Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 2: Feb-Nov 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elspeth

Former Moderator
City
Country
United States
Now that Camilla and Charles will be getting married, I assume she'll be able to wear some of the jewellery that's in the royal family collection. However, Queen Victoria specifically left some of the jewels for use by future queens; the list includes the George IV diadem, the ruby tiara worn by the Queen Mother so often, and several other fairly well-known pieces. I wonder if Camilla's role as Princess Consort means that she won't have access to any of these once Charles becomes king.

I assume the Cambridge emerald parure isn't part of this lot; it doesn't seem as though Queen Mary added much to the jewels left to the Crown by Queen Victoria.

It will be interesting to see what tiara Camilla will wear at her first official formal event once they are married.

Yes, I am wondering as well. Does this mean that some of the jewellery will go to Camilla instead of William's wife?

Danielle said:
Yes, I am wondering as well. Does this mean that some of the jewellery will go to Camilla instead of William's wife?

Good question, Danielle! I don't absolutely know the answer to your question but my bet is that there are already pieces set aside for whomever William marries and that these pieces were chosen long before Charles' engagement to Camilla. I also can't see Camilla begrudging a future daugher-in-law/s the chance to wear certain family pieces... But, as Princess consort she will outrank William's wife, correct? So, it wouldn't surprise me to see her wearing a wider selection of jewels from the royal collection.

Last edited:
I hope Charles is smart enough to know that many people won't ever accept Camilla. So I don't think Camilla will wear any grand items from the royal family collection at the wedding. But in time, I think Camilla may wear some of them. I think the wives of William and Harry will wear Di's jewels and the wife of William will wear the fairly well-known pieces.

Some of the tiara's that could be available to Camilla

Four Ideas

1. Queen Mum's Boucheron Tiara

2. Delhi Durbar Tiara

3. Queen Mary's Loop Tiara

4. Teck Rose & Cresent Tiara

Attachments

• HCombTiara.jpg
    HCombTiara.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,214
  • hDURBAH.jpg
    hDURBAH.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 639
  • HLoop.jpg
    HLoop.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 960
  • hTECK.jpg
    hTECK.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 975
I personally like the Teck Rose & Cresent Tiara. I think it would suit her well.

I think that he should have a Tiara made for her, or possibly use one from the "personal collection" of the Queen.

Since the Delhi Durbar tiara was made for something approaching a coronation - King George had a crown made for the same evet - I doubt that it would be suitable for a consort who wasn't going to be Queen. I also somewhat doubt the wisdom of having her wear something so closely associated with the Queen Mother.

I wonder if the Rundell tiara still exists.

Ennyllorac said:
I personally like the Teck Rose & Cresent Tiara. I think it would suit her well.
Yes, I think it would suit her too. I really love the Delhi Durbar Tiara. Very pretty.

Sure, she announced her 'blessings' in regard to the marriage, but I don't think the Queen would allow Camilla to borrow/keep a tiara from her own 'personal collection'.

Danielle said:
I am 100% sure that Charles' will/pre nup says the jewels stay in his family, not hers.

Bubbette said:
I am 100% sure that Charles' will/pre nup says the jewels stay in his family, not hers.
That's Bubbette. I'm glad that it's stipulated that the jewels should be kept directly within the family. It would be very sad if it wasn’t.

Some of the jewellery will probably go to Camilla rather than William's wife; it'd look a bit odd if the wife of the Prince of Wales and King wasn't able to wear anything from the royal collection. However, that jewellery would be for her use, not her personal property (unless it was new stuff that was an outright gift from Charles). Heirloom jewellery is bound to be protected by some sort of legal agreement. Anyway, it seems as though some of the pieces are shared among the royal ladies, so I assume William's wife will be able to wear some of the pieces that Camilla also wears.

Hi, Elspeth. I'm wondering too if the Rundell tiara / Queen Alexandra's wedding tiara still exists. Wouldn't it be a bit inappropriate for Camilla since her ancestor, Alice Keppel, was the lover of Edward VII? Or am I just being too careful thinking about what is proper and what is not?

I'm sure Camilla will get jewelry from the royal family, but maybe the items worn by Queen Mother aren't the best choices either.

I think we are forgetting there is a veritable treasure-trove of jewellery in the vaults below Buckingham Palace/Windsor Castle that hasn't seen the light of day for generations.

Maybe Charles will avoid jewels that have strong personal connections (eg previously associated with the Queen Mother) and surprise us with some fabulous pieces we haven't seen before, or only in old black and white photos. Here's hoping!

Or how about he really bites the bullet and lets Camilla wear the Cambridge Lovers-knot tiara. That would set the cat amongst the pigeons, eh!

Or perhaps he has already privately bought something nice, just waiting for the right moment. We will see soon enough.

Can you imagine the headlines if she shows up wearing the lovers' knot tiara...

Good point about the origin of the Rundell tiara; I'd forgotten about the connection between Camilla and Alice Keppel.

Elspeth said:
Can you imagine the headlines if she shows up wearing the lovers' knot tiara...

Lord, I know I'd have a coronary. That would just be too much for the public, not to mention to William and Harry. That was their mother's tiara. I believe it was given to her by the Queen therefore would not be automatically reverted back to the crown. It's probably in the possession of Wiliam or Harry.

I am sure that the Queen has somewhere an unknow tiara she had never worn and which will be perfect for Camilla. If she hasn't, Charles will buy a new one.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
That would just be too much for the public, not to mention to William and Harry. That was their mother's tiara. I believe it was given to her by the Queen therefore would not be automatically reverted back to the crown. It's probably in the possession of Wiliam or Harry.

It was NOT Diana's tiara. She wore it.
The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara was made for Queen Mary as a copy of one that had been worn by her grandmother the Duchess of Cambridge and was given as a wedding gift to Queen Mary's aunt the Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Queen Mary wore the tiara regularly and left it to the Queen who only wore it a few times before it languished in the vaults until she passed it to Diana.

If you really think about it Diana didn't wear it as often as she wore the Spencer tiara.

I really doubt that Camilla would want this piece anymore than she would want to live in Diana's home at Kensington Palace or be married in St Pauls. She is her own person with tastes that are a lot more mature than Dianas & a lot more simple.

wymanda said:
It was NOT Diana's tiara. She wore it.
The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara was made for Queen Mary as a copy of one that had been worn by her grandmother the Duchess of Cambridge and was given as a wedding gift to Queen Mary's aunt the Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Queen Mary wore the tiara regularly and left it to the Queen who only wore it a few times before it languished in the vaults until she passed it to Diana.

Since it was a wedding present to Diana from the Queen (along with the choker from the Cambridge emerald parure), it was Diana's to at least some degree. I'm not sure about the conditions under which it was given - obviously it wasn't personal property that Diana could nip out and flog at the pawnbroker's or anything - but it was in a somewhat different category from the Queen's jewels that she just lent Diana from time to time.

I assume that both the tiara and the choker are now back in the Queen's possession; I also assume that Camilla has more sense and more sensitivity than to be seen wearing them, at least (as far as the choker's concerned) not for a long time.

I think that the reason the Lovers Knot Tiara has never been worn much is that it is quite heavy. If we really think about it Diana wore the Spencer Tiara more often and I seem to recall reading that the Queen only wore it once or twice.

I think that Camilla will prefer something much more understated like the Rose & Crescent or the Strathmore Rose Tiara.

at the end of the day, when the Queen has pass away and Charles is King, won't then Camilla get a free hand at all the crown jewels?

I hate to see her wearing all the lovely jewels as i don't think she deserve or has the rights to wear them.

A Crown for Camilla

Eliza said:
at the end of the day, when the Queen has pass away and Charles is King, won't then Camilla get a free hand at all the crown jewels?

I hate to see her wearing all the lovely jewels as i don't think she deserve or has the rights to wear them.
As Queen (or Princess Consort) of the United Kingdom Camilla will have every right to wear whatever jewels she pleases.

And to get some people even more wound up, if she is crowned Queen when Charles is crowned King in Westminster Abbey, then she will have her own CROWN made for the occasion, as previous Queen consorts have done.

We could start a new thread: "design a Crown for Queen Camilla."

Last edited:
Warren said:
And to get some people even more wound up, if she is crowned Queen when Charles is crowned King in Westminster Abbey, then she will have her own CROWN made for the occasion, as previous Queen consorts have done.

I think that WHEN Camilla is crowned Queen Charles will want her to wear his grandmother's crown.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that Camilla would be stupid enough to wear jewellery that was identifiable as Diana's anytime soon (or, more likely, any time ever). The royal jewellery collection is probably the largest of all the houses and I don't think that Camilla will have a problem finding stuff that hasn't been worn. Besides the "political" problem w/ parading around in jewellery that was worn by Diana, I have a feeling that the women's tastes are quite different.

As for when/if Charles takes the throne, I'm sure that Camilla will have access to anything she wants (or at least anything he allows her to have access to). As for her being crowned...who knows. I mean, they don't have morganatic marriages in the UK so, unless legislation is passed indicating the contrary, upon Charles accession Camilla *will* be the Queen, whether she is referred to by that title or not.

Warren said:
As Queen (or Princess Consort) of the United Kingdom Camilla will have every right to wear whatever jewels she pleases.

I don't think she'd wear anything Charles didn't want her to.

The "Royal Jewels Message Board" has just had the following suggestion posted for a redesign of Queen Mary's Loop Tiara.

I think it would be wonderful for the Duchess of Cornwall

Attachments

• Loop.jpg
    Loop.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 430
  • Loop Redesign.jpg
    Loop Redesign.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 555
Camilla should not wear anything identified with Diana. That is not appopriate in my opinion and I would think Camilla would not do anything more to invite a comparison between herself and Diana.

Wearing the Queen Mum's crown, if she ever is crowned is not appropriate either. A new one should be designed.

im sure i would agree with posts i did read all posts! because Camilla cant wores Diana's famous Cambridges tiara! because the HM Queen gaven Princess Diana for wedding gifts because Princess Diana had 2 tiara she had Spencer tiara from her grandmother's because she wores tiara for state trips and banquets also! but Diana had choker necklace also!

i would agree with posts but Camilla would used Queen Mother's tiara

Sara Boyce

Wearing the Queen Mum's crown, if she ever is crowned is not appropriate either. A new one should be designed.

I'm afraid this may be a case of damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If she doesn't wear the Queen Mother's crown, it means that a new crown will have to be designed and made, which will be expensive, and will lead to accusations of wasting money and thinking she's too good for the Queen Mother's crown; if she does wear it, she'll be accused of insulting the Queen Mother by claiming the right to wear her crown. The press will be able to spin it such that they cause a controversy whatever she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom