The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
This is one of my favorite pieces from any royal. I'm not to big on her other pearl chokers. But the pearls, the pink stone, and the little stones and detailing surrounding it are just perfect to me. What kind of stone is it anyway? and are those diamonds surrounding it? Is it hers or from the Royal Collection?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

As the RJOTWMB pictures are not permanent, here's two, courtesy of giov in the British Forums:
State Dinner in Ottawa, Canada, 11 November 2009

--> DOC RFO & choker
--> DOC RFO close-up

Old 11-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

The DoC's pearl choker is truly stunning.....It always reminds me of Diana's Sapphire choker she wore quite often.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you Warren for the link....oooh that choker really is a lovely piece!
I wish DOC could get her paws on a few more of Queen Alexandra's collars! She'd be able to justice to the fabled Cartier collier resille....oh I wish, wish, wish the Queen would let DOC have carte blanche and a key to those vaults!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Cutmantle View Post
Thank you Warren for the link....oooh that choker really is a lovely piece!
I wish DOC could get her paws on a few more of Queen Alexandra's collars! She'd be able to justice to the fabled Cartier collier resille....oh I wish, wish, wish the Queen would let DOC have carte blanche and a key to those vaults!!!!!!
Oh now, you know that the Duchess isn't getting her paws on too many of those jewels any time soon. Too bad yes, I'd love to see some of the jewels in the vault get dusted off and put to good use again. But for the time being the Queen has those keys strapped to her knickers for safe keeping.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

I always enjoy an opportunity to see the RFO up close and personal, and these picture did not fail to delight me!
I do adore that choker of HRH's, and the earrings are beautiful as well-but I believe there are matching earrings to the necklace. I would have loved to have seen them, too. Sigh...

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Aristocracy

I am beginning to wonder if I may be suffering from Tiaranemia (A condition of symptomatic withdrawal which manifests in sufferers who become increasingly agitated and maudlin when there is a perceived dearth of pictures of diadems and tiaras being worn on a regular basis:- Extract from the Tiaraholics Anonymous Help pack - author - Professor Lyon Mycouch MD.,)

Is it me, or is it really the case that Camilla does not wear her tiaras very often? I was surprised and rather piqued that she did not wear one in Canada...is there any particular reason why she did not? I often muse that perhaps there may be some deliberate strategy at work here. Perhaps tiaras will only be seen on the really, really grand occasions like the state opening or at state banquets in the future. I do not think I have seen Camilla wear a tiara to a Gala or film premiere whereas the Queen always seems to. Am I imagining this.....? If this is the case, it may explain why Camilla has to make do with just the honeycomb and the Delhi Durbar! Sad, sad, sad IMHO!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Aristocracy

Hi Connie,

The dinner on 11 November was black tie and nowdays tiaras are usually worn at white tie events. I think the only royal I've seen wearing a tiara at such event is Elizabeth II during an overseas state visit. Black ties and tiaras were worn this year at Prince Henrik of Denmark's 75th birthday, anyway.
Honestly I was surprised and also and rather piqued that The Duchess of Cornwall wore the pearl and pink topaz choker at the two official dinners, that she and The PoW attended. IMHO The Queen Mother's collet necklace or the Saudi sapphires would have been a better choice for the second dinner.
One last thing - The Queen doesn't wear full regalia (a stunning parure and orders) to the theatre/ cinema/ opera anymore. Unfortunately these days are gone now! She, however, still wears a precious necklace, earrings, bracelet(s). I think that's more than enough when, as you have probably noticed, more and more people go the theatre/opera wearing jeans, sweaters, etc.

Bobby
Old 11-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

Yes Bobby good point about theatre goers and their rather 'casual' panoply! I often used to feel overdressed myself when I ventured into the West-end clad in my glad-rags! But then again one can get one's own little fix if one goes to Covent Garden for a gala evening I suppose. Doesn't the Queen wear a tiara when she goes to the theatre anymore....I never thought standards had slipped to such a degree that high up the social pyramid?!?!?! The paraphernalia of family orders I can understand being left in the vault but sans tiara....I am most disturbed and am beginning to feel decidedly Tiaranemic.....I think I need to do a spot of my mantra!!!!!

As you say....white tie events seem to be increasingly rare events these days....which I do think is such a shame! Black tie more or less everything...again sad IMHO!

With regards to the choker.... didn't Prince Charles give it to Camilla as a present. Perhaps it is rather sentimentally valuable to her. Maybe it is one of DOC's favourites so it will perhaps get preferential treatment and regular outings! We just have see!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Aristocracy

Hi again Connie,

Yes, the central piece of the choker (then a brooch) and a pair of earrings were auctioned by Sothbey's (?) and apparently it was Charles who bought them for his Duchess.
Santimental value is exactly what I thought about, but come on! she's a Windsor and we know that they have plenty of jewels (with or without santimental value) to chose from. If she wanted jewels with santimental value why didn't she wear the serpant diamond necklace. That IMO is a double gesture - wearing an ancestor's jewel in an ancestor's home land.
I agree with you about Covent Garden and that's exactly what I'd do. When me and my classmates go to the (National) theatre hare in Sofia, I'm one of the few not to wear a T-shirt, sweater and trainers. Of coure I don't wear a full suit, because I know my friends would think I'm going gaga.

P.S. What do you mean by glad-rags? I can't really understand you.

Bobby
Old 11-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Aristocracy

Sorry Bobby....

Glad-rags is a slang phrase for all those extra special lovely clothes that one wears to really special occasions like weddings and parties and the opera!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Serene Highness

The above choker is quite impressive, but doesn't look good on Camilla, imo. She looks better with "lighter" jewels. JMHO
Old 11-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the explanation, Connie!

MelinaB.,
Usually the choker looks good on Camilla, but when worn with lighter and lower cut dresses. Thisi is how the impressive jewel shows in full glitter. On 10 November it was partly hidden by the dress' collar. Also the colour of the dress wasn't a good match with the lovely pink topaz. Of course that's just my humble opinion.

Bobby
Old 11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Cutmantle View Post
Yes Bobby good point about theatre goers and their rather 'casual' panoply! I often used to feel overdressed myself when I ventured into the West-end clad in my glad-rags! But then again one can get one's own little fix if one goes to Covent Garden for a gala evening I suppose. Doesn't the Queen wear a tiara when she goes to the theatre anymore....I never thought standards had slipped to such a degree that high up the social pyramid?!?!?! The paraphernalia of family orders I can understand being left in the vault but sans tiara....I am most disturbed and am beginning to feel decidedly Tiaranemic.....I think I need to do a spot of my mantra!!!!!

As you say....white tie events seem to be increasingly rare events these days....which I do think is such a shame! Black tie more or less everything...again sad IMHO!

With regards to the choker.... didn't Prince Charles give it to Camilla as a present. Perhaps it is rather sentimentally valuable to her. Maybe it is one of DOC's favourites so it will perhaps get preferential treatment and regular outings! We just have see!
This too must be my problem....TiaranemicToo too funny! I also wish for more formal events to use a tiara. I think the DOC will keep us guessing as to how often one will be used. Maybe we will be surprised! If I had me a tiara, I just don't know how I would live my life.You know all that walking in front of the mirror would ruin the rugs!!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here are the matching earrings to the pink and diamond pearl choker. Its not a very good picture but all that I good find. Are the pink stones topaz?

Earrings

Found some more photos!

Pic2
Old 12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hello hello!, besides the greville jewels, Im also trying to find out which jewels Camilla recieved as gifts since her time as a royal began. So far I got...

Saudi Arabia: The Ruby Breastplate The Emerald Demi-Parure The Sapphire Necklace

Did she receive any other gifts from other countries?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Hello hello!, besides the greville jewels, Im also trying to find out which jewels Camilla recieved as gifts since her time as a royal began. So far I got...

Saudi Arabia: The Ruby Breastplate The Emerald Demi-Parure The Sapphire Necklace

Did she receive any other gifts from other countries?
I believe she received a set of aquamarines from Brunei and I think they are the jewels she wore to the Classical Brit Awards in London on May 14, 2009.

CARL DE SOUZA/AFP/Getty Images)

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamari View Post
I believe she received a set of aquamarines from Brunei and I think they are the jewels she wore to the Classical Brit Awards in London on May 14, 2009.

CARL DE SOUZA/AFP/Getty Images)

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Adamari: Would you have any basis for suggesting that the acquamarines were a gift from Brunei, other than the co-incidence of them emerging only after the trip to Brunei?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I like the aquamarine drop, but not the rest of the necklace, it seems to be washed out on Camilla. To me the necklace looks a little small for the DoC, since she wears dramatic larger pieces so well, IMO.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Aristocracy

I like the aquamarines. A girl needs something smaller sometimes. But not too small.
Nothing with the word dainty attached!

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla jewellery, duchess of cornwall jewellery