The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla definately will need a large tiara to work with her hairstyle. It's very possible she will be wearing the Queen Mother's diamond honeycomb Boucheron tiara, which would work well for her.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Camilla definately will need a large tiara to work with her hairstyle. It's very possible she will be wearing the Queen Mother's diamond honeycomb Boucheron tiara, which would work well for her.
Do you have a picture of it branchg? I'd love to see it.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Do you have a picture of it branchg? I'd love to see it.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=92488
Old 10-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Courtier

Yes, I see what you mean about the diamond honeycomb suiting the Duchess. Out of the larger pieces, I think it to be the only one that shall really compliment her. I think a slight change to her hair would help when it comes to such a large tiara.

"MII"
Old 10-13-2005, 07:59 AM

Re:

I think she'll look fab in that tiara. Maybe she should go for a Queen Anne-Marie hair-do? I think it would suit her.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Yes, I see what you mean about the diamond honeycomb suiting the Duchess. Out of the larger pieces, I think it to be the only one that shall really compliment her. I think a slight change to her hair would help when it comes to such a large tiara."MII"
It might work! Of course, this assumes the Queen hasn't decided to keep it for her own use. After all, it was her mother's favorite tiara.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I think she'll look fab in that tiara.
Can I be the first to post "But what would the Queen Mother think?"
Old 10-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Can I be the first to post "But what would the Queen Mother think?"
I doubt we need any further explanation for that question Warren

Somehow, I dont think there would be enough room for her to turn in the royal volt

"MII"
Old 10-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It might work! Of course, this assumes the Queen hasn't decided to keep it for her own use. After all, it was her mother's favorite tiara.
Good point branchg! But, I think that if Her Majesty were going to wear it she would have by now. I do remember reading something (I shall go back through my 'collectables' to find exactly where), that stated how the Queen and Princess Margaret thought the honeycomb tiara a most hideous creation.

I do feel that the late Queen Mother would probably be the only lady (respectively) who could really 'pull it off', so to speak.

But we shall wait and see.

"MII"
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 AM

Re;

"But what would the Queen Mother think?"

Well Camilla's got one of her rings, why not use her tiara as well. With all due respect and love to the Queen Mother, I doubt she'll be using the tiara much herself.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the more important issue is what people will think, seeing Camilla in one of the Queen Mother's most recognisable pieces of jewellery. As already pointed out, the Queen Mother isn't in the greatest position to make her feelings known at the moment.

Since public opinion does seem to be warming to Camilla, it isn't beyond the realms of the possible that she'd end up with that tiara. It would be less provocative than giving her the Queen Mother's other one, which was specifically reserved for the use of future queens.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:12 PM

Re:

Quote:
It would be less provocative than giving her the Queen Mother's other one, which was specifically reserved for the use of future queens.
IMHO, it's only we clued up watchers who will know its the Queen Mother's tiara. Joe Bloggs on the building site won't have a clue - it'll be Camilla in her first tiara - and don't all members of the RF wear tiaras all the time?

I think it's not going to be an issue. They are married, she'll be our Queen, she's wearing the tiara of her grandmother-in-law....whats the problem?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan

IMHO, it's only we clued up watchers who will know its the Queen Mother's tiara. Joe Bloggs on the building site won't have a clue - it'll be Camilla in her first tiara - and don't all members of the RF wear tiaras all the time?
Of course it's only the people interested in it who will notice - at first. Then the media will latch on to it, and depending on what angle they choose to play - they can sway the man in the street.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I think the more important issue is what people will think, seeing Camilla in one of the Queen Mother's most recognisable pieces of jewellery. As already pointed out, the Queen Mother isn't in the greatest position to make her feelings known at the moment.

Since public opinion does seem to be warming to Camilla, it isn't beyond the realms of the possible that she'd end up with that tiara. It would be less provocative than giving her the Queen Mother's other one, which was specifically reserved for the use of future queens.
I agree! I'm sure the press will make sure to remind everyone of the tiara's original owner, but given the increasing acceptance, if not admiration, by the public of Camilla's performance as a royal, it probably won't be a big deal.

Also, the Boucheron tiara was a personal gift to the Queen Mother from her dear friend, Lady Greville, in the late 1930's. If the Queen was comfortable giving Camilla a diamond ring from her mother's collection (an anniversary gift from George VI), it seems to me the tiara shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
I do remember reading something (I shall go back through my 'collectables' to find exactly where), that stated how the Queen and Princess Margaret thought the honeycomb tiara a most hideous creation."MII"
That's interesting! Personally, I think it is a very nice, modern design and looked very good on the Queen Mother. Obviously, she liked it too since she wore it constantly.

The Indian Ruby tiara the Queen Mother wore (although not as frequently) belonged to Queen Victoria, who left it to the Crown as reserved for future Queens when she died. Originally, it was set with opals, not rubies, but Queen Alexandra believed opals bring you bad luck and had it reset. The Queen Mother often wore it with her fabulous ruby parure (necklace, earrings, bracelet and brooch) which was created for Queen Alexandra.

I think the Indian tiara was pretty ugly, so we probably won't see it for awhile.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
That's interesting! Personally, I think it is a very nice, modern design and looked very good on the Queen Mother. Obviously, she liked it too since she wore it constantly.

The Indian Ruby tiara the Queen Mother wore (although not as frequently) belonged to Queen Victoria, who left it to the Crown as reserved for future Queens when she died. Originally, it was set with opals, not rubies, but Queen Alexandra believed opals bring you bad luck and had it reset. The Queen Mother often wore it with her fabulous ruby parure (necklace, earrings, bracelet and brooch) which was created for Queen Alexandra.

I think the Indian tiara was pretty ugly, so we probably won't see it for awhile.
Personally I love the Indian Tiara.
Doesn't Camilla have a suite of opal jewellery?? Maybe the opals will be restored for Camilla.
As we discussed earlier in this thread QV set aside the jewels "for all future Queens", she would never have envisaged that the wife of a king would not take the title of Queen so perhaps a more moden reading would be "for all future consorts"
Old 10-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, it remains to be seen whether we have a future Queen here or not! Peronally I think we do, as long as Charles becomes King.

Of course, there's a certain ambiguity in the phrase "future Queens" because it could be interpreted as "wives of kings in the future and Queens Regnant once they succeed to the throne" (in other words, that they shouldn't be wearing these jewels until they become Queen) or as "wives of heirs to the throne and female heirs presumptive" (in other words, princesses who were next in line to be Queen Consort or Queen Regnant). It sort of depends on whether "future" was meant from the perspective of Victoria or of the princesses themselves.

I think it really unlikely that the George IV diadem would ever be worn by a Queen-in-waiting (unless she was a regent or maybe the wife of one), but some of the other jewels in this category do seem to be less "official."
Old 10-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Royal Highness

I thought, and correct me please if I am wrong, that only a queen on the throne would wear the diadem.

Did Queen Mary or the Queen Mother wear it to the opening of Parliament?

With Camilla's layered and feathered hairstyle, I think if she pulled her back like Princess Michael does sometimes or Princess Victoria, but, with some bangs like Diana, she would be able to pull off the tiara.

There is a picture taken with her and her mother at her coming out party where her hair is styled like that and a tiara would fit right in.

If she left her hair styled exactly as it is now and then only added a tiara, it would not look right because her hair is kind of poofy and big already due to the layers and feathering...in a good way. :)
Old 10-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

The George IV Diadem was part of the schedule of jewels Queen Victoria designated in her will as belonging to the Crown. It was designed for His Majesty's coronation, but he changed his mind and never wore it. A man could wear it, although it's highly unlikely.

Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary occasionally wore it on formal occasions, but both queens wore their own circlets or crowns at the State Opening of Parliament. The Queen Mother wore it for the first State Opening of George VI's reign, but never wore it again after that.

Of course, Her Majesty has worn it to every State Opening of her reign, before changing to the Imperial State Crown for the procession.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

As The Norwegian Royals are visiting The United Kingdom and The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall surely will attend.It'd be great to see The Duchess in a tiara but we all not know how is the relationship between The Queen and The Duchess of Cornwall, it might be seem The Queen accepted The Duchess or not, we dont know.But if Her Majesty doesn't want to share a Tiara from one of her lovely Collections to The Duchess, i ahve just think of cause The Prince of Wales has given several brooches to the Duchess as well, so i just got a thought that if a new modern Tiara come to Royals as The prince of Wales may design to give The Duchess a Tiara?

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery