The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Why do the British have to report when they are given jewels and others do not? Just a law in England? We always seem to know where jewels come from on Camilla, Diana, Sophie even the Queen. There always seems to be 'some' kind of information.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
There always seems to be 'some' kind of information.
Not always, many pieces have unknown provenance.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why do the British have to report when they are given jewels and others do not? Just a law in England? We always seem to know where jewels come from on Camilla, Diana, Sophie even the Queen. There always seems to be 'some' kind of information.
Quite often, the "information" for some of the newer pieces is merely speculation on the part of the posters on the TRF. eg, when Camilla wore the choker with the pink topaz / amethyst centre piece at the wedding of Autumn and Peter Phillips, there was quite a lot of speculation as to its origins, but little fact has since emerged.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Nobility

Emeralds debut!

Camilla has finally worn the emeralds (the third of the three suites of jewelry she supposedly received on their official trip to Saudi Arabia?).

Getty
ImageShack© - Gallery

event:
Royal Gala Performance of Peter Pan in London, June 17, 2009.
In aid of The Prince's Foundation for Children and the Arts,
an educational charity that helps children experience the arts
in a high quality and sustained way.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Its wonderful to see the emeralds finally make their public debut. I have mixed feelings about them though - they are wonderful stones, the DoC has worn them well, but they are quite substantial pieces almost bordering on being loud..... but then Camilla has the presense to wear them well.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd pick the Cambridge emeralds ANY day over these.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I'd pick the Cambridge emeralds ANY day over these.
I would agree Madame Royale, but nothing really compares to the Cambridge!!!! These are stunning emeralds and look to be quite big, but I don't think they are right with a white jacket. I do love formal pieces worn with a casualness but these seem too formal, like she should have waited for a gala to pull them out!

I guess I would have had a hard time keeping them in the vaults!!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

One point to note, it has taken over three years for the emeralds to make their debut public appearance.
The DOC was presented with the ruby, sapphire and emerald parures by Prince Al-Waleed in March 2006. Patience has been rewarded!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I just find them to be something one would expect a Malaysian Sultana or Lalla Salma of Morocco to wear, not a European royal Duchess. Too many emeralds, and not enough diamonds I think. The emeralds are quite large and as such, are rather intense.

Indeed, the Cambridge emeralds are nothing short of stunning!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

What do they sapphires jewels look like, I can't remember seeing them?
That is an incredible necklace. It's stunning.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Serene Highness

The problem with these kind of pieces is that it's always a little bit tacky and the craftmanship is not perfect. However the sapphire suite is the best i think, a good ballance btw the rubie one (well far too much) and the emerald one (beautiful but a little too simple in the design).

Rubies

Getty Images - Navigateur non pris en charge

Sapphires

Emeralds

Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The rubies are my favourtie, they are just breath taking. I remember the sapphires now, but I hadn't realised they were a gift.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I just find them to be something one would expect a Malaysian Sultana or Lalla Salma of Morocco to wear, not a European royal Duchess. Too many emeralds, and not enough diamonds I think. The emeralds are quite large and as such, are rather intense.

Indeed, the Cambridge emeralds are nothing short of stunning!
The middle eastern rulers like giving big 'bling' - especially with large gemstones to which they have readier access from southern asia than diamonds. Besides which I think both Camilla and Prince Charles have a liking for jewellery with an Art Deco-like design which the emeralds have.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
With recent gifts presented to him on official engagements the Prince is obliged to list them for audit purposes - they usually appear on his website near the beginning of the following year they were given. For some odd reason gifts presented to the Queen are not similarly listed or publicised.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

The emerald stones are lovely, and sometimes Camilla likes to "mix-it-up", but I, like my Dear Madame Royale, VASTLY prefer the Cambridge emeralds. Of course, I have long going love affair with anything worn by Queen Mary, so I may be a touch biased.
I do prefer the Saudi Sapphires over the emeralds, and the rubies over the emeralds, so I guess my order of preference would be sapphires, rubies, emeralds.

On another note, Camilla has worn that remarkable choker again!
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
I love this piece. She wears large jewels quite well, in my own, humble opinion.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Courtier

The Cambridge emeralds are in the league of their own; any relatively modern piece is bound to loose in comparison.

I love this choker; Camilla can definitely wear large jewels like this.

Not sure I'm fond of these Saudi parures; they are just a little modern-looking for my taste, I like more classical designs.
The sapphires were nice enough, the emeralds are also fine but I thought the rubies were a bit over-the-top, at least the way Camilla wore them. Two or three rows would be enough, especially with that burgundy dress.

It looks like we share fascination with Queen Mary's taste in outfits and (especially!!!) jewels; there was a Royal, who knew how to combine and mix the most unlikely pieces!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Courtier

I like Camilla's recent pink choker but it looks too similar to Diana's sapphire choker. It's practically the same diamond setting and pearls. It looks like she is copying her. Was this given to Camilla by the Queen? Does anyone have any info on it?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
I like Camilla's recent pink choker but it looks too similar to Diana's sapphire choker. It's practically the same diamond setting and pearls. It looks like she is copying her. Was this given to Camilla by the Queen? Does anyone have any info on it?

This piece, the pink topaz/sapphire/amethyst (I"m not sure what the stone is) I believe, was purchased at auction by Charles for Camilla. It made it's debut at the Mark Phillips' wedding to Autumn Kelly (I think that was the first appearance--someone correct me if I am wrong, please).
I do agree that they are similar styles, Camilla's is obviously Edwardian in nature with large pearls and Diana's had multiple layers of what appear to be seed pearls:
http://photos.weddingbycolor.com/p/000/005/885/m/49939/p/thumbnail/145922.jpg
but the style is so common I doubt Camilla is copying Diana, especially as Camilla has shown preference for the style since the 1970's by wearing this family piece:
http://static.open.salon.com/files/a_camilla_parker_bowles_001_0318071218766846.jpg

I personally think the style suits Camilla quite well--she never seems overpowered by large jewels and wears them quite well.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand why Camilla would wear such a fancy emerald necklace and earrings for a daytime event. Rather tacky!

The sapphire suite is very nice, but the rubies and emeralds are pretty obnoxious "nouveau riche" type of pieces. We're talking millions of dollars on her neck.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
I don't understand why Camilla would wear such a fancy emerald necklace and earrings for a daytime event. Rather tacky!

The sapphire suite is very nice, but the rubies and emeralds are pretty obnoxious "nouveau riche" type of pieces. We're talking millions of dollars on her neck.
I don't think it was a day event. It was an evening gala, with Charles and Tom P-B in black tie, and Camilla in a full length dress / skirt. It just does not get fully dark till 10.30pm in London these days.

Tags
camilla jewellery, duchess of cornwall jewellery