The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 PM

Today the Duchess wore a striking lily-of-the-valley pin. Has she worn it before, and was it possibly one of the Queen Mother's?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone have a picture of the pin?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:12 AM
Serene Highness

Majesty magazine said the Lily of the Valley brooch was a gift to the Queen Mother from Russian Premier Nikita Krushev during the 1950's. Which means during the cold war with the west. As far as we know the Queen Mum never wore it, possibly because she didn't like the giver - him being a communist. Which makes one wonder how many other jewels did she receive and never wore because she did not like the giver of the gift. Luckily for us it is being worn now and is a very nice piece. Sorry I do not know how to post a pic.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
This is not the King Faisal necklace, I do not believe this necklace has been seen previously in public. This necklace should not be confused with the diamond necklace that had its debut appearance in the US in autumn 2005, and has been used extensively since by Camilla.

Getty Images - Navegador no compatible detectado

http://noticias.terra.es/2011/mundo/...s-16$599x0.jpg
Is this the diamond necklace Sophie wore at the Swedish royal wedding?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Is this the diamond necklace Sophie wore at the Swedish royal wedding?
No, I do not think this neckalce has been worn before in public.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacat View Post
Today the Duchess wore a striking lily-of-the-valley pin. Has she worn it before, and was it possibly one of the Queen Mother's?
The Duchess has worn the brooch on a number of occassions previously.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Def not a fan of this no tiara trend coming from Camilla but wow!, finally a clear photo of that necklace.
The "no tiara trend from Camilla" has pretty much been the way it has been since Camilla married Charles. My sense is that she usually only wears tiaras at state events - these are typically State dinners in the UK. When abroad, they tend not to be state dinners, as Charles is not head of state. I know Diana and Sarah used tiaras when they travelled aborad in the 1980s, but I think this may just be a recognition of changed times.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The "no tiara trend from Camilla" has pretty much been the way it has been since Camilla married Charles. My sense is that she usually only wears tiaras at state events - these are typically State dinners in the UK. When abroad, they tend not to be state dinners, as Charles is not head of state. I know Diana and Sarah used tiaras when they travelled aborad in the 1980s, but I think this may just be a recognition of changed times.
It's the same with hats she very often wears no hat for engagements in the Uk and also at offiviual Visits abroad like last wek.
As for the no tiara i think she very well could wear her Family tiara as it's not as big as the honeycomb.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It's the same with hats she very often wears no hat for engagements in the Uk and also at offiviual Visits abroad like last wek.
As for the no tiara i think she very well could wear her Family tiara as it's not as big as the honeycomb.
In fairness, I can't really disagree with the line she has taken with hats and tiaras. The fact is that women in the UK hardly wear hats any more (and certainly, do not really wear tiaras at all, other than as brides); hats are typically only worn for weddings, and in some cases, funerals and chritenings. If Camilla were to appear in a hat all the time, she really would look at odds with the people.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
In fairness, I can't really disagree with the line she has taken with hats and tiaras. The fact is that women in the UK hardly wear hats any more (and certainly, do not really wear tiaras at all, other than as brides); hats are typically only worn for weddings, and in some cases, funerals and chritenings. If Camilla were to appear in a hat all the time, she really would look at odds with the people.
But it would help to hold her hair more in place. If it's windy Camilla's hair often doesn't look good anymore.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But it would help to hold her hair more in place. If it's windy Camilla's hair often doesn't look good anymore.
Might the solution be a different hairstyle, or some more hairspray?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel

But QEII always wears hats and she doesn't look at odds w/ the people.... I just think Camilla doesn't have the best hat wearing face/ability... I know I don't , most hats look funny on me
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Nobility

One would think, Muriel! The hat thing can appear quite dated, unless, of course,one is THE icon of the 20-21st century, The Queen!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
But QEII always wears hats and she doesn't look at odds w/ the people.... I just think Camilla doesn't have the best hat wearing face/ability... I know I don't , most hats look funny on me
IMO, the Queen is.... the Queen! She does not need to follow fashion, and she really does not need to appear to be one of the people. She is also nearly 85 years old, and can't really be expected to change the way she has always dressed "for work".

I do think Camilla looks lovely most times when she wears a hat, unless it is one of those berets she seems to like every now and then. If anything, I think Camilla really has the presence and character to pull off a large hat.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Nobility

I find it hard to see Camilla without hats. I hope when she will be Queen that she tries to wear hats at much as possible.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No, I do not think this neckalce has been worn before in public.
I don't know if anybody has answered already, but I found a good reference on the RJWMB:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: The Duchess of Cornwall in Madrid tonight

Quote from Boffer at RJOTWMB:
The necklace was a gift to the then Mrs. Parker-Bowels from the Prince of Wales prior to their marriage.
In the late 1990s the Prince acquired a rather nondescript tiara, and the stones were reset into this necklace and matching earrings.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting find, countess f! Thank you for sharing..
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Nobility

The Duchess has also worn a new gold round plaques braceletnot seen before.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by joye View Post
The Duchess has also worn a new gold round plaques braceletnot seen before.

The gold bracelet.
This is the first time I have been able to post a picture.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Majesty

These series of photos provide some of the best shots of Camilla's engagement ring. Perhaps it is the light but it is lighter and brighter than I have ever seen in previous official photos. I actually thought it rather dark and ugly. Needless to say I have changed my mind!

Tags
camilla jewellery, duchess of cornwall jewellery