Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 3: Nov 2005 - Feb 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am referrring to her diamond "snake" necklace and another one she has with a diamond "fringe". Very bling no style. Camilla does generally have very tasteful gowns but when one wears a necklace of that magnitude one does not need to supplement by making a statement with one's decolletage!
One does not need to wear deco pieces to have style, but when one simply wears lots of diamonds it does not mean they are automatically beautiful or tasteful.

I don't think any of the pieces are "tacky" or "gaudy". They are all very beautiful and modern pieces that look nice on her.

Avalon said:
As for the Queen Alexandra brooch, personally I see no reason why she shouldn't wear it. Camilla is the Princess of Wales and has every right to wear it. Just my opinion.

As has been discussed before, there are actually several Prince of Wales feather brooches, including two made for Alexandra and one for Queen Mary. Diana received one of the brooches as a wedding gift.

qui mal y pense said:
I am referrring to her diamond "snake" necklace .... one does not need to supplement by making a statement with one's decolletage!
Oh, I must also be guilty of being 'gaudy', I too have a very similar snake necklace. :lol: What 'statement' do you think she was making with her neckline? :ermm:

Wow, that rubby necklace is impressive, but I think it's just TOO much! She would have still looked great wearing a necklace with half those gems!

Last edited:
Camilla would be most unlikely to insult her (Saudi?) benefactor by tampering with the gift before it had made a debut public appearance. Later on maybe, but then again she may like it just the way it is. In any case a close look at the new necklace shows a collar section which possibly could be worn as a separate piece.

Warren said:
In any case a close look at the new necklace shows a collar section which possibly could be worn as a separate piece.
Well spotted Warren. :)
How about some photoshopping? :idea:

Skydragon said:
Oh, I must also be guilty of being 'gaudy', I too have a very similar snake necklace. :lol: What 'statement' do you think she was making with her neckline? :ermm:

I liked the snake necklace very much when she combined it with a tiara once. it made for a nice combination, IMHO.

The neckline was perfect in my opinion. One could see that the dress was exactly made for this necklace, so I guess camilla really liked this gift. And I think she still has the decolleté to be able to wear such pieces. :)

Can you imagine the headlines if Camilla had refused this very generous gift, how she had insulted whoever had given it to her. The slight against the giver if she had altered it to appease the people who didn't like it! :cool:

zarzuela said:
Wow, that ruby necklace is impressive, but I think it's just TOO much!
Initially I thought it looked a bit OTT, But, she has the carriage and the decolletage to wear it with class. The neckline of her dress was obviously designed for the necklace, but was not, in any way, vulgar! :cool:

We all seem to be talking about different things, when I use the word decolletage, I am talking about the neckline of her dress as per the dictionary meaning. Decolletage.

:lol:

I mean't valgarity as in something so illustrious that to the eye of many within this, the 21st century, it is certain to be seen as something over the top and outdated (as in to be worn) by at least 40 years.

Its an amazing piece but being a society where less is more nowadays...;)

I think it suits her and only someone (in my mind) who represents the designation which Camilla now holds (or higher) could justly pull it off. The piece truly is her equivalent in jewellery :)

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
We all seem to be talking about different things, when I use the word decolletage, I am talking about the neckline of her dress as per the dictionary meaning. Decolletage.
Checked the link and I am talking about the depth of the neckline of her dress, and whether it exposed a vulgar amount of skin (statement) as intimated in the following:
qui mal y pense said:
.....but when one wears a necklace of that magnitude one does not need to supplement by making a statement with one's decolletage!
By the way, what does supplement imply exactly? :huh:

MARG said:
Checked the link and I am talking about the depth of the neckline of her dress, and whether it exposed a vulgar amount of skin (statement) as intimated in the following:By the way, what does supplement imply exactly? :huh:

Your guess is as good, if not better than mine. :lol: The dictionary meaning is "something which is added to something else in order to improve it or complete it; something extra".

I think she showed just the right amount of cleavage! :ohmy:

I think it looked wonderful and I wouldn't say no to someone offering me the same necklace.

Skydragon said:
I think it looked wonderful and I wouldn't say no to someone offering me the same necklace.
Neither would I. Sadly I think I need to have a little more in the way of natural assets for it to look any good. :ROFLMAO:
But oh how I love rubies!:wub:

qui mal y pense said:
The brooch mentioned in the article as having been worn upside down cannot be the new one Camilla wore- that is obviously a heart with 2 dangling ornaments that I don't think can be worn any other way!

Sorry for the mistake, I was referring to another brooch. :flowers:
I don't have information about this one, nor was I able to find any. But I think it's a great piece of jewelry.

Skydragon said:

:lol:
In German, we use the word decolleté for both the skin and the neckline of a dress. Or would somebody use skin cream to the neckline of a dress in order to make it look younger?:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jo of Palatine said:
In German, we use the word decolleté for both the skin and the neckline of a dress. Or would somebody use skin cream to the neckline of a dress in order to make it look younger?:lol:

Ahhh. If we now see a cream advertised for the neckline of dresses, we will blame you! :lol:

The Saudis are known to give very expensive and lavish gifts of jewelry to members of the British royal family, including The Queen's two Harry Winston diamond necklaces. It's not unusual.

Succulent opulence

The necklace was of an unbelievable succulent opulence that even Queen Mary would have had popped eyes.

It was a very big necklace and I'm sure that it would have been nicer with a few 'strings' of diamonds less. But when you give it a closer look, you see that the first row can easily be transformed into a nice choker-style necklace and the remeoved parts form nice bracelets and broches to make a demi-parure.

I think that the Duchess, out of politeness and en courteoisie to her generous giver, at least for once wanted to wear the necklace in original style.

A second closer look learns that the Robson Valentine gown was in design, colour and cut clearly made with this opulent necklace in mind. The deep cleavage shows the shape of the necklace.

But one thing can be said, at least Camilla cán wear this triumphant treasure. Not many women can.

Jo of Palatine said:
A not so nice article about Camilla's jewelery:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23383620-details/Camilla's+rubies,+the+Saudi+prince+and+a+very+peculiar+protocol/article.do

Camilla's rubies, the Saudi prince and a very peculiar protocol

Clearly it is one of those private gifts to a member of the Royal Family which is unlikely to be 'fenced' for cash at some later date.

Thank you for posting the link to these interesting articles, so we could all read them.

When I referred to Camilla's "supplementing her necklace with her decolletage" I meant that by wearing undergarments that made her bulge :blush: upwards- to be very crass- rather than just wearing a low cut gown and showing cleavage she was competing with the necklace. Just the fact that there has been so much discussion about it proves my point. The Queen and Queen Mum often wear and wore very low cut gowns but they have the good taste never to "bulge" like that.
PS. Being under 30 myself and very 21st century, I don't think I'm that much of a prude.

Last edited:
qui mal y pense said:
PS. Being under 30 myself and very 21st century, I don't think I'm that much of a prude.

I don't mean it in any way personally, please believe me, but could it be that the fact that an elderly woman wears such decolletage makes it so inappropriate to some?

I find that Camilla radiates a kind of positive energy that is very appealing to me - so why should she not wear something daring? But if another person's view of beauty is limited to a certain age or a certain firmness of the body then it might appear not so appealing. Okay, I can understand that. Mileage varies.

I don't think it is the age that is the problem. Camilla usually looks fabulous and even though I question her judgement in this case I don't think she looks ugly (just a bit vulgar). Like I said earlier it is not the plunging neckline, rather what is rising too obviously. :lol:

The days of flattening your bosoms has, thank goodness, gone. The necklace would not have looked as spectacular on someone flat chested. There is only so much one can do with boobs if one is well endowed.

The neckline is not that low by most peoples standards and she is certainly not wearing the ubiquitous wonderbra.

The necklace is superb, can't we just enjoy it, drool and envy. ;)

I really adore the opulent luxuriance and succulence which surrounds the Duchess. Most of the times she simply hits the perfect right notes. I agree with Skydragon: this jewel should be worn by well-endowed ladies to let it splendour in all mouthwatering glitter.

She would have been a dream model for the famous Flemish Master Peter Paul Rubens, known for his allegoric paintings with blossoming and creamy goddesses.

Hey! Us "flat-chested" girls can also shine with this type of necklace! ;)
O.k. so maybe I'm not that flat-chested...but it could still be worn with a low cut neckline, it would just be sans the cleavage. The necklace would not rest entirely on our boobs (or more like non-existant boobs!) but it would still look smashing! All in all, IMO, Camilla looked elegant, regal and age approriate.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom