The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
...these earrings and necklace remind me of the set worn by the Queen pictured in the Q E II Brooches thread. Post 2, Top Right.
Marg, using a link makes it easier to find.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Courtier

Are they the same jewels. They may be similar but they are different. The QEII thingies are more restrained and not as massive and the earings do not seem to hang down as long. Maybe Camilla got bored, hauled out her jewelry pliars and a blow torch, went down into the bowels of Buckingham palace to the vaults and proceeded to glue or otherwise affix a few more diamonds that she picked up off of the floor onto the end of the earings and set out to dazzle the natives and the yellow press. Which she has clearly succeded in doing or at least blinding them in the process. Don't get me wrong I love the sheer excess of it. Queen Mary is alive, well and gone mod. cheers.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
So this so called ruby "parure has only a measley 37 ruby and diamond necklance to it??? I am, to say the least, disappointed.
There are certainly enough stones in that one necklace to make a respectable parure, if only someone had some taste!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
The Queen Mother left all of her jewels to The Queen in a tax-free transfer to avoid estate tax. She did not approve of Camilla and made it quite clear that she was opposed to Charles marrying her.

The Queen refused to consider the matter until after her mother's death because of her disapproval.

But it is quite interesting that Camilla is wearing mainly jewels from the Queen Mother.
Despite this tax transfer, why the Queen (ERII) doesn't loan anything to the Princes Royal or Sarah (both are the only granddaughters of the Q.Mum)I haven't seen them wearing those jewels.

That the Royal Jewels (Orient Ruby Circlet, Ruby Parure, Queen Alexandra driple etc) are in the possesion of ER II is quite clear. Because there royal heirlooms.
And could it not be possible that those items also will go oneday to Charles (when he became King) or, when he died to William???
Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Sorry guys, but I've removed a number of recent posts. This thread is for the jewellery worn by the Duchess of Cornwall. It is not about Diana's jewels, nor is it a thread for the comparison of Diana and Camilla's jewels and personal tastes.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator
Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Sorry guys, but I've removed a number of recent posts. This thread is for the jewellery worn by the Duchess of Cornwall. It is not about Diana's jewels, nor is it a thread for the comparison of Diana and Camilla's jewels and personal tastes.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator
I join this opinion. Also I miss sometimes a bit politeness here.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen
Most likely a piece of Queen Mum. It´s her style.

But I´d like to know, who decides about the pieces Camilla is getting and in what time? Or has she got the whole "Queen Mum"-jewelry and decides for herself?
Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth has left her entire estate (including her debts) to her only surviving child, The Queen.

It is possible Queen Elizabeth has left provisions, expressing her wish that her eldest grandson will have the usufruct of her estate, but that is only what we can guess.

Formally it is The Queen, de jure the owner, who has provided an amazing amount of jewels to her daughter-in-law, The Duchess of Cornwall.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Most likely a piece of Queen Mum. It´s her style.

But I´d like to know, who decides about the pieces Camilla is getting and in what time? Or has she got the whole "Queen Mum"-jewelry and decides for herself?
I don't recognise this as anything the late QM ever wore - my bet is that it is more likely to be one of the Alice Keppel pieces that Charles has bought for her.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Royal Highness

Naval theme

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW
I don't recognise this as anything the late QM ever wore - my bet is that it is more likely to be one of the Alice Keppel pieces that Charles has bought for her.
It most likely is not a Van Keppel heirloom.

The broche clearly shows rowing-spades bundled together and shows a naval theme, very fitting to the occasion. Maybe it is a new broche offered to the Duchess on behalf of the construction wharf which build HMS Astute or the Royal Navy.

It can also be a brooch once presented to Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth, once she baptized a naval ship in her long, long life.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

All of The Queen Mother's jewels were left to The Queen. She has clearly chosen to give Camilla one tiara associated with Queen Mary (the Delhi Durbar) and one associated with her mother (the Boucheron Diamond Honeycomb). Since it is very likely Camilla will become Queen Consort, this is appropriate.

I highly doubt The Queen Mother left instructions regarding her jewels. As her only surviving daughter, The Queen could certainly decide what she wanted to do with her mother's personal property.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
She has clearly chosen to give Camilla one tiara associated with Queen Mary (the Delhi Durbar) and one associated with her mother (the Boucheron Diamond Honeycomb).
Or lend. Since she hasn't tended to wear the Delhi Durbar one herself and hasn't worn the honeycomb since her mother died, do we actually know the conditions under which Camilla gets to use them?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Everything I've ever read indicates that the queen lends pieces to the family members, not gives. This way the jewels always return to the crown and can never be sold or given or left to anyone else. Makes sense to me!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Courtier

But does the Queen decide about every single one? She had to spend lot of time with it. I mean Camilla got lots of jewelry.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But does the Queen decide about every single one? She had to spend lot of time with it. I mean Camilla got lots of jewelry.
I'm quite sure that it's must all be kept centrally under someone's watchful eye, and probably that any piece that one of them wants to borrow would be put to HM as a request. No doubt once it has been borrowed then the permission is "taken as read" until any other instructions are given. Let's face it, this may amount to a handful of requests per year - not really unmanageable....
Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Or lend. Since she hasn't tended to wear the Delhi Durbar one herself and hasn't worn the honeycomb since her mother died, do we actually know the conditions under which Camilla gets to use them?
I highly doubt The Queen would "lend" two high profile tiaras associated with her mother and grandmother to Camilla with the intent of wearing them herself when she chooses.

They are, in reality, gifts to a future Queen Consort, just as Diana received Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara in the same spirit.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The royal jewelry belongs to The Queen and she most certainly approved each and every piece given to Camilla. Once she dies, the entire collection is inherited by Charles as the new Sovereign anyway.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
Everything I've ever read indicates that the queen lends pieces to the family members, not gives. This way the jewels always return to the crown and can never be sold or given or left to anyone else. Makes sense to me!
She may lend pieces for certain formal occasions (such as when Diana wore the Saudi diamond necklaces and Victoria's diamond earrings a few times), but these are promptly returned. All other jewels are gifts with the intention of being passed on to her descendants.

As noted before, in the case of Diana, she was required to guarantee in her divorce agreement that any jewels given to her by The Queen and The Queen Mother could never be lent or sold. She also added a codicil to her will stating her royal jewels were to be given to Prince William after he marries.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Does anyone know what the big red brooch is HRH is wearing in this pic?

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7904/is14426149hw8.jpg
Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Royal Highness

I don't know what that stone is--garnet?--but that diamond work around the central stone looks impressive (albeit from a distance). I really like the hat!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 06-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Does anyone know what the big red brooch is HRH is wearing in this pic?

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7904/is14426149hw8.jpg
I don't think I have seen her wear that before.

Wherever it came from, it is magnificent, and she has the style, chic, and sheer elegance to wear it with confidence.

She really does have the carriage to carry off those very large pieces!

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery