Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 5: November 2007 - February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: but we have to remember that Diana did not like tiaras, so any tiara offered by the Queen may have been too heavy for her (she complained of headaches) and she didn't care for brooches. She always wore the Spencer tiara because it was lightweight. The only other lightweight tiara we know of in the BRF is the Girls of Great Britain, which was a gift to Queen Mary for her wedding, and she gave it to QEII for her wedding--and QEII loves that tiara so she wasn't going to loan it out!

& others like the Strathmore Rose & the Papyrus Motif still belonged to the Queen Mother. Only now do they belong to HM & I hope we see her four lovely grandaughters wearing them in years to come.

Regarding the jewels between Diana and Camilla, I'm with Madame Royale--the jewels which the Duchess of Cornwall wears belonged to the Queen Mother, who was alive during Diana's time so Diana would not have worn her pieces.
Hmm...good point. :) It makes sense that the Duchess would wear the Queen Mother's jewels. I don't begrudge her at all. :flowers:

& others like the Strathmore Rose & the Papyrus Motif still belonged to the Queen Mother. Only now do they belong to HM & I hope we see her four lovely grandaughters wearing them in years to come.

I think the Papyrus motif is in the possession of Princess Margaret's children--but I would LOVE to see it again.
THe strathmore really needs to make an appearance, but I read that the silver settings are so badly tarnished that the entire thing needs to be reset. I hope that is not the case -- it looked fine in Munn's Bible--so hopefully we will see on the York Princesses wearing it at some point in the game. Perhaps even Sophie could wear it? That would be nice, but I think it suits a younger girl better--
And, as I have often stated, I would LOVE to see the Duchess in the Teck Circlet. I wished for her to wear the Boucheron tiara and the five strand so perhaps I will get this wish as well.....

jcbcode99, Keep your fingers crossed. Maybe, just maybe, the Teck Circlet might reappear (on the Duchness, of course) at the next State Visit. :flowers::flowers:

AuroraB--I am hoping to see it soon! It really is an unusual piece--and I won't change my avatar until I see it on somebody's head!

Though in order to view it properly, I'd suggest a light alteration to the current 'bouffant'...;)

It's said cockroach's can outlive nuclear proliferation. I say cockroach's and Camilla's hairdo...:D...respectively of course!

Well....I have to agree that perhaps Camilla's hairdo will need an adjustment if she wears the Teck Crescent......even though I know it will never happen, I think that Queen Silvia could really pull that piece off! Look at her in the amethyst tiara--their style is similar---

Cockroachs and Camilla's hairdo til the end of time? Well, some things are timeless......: )!

Is the Strathmore tiara going to be worn by Harry's future wife?

Who knows, sirhon...you're guess is as good as mine...:)

even though I know it will never happen

The royal families of Europe 'should' rotate their jewellery amongst each other, for our benefit..hehe..There are so many tiara's I'd very much like to see upon many a royal womens head, not least of all HRH Crown Princess Mary. How splendid it would be...:wub:

Last edited:
HRH Crown Princess Mary is truly beautiful, and she wears jewels so well--in fact, I think I'll go over to her thread right now....

Nolorlord,

The above picture displays a slection of jewellery which I placed on a picture of the Duchess of Cornwall. It is not authentic (so as to avoid any misunderstanding).

As noted, the late Queen Mother had the 5 triangular festoons added with diamonds from the royal collection. They were not originally part of the design.

I have coloured them out in the above picture.

Diana was very young when she married Prince Charles and was not particularly interested in jewels. quote]

Oh she was interested all right! At the time of the engagement she chose the largest ring on the pad sent over by the royal jewellers.

Their must have bee other reasons why more jewels were not forth coming. :neutral:

Nolorlord,

The above picture displays a slection of jewellery which I placed on a picture of the Duchess of Cornwall. It is not authentic (so as to avoid any misunderstanding).

As noted, the late Queen Mother had the 5 triangular festoons added with diamonds from the royal collection. They were not originally part of the design.

I have coloured them out in the above picture.

Madame, your photoshopping work it impeccable! You should send these to Camilla directly so she can contemplate wearing various items before she actually puts them on. ;-)

My thought exactly, Warren.

Or even perhaps the diamond waterfall/cascade brooch (?)

I think stomachers (depending on the style) or brooches to be a wonderful assest to many a royal woman's bodice. They quite ofte than not appear more delicate and feminine than any other piece of jewellery worn.

I'm truly not all that savvy with computers (I still don't know how to re organise tags even though Warren attempted to aide my struggle), as such, but quite some time ago when I was home ill from work I spent a good few hours (how sad.lol.) putting together this picture. I sent it to BeatrixFan who loved it, so it must have been reasonably agreeable..lol.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/mm.jpg

To me, this concept represents a 'perfect' looking Duchess of Cornwall.

Madame Royale----this is just magnificant work. I LOVE the tiara like this this-reminds me a of a larger version of the Iveagh tiara of Queen Mary's that the Gloucester's have. Did you also put the waterfall brooch on Camilla as well? It looks lovely, too!

Madame Royale----this is just magnificant work. I LOVE the tiara like this this-reminds me a of a larger version of the Iveagh tiara of Queen Mary's that the Gloucester's have. Did you also put the waterfall brooch on Camilla as well? It looks lovely, too!

A wonderful piece of work!! I adore that waterfall and it looks superb on that gown. Congratulations!:angel:

Gee, you're all very kind with you're compliments...thank you :flowers: Glade you like it.

I did that a long time ago..probably last winter sometime. Just a bit of 'fun' one had on a day off whilst sitting in their pj's at the comp with a blocked nose if I recall.lol.

I have (am employed too#) a thorough understanding of what looks good, and what doesn't. And with the royal women of today I have a strong ideal of what should be worn, how it should be worn and against what outfit.

Camilla has much potential but is often let down with the formal jewellery she chooses to wear. There is such a thing as too big or too much and the Duchess has displayed this on a few occasions. You also have to consider the posture of the wearer and Camilla's posture isn't the best. She can easily look smothered by the jewels she wears which is why I think smaller tiara's and necklaces suit her better.

Last edited:
Camilla has much potential but is often let down with the formal jewellery she chooses to wear. There is such a thing as too big or too much and the Duchess has displayed this on a few occasions. You also have to consider the posture of the wearer and Camilla's posture isn't the best. She can easily look smothered by the jewels she wears which is why I think smaller tiara's and necklaces suit her better.

I couldn't agree more. To me, Camilla's choice of jewellry is a little over the top. It's unfortunate for her that very few of the inherited jewels actually enhance her appearance. I will long remember just how almost vulgar I thought that she looked at the last CHOGM - and in such a desperately poor country, too, which I thought a little insensitive. Nor could I understand how her advisers and stylists allowed her to overdo it so spectacularly. As I hoped, some time ago, her husband may well commission some new pieces for her, either by redesigning what already exists or something completely new.

You have hit on a good reason, in my opinion, for my view that Camilla can't carry heavy tiaras at all well - her posture. I often put my prejudices down to the fact that her face-shape just didn't suit, but thinking about your comments, Madame Royale, and on reflection, I believe that her posture detracts, as well. It's sad, true, but she looks weighted down in, say, the Greville. One hopes that she doesn't suffer from osteoporosis as severely as her mother did.

I have a thorough understanding of what looks good, and what doesn't. And with the royal women of today I have a strong ideal of what should be worn, how it should be worn and against what outfit.
I should think many men and women believe they also have a 'thorough understanding' of what does and doesn't look good, but, as ever it can only be in their opinion. As we see in many of the threads, many of us have a different idea of what looks good or not. :D :lol:

Yes, we all of us have our differences of opinion.

Though I don't shy away from stating that I know what looks good and what doesn't because as a matter of fact, I do. It's why I'm employed...:D

I certainly make no discredit of anyone who feels the same.

Last edited:
Oh, a fashionista, no less! How very impressive, MR!

Would you agree that, in her day wear, Camilla is looking better and better, but that her evening wear and adornment is just that tad infelicitous and a little 'middle-class girl becomes royal'? I don't wish to be unkind to the Duchess for one moment, but I remain puzzled as to why someone who knows better doesn't drop her the hint that she's becoming too ostentatious. For instance, in my circles where people do discuss the royal family, she became a joke! Indeed, one of my children said to me on Christmas Day when disapproving of my glamour, "'you look too 'Camilla in Uganda'."

I couldn't agree more. To me, Camilla's choice of jewellry is a little over the top. It's unfortunate for her that very few of the inherited jewels actually enhance her appearance. I will long remember just how almost vulgar I thought that she looked at the last CHOGM - and in such a desperately poor country, too, which I thought a little insensitive. Nor could I understand how her advisers and stylists allowed her to overdo it so spectacularly. As I hoped, some time ago, her husband may well commission some new pieces for her, either by redesigning what already exists or something completely new.

You have hit on a good reason, in my opinion, for my view that Camilla can't carry heavy tiaras at all well - her posture. I often put my prejudices down to the fact that her face-shape just didn't suit, but thinking about your comments, Madame Royale, and on reflection, I believe that her posture detracts, as well. It's sad, true, but she looks weighted down in, say, the Greville. One hopes that she doesn't suffer from osteoporosis as severely as her mother did.

I too thought the CHOGM debut rather ostentacious and vulgar, Polly. Camilla didn't wear the selected items with resounding success, infact, it made her look frumpy and as you said, weighted down.

It was like a diamond bib, and those earrings are just horrible. I think better use could be made of those diamonds (unless a foreign gift).

Oh, a fashionista, no less! How very impressive, MR!

Would you agree that, in her day wear, Camilla is looking better and better, but that her evening wear and adornment is just that tad infelicitous and a little 'middle-class girl becomes royal'? I don't wish to be unkind to the Duchess for one moment, but I remain puzzled as to why someone who knows better doesn't drop her the hint that she's becoming too ostentatious. For instance, in my circles where people do discuss the royal family, she became a joke! Indeed, one of my children said to me on Christmas Day when disapproving of my glamour, "'you look too 'Camilla in Uganda'."

Absolutely, Polly! Camilla's official day wear seems to have improved in leaps and bounds. Though the only two colours I'd advise her not wear would be brown and grey. She looks like a stale gingerbread biscuit and a block of silver soap when she does.

I quite like her in white, cream, ivory, caramel, light blue, soft pink, peppermint and navvy myself. I'd advise that red be kept at a distance, unless a wine red which is suitable for evenings. I'd also suggest Camilla wear hand gloves to compliment the ensemble.

The Ugandan 'reveal' was a decorative display of how much is too much. I'll advised I endeavour to pronounce and I do feel that she is being counselled by someone in her team who doesn't have the experience I would have hoped they should, to adequately style an image for the future Queen/ Princess Consort, and doing so with continuous success and certain restraint. She should get it right every time she walks out the door (in an official capacity) and with the right advice, she would.

I see both Mary of Denmark and Camilla having a similar dilemma though with Mary it's not normally at night, but during the day where she sometimes steps out in something a little, too realxed...too "common". For the most part she dresses wonderfully but it's another example of a stylist who is probably better off working with some A list celebrity.

Last edited:
Yes, we all of us have our difference of opinion.

Though I don't shy away from stating that I know what looks good and
what doesn't because as a matter of fact, I do. It's why I'm emplyed by
an International designer label...:biggrinme.
Thank goodness we all have a choice in what we consider appropriate fashion. That is why there are the multitude of 'designer' labels. Some 'love Versace, Stella, Armani, Chanel others are more the Love & FCUK type. :flowers:
--------------
To get back on thread rather than discussing posters (generic) own ideas on 'fashion', I understand that HM personally chose the jewels that Camilla would be wearing, as she wanted to show that Camilla is 'high status' by the wearing of such jewellery, (which suited her perfectly, IMO). For many of the nations represented, it would have been seen as an insult not to have presented Camilla in such a fashion.

Thank goodness we all have a choice in what we consider appropriate fashion. That is why there are the multitude of 'designer' labels. Some 'love Versace, Stella, Armani, Chanel others are more the Love & FCUK type. :flowers:
--------------
To get back on thread rather than discussing posters (generic) own ideas on 'fashion', I understand that HM personally chose the jewels that Camilla would be wearing, as she wanted to show that Camilla is 'high status' by the wearing of such jewellery, (which suited her perfectly, IMO). For many of the nations represented, it would have been seen as an insult not to have presented Camilla in such a fashion.

That was my understanding as well, that HM chose those pieces for HRH to wear for the exact reason Skydragon posted--to show that Camilla has a high status--and again, I was thrilled to see the RFO! --I know that some have said she was over the top, it was too much for such a poor country, etc... but I will have to disagree because when there are offical state visits such as this it is expected that the BRF will bring fabulous pieces with them--and they did not disappoint at all. I will also agree that I thought that she looked marvelous--and I had been clamouring for the Duchess to wear the five-strand, and I was pleased to see it.

..I understand that HM personally chose the jewels that Camilla would be wearing, as she wanted to show that Camilla is 'high status' by the wearing of such jewellery, (which suited her perfectly, IMO). For many of the nations represented, it would have been seen as an insult not to have presented Camilla in such a fashion.

I think (and a personal view of course) Camilla could look just as regal and just as splendid if her jewellery were kept to a minumum, or at least, not make use of such heavy and dominating pieces which, imo, don't suit the Duchess very well. Personal taste, without a doubt :flowers:

The Boucheron seems to be her 'signature' tiara and that I can handle, though the Greville necklace, whilst marvellous in it's make, does not flatter Camilla's posture. It just droops, it doesn't sit. Perhaps the three strands would look much better but all five do little for her overall presentation.

I wasn't aware HM chose the items personally. May I ask where you came to learn this?

Last edited:
I wasn't aware HM chose the items personally. May I ask where you came to learn this?
Apart from the ubiquitous ear to the phone, ;), it was also reported in the majority of the UK media outlets.

As I am not on my own PC at the moment, I can only offer you what has already been posted and these meagre links, but as I am sure you can imagine, any jewellery that Camilla had use of, on the visit, had to have been approved by HM. :flowers:

Camilla and Charles become king and queen of the Nile
At the Queen’s Banquet in Kampala, Camilla wore an opulent diamond necklace loaned to her by the Queen from the Royal Jewellery Collection
Welcome To The Sunday Vision online: Uganda's leading weekly

The Queen lent Diana her Saudi diamond necklaces on several occasions over the years, so it's not unusual for her to do so when appropriate.

The Queen Mother's collection of jewels were mostly personal bequests to her from Mrs. Greville or created by George VI using gems from the royal collection. The royal pieces were returned to The Queen as they were designated by Victoria as belonging to the Crown and to be worn by all Queens in right of it.

The rest of her mother's jewels can be dispersed to Camilla if she feels it is appropriate and obviously she does.

Apart from the ubiquitous ear to the phone, ;), it was also reported in the majority of the UK media outlets.

As I am not on my own PC at the moment, I can only offer you what has already been posted and these meagre links, but as I am sure you can imagine, any jewellery that Camilla had use of, on the visit, had to have been approved by HM. :flowers:

Thank you, Skydragon :flowers: I do appreciate you're response.

It's been so incredibly hot here today, so I took the opportunity to play around with a few pictures, and here we go...

Sorry the picture isn't all that large.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/Russiantiara-1.jpg

* One of the Russian tiara's (a favourite of mine)
* Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's diamond riviere
* Order of the Thistle
* Family Order of Elizabeth II

Camilla could definitly add a brooch to the bodice which would compliment nicely. The waterfall/ cascade brooch is another favourite so I hope HRH makes use of it from time to time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom