The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

We all seem to be talking about different things, when I use the word decolletage, I am talking about the neckline of her dress as per the dictionary meaning. Decolletage.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I mean't valgarity as in something so illustrious that to the eye of many within this, the 21st century, it is certain to be seen as something over the top and outdated (as in to be worn) by at least 40 years.

Its an amazing piece but being a society where less is more nowadays...

I think it suits her and only someone (in my mind) who represents the designation which Camilla now holds (or higher) could justly pull it off. The piece truly is her equivalent in jewellery

Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
We all seem to be talking about different things, when I use the word decolletage, I am talking about the neckline of her dress as per the dictionary meaning. Decolletage.
Checked the link and I am talking about the depth of the neckline of her dress, and whether it exposed a vulgar amount of skin (statement) as intimated in the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense
.....but when one wears a necklace of that magnitude one does not need to supplement by making a statement with one's decolletage!
By the way, what does supplement imply exactly?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Checked the link and I am talking about the depth of the neckline of her dress, and whether it exposed a vulgar amount of skin (statement) as intimated in the following:By the way, what does supplement imply exactly?
Your guess is as good, if not better than mine. The dictionary meaning is "something which is added to something else in order to improve it or complete it; something extra".

I think she showed just the right amount of cleavage!

I think it looked wonderful and I wouldn't say no to someone offering me the same necklace.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think it looked wonderful and I wouldn't say no to someone offering me the same necklace.
Neither would I. Sadly I think I need to have a little more in the way of natural assets for it to look any good.
But oh how I love rubies!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The brooch mentioned in the article as having been worn upside down cannot be the new one Camilla wore- that is obviously a heart with 2 dangling ornaments that I don't think can be worn any other way!
Sorry for the mistake, I was referring to another brooch.
I don't have information about this one, nor was I able to find any. But I think it's a great piece of jewelry.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

In German, we use the word decolleté for both the skin and the neckline of a dress. Or would somebody use skin cream to the neckline of a dress in order to make it look younger?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Create clickable link

A not so nice article about Camilla's jewelery:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23383620-details/Camilla's+rubies,+the+Saudi+prince+and+a+very+peculiar+protocol/article.do

Camilla's rubies, the Saudi prince and a very peculiar protocol

Clearly it is one of those private gifts to a member of the Royal Family which is unlikely to be 'fenced' for cash at some later date.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
In German, we use the word decolleté for both the skin and the neckline of a dress. Or would somebody use skin cream to the neckline of a dress in order to make it look younger?
Ahhh. If we now see a cream advertised for the neckline of dresses, we will blame you!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Saudis are known to give very expensive and lavish gifts of jewelry to members of the British royal family, including The Queen's two Harry Winston diamond necklaces. It's not unusual.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Royal Highness

Succulent opulence

The necklace was of an unbelievable succulent opulence that even Queen Mary would have had popped eyes.

It was a very big necklace and I'm sure that it would have been nicer with a few 'strings' of diamonds less. But when you give it a closer look, you see that the first row can easily be transformed into a nice choker-style necklace and the remeoved parts form nice bracelets and broches to make a demi-parure.

I think that the Duchess, out of politeness and en courteoisie to her generous giver, at least for once wanted to wear the necklace in original style.

A second closer look learns that the Robson Valentine gown was in design, colour and cut clearly made with this opulent necklace in mind. The deep cleavage shows the shape of the necklace.

But one thing can be said, at least Camilla cán wear this triumphant treasure. Not many women can.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Something catty....

Telegraph newspaper online | Camilla plunges into controversy

Camilla plunges into controversy

Can the Duchess of Cornwall really get away with dressing like Catherine Zeta Jones, asks Bryony Gordon
Old 01-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
A not so nice article about Camilla's jewelery:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23383620-details/Camilla's+rubies,+the+Saudi+prince+and+a+very+peculiar+protocol/article.do

Camilla's rubies, the Saudi prince and a very peculiar protocol

Clearly it is one of those private gifts to a member of the Royal Family which is unlikely to be 'fenced' for cash at some later date.
Thank you for posting the link to these interesting articles, so we could all read them.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Nobility

When I referred to Camilla's "supplementing her necklace with her decolletage" I meant that by wearing undergarments that made her bulge upwards- to be very crass- rather than just wearing a low cut gown and showing cleavage she was competing with the necklace. Just the fact that there has been so much discussion about it proves my point. The Queen and Queen Mum often wear and wore very low cut gowns but they have the good taste never to "bulge" like that.
PS. Being under 30 myself and very 21st century, I don't think I'm that much of a prude.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
PS. Being under 30 myself and very 21st century, I don't think I'm that much of a prude.
I don't mean it in any way personally, please believe me, but could it be that the fact that an elderly woman wears such decolletage makes it so inappropriate to some?

I find that Camilla radiates a kind of positive energy that is very appealing to me - so why should she not wear something daring? But if another person's view of beauty is limited to a certain age or a certain firmness of the body then it might appear not so appealing. Okay, I can understand that. Mileage varies.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Nobility

I don't think it is the age that is the problem. Camilla usually looks fabulous and even though I question her judgement in this case I don't think she looks ugly (just a bit vulgar). Like I said earlier it is not the plunging neckline, rather what is rising too obviously.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

The days of flattening your bosoms has, thank goodness, gone. The necklace would not have looked as spectacular on someone flat chested. There is only so much one can do with boobs if one is well endowed.

The neckline is not that low by most peoples standards and she is certainly not wearing the ubiquitous wonderbra.

The necklace is superb, can't we just enjoy it, drool and envy.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Royal Highness

I really adore the opulent luxuriance and succulence which surrounds the Duchess. Most of the times she simply hits the perfect right notes. I agree with Skydragon: this jewel should be worn by well-endowed ladies to let it splendour in all mouthwatering glitter.

She would have been a dream model for the famous Flemish Master Peter Paul Rubens, known for his allegoric paintings with blossoming and creamy goddesses.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Courtier

Hey! Us "flat-chested" girls can also shine with this type of necklace!
O.k. so maybe I'm not that flat-chested...but it could still be worn with a low cut neckline, it would just be sans the cleavage. The necklace would not rest entirely on our boobs (or more like non-existant boobs!) but it would still look smashing! All in all, IMO, Camilla looked elegant, regal and age approriate.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Something catty....

Telegraph newspaper online | Camilla plunges into controversy

Camilla plunges into controversy
Oh Meow! Ageist *****!

Quote:
Can the Duchess of Cornwall really get away with dressing like Catherine Zeta Jones, asks Bryony Gordon
Betcha bootees baby!

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery