Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 5: November 2007 - February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Well done! :flowers:
However, I think that tiara is too small for her. And definitely a brooch on the bodice would suit her...and there are plenty of them!!

Yes, the tiara is smaller than the one she normally wears, but that's the point...;)

And either the tiara is too "small", or her hair is too "big"...:D

It suits her well I think. A balanced appeal, though if you think otherwise then by all means...:)

I have to say, Madame Royale, that you do excellent work! And, I do think that HRH looks wonderful in a smaller tiara, as well. She wears both large and small quite well. I don't suppose you'd like to take a shot with a fringe tiara and also the Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara with the emerald drops? Oh, and perhaps the Oriental Circlet--have a I overloaded you? I'm sorry! Just choose one---

Insofar as there's any reliance at all on what one reads and hears, Camilla and Charles, supposedly, requested that the Duchess be permitted to wear that cacophany of jewels in Uganda. If indeed true, I think that it would have been most churlish of The Queen to refuse.

In fact, there is now ample evidence that in matters of style, substance and presentation, her family frequently disregards her sound, experienced advice.

Insofar as there's any reliance at all on what one reads and hears, Camilla and Charles, supposedly, requested that the Duchess be permitted to wear that cacophany of jewels in Uganda. If indeed true, I think that it would have been most churlish of The Queen to refuse.

In fact, there is now ample evidence that in matters of style, substance and presentation, her family frequently disregards her sound, experienced advice.

Polly--I have not read anywhere that Charles and Camilla requested those jewels for the Uganda visit--do you have a reference/link? I'd like to read it!:flowers:

Well, I'm not sure if the Queen would refuse to loan out pieces because she might be accused of being "churlish" (GREAT word, BTW--I love fun words)-because the Queen has never really been one to loan out jewelry or give pieces away--even Sarah rarely got a loaner from her (I remember a bow brooch, but can't place anything else)--I don't think she's selfish, just careful.
Besides, the Queen has the final say and if she thought, being a lady who exhibits "sound, experienced advice" that the pieces were too over the top for the Uganda visit, she would have said so.
Unless.....do you think the Queen was trying to sabotage Camilla? :eek: I can't see it, personally.....

What do you think, the next time Camilla wears the necklace will it be 2, 3, or 5 rows?
I guess that she has read some of the articles where it's said that she's outdazzled the Queen and other things like that.

May I ask where you came to learn of this (as Madame Royalle so nicely put it)? Do you have any links to where you read that Charles or Camilla made such a request? If HM had refused this alleged request, nobody would have been any the wiser would they? :ermm:

In many of the countries represented at the summit, the jewellery their spouses or partners wear is of great importance, to wear the bare minimum would be an insult, IMO.

I have seen very little 'evidence' to prove that if HM offers advice to her family, it is ignored, again do you have any links to support your 'suggestion'? If anything, HM's advice should clearly be ignored (SM) based on some of the demands made on her family, which are well documented, (Charles marriage to Camilla, Charles marriage to Diana, etc).:flowers:

Well done! :flowers:And definitely a brooch on the bodice would suit her...and there are plenty of them!!

Perhaps the Albert Sapphire brooch in the centre of the neckline?

May I ask where you came to learn of this (as Madame Royalle so nicely put it)? Do you have any links to where you read that Charles or Camilla made such a request? If HM had refused this alleged request, nobody would have been any the wiser would they? :ermm:

In many of the countries represented at the summit, the jewellery their spouses or partners wear is of great importance, to wear the bare minimum would be an insult, IMO.

I have seen very little 'evidence' to prove that if HM offers advice to her family, it is ignored, again do you have any links to support your 'suggestion'? If anything, HM's advice should clearly be ignored (SM) based on some of the demands made on her family, which are well documented, (Charles marriage to Camilla, Charles marriage to Diana, etc).:flowers:

I highly doubt that Queen Elizabeth told the Duchess of Cornwall what jewels to wear. That sounds weird.
I bet a request is asked of the Queen if a royal lady needs something to wear that the Queen just let's them pick from a few pieces presented to them or something like that. So the Quuen chooses what she is willing to lend out yet the borrower still gets a choice.

I highly doubt that Queen Elizabeth told the Duchess of Cornwall what jewels to wear. That sounds weird.
I bet a request is asked of the Queen if a royal lady needs something to wear that the Queen just let's them pick from a few pieces presented to them or something like that. So the Quuen chooses what she is willing to lend out yet the borrower still gets a choice.
The conversation probably went -

HM - I will be wearing my usual, I thought you looked nice in mummy's Greville pieces, so that is what I think would be best on this occasion with perhaps the five strand, would that suit?

Camilla - That would be lovely, so kind...(thinking, can't I just wear my pearls! :ROFLMAO:

It doesn't appear to be the case of, they pick what they would like to wear and then ask and it is given, over the years it seems to have been a case of HM knows that one of them is attending or representing her at an event and offers that person the use of specific pieces and of course they cannot really refuse and say 'can't I have xxx piece instead? :flowers:

Last edited:
I would not at all be surprised if Camilla would prefer to wear her pearls--I personally prefer my strands to anything else. Pearls just really suit her and often, she needs no further embellishment.
But, that being said--perhaps we will see Queen Alexandra's necklace on Camilla soon??

HM - I will be wearing my usual, I thought you looked nice in mummy's Greville pieces, so that is what I think would be best on this occasion with perhaps the five strand, would that suit?

Camilla - That would be lovely, so kind...(thinking, can't I just wear my pearls! :ROFLMAO:

It doesn't appear to be the case of, they pick what they would like to wear and then ask and it is given, over the years it seems to have been a case of HM knows that one of them is attending or representing her at an event and offers that person the use of specific pieces and of course they cannot really refuse and say 'can't I have xxx piece instead? :flowers:

Actually, I doubt that. Her majesty is far too modest for that type of thing. I think Charles said, it is important to make my wife look important. Insecurity is a ......l HM isn't one to squabble over silly things. Let her wear whatever. I think Camilla looked as fine as she could. So, it was a little over done. Unfortunately, her posture makes any large pieces around her neck look like they are too heavy for her.

The Queen is not careless or unmindful of what jewels she lends out to her female relatives. Her Majesty is well aware of the messages that the pieces like the Delhi Durbar, the Boucheron Honeycomb and the Grenville parure send out and she doesnt' lend them out absentmindedly.

When it comes to jewels that define the royal family, HM is quite likely to put her foot politely but firmly down if she thinks it is in the best interests of the monarchy.

I agree- HM knew exactly the message she was sending when Camilla wore the Delhi Durbar tiara, and continutes to send a message now with the Greville pieces that helped to define the Queen Mum's signature style, and which are now helping to define Camilla's future role in the monarchy--
Does anyone else want to see the ruby necklace and earrings that the Queen Mum used to wear that belonged to Queen Victoria--I'm hoping they are coming next!!!

Does anyone else want to see the ruby necklace and earrings that the Queen Mum used to wear that belonged to Queen Victoria--I'm hoping they are coming next!!!

I think they were designated to be worn by monarchs or consorts of monarchs by QVictoria, so Camilla will have to wait to wear that pieces.

I agree- HM knew exactly the message she was sending when Camilla wore the Delhi Durbar tiara, and continutes to send a message now with the Greville pieces that helped to define the Queen Mum's signature style, and which are now helping to define Camilla's future role in the monarchy--
That would be delicious! :flowers: We are still waiting for an appearance of the Emerald pieces she received on her visit last year! Slight drool here, just at the thought! :D

I love to see Camilla wearing any jewellery at all, (drool.) I too would like to see her wearing Queen Alexandra's necklace, it was a favourite of the Queen mum, and a lovely thing indeed...
Does anyone have any info, pictures of the magnificent "bib" necklace of gold and rubies that Camillla received on the gulf tour? There was only one photo in the papers, and that not too good.

Yes, LOL
The Queen presents some pieces she is willing to lend out and the borrower gets to pick something.
I would love to believe that any royal lady gets a key to the vaults and is allowed to run amok thru the jewels and drape herself with anything she can carry. Sounds like a dream come true...LOL...At least MY dream
Seems like a nice deal to me...LOL

May I ask where you came to learn of this (as Madame Royalle so nicely put it)? Do you have any links to where you read that Charles or Camilla made such a request? If HM had refused this alleged :ermm:

Yet again, so sorry for being so tardy in response.

I read this in an Australian newspaper, though I can't recall exactly where now (holidays and jollifications have intervened).

However, as many other comments are substantiated by media reports, I do not think that mine was inappropriate. In fact, your might recall that you quoted media reports to insinuate a negation of my comments (No. 148). Each, I guess, is equally reliable.:flowers: You might note, though, that I took particular pains to qualify mine.

The Queen is not careless or unmindful of what jewels she lends out to her female relatives. Her Majesty is well aware of the messages that the pieces like the Delhi Durbar, the Boucheron Honeycomb and the Grenville parure send out and she doesnt' lend them out absentmindedly.

When it comes to jewels that define the royal family, HM is quite likely to put her foot politely but firmly down if she thinks it is in the best interests of the monarchy.

I agree. Everything the Queen does has a well thought out reason behind it.
I highly doubt that the Queen "made' the Duchess of Cornwall wear certain borrowed jewels. She was probably allowed to choose from a few so that her own taste and style could be apprciated. The Queen certainly wouldn't order the Duchess to wear a particular tiara..."Camilla, wear this tiara and necklace or you can't go to the ball"...LOL...I doubt it

I read this in an Australian newspaper, though I can't recall exactly where now (holidays and jollifications have intervened).

However, as many other comments are substantiated by media reports, I do not think that mine was inappropriate. In fact, your might recall that you quoted media reports to insinuate a negation of my comments (No. 148). Each, I guess, is equally reliable.:flowers: You might note, though, that I took particular pains to qualify mine.
I have to say Polly, that I was able to post links to the story on here and on the appropriate thread. Reliable or not, without links to back these things up, the forum could become a hotbed of unsubstantiated rumour don't you think? :flowers:

We definitely don't want a hotbed of unsubstantiated rumour but its impossible to link to everything.

Links for a lot of articles don't exist. Its not good for an argument to use repeatedly information that other members cannot confirm but occasionally its unavoidable.

The lady has some MAJOR pieces which I am drooling over left and right. I cannot wait to see some of more of what the Saudi Royals gave her as gifts.

The lady has some MAJOR pieces which I am drooling over left and right. I cannot wait to see some of more of what the Saudi Royals gave her as gifts.
We can all drool together! :flowers: (I had a look for a drooly smiley, but they seemed somewhat gross).
prayer-0069.gif

Camilla has a number of jewels that have been given to her by the Saudis, etc. I, and this is unsubstantiated, believe, that all of the Queen Mother's jewels were earmarked for Charles' spouse. It was just cheaper, no taxes with a transfer between sovereign to sovereign. I, think, Camilla has the run of those jewels, even though they tecnically belong to the queen. Of course, the queen still can say yes or no, but I think she would be disinclined. I, think, Sophie, has less access to jewels, though, I don't think she cares.

I think Camilla's possibly the luckiest having access to the QMs pieces. I'd love to see her in the Burmese Ruby Tiara, the Oriental Circlet, Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara and because she looks so gorgeous in it (thanks to Madame Royal), the Sapphire Tiara.

I don't think you'll be seeing her in the Oriental Circlet because that's one of the pieces that Queen Victoria specifically left to be worn by future queens. At the moment the official line is that she's going to be Princess Consort, so if she turned up wearing that tiara it would create a major controversy.

Well, now more than ever I'm rooting for the Queen Consort title because it would be a shame to not see that piece for a long time! What other pieces are specifically designated for future queens?

Last edited:
Well, now more than ever I'm rooting for the Queen Consort title because it would be a shame to not see that piece for a long time! What other pieces are specifically designated for future queens?

It's never been publicly disclosed, with the exception of Queen Victoria's will, which pieces were designated as belonging to the Crown to be worn by all Queens in right of it.

Victoria designated the George III Fringe Tiara, the Oriental Circlet, her diamond jubilee necklace, the George IV Diadem, her diamond collet parure and earrings, the William IV diamond bar brooch and a few bracelets as Crown pieces.

Queen Alexandra died without a will and her jewels were divided up privately among George V and her daughters. The King took as his share all of the jewels received by Alexandra from civic bodies, peeresses of the Realm, Queen Victoria and her wedding gifts from Edward VII. Many of these jewels are believed have been designated by Queen Mary in her will as belonging to the Crown.

Queen Mary assembled a huge collection of jewels in her long life, both purchased outright and gifts from the very wealthy Indian princely rulers during the Durbar. She also received jewels from Queen Victoria, Queen Alexandra and Edward VII upon marriage. And yet more from George V throughout his reign and civic officials. She also inherited her mother's Cambridge jewels, including the emeralds when her brother died.

Queen Mary later assembled parures of both family jewels and her own jewels for the marriages of Prince George and Prince Henry. The current Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent both wear these jewels today. Princess Michael and Alexandra more or less wear jewels given to Princess Marina after her marriage.

The Queen Mother was never particularly interested in jewels, so she wore the same pieces over and over again from the Crown Collection, like Alexandra's pearl and diamond parure, the William IV Brooch and diamond bar, and the Oriental Circlet. She wore the George III Fringe Tiara in her earlier years as Queen, but later switched to the Boucheron Tiara after it was augmented by Cartier with the arches.

Queen Mary gave Elizabeth the Delhi Durbar diadem as a personal gift, which she wore once to a state visit to South Africa, and then it was never seen again. This was extensively altered to be worn as a tiara and given to Camilla as a wedding gift from The Queen.

The rest of Queen Mary's jewels were left to The Queen as both personal gifts and designated for the Crown. The Queen Mother left all of her personal jewels to The Queen with the rest being returned to the Crown.

The Queen is also likely to designate pieces she has received throughout her reign on behalf of a State, such as the Brazilian Aquamarine Parure and her diamond necklaces from the Saudis, as belonging to the Crown after her death.

I think Camilla wears most of the royal jewels well, and has the personality and charisma to carry them off. She looks great in both the Boucheron and Delhi Durbar tiaras, and the Queen Mothers diamond necklace that she wore to her 60th birthday party. These jewels have the potential to develop into her signature pieces.

That said, I thought some of the very large pieces she has worn probably did come across as a bit over the top, and perhaps inappropriate for the occassions on which they were worn. I am specifically referring to the Saudi ruby necklace and the Greville 5 strand necklace she wore in Uganda. They would perhaps fit in better if they were worn at a state banquet, or if Charles and Camilla accompanied HM and the DoE to the state opening of parliament as Charles and Diana used to.

My other observation has been that the UK press has generally been very supportive of Camilla's use of the QMs jewellery. Again, the two occassions where the press was less than complimentary was when Camilla wore the Saudi ruby necklace and the Greville 5 strand in Uganda.

My own (and completely unsubstantiated) view is that Charles probably takes a very keen interest in the jewels that Camilla wears, and probably pushed for her to be given access to a lot of the major pieces. Similarly when it came to the CHOGM in Uganda, I suspect it was Charles who probably wanted Camilla to wear the Greville 5 strand, with a view to sending out the message to the Commonwealth at large about her senior position in the royal family, and of the Queen's support of Camilla. The trip to the CHOGM was very much part of Charles' campaign to position himself as the successor to the Queen as the head of the Commonwealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom