The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
but we have to remember that Diana did not like tiaras, so any tiara offered by the Queen may have been too heavy for her (she complained of headaches) and she didn't care for brooches. She always wore the Spencer tiara because it was lightweight. The only other lightweight tiara we know of in the BRF is the Girls of Great Britain, which was a gift to Queen Mary for her wedding, and she gave it to QEII for her wedding--and QEII loves that tiara so she wasn't going to loan it out!
& others like the Strathmore Rose & the Papyrus Motif still belonged to the Queen Mother. Only now do they belong to HM & I hope we see her four lovely grandaughters wearing them in years to come.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Regarding the jewels between Diana and Camilla, I'm with Madame Royale--the jewels which the Duchess of Cornwall wears belonged to the Queen Mother, who was alive during Diana's time so Diana would not have worn her pieces.
Hmm...good point. It makes sense that the Duchess would wear the Queen Mother's jewels. I don't begrudge her at all.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
& others like the Strathmore Rose & the Papyrus Motif still belonged to the Queen Mother. Only now do they belong to HM & I hope we see her four lovely grandaughters wearing them in years to come.
I think the Papyrus motif is in the possession of Princess Margaret's children--but I would LOVE to see it again.
THe strathmore really needs to make an appearance, but I read that the silver settings are so badly tarnished that the entire thing needs to be reset. I hope that is not the case -- it looked fine in Munn's Bible--so hopefully we will see on the York Princesses wearing it at some point in the game. Perhaps even Sophie could wear it? That would be nice, but I think it suits a younger girl better--
And, as I have often stated, I would LOVE to see the Duchess in the Teck Circlet. I wished for her to wear the Boucheron tiara and the five strand so perhaps I will get this wish as well.....

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Nobility

jcbcode99, Keep your fingers crossed. Maybe, just maybe, the Teck Circlet might reappear (on the Duchness, of course) at the next State Visit.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Royal Highness

AuroraB--I am hoping to see it soon! It really is an unusual piece--and I won't change my avatar until I see it on somebody's head!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Though in order to view it properly, I'd suggest a light alteration to the current 'bouffant'...

It's said cockroach's can outlive nuclear proliferation. I say cockroach's and Camilla's hairdo......respectively of course!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Royal Highness

Well....I have to agree that perhaps Camilla's hairdo will need an adjustment if she wears the Teck Crescent......even though I know it will never happen, I think that Queen Silvia could really pull that piece off! Look at her in the amethyst tiara--their style is similar---

Cockroachs and Camilla's hairdo til the end of time? Well, some things are timeless......: )!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is the Strathmore tiara going to be worn by Harry's future wife?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Who knows, sirhon...you're guess is as good as mine...

Quote:
even though I know it will never happen
The royal families of Europe 'should' rotate their jewellery amongst each other, for our benefit..hehe..There are so many tiara's I'd very much like to see upon many a royal womens head, not least of all HRH Crown Princess Mary. How splendid it would be...

Old 01-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Royal Highness

HRH Crown Princess Mary is truly beautiful, and she wears jewels so well--in fact, I think I'll go over to her thread right now....

Old 01-04-2008, 02:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
She looks like a very sophisticated Duchess in the photobucket photo..

Originally Posted by Madame Royale
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...tessede/mm.jpg
I did not know that the tiara could have the top section of diamonds that the QM added removed..
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Nolorlord,

The above picture displays a slection of jewellery which I placed on a picture of the Duchess of Cornwall. It is not authentic (so as to avoid any misunderstanding).

As noted, the late Queen Mother had the 5 triangular festoons added with diamonds from the royal collection. They were not originally part of the design.

I have coloured them out in the above picture.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Aristocracy

[quote=branchg;711015]Diana was very young when she married Prince Charles and was not particularly interested in jewels. quote]

Oh she was interested all right! At the time of the engagement she chose the largest ring on the pad sent over by the royal jewellers.

Their must have bee other reasons why more jewels were not forth coming.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Nolorlord,

The above picture displays a slection of jewellery which I placed on a picture of the Duchess of Cornwall. It is not authentic (so as to avoid any misunderstanding).

As noted, the late Queen Mother had the 5 triangular festoons added with diamonds from the royal collection. They were not originally part of the design.

I have coloured them out in the above picture.

Madame, your photoshopping work it impeccable! You should send these to Camilla directly so she can contemplate wearing various items before she actually puts them on. ;-)
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
My thought exactly, Warren.

Or even perhaps the diamond waterfall/cascade brooch (?)

I think stomachers (depending on the style) or brooches to be a wonderful assest to many a royal woman's bodice. They quite ofte than not appear more delicate and feminine than any other piece of jewellery worn.

I'm truly not all that savvy with computers (I still don't know how to re organise tags even though Warren attempted to aide my struggle), as such, but quite some time ago when I was home ill from work I spent a good few hours (how sad.lol.) putting together this picture. I sent it to BeatrixFan who loved it, so it must have been reasonably agreeable..lol.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...tessede/mm.jpg

To me, this concept represents a 'perfect' looking Duchess of Cornwall.
Madame Royale----this is just magnificant work. I LOVE the tiara like this this-reminds me a of a larger version of the Iveagh tiara of Queen Mary's that the Gloucester's have. Did you also put the waterfall brooch on Camilla as well? It looks lovely, too!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Madame Royale----this is just magnificant work. I LOVE the tiara like this this-reminds me a of a larger version of the Iveagh tiara of Queen Mary's that the Gloucester's have. Did you also put the waterfall brooch on Camilla as well? It looks lovely, too!
A wonderful piece of work!! I adore that waterfall and it looks superb on that gown. Congratulations!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

When Charles becomes king he should redesign some of the diamond rivieres(the BRF has sooooo many) into more ellaborate necklaces for his wife or future daughter-in-law.
Something like this(or better!) http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/diamonds.jpg
Old 01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Gee, you're all very kind with you're compliments...thank you Glade you like it.

I did that a long time ago..probably last winter sometime. Just a bit of 'fun' one had on a day off whilst sitting in their pj's at the comp with a blocked nose if I recall.lol.

I have (am employed too#) a thorough understanding of what looks good, and what doesn't. And with the royal women of today I have a strong ideal of what should be worn, how it should be worn and against what outfit.

Camilla has much potential but is often let down with the formal jewellery she chooses to wear. There is such a thing as too big or too much and the Duchess has displayed this on a few occasions. You also have to consider the posture of the wearer and Camilla's posture isn't the best. She can easily look smothered by the jewels she wears which is why I think smaller tiara's and necklaces suit her better.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Camilla has much potential but is often let down with the formal jewellery she chooses to wear. There is such a thing as too big or too much and the Duchess has displayed this on a few occasions. You also have to consider the posture of the wearer and Camilla's posture isn't the best. She can easily look smothered by the jewels she wears which is why I think smaller tiara's and necklaces suit her better.
I couldn't agree more. To me, Camilla's choice of jewellry is a little over the top. It's unfortunate for her that very few of the inherited jewels actually enhance her appearance. I will long remember just how almost vulgar I thought that she looked at the last CHOGM - and in such a desperately poor country, too, which I thought a little insensitive. Nor could I understand how her advisers and stylists allowed her to overdo it so spectacularly. As I hoped, some time ago, her husband may well commission some new pieces for her, either by redesigning what already exists or something completely new.

You have hit on a good reason, in my opinion, for my view that Camilla can't carry heavy tiaras at all well - her posture. I often put my prejudices down to the fact that her face-shape just didn't suit, but thinking about your comments, Madame Royale, and on reflection, I believe that her posture detracts, as well. It's sad, true, but she looks weighted down in, say, the Greville. One hopes that she doesn't suffer from osteoporosis as severely as her mother did.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I have a thorough understanding of what looks good, and what doesn't. And with the royal women of today I have a strong ideal of what should be worn, how it should be worn and against what outfit.
I should think many men and women believe they also have a 'thorough understanding' of what does and doesn't look good, but, as ever it can only be in their opinion. As we see in many of the threads, many of us have a different idea of what looks good or not.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery