The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

The only reason that I am familiar with that particular animal is that i had the extreme misfortune to have them placed in my bed when I was younger by my brothers. At which point I would inevitably roll over them, crush them, and release that awful smell. Perhaps I would find them more elegant were it not for those experiences. Mind you, I am not sure if thos animals, the frogs or the garden snakes that my brothers placed in the bed were worse... Sigh.....

Old 02-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Royal Highness

Well, I can certainly understand your aversion to stink bugs! I think it my brother had pulled that type of joke on me, I would not be a big fan, myself. However, in diamonds, this particular stink bug does take on a less sinister appearance, I think. Actually, I really like the piece--I think it is very eclectic and actually, it shows that HRH isn't scared to wear something very unusual. I wonder where it comes from? Anyway....

On my post where I posted the Greville earrings, I linked the wrong picture for Queen Mary's stomacher--here it is:

Cornwall1
and I think it is high time we see more than just a piece of it! It's a stunning piece. If no one wants to wear it this way, perhaps it could be fashioned into a tiara? The workmanship is stunning. And, if need be, I'll sacrifice and take one of those pear drops if they can't find anywhere to put it!

Janet

Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Royal Highness

OK--this is the LAST time I'm trying this. Apparently, I can't link to anything right tonight. Here, I hope, is the diamond stomacher of our beloved, diamond covered Queen Mary:

Queen Mary's Stomacher pictures from history photos on webshots

and I am done for the night!
Janet
Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99
And, if need be, I'll sacrifice and take one of those pear drops if they can't find anywhere to put it!

Janet
Why don't I sacrifice for everyone and take the whole collection!

But I'm afraid Warren will come after me chasing after some diamonds. That necklace that Camilla wore in Philly was to die for.

Yes I know it was ostentatious but that's why I follow royalty. I'll go to my local society tea for tasteful and understated.

Sometimes I wish the United States had a royal family that wasn't ashamed of their wealth. For that matter, I wish Great Britain's family wasn't ashamed of their wealth. I'd love to see Granny's chips take a turn on some British royal.

But the republicans would complain its too ostentatious. Oh well we'll have to do with Camilla's several tier emerald necklace and the Dehli Durbar tiara.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Royal Highness

I don't know Ysebel, as a Rebublican, I am all for some ostentatious jewels! We just don't have that certain "panache" here in our country. I think its because our elected officials are more "civil servants" than anything else. Alas, the eras of Barbara Hutton and Doris Duke and the Vanderbilt women are gone--and those ladies had some jewels. Nothing to rival Her Majesty, but not too bad. Its a shame--all we get to see now are loaners from Harry Winston at the Academy Awards (well, Gwyneth's Paltrow's father bought her that gorgeous necklace she wore the night she won--dripping in diamonds--it was royal worthy)! OH, and we had Wallis--but then she left us for Edward VIII.
Janet
Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Heir Apparent

You know, I miss the time (even though I was not even born yet) when women dressed like women, and took the time to look good, instead of going out with rollers in their hair and sweatpants. To be quite honest, and I am sure sound really old fashioned, I always think that women should look the best they can. I know that I always feel better when I take the time to look my best. My grandmother never went out of the house without her face on, and I miss that. Although I can't say the same for myself, I do try and look like I haven't recently rolld out of bed.

I admire royal women in that respect. They take the time to look as if they took the time, if you know what I mean. I guess I would have been better off had I been born in the time when women had a drink and slippers ready, but then again I do detest the double standard, so who knows where I would land.

All I know is that I applaud the women that take the time to enhance their natural beauty, and more power to them if they have jewels to accent it with. I can't say that I have ever seen a royal lady look like she just rolled out of bed. I aspire to that I suppose.

And I am just having an awful time explaining myself tonight, so I apologize for the long winded post.....
Old 02-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
I have to say, that in the link that you provide, unidentified brooch 1 look in fact like a giant stink bug. It actually has the shape of that atrocious smelling bug. Interesting to say the least. I wonder where on earth she got that from.
Over here it is a stick insect, definitly non smelly! I once put my brothers collection of them in a bush, so they could stretch their legs, needless to say, they were never seen again and I ran a 2 minute mile!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The question was "other than that collar..." Do you recall seeing her wearing rubies apart from the Saudi necklace? Can't say I do, but I'm probably forgetting something.
So it was

I recall seeing Camilla wear the Keppel piece but they aren't real rubies are they?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

Which Keppel piece? I have been searching for a picture of the tiara which was given to Alice Keppel (with real diamonds but fake rubies) and cannot find it. Is that what you are talking about? I would love to see that piece!

Empress, I totally agree with you about a lady's appearance. While I know I will never be of the June Cleaver persuasion (high heels and pearls to vacuum) I do try to be presentable when I leave the house. My "face" is on--consisting of some concealer, moisturizer, powder, mascara and a hint of color on my cheeks and lips--and I am usually dressed nicely. Not HM nicely, but I try to look the best I can. Now, if I'm running late--you can tell. The hair isn't quite so neat, but I'm not out there in curlers or sweats, either! I think it is appaling when I"m in Target or somewhere, and there are women in there with those pink curlers in their hair--just strolling about, without even trying to hide them under a scarf! Women should try to look their best--its an ego boost if you do!
Janet
Old 02-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99
Which Keppel piece? I have been searching for a picture of the tiara which was given to Alice Keppel (with real diamonds but fake rubies) and cannot find it. Is that what you are talking about? I would love to see that piece!
That's it exactly, Janet.

Sorry about the clarity..It's a little hazy.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

That Keppel tiara is nice and simple(which i love). But the tiara is too simple for camilla since the jewellery she wears now is a bit extravagant .
Old 02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Royal Highness

I have seen that! The Keppel tiara is lovely, and very simple. Would it be worn like that Oriental inspired piece, the Westminster tiara that once held the Arcots and Hastings diamonds? It looks as if it would frame the face, rather than lie on the head. It is very pretty--I would like HRH in it, with some lovely drop earrings in the same red stone (since we know they're not real rubies--or so I've heard!).
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Courtier

Camilla wore the Keppel ruby tiara as a necklace:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...sKeppelsRu.jpg

About the photo: This picture was scanned from a French magazine and was originally posted either at the Glittering Royal Events MB or Royal Jewels of the World MB. The original poster said that the photo was taken before Charles and Camilla got married and several years after the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Thought I would share it here.

Best wishes, Ayvee
Old 02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Courtier

I could not agree with you ladies more. re this business of double standard, I must remind you that in those days women were not helpless little playthings either and had quite a few cards up their sleeves and knew well enough how to use them. Here in the South we still have what we call steel magnolias and they are formidable indeed. Where people got this idea of women as helpless little thirteen year old mongoloids is beyond me.

It is all a question of self respect. Women today look like sluts and men look like slobs, criminals and street bums. It is all this poverty mentality. This at the same time is the most negative time in the history of the human race. I cannot help but think of the wonderful saying: "How ugly we are becoming from being unable to think well of oursleves." It is quite obvious when you put on that kind of jewelry and that kind of class you have quite a different view of yourself and the world and it shows.

so give me glamour, beauty, elegance and outrageously beautiful jewels and well dressed and witty women whether they are all that beautiful or not-in their souls they are bearers of light.

PS would somebody please be so kind as to explain or show me what on earth the triple drop necklace or whatever is. I cannot pull up some of the links here. And now before Warren kicks me off the forum, cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Try the link now, Thomas; I think I've fixed it (it's in post 10 of this thread).
Old 02-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Gentry

Did Camilla and the Queen Mother get along? Do you think the QM would be Okay with Camilla wearing so many of her pieces?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:11 AM

Based on the tales of Margaret Rhodes and several others including Countess Mountbatten of Burma who gave Gyles Brandreth frank interviews, the concensus was that the Queen Mother was happy for Charles and let him use the Castle of Mey to take Camilla away for weekends. Countess Mountbatten said in a TV programme aired on the wedding day, "The Queen Mother wasn't happy about the situation because she felt it hurt Charles, it hurt Camilla and it hurt Diana and her belief was that he should marry Camilla and make it all above board". Margaret Rhodes said that the Queen Mother met Camilla several times from the 70s and through to her death in 2002. Rhodes said that they got on very well so I don't think the Queen Mother would worry about her pieces being worn by Camilla and remember - she left those pieces to Charles for the use of his wife. The Queen Mother had a long time to change her will after 1992 if she didn't want them going to Camilla so I'd say we can safely believe that the Queen Mother wouldn't mind in the slightest.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
That Keppel tiara is nice and simple(which i love). But the tiara is too simple for camilla since the jewellery she wears now is a bit extravagant .
We know that Camilla has a very special relationship to Alice Keppel, and i also think her jewels have a special value to the Duchess. Prince Charles bought many of the old pieces and gave it as a love gift to Camilla.
I don´t think that now the Duchess only will wear extravagant jewels like the necklace from the US trip. She also loves to wear older gifts and heirlooms.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca
We know that Camilla has a very special relationship to Alice Keppel, and i also think her jewels have a special value to the Duchess. Prince Charles bought many of the old pieces and gave it as a love gift to Camilla.
Most women value the jewels worn by their ancesters, as well as the gifts they receive and I wouldn't think Camilla is any different. I always thought how wonderful of Charles to find some of the missing pieces. I'm sure we will see, over the years old and new, large and small.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Royal Highness

Charles has been so villified and maligned for so long because of his devotion to Camilla, but I have always found it to show that he truly loves her and that she is the one, true love of his life. I think his heart must be beautiful to have searched for pieces that Camilla's family had to sell so he could return them to her. The Keppell piece is beautiful as a necklace and suits HRH beautifully--actually, has there been anything she has worn that didn't suit her? The only thing I can think of is that art deco emerald pin which she wore with the white suit (bad background choice, but a beautiful pin!). Camilla has a fantastic ability to pull off both impressive and simple pieces of jewellery. Not everyone has this ability.
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery