Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelinaB. View Post
The Maple Leaf brooch is an exceptional piece! And it has the ideal size, imo. Not too big and not too small. Perfect!

Having seen the brooch at the summer opening of the Palace in the Commonwealth exhibition i was surprised that it is quite a big brooch but it is so beautiful and the diamonds were impressive

Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Not new, but a nice piece of diamonds and sapphires.
Saint John's, Newfoundland, Canada, 3 November 2009 --> DOC Brooch

Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Royal Highness

Warren..that brooch is stunning!! I love the drops on it, and it looks fantastic against her outfit.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

The diamond/sapphire brooch is lovely, too! Now If only I knew why those tacky red daisies/poppies should be on that jacket...
Princess of Europe, thanks for the info. You're a lucky girl!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

The brooch is really nice, does anyone know what the design inside the heart.
Thos "tacky" poppys there wearing are in remembrance of the millions lost during the Great War. They are worn until November 11th, the day the guns fell silent.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Now If only I knew why those tacky red daisies/poppies should be on that jacket...
You must be kidding... Red poppies are worn in observance of Memorial Day, a symbol of war rememberance all over the world…

The brooch is indeed very nice; there seem to be initials set in diamonds in the center, and it would be interesting to be able to decypher them.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

I wasn't kidding, I just didn't think about it. Still consider them tasteless, sorry.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I wasn't kidding, I just didn't think about it. Still consider them tasteless, sorry.
Sorry, but that strikes me as a rather ignorant attitude. The sale of red poppies has a long tradition, with the proceeds benefiting victims of war, as well as artificial poppies which are made by disabled veterans. They are a symbol and have nothing to do with fashion taste.
For decades, members of the British royal family have used brooches to hold the poppies in place at appearances from late October until November 11th.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

The damages of wars-both physical and psychological-can't be solved or "cured" with fake poppies, no matter how many of us keep wearing them. I'm just not thinking superficially, again sorry.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Administrator

The red poppies aren't about solving or curing anything, they are about remembrance. In Australia we wear sprigs of rosemary on Anzac Day (25 April) as a symbolic gesture in acknowledgement of the sacrifices made by our servicemen and women.

Remembrance Day - the 11th of the 11th - is also known as Poppy Day: see Wiki for further information.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The diamond/sapphire brooch is lovely, too! !

I love this piece.. Would love to se DoC dripping in saphiers from head to toe
Old 11-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Aristocracy

I know this is not on the topic of DoC jewels, but America honors our fallen soldiers on November 11th. Veterans Day. I don't believe anyone wears any type of flower, but our president does lay a wreath at Arlington National cemetery. And a lot of families decorate their family members graves.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree Mrs Bugman. The red poppy is not used as such a symbol in the US.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

The use of the red poppy as a symbol for war rememberance did actually originate in the USA during World War I...
Link:
Memorial Day History
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

What I find tacky and tastless is ridiculing anyone's traditions and attitudes, regardless of how little we understand them...
A sign of good manners (IMHO) would be to accept everyone's right to hold on to whatever their grandparents handed down to them and respect their right to do so.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Apparently, I needed Wiki educating on the Poppy Issue too- For I found it odd looking that the Doc wore TWO plastic poppy heads above such a stunning brooch especially this time of year.

In my area, the poppy remberence pin is worn in May, around Memorial Day, and not near Veteran's Day in November. Additionally, I've seen only one poppy blossom head worn in lieu of two. So I can certaintly understand the above differing comments.

Thank you for the resource links.....peace and tolerance is our code.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I've seen the poppies on so many british royals in the last few years - and beside of their meaning I found them always quite pretty...
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Indeed, I too have seen the Poppies particulary during Remembrance Day. I didn't realize that they were displayed for a much longer period. I did notice that the the X Factor judges wore them and didn't understand why they wore them but now I do. Thanks for the information.

What a lovely sentiment to raise money for the families.

As previously mentioned, in the States we honor our Vets on Veterans Day 11/11 and our soliders who made the ultimate sacrifice on Memorial Day (last Monday in May).

I think the two poppies with that brooch (how lovely) was a nice touch by the Duchess.

She has also worn some great jewelry in Canada during this trip as well.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The damages of wars-both physical and psychological-can't be solved or "cured" with fake poppies, no matter how many of us keep wearing them. I'm just not thinking superficially, again sorry.
The annual sales of poppies in the UK raises millions of pounds in support of injured servicemen & women and their families, and the families/dependants of those killed on active service.

They also denote the embodiment of the eternal promise to those who give their life in military service - "We Will Remember Them". At the Royal Albert Hall on Remembrance Sunday, (sorry that should be Saturday - the event precees the big service at the Cenotaph on the Sunday nearest to Armistice Day, 11th November) there will be one minute's silence while thousands of poppy petals shower down on the assembled congregation - one petal for each serving serviceman/woman who died in action in WWI, WWII and all military actions since then to date.

(..and they are paper, not plastic)
Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you all for your precious information (Warren, GillW etc.) It was very kind of you to clear this up. It's always nice to inform people about things they don't know without attacking or bashing them.
I truly appreciate this!

Tags
camilla jewellery, duchess of cornwall jewellery