Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 2: Feb-Nov 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elspeth said:
I'm still hoping the Rundell tiara will make a reappearance. They didn't break it up to make other stuff with, did they?

Do you have a picture of it Elspeth? I did a Google search and came up with a totally unBritish tiara.

I also took a look on Danjel's site but isn't working for me either. All the pics have been x'ed out.

I would like to see someone wear the Teck Rose & Crescent tiara soon. If not Camilla, then maybe a York girl or one of the future wives of William and Harry.

SweetHomeNC said:
I would like to see someone wear the Teck Rose & Crescent tiara soon. If not Camilla, then maybe a York girl or one of the future wives of William and Harry.

IF William does marry Kate, she would look very good in that tiara!

Here are one camilla's photo with a royal jewel from the royal collection. (the photo the camilla is before her marriage)
Source: my own colection

diana-camillacollar.jpg

Last edited:
ysbel said:
Do you have a picture of it Elspeth? I did a Google search and came up with a totally unBritish tiara.

I also took a look on Danjel's site but isn't working for me either. All the pics have been x'ed out.

I had a google before I posted, but the only place I could find it was on Danjel's site and another royal jewels site which isn't working. Does anyone know why Danjel's site is just giving red x's these days?

Is that really the same necklace? The pendent part doesn't look the same to me. Diana's was more slanted while Camilla's seems to be symmetrical and roundish.

Definitely the earrings are different..the necklace looks slightly similar but who knows. Either way..I don't think Charles would have given Camilla something that Diana has worn. Thats a disservice to both women. Most likely he would (if it is a gift from Charles and not the Queen/Crown) would save the jewels for his sons.

Is the same necklace, diana's photo is in different angle.

Could the necklace belong to the Queen and was loaned to both of them?

I don't know, but the camilla's photo are before her marriage with charles.

If the necklace belongs to the Queen that is one thing. Although I might admit (in my opinion) its a little tacky. I have to tell you..I wouldn't want to wear the same jewlery (as fabulous as it is) that my husbands ex-wife wore. Not a slight to Camilla..I just think its weird.

Zonk1189 said:
If the necklace belongs to the Queen that is one thing. Although I might admit (in my opinion) its a little tacky. I have to tell you..I wouldn't want to wear the same jewlery (as fabulous as it is) that my husbands ex-wife wore. Not a slight to Camilla..I just think its weird.

Zonk,

I agree with you. It would be strange to wear the same jewels as the dead ex-wife.

is true, but remenber that camilla sleep in the same bed than diana in highgrove when both are marriage (charles-diana)-(camilla-andrew)
Is a very hard situation, I never would use a ring of the died grandmother of my husband, but camilla uses the ring of the queen mother. are very different opinions and all is respectable. But the necklace is from the royal collecion, diana used it after her engagement.

My cousin gave our grandmother's engagement ring to his fiancee. We all thought it was a wonderful gesture.

I wouldn't want to wear a necklace that belonged exclusively to my husband's ex-wife but if the necklace has been in the family and worn by others, that would be different.

Right now, I have to admit, I'm more interested in the tiara Camilla is going to wear to the Norwegian event than anything she wore before she married Charles.

This was early in Charles & Diana's marriage & I've often wondered if Camilla loaned it too her in some sort of friendly gesture??????

Re:

Why shouldn't Camilla wear the jewels she likes? Just because Diana wore them once doesn't mean they should be preserved in aspic and adored from a-far until the end of time. When she's Queen she can wear what she likes anyway :)

I really don't think that is the same necklace. Diana's necklace has slant to it that Camilla's doesn't. I don't think the angle of the photo would change that.

Royal Jewels Demise

Elspeth said:
Does anyone know why Danjel's site is just giving red x's these days?
My understanding is that legal action was threatened over the photo copyright issue (Danjel made a brief statement on GREMB or RJOTWMB a couple of months ago). The other Royal Jewels site met the same fate (from the same source).

W

Thanks Warren,

Its a pity about Danjel's site.

So is the Rundell tiara the only one we haven't seen in awhile? How far back do the Royal Jewels go?

I know some necklaces in the Danish Royal House date from the 1700s and the jewels in them go back farther than that. Do most of the British royal jewels date from Victoria through later reigns or are there some really old pieces that Camilla can wear?

I like the idea of her bringing out something we haven't seen in ages (maybe centuries)

ysbel said:
Thanks Warren,
Its a pity about Danjel's site.
So is the Rundell tiara the only one we haven't seen in awhile? How far back do the Royal Jewels go?

I know some necklaces in the Danish Royal House date from the 1700s and the jewels in them go back farther than that. Do most of the British royal jewels date from Victoria through later reigns or are there some really old pieces that Camilla can wear?

I like the idea of her bringing out something we haven't seen in ages (maybe centuries)
Queen Victoria was forced by the Courts to return a lot of the Hanover jewels to the new King in Hanover. Most of the present day jewels come via Victoria, Alexandra, and for the really serious ones, Queen Mary.

Warren said:
Queen Victoria was forced by the Courts to return a lot of the Hanover jewels to the new King in Hanover.

Warren, you are a veritable cornucopia of tiara and jewel knowledge! Thanks a bunch! Your tiara fetish is showing again! :p

Oh damn, though, you mean Ernst August has these jewels!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I mean Princess Caroline is beautiful and all that but what a buffoon to have possession of all these priceless heirlooms!

Hanover Jewels

ysbel said:
Warren, you are a veritable cornucopia of tiara and jewel knowledge! Thanks a bunch! Your tiara fetish is showing again! :p
Oh damn, though, you mean Ernst August has these jewels!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I mean Princess Caroline is beautiful and all that but what a buffoon to have possession of all these priceless heirlooms!
Thank you Ysbel. I am out and proud with my tiara 'fetish' (although I would prefer it described as "an interest").

The "Hanover Wedding Crown" which is a very small diamond full crown is still in the possession of Queen Elizabeth. It was loaned to the Hanover Family in 1981 for the wedding of Princess Alexandra (sister of Ernest August) to Prince Andreas zu Leiningen.

There is also a bit of scandal about some family jewels. Princess Viktoria Luise (the Kaiser's daughter and the current Ernst August's grandmother) was often in dispute with her children. She left some serious jewels not to her first son, EA snr, but to another. Another bitter family fight broke out. Soon after there was a mysterious and unsolved burglary, and the jewels disappeared (this is the rough gist, I cannot locate my source at the moment - annoying).

But otherwise, yes, His Royal Highness Ernst August (V), Prince of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Head of the Royal House of Hanover and de juré King of Hanover, is the current owner of most of the serious Hanoverian jewels, although they are rarely seen in public. And you will note that "buffoon" does not appear in any of his titles. Thank you.

:) W

Warren said:
Thank you Ysbel. I am out and proud with my tiara 'fetish' (although I would prefer it described as "an interest").

The "Hanover Wedding Crown" which is a very small diamond full crown is still in the possession of Queen Elizabeth. It was loaned to the Hanover Family in 1981 for the wedding of Princess Alexandra (sister of Ernest August) to Prince Andreas zu Leiningen.

There is also a bit of scandal about some family jewels. Princess Viktoria Luise (the Kaiser's daughter and the current Ernst August's grandmother) was often in dispute with her children. She left some serious jewels not to her first son, EA snr, but to another. Another bitter family fight broke out. Soon after there was a mysterious and unsolved burglary, and the jewels disappeared (this is the rough gist, I cannot locate my source at the moment - annoying).

But otherwise, yes, His Royal Highness Ernst August (V), Prince of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Head of the Royal House of Hanover and de juré King of Hanover, is the current owner of most of the serious Hanoverian jewels, although they are rarely seen in public. And you will note that "buffoon" does not appear in any of his titles. Thank you.

:) W

Oh my, oh my! :eek: Well Ernst inherited the 'His Royal Highness Ernst August (V), Prince of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Head of the Royal House of Hanover and de juré King of Hanover' but he earned the title 'King of Buffoons' all by himself. :p

ysbel said:
Oh my, oh my! :eek: Well Ernst inherited the 'His Royal Highness Ernst August (V), Prince of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Head of the Royal House of Hanover and de juré King of Hanover' but he earned the title 'King of Buffoons' all by himself. :p
I provide two little interesting Hanover Jewels anecdotes, and you respond with a reference to His Royal Highness in most disparaging terms. 'Sniff.

Warren said:
I provide two little interesting Hanover Jewels anecdotes, and you respond with a reference to His Royal Highness in most disparaging terms. 'Sniff.

OK, well, I admit, I'm dying to see a pic of the "Hanover Wedding Crown". Got any around? :)

Warren said:

Thank you Warren. So, the tiara Caroline wore to Frederik and Mary's wedding, is that from the Hanover jewel collection?

yes it is. i've seen pictures of Ernst's mother wearing it.

Warren said:

According to Leslie Fields, Queen Charlotte's diamond wedding crown was part of the parcel of jewels turned over to the Hanovers in settlement of the "Diamond Question" that so angered Queen Victoria. Is this a different crown than Charlotte's?

Prince Ernst-August V actually only has a few key pieces left from the original collection of family jewels. The rest were sold or broken up after World War II because the family needed the money.

SweetHomeNC said:
Is that really the same necklace? The pendent part doesn't look the same to me. Diana's was more slanted while Camilla's seems to be symmetrical and roundish.

It most certainly is not the same necklace. This is just tabloid nonsense. Diana retained all of the jewels acquired during her marriage as part of her divorce settlement. After her death, the pieces that belonged to Queen Mary (the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald Art Deco Choker) were returned to the Queen, while the rest of Diana's jewelry was stored for William and Harry's future wives.

All of Camilla's jewelry is new or bought at auction by Prince Charles for her. The rest of her pieces are her own family's heirlooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom