Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not one for brooches - too many on a person just looks gaudy; but the 2nd pic of Camilla's brooch is of a stick bug. A stick bug in diamonds? That's ugly - sorry, but it is.

That's not really the best angle or background for the bug brooch. It's actually a lovely piece--I believe it is art deco in its design and at one point insect and bug brooches were really popular. There is a photo of Camilla wearing it on black velvet background and it really pops and looks lovely. I can't find --it was on Magnolia's website which is not tragically not up any longer. Perhaps someone else has it?

Next months Majesty magazine (Feb issue) is featuring an insight into the jewels of Camilla which should be interesting

I'm not one for brooches - too many on a person just looks gaudy; but the 2nd pic of Camilla's brooch is of a stick bug. A stick bug in diamonds? That's ugly - sorry, but it is.

Camilla is very fond of the stick insect brooch as her father bought it for her.

GillW--is there, perchance, a Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall brooch database being created??

GillW--is there, perchance, a Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall brooch database being created??

Not as such (not by me anyway! ...not to date...) But that doesn't mean I don't take any notice...I try to keep a picture record of each one I spot her wearing, and remember snippets if I read anything interesting. I also note any Camilla wears which formerly belonged to the queen Mum....:flowers:

In the next edition of Majesty, the jewellery box of The Duchess of Cornwall will be opened to us. I can't wait!

See below the pearl choker that Camilla is wearing. Does anybody know much about its provenance? Camilla is usually only seen wear it in Scotland, and I think the first time I saw her wear it was on their honeymoon.

---------------------
The Duchess of Cornwall during a visit to a group of historic
buildings near Balmoral Castle the Royal Family's Scottish
estate in Aberdeenshire, January 15, 2009:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

I have note of an event in 2006 in London, so it is not exclusive to Scotland

details_pop

Last edited by a moderator:
I once read that this pearl choker with a central amethyst or sapphire, don't know, I think she possesses more than one of this kind, was once proporty of The Duchess' mother. I think this one is from her mother; and the one she wore on the Phillips weddings in May is one she received from The Prince of Wales.
But I advice to buy Majesty this month, where the jewellery box of Camilla will be opened to us.

Camilla is very fond of the stick insect brooch as her father bought it for her.
I was under the impression it was a piece of the queen mum's. Where did you get your info?

As for the Majesty article, it's not like Camilla is going to provide an interview. There is nothing she has worn in public that hasn't been mentioned on the forum.

I was under the impression it was a piece of the queen mum's. Where did you get your info?

As for the Majesty article, it's not like Camilla is going to provide an interview. There is nothing she has worn in public that hasn't been mentioned on the forum.

It is absolutely not something of the Q Mum's as Camilla wore it for several years before the QM died. I can't remember where I read it now, but I remember (fairly recently) hearing about someone commenting on the brooch at some event and Camilla personally remarked that it was very special to her as it was from her father (this was after he had died, so that narrows the time down somewhat) If I come across the source I'll come back with the information.

PS: Just found that the Majesty article has the same story about the stick insect brooch being from her father.

QE - I think the choker with the central amethyst that you are referring to is the one on the link below, and different to the one I was referring to. It is rumoured to have belonged to the mother of the duchess, and Camilla used it for many many years before she was married to Charles.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/UT0111168.jpg?size=67&uid={44ea73c9-346f-4b01-a6a8-e4ab66501ceb}

I have note of an event in 2006 in London, so it is not exclusive to Scotland
She also wore it to an event at the Albert Hall recently, but so you are right it is not exclusively worn in Scotland, but just shows up often when she is in Scotland - may well be because she likes to pair it with some of her tartan outfits.

Quite right. I have no doubt that the forums is likely to be more factually correct than the Majesty article.... but we nevertheless look forward to seeing it.

Yes, but I don't state that the amethyst coker was bought by Charles as a wedding present.
The one she wore in Japan with the Emperor and Empress is one from her mother;
and the one she wore at the Phillips wedding is a present from Charles from BEFORE her wedding.

The choker that Camilla wore to the Phillips wedding (and then again to Charles' 60th birthday celebrations) had not been seen worn by Camilla in public before the Phillips wedding. This is not the amethyst choker referred to in post 103, which is an old favourite of Camilla's.

Having just read the Majesty magazine on Camilla's jewels i found it not that really worth while - yes there are nice pictures but the info isnt stating anything new and even says that they are unsure of where a number of items came from

2 points
- the stick insect brooch is from her father and hence her favourite piece
- the claim that the emerald and diamond prince of wales feather brooch was used by Diana as a pendant - clearly they need to read this forum as it has already been stated that they are two completely different pieces

Last edited:
- the claim that the emerald and diamond prince of wales feather brooch was used by Diana as a pendant - clearly they need to read this forum as it has already been stated that they are two completely different pieces
I am sorry but I have to disagree here, because the 'final conclusion' on the matter on this Forum is most likely not accurate.
Although Warren referred to the conclusion here as the definite answer (I believe it was given by Skydragon), it is not. In this 'final conclusion', both the observation about the numbers of diamonds being different and Diana’s piece not including emeralds are inaccurate. The pieces are not ‘completely different’ but identical and thus most probably the same, unless an exact copy was made.
In the past few days, there has been a long discussion on the Royal Jewels of the world MB, thoroughly investigating all available sources and pictures. It’s a complicated matter, but in the end the bottom line was that Princess Diana and the Duchess of Cornwall did wear the same piece indeed.
For reference, here is the link to the very long thread discussing the piece in detail, starting with this post:
http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/msg/1232492278.html
And an additional, most recent thread:
http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/msg/1234130000.html
I don’t really want to re-start a discussion here, as the subject matter is all too often not handled in a neutral manner but tends to fall into the trap of biased Diana fans vs. biased Camilla fans.
But for the sake of accuracy, and in order not to perpetuate a myth in this Forum, I believe it’s important to point out that the conclusion here was apparently wrong.

At the risk of incurring Warren's wrath, I have to agree with Boris. It certainly looks like the same piece. From the number and size of the diamonds to the gold at the bottom flanking the POW feathers. As far as the emerald, most jewels of this caliber are made to have different options to the wearer, such as a detatchable emerald drop.

POW Feathers brooch/pendant

No wrath. The discussion at RJOTWMB has been exhaustive, and exhausting. What we can say is that both jewels appear to be very similar and may well be the same. Confusion reigned because of apparent mis-labelling by various authoritative sources ("Ladies of Bristol", "Ladies of North Wales"), the knowledge that there is more than one POW feather jewel (brooch and/or pendant), and the difficulty in finding sharp comparison photographs to determine which is which and aligning them with the original descriptions and engravings from 1863.

It is frustrating that even in the modern age with thousands of photographs taken of royal figures, we are unable to get clear and close-up shots of some of the jewellery as they are worn at public engagements.

Whatever the case, below is a great pic of the jewel known to have been worn by Camilla as a brooch [part of the clasp can be seen] and possibly by Diana as a pendant on a necklace. The detail and craftsmanship are readily apparent. The picture was originally posted by Nellie at RJOTWMB, to whom credit for a lot of this research must go. Nellie's last word on 8 Feb 09 was "To date I feel we still do not have enough clear pics to resolve all aspects. Often I think Diana wore one with the emeralds dotted around the edge and another without!" The jewel pictured here has the fine emerald edging.

¤ ¤ ¤

Last edited:
In the photos I have Diana's seem to all of diamonds with only the emerald drop. And the interest goes on....!

:previous: I don't recall seeing them before but . . . I want them, they are just beautiful. And the wonderful pearl necklace is to die for. :wub:

Thank you Camilla for showing that women of a certain age give serious jewelry the "Va, va,va, voom!" that a prepubescent stick-thing can't! :D

Last edited:
Thank you Camilla for showing that women of a certain age give serious jewelry the "Va, va,va, voom!" that a prepubescent stick-thing can't! :D

ha ha ha :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Quite right, and with the very same dress she wore to the unvieling of the memorial to the QM!! Any clues as to their provenance?

I loved the pearl earrings,but I've got only one objection:I could support them better...;) :)

:previous: Sorry iakynthi, that line forms behind me and Muriel. ;)

Ok,I'll take the pearl necklace :cool: Now seriously,does Camilla own most of these jewels?

Yes, I think she does. She has either inherited them or received them as gifts. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom