The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Considering the age of the Duchess of Cornwall, the tiaras in question suit her reasonably well. As for other tiaras, she will get all of them, when time comes.

To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 11-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Royal Highness

The Kokoshnik would look lovely on Camilla--I've thought that quite often. Also, the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara (with emeralds if I have to choose one version) and the Girls of Great Britain--but I doubt we'll see her in that. It's so closely associated with the Queen.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-03-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
The Kokoshnik would look lovely on Camilla--I've thought that quite often. Also, the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara (with emeralds if I have to choose one version) and the Girls of Great Britain--but I doubt we'll see her in that. It's so closely associated with the Queen.
She would look good in the Vladimir tiara. I can see Camilla looking very good in this one because it's a big heavy tiara. Camilla needs the very strong jewels. Subtle jewels don't do much for her. She needs the heavy stuff. That's why I like her in Delhi Durbar.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Camilla needs the very strong jewels.
For the most part, I'd agree. It's for the above reason that I didn't like the Delhi Durbar diadem on her. It may have height but it's not a heavy piece in that it's a terribly spacious design.
Don't get me wrong, it is a gorgeous diadem..without a doubt.
Here's the tiara I referred to earlier. It's not large but it maintains a fullness, even though it's (when compared to the Boucheron or the DD) rather small.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ssMargaret.jpg

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Administrator

It seems that on each occasion Camilla wears some serious jewels we get a swag of posts bringing up Diana, the CC&D triangle, Camilla's future title etc etc. Following the latest tiara outing, those posts have been removed.

Members intent on discussing Diana should do so in the Diana, Princess of Wales sub-forum in the British Forums, not here.

This is the Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery thread. Posts of no relevance to the topic will be deleted.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator
Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Aristocracy

I LOVe seeing the tiaras worn by Camilla. I was under the impression that the tiaras and any other royal jewels worn by the DoC have been loaned to her and not given to her as a gift. I guess it's thought that she will have access to them all she wants when Charles becomes king.
Besides the Family order which we have just seen Camilla wear, what else has the Queen gifted to the duchess?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Aristocracy

There is a little bitterness about which tiara suits Camilla best.

This reminds me of what Elizabeth Taylor said to Princess Margaret When P.M, looking down at the overly large Taylor diamond “ diamonds that large look a little vulgar”. Taylor responds would like to try it on? P.M. watches the colour play in the big rock. Taylor Smiles and says it’s not nearly as vulgar on is it!

This said if you have access to the big rocks wear them.They all look great even the ugly ones
Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
The diadem definitly better suited the Queen Mother.

It has been a number of years now since the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were joined in Parliament by members of their family.

So no, I don't believe we shall see Camilla making her parliamentary debut any time soon, in this regard.
That is sad is I was looking forward to it. I hope that she will ride down with the queen in the carriage one day. It will show a greater amount of acceptance, and a nice photo opp for the cameras.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 AM

Well, Camilla's parliamentary debut is inevitable so those dying to see her there won't have to wait for long. Sadly, Liz has to also be dying to see her there. But when the time comes she'll sit where the DoE sits now, tiara on I assume. Then again, if the King wears the Imperial State Crown, does the Queen Consort wear her coronation Crown? What did the QM wear?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well, Camilla's parliamentary debut is inevitable so those dying to see her there won't have to wait for long. Sadly, Liz has to also be dying to see her there. But when the time comes she'll sit where the DoE sits now, tiara on I assume. Then again, if the King wears the Imperial State Crown, does the Queen Consort wear her coronation Crown? What did the QM wear?
The Queen Mother wore an evening gown like the Queen now does and a tiara mostly the Indian ruby tiara. But there where not so many times she attended because of WW II and the short reign of her husband.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I also like the Boucheron tiara as well http://img104.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_958lo.jpg and Camilla looks equally wonderful in it, also. I do think it is a little bulky, and little geometric, but she pulls it off quite well and looks very regal in it. She always looks perfectly appropriate! AND let us not forget whose tiara that was---the Queen Mother's! Another loud and clear message about Camilla's role in the future.
I totally adore this one ! I think it's the one that fits her best. The tiara in itself is not that important. It's the hairstyle that makes it look wonderful because it has to be in unity.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 11-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Slightly off-topic for this thread, but did Diana and Charles not accompany the Queen to the opening of Parliament? Does anybody know when it stopped, and why did Charles not continue to accompany the Queen once he had separated from Diana? Would be interesting to see C&C do the annual outing with the Queen
Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Well, it wasn't so much Charles and Diana as other members of the Royal Family as a whole. They just suddenly stopped going leaving the Queen and DoE to go it alone.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Courtier

Well, dear members, Camilla looks magnificent in ALLL of them!!! And then we have the wonderful picture of Princess Margaret in the Maria Fedorovna sapphire goodie. Now the question is did Queen Mary buy from the Dowager Empress's estate the honeysuckle tiara or did she order it from Garrards. I just wish they would put those emeralds back on the Dehli Durbar. The thing looks kind of empty without them. It would be fabulous to see Camilla in the Lover's Knot tiara with the emeralds or the Oriental Circlet. Cheers.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Aristocracy

Hmmm

I think that the Koloshnik(sp) tiara would look great on HRH the Duchess as well....or the Grand Duchess Vladimir one. I wonder if Camilla will use the George IV State Diadem when she is Princess Consort or Queen Consort whatever the case may be...

Maybe we won't be seeing many more tiaras on camilla though..afterall, Diana only had one from the Queen, right? I don't think the Queen will let her use anymore tiaras, I think the D-D and the Boucheron Honeycomb are as much as we might see...maybe not, hope not...
Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 PM

I would be happy to see Camilla wearing almost any royal jewels, but I am not sure that I would be comfortable to see her wearing the George IV Diadem. This one is very, very special and, well for me it would be hard to see someone else wearing it after HM is no longer with us. It looks so magnificent on The Queen, and for a long time, I know everytime I would see it that I would think of her.... Camilla wearing it? I don't know. I think that would be hard for me to see. I'm sure she would look great wearing it, but.... the association to The Queen is just too strong for me.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 PM

If she is to be Princess Consort then it's pretty much her only option though.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 PM

I think I see what you mean. Because if she won't be crowned Queen Consort, whatelse could she wear besides the diamond diadem for the coronation? Well ok fine! I will learn to accept it, I guess!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:38 AM
Courtier

Nope! Don't agree with anyone's opinion here.

Camilla's face is not enhanced by the historical offerings, in my view. The Queen Mother's face, for instance, was a very different shape from Camilla's.

I believe that a future Queen, particularly one from a background where such elegant and regal adornments were virtually unknown, is deserving of her very own, special tiara.

To my mind, many of the royal accoutrements are out-of-date, old-fashioned and clunky, and desperately need modern refurbishments and new settings. Old, for the sake of being old, doesn't necessarily mean attractive and good. I think that many of the current tiaras are quite unsuitable for the current wearer's faces, not to say they're not downright ugly, in my opinion.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Sorry, Polly, dear heart, but I cannot agree. I do not see any reason for going out and slaughtering historical pieces. Apart from the aquamarine tiara and the sapphire tiara, I do not know of any pieces in the royal collecction that one can call weak. Some of them are supremely magnificent and timeless. To dismantle them because of the whims of current fashion would, in my view, be a grievous mistake.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery