The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I appreciate your response but am not sure how it relates to mine as I was not referring to the Prince Wales Coat of Arms, but Queen Mary's Emerald & Diamond Art Deco Choker which was personally selected by HM the Queen as a wedding gift for the then, soon to be, Princess of Wales.
Apologies Madame Royale, I was, of course referring to the infamous brooch. About which my comments stand.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
No one knows exactly how The Queen Mother came into possession of the Sri Lankan sapphire, but it may have been part of the collection of unset stones she had accumulated over the years, likely to be gifts from the Indian princes or passed on to her by Queen Mary.

Either way it was a wedding gift made for Diana with two rows of diamonds (again possibly from The Queen Mother's collection) and was considered to be a personal item since it was not part of the Sovereign's collection.
Thanks for your response, branchg.

The possibilities of its provenance are really intruiging. What a history if this is the case

Knowing it had not belonged to HM the Queen, I just wanted to add it to the list which you had already noted regarding her 'truly royal jewels', which I also associated to be amongst her most recognisable.

Again, thank you for your response

Quote:
Apologies Madame Royale, I was, of course referring to the infamous brooch. About which my comments stand.
That's quite alright, Marg

Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Nobility

I think all this talk about the brooch is just crazy. I think that it is not a question of if Camilla can wear any of the royal collection, it is why would she pick these peices. It is also not a question of if you are a Diana or Camilla fan? It is a question of why would you pick something that your husbands ex wore? Camilla IS the current POW, like it or not! Camilla is set to become the next Queen, like it or not! I think for me, I would just pick other items. I would think that fans of Camilla would not want to see her in items that Diana did wear and wore alot. So I think that all this talk about can she wear it or not is just silly, yes she can! But why would you.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman
It is a question of why would you pick something that your husbands ex wore? Camilla IS the current POW, like it or not! Camilla is set to become the next Queen, like it or not! I think for me, I would just pick other items. I would think that fans of Camilla would not want to see her in items that Diana did wear and wore alot. So I think that all this talk about can she wear it or not is just silly, yes she can! But why would you.
As you can see from some of the other posts, not all of us believe it was the same brooch, just another brooch in the same style. Did you all expect Charles to stop using it on his letterheads just because his ex died?

Why would Camilla choose to wear the Prince of Wales Feathers brooch, because her husband had it made for her, IMO, and it is his heraldic symbol as a Prince of Wales, not an exclusive design for his ex wife.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Nobility

Again, I just do not understand this! Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales. She has nothing more to prove. All I am saying is if it is the same brooch, why would she want to even wear it. It has nothing to do with can she, it has to do with why she would want to!!!!!! If Prince Charles had a copy made of the the lover's knot why would Camilla want to wear it. I really do not care if she wears a POW Feathers Brooch, but why make it look like the one Diana wore. Make another kind of POW Brooch. I really do not believe that people would want to wear something to looked like something the ex wife wore.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

I kind of agree with portion of Msleiman's statement.

Certainly Camilla is entitled to wear any jewels that the Princess of Wales should wear. She is after all Princess of Wales. I personally wouldn't wear anything associated with an ex wife...dead or not. But thats just me and everyone is certainly entitled to think differently! As someone else mentioned, there's enough jewels in the royal vault that haven't seen the light of day for some time! Now it would be great if those pieces were pulled out and identified with Camilla. Wouldn't that be something to talk about :)

Though I would also agree that based on the pictures these are two totally different brooches and if Charles had both of them made at different times and with different feelings (his) than that is just as acceptable. Unfortunately for us, the press will not let the Camila vs Diana comparison just go away....and I say that as Diana fan (but not a fanatic :). At some point, we need to just move on, let her rest in peace and enjoy the days that we now live in.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

The brooches were all made for Queen Alexandra when she was Princess of Wales (there were several using the feathers) and another made for Queen Mary. So, there are at least four versions of the brooch featuring the heraldic symbol.

It's not a big deal one way or another. It's not like Camilla is waltzing around wearing Diana's jewels.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman
Again, I just do not understand this! Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales. She has nothing more to prove. All I am saying is if it is the same brooch, why would she want to even wear it. It has nothing to do with can she, it has to do with why she would want to!!!!!!
The brooch design was about long before Diana and will probably be about in an identical design long after Williams reign ends! It is not a case of having anything to prove, it is a design that her husband likes.

Perhaps we should do away with the princess cut for gemstones, or how about chokers, it is just plain silly. Camilla was wearing a brooch given to her by her darling husband and why shouldn't he give her a brooch of his heraldic symbol, to show his love!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
The brooch design was about long before Diana and will probably be about in an identical design long after Williams reign ends! It is not a case of having anything to prove, it is a design that her husband likes.
IIRC Diana had use of the Spencer Tiara till her brother's new wife wanted to wear it and so she had to return it to the Head of her family. It was reported that Diana didn't like to do it but she did it as tradition demanded it. So I believe that even if these jewels were once worn by Diana she would accept it as it's simply the tradition with family heirlooms to be passed to the next in line - be that lady the wife of the potential new Head of the House or the second wife of current Head. Diana grew up knowing these rules and accepted them, so she would have accepted it. So why should anyone else make a fuss about it?

I'm convinced in addition that if either prince William or prince Harry have a problem with Camilla wearing jewelery that once belonged to their mother, they will have any chance to voice that opposition and surely Camilla would not wear these pieces. So if the princes have no problem and Diana would have no problems either, again my question: why should anyone else bother?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Courtier

As long as Camilla don't wear Diana's jewllery, I think people should stop complaining about her choice. I don't think neither Charles or Camilla would regret the choice of the brooch. Camilla just wore her husband's symbol and matched with her earrings. The brooch is just beautiful and that's why Camilla wore it. Let's use this view to appreciate these historical jewllery. They have historical ties and they are beautiful.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla has been given very significant jewels from The Queen's collection, compared to anything Diana was ever given. So, I don't think we have to worry about it.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Courtier

The Duchess of Cornwall has done much to discourage any comparisons between herself and her more glamorous predecessor. I sincerely doubt that she wanted anyone to draw that comparison with something as discreet as a brooch. Many other princesses of Wales have worn this design of brooch, and it is known that there are two nearly identical ones in existence. It has been pointed out numerous times in comparing photos of Diana and Camilla that there are minute but potentially significant differences in the design, cut, and size of stones in their respective brooches.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:11 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

A rather spectacular diamond and sapphire necklace worn by the Duchess of Cornwall to the Prince's Trust Gala, November 2006.
At this stage, provenance is unknown.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2892/trust1if1.jpg

• Pic courtesy of BeatrixFan, originally posted in the Duchess of Cornwall current events thread.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
A rather spectacular diamond and sapphire necklace worn by the Duchess of Cornwall to the Prince's Trust Gala, November 2006.
At this stage, provenance is unknown.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2892/trust1if1.jpg

• Pic courtesy of BeatrixFan, originally posted in the Duchess of Cornwall current events thread.
My goodness! That is an impressive necklace. I hope we learn its story soon.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The design seems rather modern to me, so my guess is that it is a gift from the PoW.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:08 PM

I think that it's one of the gifts she recieved in Saudi Arabia but I can't be sure. If it was a gift from Charles we would have seen her wearing them before, so this has to be something she picked up last year or this year. That leaves Egypt, India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia etc. My bet is that it's a gift from the Saudi King who is well known for giving ladies jewels.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Wherever it came from, it's a very good reason to wear deep blue evening gowns.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Could ib be sapphires in Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's wedding gift from the King and Queen totally re-set? But it looks little Arabic designe.

Btw. I'm not quite sure but I think that I saw smth similar on Christie's site few months ago. But I can be wrong.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 PM

I don't it would be reset like that. The sapphires would have to be reshaped too. I think this must be a new piece, the question is - is it a gift from Charles or a gift from a foreign admirer?
Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Nobility

I would hope not. Camilla's necklace is dazzling just because of the size of the stones, but it isn't particularly beautiful. The Queen Mother's saphire necklace IS beautiful, why would anyone mess with it or its history. If I were very cynical I might suggest that perhaps the recent tours were profitable for the Duchess's jewel box.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery