Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a clear pic of her family's tiara? It is hard in Laura's wedding pics. Thanks.

Mr. Zonk -

Look on youtube.com - Princess Diana - Her life in Jewels (PART 2) - the first 10 minutes - She is on stage with her husband wearing a Diamond pendant - Prince of Wales with 3 feathers - she later added a drop emerald on the end of the pendant to match emerald earrings he had given her. The diamond pendant was given to her from him as a wedding gift - it was not Royal jewelry. Later somehow Camilla had this and changed it to a brooch. I thought it was tacky and distasteful. My sister saw the same show (it aired the week of the Royal wedding in April). She totally agreed with me.

To Nico (nobility?)

You are wrong - Princess Diana made a change to this Diamond pendant (it was given to her as a wedding gift). She added a drop emerald to it. (to match emerald earrings he had given her). the one Camilla was wearing is the EXACT diamond pendant he had given Princess Diana. Camilla had changed it to a brooch. My sister saw the same program. It was distasteful and tacky. But then.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly Nancybee....you might want to check out Diana's jewels thread. I am not sure this is the same pendant, but even if it is....the picture of Alexandra wearing it, shows that this particular piece of jewelry has a history with the British Royal Family, and as such it wasnt' Diana's personal jewelry.

How can you say that Diana added a drop emerald to it when there is a picture of Alexandra wearing the pendant. She died forty years before Diana was born.

WATCH THE SHOW! It's called Princess Diana - Her life in Jewels. I didn't dream this up. I'm sorry if I pointed out a few distasteful facts about someone. But facts are facts.

First of all, speaking in all caps on the internet is considered to be Yelling. You need to tone it down.

Second, I can see this is a losing battle. Facts are facts: Princess Alexandra of Denmark, later Princess of Wales and Queen Consort to King Edward VII of the United Kingdom, wore this same piece. Thus, one would assume that the piece belonged to the British Royal Family and was passed on via:

Alexandra > Mary > Elizabeth > Elizabeth > Diana.

Now some jewels didnt go directly from Mary to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother but rather straight to Queen Elizabeth II. Elizabeth the Current Queen, lent some of her jewels to Diana for her use as Princess of Wales. At the divorce of Charles and Diana, some of the jewels were returned, but the remainder were returned after her death. As such, the pendant was not the personal property of Diana. It wasn't hers to give to her sons, it was returned to its rightful owner, the Queen.

And that's all I am going to say. .....because I don't think you are open to this train of thought. Because its on Youtube or it was a telelvision program. I can't tell you how many items that have been immortalized on film that are incorrect. You only have to look at some of the experts talking about Wiliam and Catherine's wedding.

Done now.

I might have misunderstood - It clearly said that Prince Charles gave Diana the diamond pendant as a wedding gift and she added a drop emerald to it later (I wouldn't think that Diana could have been changes to Royal jewelry). Later, his second wife was wearing it as a brooch (with the drop emerald on it that Diana had added. But I'm letting it go. Case closed.

Unfortunately, the people that could answer all of this are not talking. And will go to their graves with their lips sealed. There is a book called 'The Royal Jewels". That might clear it up. I am not going to buy another book on Diana or the Royals. We will probably be packing up here in the next 2 or 3 years and moving on (where I don't know) and we will be having a large yard sale. I plan on putting most of these Diana, Charles books in the yard sale. (I will be lucky if I get a a pound a piece (chuckle). Anyway, I thought of going on a big trip to England but so far haven't made it. I probably have all kinds of relatives in England, Wales and Germany but alas. I will never know them.

Totally OT but i've seen this show and no you didn't dream it.
This kind of tv programm love to be controversial about the Diana/Camilla thing and what is more controversial that jewels supposely worn by the loved one and then by the far less loved second wife? The reality of course is often different.
The fact is there are TWO Prince of Wales feather's brooch around :

Jewellery of Today's British Royalty - The Tudors Wiki

"In regards to the Princess of Wales brooches worn by both Diana and Camilla. Leslie Field's information (nb a royal jewel expert) is that there are 2 brooches, one was made and gifted to Queen Alexandra when she was Princess of Wales. When Alexandra became Queen and her daughter-in-law Mary of Teck became Princess of Wales, Alexandra had an identical copy made of her brooch to give to Mary. Diana received Alexandra's brooch to wear and Camilla received Mary's brooch to wear."

To add some confusion, other sources say that Diana received the Mary's brooch and Camilla the Alexandra's one (see my previous link).

As you can see this TV show didn't bother to do some research about the (rich) history of these pendants...
A good lesson to learn: don't believe everything you see on TV, especially about Royals in general and Diana/Camilla in particular.

Last edited:
Well I'll be dawged! So you are saying that this particular television show was in error about the diamond pendant. Unbelievable. This show seemed like it really knew what it was talking about. I will visit that website you mentioned above. Thanks!

Nico is correct - The television show I watched was in error. It clearly stated that Diana added the emerald drop to this piece of jewelry which is true. It also said that Prince Charles gave it to Diana which is not true. Then it showed Camilla wearing it as a brooch implying that Charles gave Camilla a piece of jewelry that he had given to Diana as a wedding gift. So apparently, this IS a piece of Royal jewelry.

The Queen Mother actually gave this Royal piece of jewelry to Princess Diana after Diana married Charles. It is a diamond Prince of Wales feather pendant with a detachable emerald drop (Diana did add this to the pendant). It was originally given to Princess Alexandra of Denmark when she married King Edward VII. Look on
diana's jewels.net.

The Shand Tiara

Lady Marmalade said:
Does anyone have a clear pic of her family's tiara?
Image cropped from much larger picture and not subject to copyright

The Shand Tiara

351355ad.jpg

Last edited:
Diamonds!

From the Obama State Dinner, May 2011
These images have been cropped from a screenshot and are not subject to copyright.
Original image courtesy of Tamara at RJOTWMB

DOC Diamond Bracelet

DOCBroochObamaStateDinner201105.jpg

DOC Greville Tiara, Diamond Earrings & Necklace, RFO

DOCGrevilleTiaraObamaStateDinner201105a.jpg

From the Obama State Dinner, May 2011
These images have been cropped from a screenshot and are not subject to copyright.
Original image courtesy of Tamara at RJOTWMB

DOC Diamond Bracelet

DOCBroochObamaStateDinner201105.jpg

Is there any information as to the provenance of the braclet Camilla wore for the state dinner? She has certainly worn it earlier, most notably, in her 60th birthday photographs. To me, tt looks quite similar to the design of the Greville necklaces and the tiara, could it be part of the set?

I might have misunderstood - It clearly said that Prince Charles gave Diana the diamond pendant as a wedding gift and she added a drop emerald to it later (I wouldn't think that Diana could have been changes to Royal jewelry). Later, his second wife was wearing it as a brooch (with the drop emerald on it that Diana had added. But I'm letting it go. Case closed.
I have seen this in several books, too.

Well they were often quoted heren big coffee table books called Royal Jewels, Qeen's Jewels etc....but maybe if I save them for the fall I can use them to start a fire since you are quite sure....

Well they were often quoted heren big coffee table books called Royal Jewels, Qeen's Jewels etc....but maybe if I save them for the fall I can use them to start a fire since you are quite sure....

You have, I assume, read this thread which makes it clear that there are in fact two items - one that Diana had and one that Camilla has - not the same ones but two similar ones used in the past by Princesses of Wales and different ones used for each of Charles' Princesses of Wales.

Well i tend to believe Leslie Field (author of one of the coffee table books btw) but i can understand that the truth i far less juicy for you...:flowers:

Hope you'll have a nice fall next to your fireplace ...

Is there any information as to the provenance of the braclet Camilla wore for the state dinner? She has certainly worn it earlier, most notably, in her 60th birthday photographs. To me, tt looks quite similar to the design of the Greville necklaces and the tiara, could it be part of the set?

Given the quality of the art deco design and significant diamonds, it definitely looks like part of the Greville bequest. But Charles has also acquired many jewels for Camilla over the years, so it could very well be a gift from him.

What is known about the necklace? It looks like it may have pink diamonds in it...

Looking at the Bucheron the royal order and the bracelet it seems that their quality is far superior to that of the earrings and the necklace.
The colour just seems so much more brilliant and multi-faceted, almost as if they have an age and style in common. Has anyone any ideas?

Fair point, but I am not sure thats a conclusion I would get to based just on this picture. A lot of it could just be down to lighting

Members are reminded that the subject of this thread is JEWELLERY.
Posts with no relevance to JEWELLERY have been and will continue to be removed.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

I can't recognise a thing - I'm blinded by the brightes jewel of UK - witch of course is the POW in his costumes and medals and all the other stuff..

(I hope I don't get deleted, at least I called him a jewel ;) )

Looking at the Bucheron the royal order and the bracelet it seems that their quality is far superior to that of the earrings and the necklace.

The colour just seems so much more brilliant and multi-faceted, almost as if they have an age and style in common. Has anyone any ideas?

All the diamonds Camilla is wearing are white. There can often be a difference in disbursement due to the cutting and placement. The stones closer to the light are going to sparkle more.

Also, it also matters what metal the stones are set in. Brightest in silver, then white gold, then platinum or palladium, then yellow gold. Sometimes it is difficult to tell what the framing material is, especially if the prong tips are white --- which they normally are.

Last edited:
Newscom - Multimedia for Websites and Publishers of cornwall&search2String=a&dispOutput=grid&eaCurrentPageNum=1&bylinesearch=&locationsearch=&sourcesearch=&actionsearch=&postersearch=&attrsearch=&capwrisearch=&categorysearch=&scatssearch=&scodesearch=&specialsearch=&subjectsearch=&feature=sipaphotosthree&vg=false&searchPhoto=Y&searchVideo=Y&searchText=N&searchGraphics=Y&sort=d&searchHZ=Y&searchVT=Y&daterng=&searchtype=newsearch

Camilla used her pink topaz choker again at the wedding of Mike & Zara. This choker had made its debut at the wedding of Peter & Autumn a few years ago.

do the brooches and earings royals of the britsh wear belong to the state or them, like if charles buys camilla a tiara is it theirs or whos?

:previous: Anything Charles has gifted Camilla is hers to dispose of as she wishes, e.g. the amethyst pearl choker, but the two tiara's and the Greville necklaces are loaned to her by the Queen, and remain the personal property of HM herself.

Jewels belonging to the crown are usually specifically designated for the use of the Queen or Consort and are, therefore, never worn by any other member of the BRF.

The Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery thread part 7
commencing September 2011
can be found here

• • •

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom