The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 2: Feb-Nov 2005

Now that Camilla and Charles will be getting married, I assume she'll be able to wear some of the jewellery that's in the royal family collection. However, Queen Victoria specifically left some of the jewels for use by future queens; the list includes the George IV diadem, the ruby tiara worn by the Queen Mother so often, and several other fairly well-known pieces. I wonder if Camilla's role as Princess Consort means that she won't have access to any of these once Charles becomes king.

I assume the Cambridge emerald parure isn't part of this lot; it doesn't seem as though Queen Mary added much to the jewels left to the Crown by Queen Victoria.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Royal Highness

It will be interesting to see what tiara Camilla will wear at her first official formal event once they are married.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, I am wondering as well. Does this mean that some of the jewellery will go to Camilla instead of William's wife?

Old 02-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle
Yes, I am wondering as well. Does this mean that some of the jewellery will go to Camilla instead of William's wife?
Good question, Danielle! I don't absolutely know the answer to your question but my bet is that there are already pieces set aside for whomever William marries and that these pieces were chosen long before Charles' engagement to Camilla. I also can't see Camilla begrudging a future daugher-in-law/s the chance to wear certain family pieces... But, as Princess consort she will outrank William's wife, correct? So, it wouldn't surprise me to see her wearing a wider selection of jewels from the royal collection.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Nobility

I hope Charles is smart enough to know that many people won't ever accept Camilla. So I don't think Camilla will wear any grand items from the royal family collection at the wedding. But in time, I think Camilla may wear some of them. I think the wives of William and Harry will wear Di's jewels and the wife of William will wear the fairly well-known pieces.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Serene Highness

Some of the tiara's that could be available to Camilla

Four Ideas

1. Queen Mum's Boucheron Tiara

2. Delhi Durbar Tiara

3. Queen Mary's Loop Tiara

4. Teck Rose & Cresent Tiara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HCombTiara.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	92488   Click image for larger version

Name:	hDURBAH.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	92489   Click image for larger version

Name:	HLoop.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	92490   Click image for larger version

Name:	hTECK.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	92491  

Old 02-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Royal Highness

I personally like the Teck Rose & Cresent Tiara. I think it would suit her well.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Courtier

I think that he should have a Tiara made for her, or possibly use one from the "personal collection" of the Queen.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Since the Delhi Durbar tiara was made for something approaching a coronation - King George had a crown made for the same evet - I doubt that it would be suitable for a consort who wasn't going to be Queen. I also somewhat doubt the wisdom of having her wear something so closely associated with the Queen Mother.

I wonder if the Rundell tiara still exists.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
I personally like the Teck Rose & Cresent Tiara. I think it would suit her well.
Yes, I think it would suit her too. I really love the Delhi Durbar Tiara. Very pretty.

Sure, she announced her 'blessings' in regard to the marriage, but I don't think the Queen would allow Camilla to borrow/keep a tiara from her own 'personal collection'.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle
I am 100% sure that Charles' will/pre nup says the jewels stay in his family, not hers.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbette
I am 100% sure that Charles' will/pre nup says the jewels stay in his family, not hers.
That's Bubbette. I'm glad that it's stipulated that the jewels should be kept directly within the family. It would be very sad if it wasn’t.

Old 02-11-2005, 04:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Some of the jewellery will probably go to Camilla rather than William's wife; it'd look a bit odd if the wife of the Prince of Wales and King wasn't able to wear anything from the royal collection. However, that jewellery would be for her use, not her personal property (unless it was new stuff that was an outright gift from Charles). Heirloom jewellery is bound to be protected by some sort of legal agreement. Anyway, it seems as though some of the pieces are shared among the royal ladies, so I assume William's wife will be able to wear some of the pieces that Camilla also wears.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:35 AM
Gentry

Hi, Elspeth. I'm wondering too if the Rundell tiara / Queen Alexandra's wedding tiara still exists. Wouldn't it be a bit inappropriate for Camilla since her ancestor, Alice Keppel, was the lover of Edward VII? Or am I just being too careful thinking about what is proper and what is not?

I'm sure Camilla will get jewelry from the royal family, but maybe the items worn by Queen Mother aren't the best choices either.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Administrator

I think we are forgetting there is a veritable treasure-trove of jewellery in the vaults below Buckingham Palace/Windsor Castle that hasn't seen the light of day for generations.

Maybe Charles will avoid jewels that have strong personal connections (eg previously associated with the Queen Mother) and surprise us with some fabulous pieces we haven't seen before, or only in old black and white photos. Here's hoping!

Or how about he really bites the bullet and lets Camilla wear the Cambridge Lovers-knot tiara. That would set the cat amongst the pigeons, eh!

Or perhaps he has already privately bought something nice, just waiting for the right moment. We will see soon enough.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Can you imagine the headlines if she shows up wearing the lovers' knot tiara...

Good point about the origin of the Rundell tiara; I'd forgotten about the connection between Camilla and Alice Keppel.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Can you imagine the headlines if she shows up wearing the lovers' knot tiara...
Lord, I know I'd have a coronary. That would just be too much for the public, not to mention to William and Harry. That was their mother's tiara. I believe it was given to her by the Queen therefore would not be automatically reverted back to the crown. It's probably in the possession of Wiliam or Harry.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Courtier

I am sure that the Queen has somewhere an unknow tiara she had never worn and which will be perfect for Camilla. If she hasn't, Charles will buy a new one.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
That would just be too much for the public, not to mention to William and Harry. That was their mother's tiara. I believe it was given to her by the Queen therefore would not be automatically reverted back to the crown. It's probably in the possession of Wiliam or Harry.
It was NOT Diana's tiara. She wore it.
The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara was made for Queen Mary as a copy of one that had been worn by her grandmother the Duchess of Cambridge and was given as a wedding gift to Queen Mary's aunt the Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Queen Mary wore the tiara regularly and left it to the Queen who only wore it a few times before it languished in the vaults until she passed it to Diana.

If you really think about it Diana didn't wear it as often as she wore the Spencer tiara.

I really doubt that Camilla would want this piece anymore than she would want to live in Diana's home at Kensington Palace or be married in St Pauls. She is her own person with tastes that are a lot more mature than Dianas & a lot more simple.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
It was NOT Diana's tiara. She wore it.
The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara was made for Queen Mary as a copy of one that had been worn by her grandmother the Duchess of Cambridge and was given as a wedding gift to Queen Mary's aunt the Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Queen Mary wore the tiara regularly and left it to the Queen who only wore it a few times before it languished in the vaults until she passed it to Diana.
Since it was a wedding present to Diana from the Queen (along with the choker from the Cambridge emerald parure), it was Diana's to at least some degree. I'm not sure about the conditions under which it was given - obviously it wasn't personal property that Diana could nip out and flog at the pawnbroker's or anything - but it was in a somewhat different category from the Queen's jewels that she just lent Diana from time to time.

I assume that both the tiara and the choker are now back in the Queen's possession; I also assume that Camilla has more sense and more sensitivity than to be seen wearing them, at least (as far as the choker's concerned) not for a long time.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery