed and 2 new elements to replace the larger stones- didnít the Queen Mother wear it once?
The QM wore it in 1947. Are you suggesting the changes were made specifically for Camilla or were previously made?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
There is no doubt that the Delhi Durbar was remodelled after the Durbar. What I am not sure about is whether the change for it to be used as a tiara and not a diadem was done under the instructions of Queen Mary (quite like she had the Culinan and the Cambridge emeralds removed) or more recently, specifically for Camilla.
When it was later remodelled then during them time it ws in the posession of the Queen Mother as it was on an exhibition in the Vicotira and albert Museum in i believe 2000 and then it looked the same way how it looks today.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The QM wore it in 1947. Are you suggesting the changes were made specifically for Camilla or were previously made?
No I would say that the changes were made before it was given to the QM, by Queen Mary. I think that because of the designe if the frame is removed that it can be made to close or widen at the need of the wearer.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Courtier

I have to say the Majesty article on Camilla's jewels was very disappointing. They could have learnt more just by reading these forum pages. Or they could or should have done their homework and made an official effort to find out. Lazy journalism in my view for an otherwise reasonably good magazine.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Royal Highness

I agree about the Majesty article--if they are going to write an article they need to get the facts and information straight.

On another note, have we seen this lovely jewel since Peter and Autumn married last May?
Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-13-2009, 04:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
On another note, have we seen this lovely jewel since Peter and Autumn married last May?
Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011
Yes, on the 60th birthday party for the PoW at Buckingham Palace
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Yes, on the 60th birthday party for the PoW at Buckingham Palace
That's right! I can't believe I forgot that; here's a pic and you can see the earrings:
Gala Party To Celebrate Prince Charles 60th Birthday- Arrivals - Pictures - Zimbio

Old 05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Brooch

Commemoration, Celebration and Rededication for the 90th Anniversary of Combat Stress, Westminster Abbey, 12 May 2009.
An interesting brooch worn by Camilla to this service: DOC Brooch
The brooch is another from the Queen Mother's collection.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Commemoration, Celebration and Rededication for the 90th Anniversary of Combat Stress, Westminster Abbey, 12 May 2009.
This brooch has made several appearnces including one at Trooping the Colour - sorry I don't keep track of data for the DoC though (too busy cataloguing the Queen's brooches!)

Coincidentally, there is a photo of the Queen Mother wearing what certainly appears to this very brooch, posted by Joe on the Royal Jewels board:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Queen Mother Early Jewels
Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Nobility

brooch

Quote:
I have a picture of the Queen Mother wearing this same brooch when probably The Duchess of York, from the look of the dress fashion.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Seen previously, but another brooch with a difference.
It appears to be gold, diamonds, sapphires and amethysts (?)
Camilla at the Royal Ballet School, White Lodge, Richmond, 13 May 2009.
pics courtesy of iceflower in the British Forum
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

That necklace is not too shabby either. I don't remember seeing it before, but that is probably just brain fade. :rolleyes2:
Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator

She's wearing quite a bit of gold, see here.
iceflower again.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Seen previously, but another brooch with a difference.
It appears to be gold, diamonds, sapphires and amethysts (?)
Camilla at the Royal Ballet School, White Lodge, Richmond, 13 May 2009.

pics courtesy of iceflower in the British Forum
That is a lovely brooch--doesn't she have one with pearls, too?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Royal Highness

What a lovely brooch to wear on this occasion. Does anyone know the history of it - I wonder if it's modelled on a famous dancer such as Pavlova?

Tags
camilla jewellery, duchess of cornwall jewellery