The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Royal Highness

I have been thnking... Camilla sometimes when she picks accessories-jewelry and hats-sometimes goes over board. Her hats sometimes are very large. But in most cases I really like her style.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Let's not get into the "I hate Camilla, she's soooo awful..." mud-slinging, please. I've just deleted a couple of posts that were way off topic for this forum, and I hope that'll be an end of it.

Elspeth

Royal Jewels moderator

Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Aristocracy

The Look

What we must remember is that that this was a Royal Function and the royals don’t just pop on a tiara and jewels whenever they feel like it. It is a dictate that HRM’s are to appear in full regalia.
Looking at these two pictures together I find that booth Lady’s look lovely. I feel that it is a matter of what we have became accustomed too.

Rebranded: How dazzling Camilla dumped her dowdy image | the Daily Mail

[FONT=Verdana]Looking at some of the other European Royals and the amount of jewels that they wear. It is a matter of time, time for us to acclimatise to the trapping of the new crown life. Maybe the younger royals will also pick up on the look-it is after all very Chanel at the moment.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Noldorlord,

I'm not sure what event it is you're actually talking about.

If you refer to the Commonwealth Heads Of Government Banquet, no, that is not a royal function but a Commonwealth one. It just happens that it is deemed appropriate for Her Majesty, as a royal and as Queen of 16 out of the 53 Commonwealth countries, to present such an image as we would expect of a monarch.

And HRM's? I'm not sure what you mean..perhaps Her Royal Majesty?

Quote:
...time for us to acclimatise to the trapping of the new crown life
Again, you're not making much sense, I'm sorry.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Aristocracy

Slap! Next time I’ll type slower and think longer about my sentences.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
Looking at some of the other European Royals and the amount of jewels that they wear. It is a matter of time, time for us to acclimatise to the trapping of the new crown life. Maybe the younger royals will also pick up on the look-it is after all very Chanel at the moment.
I am sure that if the other royals would have acsess to more jewells they would BLING us with them, most modern royal ladies are not independently wealthy, the borrow or take from a family fund and I have a bigger jewellery box then them.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
There is nothing inappropriate in giving jewels to the wife of the Heir Apparent. Given the presence of Her Majesty, it would be deemed expedient for Duchess of Cornwall to slightly tone down her outfit by using less jewellery. As said earlier, Duchess of Cornwall will have her day to wear all the historical and modern pieces of jewellery she chooses. I may be wrong due to my ancient Asian perspective "the mother-in-law takes the centre stage" on the issue.

I think the Uganda visit while important to the leaders of Uganda is not one of the annual events that is of historical importance of the Queen acting as monarch of her Kingdom. These events like Opening of the Parliament, Trooping of the Color are traditional events that HM's subjects identify her most with and it would be in very bad taste for anyone to outshine HM in those events.

The Uganda visit is somewhat like the Norway visit where the Queen first gave Camilla the Delhi Durbar tiara. Important surely but one which the Queen could easily let another member of the family outshine her.

But it has happened that a royal that is junior to HM has upstaged the Queen at a major event and I agree with you there at these majestic historical events it shouldn't happen. The incident a previous member wrote about the time Diana wore a new hairstyle at the Opening of Parliament and knocked the Queen's annual speech before Parliament off the front page was definitely not the type of happening that the Queen wanted repeated. The Queen in her simple tastes may not have fathomed how a simple hairstyle could have been more interesting to people than her speech about the plans for the Government in the comming year but once she made that mistake, I imagine she did not let that one repeat again. But the Queen is well aware of how magnificent jewels can draw attention so she must have felt pretty safe to lend Camilla the big jewels at this event.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Aristocracy

I do agree with you ysbel. Also because of the war years the Queen may a simpler tastes in jewels. Her Majesty has also spent enough years on the throne to feel at ease with her position, but I do feel that she is laying heavy ground work, paving the way for an uncertain future.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Aristocracy

HELLO! Photo gallery – Latest celebrity photos - hellomagazine.com, HELLO!
Another photo from Hello this time. I think she looks more polished than I expected, the posture is the only thing that irks me at times. I do like how relaxed and comfortable that Charles and Camilla look on this visit. I would like to see a different hairstyle once in a while with a tiara but I think she is still managing better than most people would in the same situation.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picmajik View Post
HELLO! Photo gallery – Latest celebrity photos - hellomagazine.com, HELLO!
Another photo from Hello this time. I think she looks more polished than I expected, the posture is the only thing that irks me at times. I do like how relaxed and comfortable that Charles and Camilla look on this visit. I would like to see a different hairstyle once in a while with a tiara but I think she is still managing better than most people would in the same situation.
I'm sorry but this pale blue dress has to be the most unflattering one Camilla has ever worn - it does nothing for her figure and makes her shape look terrible compared to some of her other formal gowns which have been much more flattering.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Aristocracy

I have to agree with GillW. This is not one of my favourites on the Duchess
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Royal Highness

I think a full lenght picture would show that the gown is more flattering than we think. I personally think she looked lovely, regal, and quite royal. And, I, too am pleased at how at ease Charles appears these days. I love that photo of them in the boat where she is taking photos; show's that in some ways they're "just an old married couple".
As for jewelry, she stole the show with the Queen's approval. You can't get much better than that.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Aristocracy

I don’t know. The bust section looks too loose, more darts on the side and just under the breast would have given the Duchess more shape and then it could have A- lined mid hip. She is quite chesty but this makes them look –how shall I say this . Not at their best. This said I did print off the photo.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Aristocracy

Not a very flattering dress design, whether viewed full length or half, I'm afraid. The pale blue is too pale for Camilla and washes her out, leaving only the "dazzlers". She always looks great in clear, vibrant colours...even a champagne colour would have set off her and the diamonds better.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Nobility

Wonder how Camilla would look in a tiara if she pulled her hair back, and pinned it up (in a chignon, for example)?

Hmmm...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Aristocracy

or a French twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bluffton View Post
Wonder how Camilla would look in a tiara if she pulled her hair back, and pinned it up (in a chignon, for example)?

Hmmm...
It could be fairly loose to still allow some volume to the top and sides of her 'do but still be flattering. I wonder if a Gibson Girl style would be flattering or a French twist? I remember some postings on one of the other jewelry pages showing some fabulous updos with tiaras. I like your chignon idea also.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picmajik View Post
It could be fairly loose to still allow some volume to the top and sides of her 'do but still be flattering. I wonder if a Gibson Girl style would be flattering or a French twist? I remember some postings on one of the other jewelry pages showing some fabulous updos with tiaras. I like your chignon idea also.
I wonder if her hair is long enough? I think it would either end up looking very flattering or very unflattering. I personally like her big hair with the big tiaras- seems to balance them out.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 PM

I think Camilla's hair is an integral part of her image. I'm not sure I'd like it if she changed it. I can't see her with any other style really.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Royal Highness

I like her hair as is--its her signature, and she can wear those big tiaras!!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Aristocracy

I think she can still brush the sides up and back every now and then. Pined loosely, it would look quite lovely.

A loose victory roll, and her tiara place in the folds. Mmmmm nice

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery