The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, we all of us have our differences of opinion.

Though I don't shy away from stating that I know what looks good and what doesn't because as a matter of fact, I do. It's why I'm employed...

I certainly make no discredit of anyone who feels the same.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Courtier

Oh, a fashionista, no less! How very impressive, MR!

Would you agree that, in her day wear, Camilla is looking better and better, but that her evening wear and adornment is just that tad infelicitous and a little 'middle-class girl becomes royal'? I don't wish to be unkind to the Duchess for one moment, but I remain puzzled as to why someone who knows better doesn't drop her the hint that she's becoming too ostentatious. For instance, in my circles where people do discuss the royal family, she became a joke! Indeed, one of my children said to me on Christmas Day when disapproving of my glamour, "'you look too 'Camilla in Uganda'."

Old 01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I couldn't agree more. To me, Camilla's choice of jewellry is a little over the top. It's unfortunate for her that very few of the inherited jewels actually enhance her appearance. I will long remember just how almost vulgar I thought that she looked at the last CHOGM - and in such a desperately poor country, too, which I thought a little insensitive. Nor could I understand how her advisers and stylists allowed her to overdo it so spectacularly. As I hoped, some time ago, her husband may well commission some new pieces for her, either by redesigning what already exists or something completely new.

You have hit on a good reason, in my opinion, for my view that Camilla can't carry heavy tiaras at all well - her posture. I often put my prejudices down to the fact that her face-shape just didn't suit, but thinking about your comments, Madame Royale, and on reflection, I believe that her posture detracts, as well. It's sad, true, but she looks weighted down in, say, the Greville. One hopes that she doesn't suffer from osteoporosis as severely as her mother did.
I too thought the CHOGM debut rather ostentacious and vulgar, Polly. Camilla didn't wear the selected items with resounding success, infact, it made her look frumpy and as you said, weighted down.

It was like a diamond bib, and those earrings are just horrible. I think better use could be made of those diamonds (unless a foreign gift).

Quote:

Oh, a fashionista, no less! How very impressive, MR!

Would you agree that, in her day wear, Camilla is looking better and better, but that her evening wear and adornment is just that tad infelicitous and a little 'middle-class girl becomes royal'? I don't wish to be unkind to the Duchess for one moment, but I remain puzzled as to why someone who knows better doesn't drop her the hint that she's becoming too ostentatious. For instance, in my circles where people do discuss the royal family, she became a joke! Indeed, one of my children said to me on Christmas Day when disapproving of my glamour, "'you look too 'Camilla in Uganda'."

Absolutely, Polly! Camilla's official day wear seems to have improved in leaps and bounds. Though the only two colours I'd advise her not wear would be brown and grey. She looks like a stale gingerbread biscuit and a block of silver soap when she does.

I quite like her in white, cream, ivory, caramel, light blue, soft pink, peppermint and navvy myself. I'd advise that red be kept at a distance, unless a wine red which is suitable for evenings. I'd also suggest Camilla wear hand gloves to compliment the ensemble.

The Ugandan 'reveal' was a decorative display of how much is too much. I'll advised I endeavour to pronounce and I do feel that she is being counselled by someone in her team who doesn't have the experience I would have hoped they should, to adequately style an image for the future Queen/ Princess Consort, and doing so with continuous success and certain restraint. She should get it right every time she walks out the door (in an official capacity) and with the right advice, she would.

I see both Mary of Denmark and Camilla having a similar dilemma though with Mary it's not normally at night, but during the day where she sometimes steps out in something a little, too realxed...too "common". For the most part she dresses wonderfully but it's another example of a stylist who is probably better off working with some A list celebrity.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Yes, we all of us have our difference of opinion.

Though I don't shy away from stating that I know what looks good and
what doesn't because as a matter of fact, I do. It's why I'm emplyed by
an International designer label...:biggrinme.
Thank goodness we all have a choice in what we consider appropriate fashion. That is why there are the multitude of 'designer' labels. Some 'love Versace, Stella, Armani, Chanel others are more the Love & FCUK type.
--------------
To get back on thread rather than discussing posters (generic) own ideas on 'fashion', I understand that HM personally chose the jewels that Camilla would be wearing, as she wanted to show that Camilla is 'high status' by the wearing of such jewellery, (which suited her perfectly, IMO). For many of the nations represented, it would have been seen as an insult not to have presented Camilla in such a fashion.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Thank goodness we all have a choice in what we consider appropriate fashion. That is why there are the multitude of 'designer' labels. Some 'love Versace, Stella, Armani, Chanel others are more the Love & FCUK type.
--------------
To get back on thread rather than discussing posters (generic) own ideas on 'fashion', I understand that HM personally chose the jewels that Camilla would be wearing, as she wanted to show that Camilla is 'high status' by the wearing of such jewellery, (which suited her perfectly, IMO). For many of the nations represented, it would have been seen as an insult not to have presented Camilla in such a fashion.
That was my understanding as well, that HM chose those pieces for HRH to wear for the exact reason Skydragon posted--to show that Camilla has a high status--and again, I was thrilled to see the RFO! --I know that some have said she was over the top, it was too much for such a poor country, etc... but I will have to disagree because when there are offical state visits such as this it is expected that the BRF will bring fabulous pieces with them--and they did not disappoint at all. I will also agree that I thought that she looked marvelous--and I had been clamouring for the Duchess to wear the five-strand, and I was pleased to see it.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
..I understand that HM personally chose the jewels that Camilla would be wearing, as she wanted to show that Camilla is 'high status' by the wearing of such jewellery, (which suited her perfectly, IMO). For many of the nations represented, it would have been seen as an insult not to have presented Camilla in such a fashion.
I think (and a personal view of course) Camilla could look just as regal and just as splendid if her jewellery were kept to a minumum, or at least, not make use of such heavy and dominating pieces which, imo, don't suit the Duchess very well. Personal taste, without a doubt

The Boucheron seems to be her 'signature' tiara and that I can handle, though the Greville necklace, whilst marvellous in it's make, does not flatter Camilla's posture. It just droops, it doesn't sit. Perhaps the three strands would look much better but all five do little for her overall presentation.

I wasn't aware HM chose the items personally. May I ask where you came to learn this?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I wasn't aware HM chose the items personally. May I ask where you came to learn this?
Apart from the ubiquitous ear to the phone, , it was also reported in the majority of the UK media outlets.

As I am not on my own PC at the moment, I can only offer you what has already been posted and these meagre links, but as I am sure you can imagine, any jewellery that Camilla had use of, on the visit, had to have been approved by HM.

Camilla and Charles become king and queen of the Nile
At the Queen’s Banquet in Kampala, Camilla wore an opulent diamond necklace loaned to her by the Queen from the Royal Jewellery Collection
Welcome To The Sunday Vision online: Uganda's leading weekly
Old 01-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen lent Diana her Saudi diamond necklaces on several occasions over the years, so it's not unusual for her to do so when appropriate.

The Queen Mother's collection of jewels were mostly personal bequests to her from Mrs. Greville or created by George VI using gems from the royal collection. The royal pieces were returned to The Queen as they were designated by Victoria as belonging to the Crown and to be worn by all Queens in right of it.

The rest of her mother's jewels can be dispersed to Camilla if she feels it is appropriate and obviously she does.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Apart from the ubiquitous ear to the phone, , it was also reported in the majority of the UK media outlets.

As I am not on my own PC at the moment, I can only offer you what has already been posted and these meagre links, but as I am sure you can imagine, any jewellery that Camilla had use of, on the visit, had to have been approved by HM.
Thank you, Skydragon I do appreciate you're response.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Heir Apparent

It's been so incredibly hot here today, so I took the opportunity to play around with a few pictures, and here we go...

Sorry the picture isn't all that large.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...iantiara-1.jpg

* One of the Russian tiara's (a favourite of mine)
* Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's diamond riviere
* Order of the Thistle
* Family Order of Elizabeth II

Camilla could definitly add a brooch to the bodice which would compliment nicely. The waterfall/ cascade brooch is another favourite so I hope HRH makes use of it from time to time.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 AM
Aristocracy

Well done!
However, I think that tiara is too small for her. And definitely a brooch on the bodice would suit her...and there are plenty of them!!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, the tiara is smaller than the one she normally wears, but that's the point...

And either the tiara is too "small", or her hair is too "big"...

It suits her well I think. A balanced appeal, though if you think otherwise then by all means...

Old 01-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Royal Highness

I have to say, Madame Royale, that you do excellent work! And, I do think that HRH looks wonderful in a smaller tiara, as well. She wears both large and small quite well. I don't suppose you'd like to take a shot with a fringe tiara and also the Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara with the emerald drops? Oh, and perhaps the Oriental Circlet--have a I overloaded you? I'm sorry! Just choose one---

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Insofar as there's any reliance at all on what one reads and hears, Camilla and Charles, supposedly, requested that the Duchess be permitted to wear that cacophany of jewels in Uganda. If indeed true, I think that it would have been most churlish of The Queen to refuse.

In fact, there is now ample evidence that in matters of style, substance and presentation, her family frequently disregards her sound, experienced advice.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Insofar as there's any reliance at all on what one reads and hears, Camilla and Charles, supposedly, requested that the Duchess be permitted to wear that cacophany of jewels in Uganda. If indeed true, I think that it would have been most churlish of The Queen to refuse.

In fact, there is now ample evidence that in matters of style, substance and presentation, her family frequently disregards her sound, experienced advice.
Polly--I have not read anywhere that Charles and Camilla requested those jewels for the Uganda visit--do you have a reference/link? I'd like to read it!

Well, I'm not sure if the Queen would refuse to loan out pieces because she might be accused of being "churlish" (GREAT word, BTW--I love fun words)-because the Queen has never really been one to loan out jewelry or give pieces away--even Sarah rarely got a loaner from her (I remember a bow brooch, but can't place anything else)--I don't think she's selfish, just careful.
Besides, the Queen has the final say and if she thought, being a lady who exhibits "sound, experienced advice" that the pieces were too over the top for the Uganda visit, she would have said so.
Unless.....do you think the Queen was trying to sabotage Camilla? I can't see it, personally.....

Old 01-11-2008, 06:04 AM
Aristocracy

What do you think, the next time Camilla wears the necklace will it be 2, 3, or 5 rows?
I guess that she has read some of the articles where it's said that she's outdazzled the Queen and other things like that.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

May I ask where you came to learn of this (as Madame Royalle so nicely put it)? Do you have any links to where you read that Charles or Camilla made such a request? If HM had refused this alleged request, nobody would have been any the wiser would they?

In many of the countries represented at the summit, the jewellery their spouses or partners wear is of great importance, to wear the bare minimum would be an insult, IMO.

I have seen very little 'evidence' to prove that if HM offers advice to her family, it is ignored, again do you have any links to support your 'suggestion'? If anything, HM's advice should clearly be ignored (SM) based on some of the demands made on her family, which are well documented, (Charles marriage to Camilla, Charles marriage to Diana, etc).
Old 01-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Well done! And definitely a brooch on the bodice would suit her...and there are plenty of them!!
Perhaps the Albert Sapphire brooch in the centre of the neckline?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
May I ask where you came to learn of this (as Madame Royalle so nicely put it)? Do you have any links to where you read that Charles or Camilla made such a request? If HM had refused this alleged request, nobody would have been any the wiser would they?

In many of the countries represented at the summit, the jewellery their spouses or partners wear is of great importance, to wear the bare minimum would be an insult, IMO.

I have seen very little 'evidence' to prove that if HM offers advice to her family, it is ignored, again do you have any links to support your 'suggestion'? If anything, HM's advice should clearly be ignored (SM) based on some of the demands made on her family, which are well documented, (Charles marriage to Camilla, Charles marriage to Diana, etc).

I highly doubt that Queen Elizabeth told the Duchess of Cornwall what jewels to wear. That sounds weird.
I bet a request is asked of the Queen if a royal lady needs something to wear that the Queen just let's them pick from a few pieces presented to them or something like that. So the Quuen chooses what she is willing to lend out yet the borrower still gets a choice.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygoogles View Post
I highly doubt that Queen Elizabeth told the Duchess of Cornwall what jewels to wear. That sounds weird.
I bet a request is asked of the Queen if a royal lady needs something to wear that the Queen just let's them pick from a few pieces presented to them or something like that. So the Quuen chooses what she is willing to lend out yet the borrower still gets a choice.
The conversation probably went -

HM - I will be wearing my usual, I thought you looked nice in mummy's Greville pieces, so that is what I think would be best on this occasion with perhaps the five strand, would that suit?

Camilla - That would be lovely, so kind...(thinking, can't I just wear my pearls!

It doesn't appear to be the case of, they pick what they would like to wear and then ask and it is given, over the years it seems to have been a case of HM knows that one of them is attending or representing her at an event and offers that person the use of specific pieces and of course they cannot really refuse and say 'can't I have xxx piece instead?

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery