The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure she has access to the treasures accumulated over the years by the Royal Family. If for example, she was wearing a gown of carribean blue to some event, I'm sure she can send a request thru her staff to see if there were any aquamarines available. Whats the point of having all that stuff if it never gets worn?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakynthi View Post
Ok,I'll take the pearl necklace Now seriously,does Camilla own most of these jewels?
Some of her jewels are heirlooms inherited from her mother, others are gifts from Prince Charles or the Saudi King. The royal pieces are technically "on loan" from The Queen since she inherited all of The Queen Mother's jewels.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I'm sure she has access to the treasures accumulated over the years by the Royal Family. If for example, she was wearing a gown of carribean blue to some event, I'm sure she can send a request thru her staff to see if there were any aquamarines available. Whats the point of having all that stuff if it never gets worn?
The Queen is pretty stingy with the royal collection of jewels. She rarely lends pieces out to members of the royal family.

Camilla has the use of The Queen Mother's collection from what we've seen.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

That's a nice collection to be able to use, in my own opinion. The emerald drop earrings alone are amazing, in my personal opinion.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you all for the information!!I was a little bit surprised that Camilla recieves jewels as gifts from the Saudi King.Why is that?Does the BRF have such strong relationship with this King?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

They've all received serious jewels from the Saudi Royals--Diana received that fabulous sapphire suite (the one she buried), HM has received beautiful jewels from them--rubies and diamonds, etc.... I think even Sarah got some rubies.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakynthi View Post
Ok,I'll take the pearl necklace Now seriously,does Camilla own most of these jewels?
There are some jewels that Camilla has received as gifts from other royal families (inclkuding the Saudi's) since marrying Prince Charles. Some of these have been classified as gifts to the royal collection,to avoid having topay taxes ojn them. If I am not mistaken, some of the saudi preents (ruby breastplate, emeralds etc) have been classified so, and are therefore, not "owned" by Camilla.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

NONE of the jewels which were given to Camilla during official tours are owned by her. They belong to the Royal Collection.
The guidelines declaring official gifts as Royal Collection property were first put down in 1995. Their newest update and currently valid version is from 2003.
See link:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Pressreleases/2003/Guidelinesandproceduresrelatingtogifts.aspx
Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

I believe that Camilla's jewels that have been given to her are in fact part of the Royal Collection, which they should be. Does that mean that Sophie's rubies are part of the royal collection as well? I confess, I get a muddled about what is and is not in the collection at times.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

The whole issue IS muddled where any piece of jewelry dating back to before 1995 is concerned, because in contrast to for example the Dutch regulations, the guidelines about the official gifts to the Windsors do not state that they're meant to be retro-active.
Regarding Sophie's rubies (I don't remember them): If they were given as an official gift, of course they belong to the Royal Collection as well, and not to the Countess.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

So, back to Camilla and her jewels--I do wonder if she will be going to Sweden for CP Victoria's wedding and what jewels we might see her in--but more importantly, between now and then, are there any tiara events? I have grown weary of seeing the Honeycomb tiara.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

As for tiara events attended by Camilla: March 30th, state banquet for the President of Mexico, who is on a state visit to Britain.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would love to see Camilla in a tiara and whole suite of sapphires!!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Any jewels presented to The Queen or other members of the royal family while on official business or during a state visit have always been accepted on behalf of the Crown to be worn in right of it. That practice dates back to Queen Victoria and is not new.

Jewels given as a private gift (i.e. a wedding present) are not taxed and belong to the individual as their private property. They can choose, as Camilla did, to accept the gift on behalf of the Crown for the royal collection, but it's not required.

Whether they pay taxes on the gift or not is done on a case-by-case basis by the Keeper of the Privy Purse in consultation with The Private Secretary to The Sovereign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
NONE of the jewels which were given to Camilla during official tours are owned by her. They belong to the Royal Collection.
The only piece of jewelry Camilla indicated was accepted on behalf of the Crown was the spectacular ruby and diamond necklace she received from Prince Al Waleed bin Talal during their official visit to Saudi Arabia.

She has received other jewels from the Saudi royal family, including sapphires and diamonds, which may have been wedding gifts. These are her private property unless she states otherwise, just as they were for Princess Diana.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

New string of pearls?

Prince Charles And Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall Brazil Tour - Day 2 - Pictures - Zimbio

Not sure if anybody has noticed, but Camilla appears to have a new string of quite sizeable pearls, seen on the picture taken on their tour of South America
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen inherited all of her mother's personal property, including her jewels.
The Delhi Durbar diadem was given to The Queen Mother by Queen Mary as a gift. She apparently only wore it once, on a state visit to South Africa, and then it disappeared. It was extensively remodeled for Camilla to fit as a tiara and was a wedding gift from The Queen.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Delhi Durbar diadem . . . . . It was extensively remodeled for Camilla to fit as a tiara and was a wedding gift from The Queen.
I know this is the wrong thread but I do not believe that the Delhi Durbar diadem was "extensively" or otherwise remodeled for Camilla's use.

I also believe the that Queen Elizabeth has given Camilla exclusive rights of usage "for the duration" so to speak, thus ensuring that significant and historical pieces stay within the family and do not end up being willed ouside the main line in the BRF and being sold by descendents.

Please feel free to move this post to where it should be.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Commoner

So any tiaras on the state visit from mexico?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
So any tiaras on the state visit from mexico?
The Duchess did not attend, she was ill at that time....
Old 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Royal Highness

Gosh it seems that all The POW has been doing in the past few years is filling up his wife's jewellery box

Tags
camilla jewellery, duchess of cornwall jewellery