The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjan
I have a question. The tiara that Camilla wore at her wedding is a family possesion. Is it a family heirloom or is it a recent purchase? Also does Camilla have royalty in her family background who wore this? It is such a pretty piece but after looking ,and drooling, I might add, at all of her jewels, this one has me stumped as to where it originated from.
In my knowledge it is a piece of the Cubbits, her grandmother. And she is the (grand?)daughter of Alice Keppel, the king´s mitstress. Alice Keppel had a lot of jewelry. May be it is from there.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do you think this tiara, the earrings, and the snake in the grass necklace are part of a mini parure. The necklace and earings match and the earings and tiara match so It got me wondering.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
Do you think this tiara, the earrings, and the snake in the grass necklace are part of a mini parure. The necklace and earings match and the earings and tiara match so It got me wondering.
I thought Camilla's wedding earrings were from Charles as a wedding present because I had never seen her wear them before. But I could be wrong. Does anyone know?

Also I thought her snake necklace was also a present from Charles.??
Old 05-15-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen
In my knowledge it is a piece of the Cubbits, her grandmother. And she is the (grand?)daughter of Alice Keppel, the king´s mitstress. Alice Keppel had a lot of jewelry. May be it is from there.
This was my first thought when I found out it is a Shand tiara. Maybe King Edward VII gave the ?original? necklace (?) to Alice Keppel and she or a descendent had it made into the tiara that it is now. That is so neat that Camilla wore it as a bride and now Laura has done the same. Maybe Camilla's mother also wore it for her wedding?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen
In my knowledge it is a piece of the Cubbits, her grandmother. And she is the (grand?)daughter of Alice Keppel, the king´s mistress. Alice Keppel had a lot of jewelry. May be it is from there.
She is the Great Grandaughter of Alice Keppel. One tiara that was given to Alice by King Edward VII, was purchased for Camilla by Charles and made into a necklace.

One of her Gt. Gt Grandfathers was Sir William Edmonstone (4th Boronet) and Roland Cubitt who was 3rd Baron Ashcombe, so it is feasible that she has inherited some jewls from them!
Old 05-15-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
She is the Great Grandaughter of Alice Keppel. One tiara that was given to Alice by King Edward VII, was purchased for Camilla by Charles and made into a necklace.

One of her Gt. Gt Grandfathers was Sir William Edmonstone (4th Boronet) and Roland Cubitt who was 3rd Baron Ashcombe, so it is feasible that she has inherited some jewls from them!
Was Alice Keppel daughter of Lord Ashcombe? I think she married a man named Keppel, is that correct?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Camilla loaned her first wedding tiara, the Cubbit now Shand tiara to her daughter Laura for her wedding. This looks like a converted necklace, does anyone else know if it was a necklace at one time?
and if it is a necklace converted into a tiara, can it stil be worn as a necklace?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
I heard a few years ago that Wallis's jewells were auctioned off at Christie's after her death by her relatives.
The Duchess died in 1986 and left no immediate survivors. Her estate was left to the Pasteur Medical Institute in France, which received approximately $40 million for the sale of her jewelry collection.

The remaining possessions, mainly the contents of their mansion in Paris, were purchased by Mr. Al-Fayed when he took over the lease.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Courtier

I noticed that at the beginning of part two of this discussion, it was suggested that the Duchess might have Queen Mary's Loop Tiara available to her. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this tiara, as it has been much speculated that the Loop Tiara was dismantled to create another (perhaps it was the Durbar Tiara?).
Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Aristocracy

There's been a lot of speculation about the faith of both the Dunbar and the loop tiara.
The Dunbar tiara reappeared at an exhibition a couple of years ago, but the loop tiara seems to be known only from an old photograph of Queen Mary wearing it. So noone really know if it still exists.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Courtier

I had always heard that the Loop Tiara was not seen after the date of the Durbar in Delhi, and this is the reason why many speculate that it was taken apart and the stones used to create the Durbar Tiara. Either way, whoever speculated about Camilla receiving the Durbar Tiara was square on. (I believe they were also correct about the Boucheron Honeycomb Tiara--as it appears that Camilla is receiving those tiaras that had previously belonged to the Queen Mother. Does anyone have any information about the whereabouts of the tiaras that belonged to the Queen Mother when she was Duchess of York? I believe I have seen a recent picture of the Palmetto tiara, although I do not know who owns it. Is there anyone with information about other old tiaras formerly in the hands of the Queen Mother?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Not true. It was widely reported after The Queen Mother's death that all of her jewels and private possessions were left to The Queen. Whatever jewels of The Queen Mother we see now on Camilla are gifts (or loans) from The Queen.
As much as I am sure that most of the larger pieces (including tiaras) were left to the Queen, I have a hard time believing that absolutely everything went that way. There are the state jewels, yes, which have to go, but there are also private jewels which could easily have been set aside for the wives of various members of the family. Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) was well-known for her prodigious collection of jewellery, and I think it seems a bit illogical to believe that it all went to one place. In any case, the jewels worn by Camilla are far more likely to be actual gifts than simply loans (I speak specifically of pieces such as earrings and brooches). However, even tiaras that are loaned to Camilla will not likely be seen on anyone else anytime to soon, as there are plenty of jewels to go around and these have been, in a way, set aside for Camilla's use.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

It was reported at the time of the Queen Mother's death that she'd left her estate to the Queen in a tax-free sovereign-to-sovereign transfer, so it's quite possible that all her major jewellery, whether it had historical significance or not, was left to the Queen, who has been loaning it or gifting it to family members.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/s...710692,00.html
Old 05-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Courtier

Camilla's Earrings

I have a question for all the jewelry savvy people out there, are there duplicates out there of the Duchess of Cornwall's wedding earrings?

Here is lady Tamara Grosvenor wearing the earrings at her wedding:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1099754622

And here is the Duchess of Cornwall wearing them at her wedding:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...6&d=1113066514

Who owns these earrings? Or does the Queen lend them out?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Courtier

Shocking! But if the Queen would lend them out, why did Laura wear it on her wedding? And I think, I saw it on Camilla before wedding. There must be more copies of them. Unbelievable...
Old 05-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Arent the Grovsner family and Camillas family connected somehow. Maybe there was a more than a pair of those earings and they were passed down throught the generations.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Royal Highness

Here are lovely necklace and earrings Camilla wore at a recent official event (From GettyImages, Tim Graham): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1&d=1151329369
^pretty amythest stone admist the pearls
Old 07-29-2006, 01:18 AM

Duchess Camilla looks marvellous and so elegant, wearing her newly acquired pieces of jewelry that was once worn by the Queen Mother.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:21 AM

Hey Hornsen,
The earrings that Camilla wore on her wedding was not a loan from the Queen. They are hers and so she lent them to her daughter Laura.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:17 PM

Another brooch from the Queen Mother

A friend of mine bought a piece from a jewelry designer, Rachel Jeffrey, and while checking her website, I came across another link between the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Rothesay. This link would be elusive, since the Queen Mother never wore this brooch, at least in public.

This designer was commissioned by The Salmon and Trout Association, of which the Queen Mother was a patron, to design a brooch for HM Queen Mother on the occasion of her 100th birthday. The design was based on the fly created by David Fynsong and inspired by the Queen Mother's long association with salmon fishing on the Aberdeenshire Dee. In the the boxed presentation case, a hand tied example of this fly by David Fynsong accompanies the brooch.

From the designers website:
"The brooch is made of solid 18 carat gold. Influenced by the name of the fly, Rachel placed a blue grey pearl at the top to represent the head of the fly. Representing the body the central lattice work is encrusted with tiny sapphires, emeralds and rubies. The shoulders of the wings are set with yellow and white diamonds and a diamond rondel encircles the base pearl. The tail of the fly has been interpreted in 18 carat gold and resembles an inverted crown."
The brooch (1st attachment), and the corresponding sketch by the artist (2nd attachment), both © Rachel Jeffrey, which I re-hosted, to be found in the link posted at the end.

Also from the designer's website:
"The Pearl of the Dee brooch has now been passed on to a new owner in the Royal Family. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall can be seen wearing it in the official engagement photograph of her and Prince Charles taken outside Birkhall in Scotland in February 2005. The photograph can also be seen on the Royal Mail 68 pence stamp, commemorating the Royal Wedding."

Actually I am not totally convinced it is the same brooch, it looks different, but you can see it in the 3rd attachment, photo © Carolyn Robb/Corbis.

Camilla, Duchess of Rothesay also wore this brooch during Prince Charles and Camilla honeymoon, for the opening of the Monaltrie Park children playground in Ballater, Scotland, on the 14th April 2005.

The curious annedocte on this occasion is that the Duchess wore it upside down, as you can tell by the photos in the 4th and 5th attachments, both © Tim Graham/Corbis.

I guess the Prince of Wales just spotted it in the last one...

The link to the designers website:
http://www.racheljeffrey.co.uk/index.htm

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery