Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 2: Feb-Nov 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the more important issue is what people will think, seeing Camilla in one of the Queen Mother's most recognisable pieces of jewellery. As already pointed out, the Queen Mother isn't in the greatest position to make her feelings known at the moment.

Since public opinion does seem to be warming to Camilla, it isn't beyond the realms of the possible that she'd end up with that tiara. It would be less provocative than giving her the Queen Mother's other one, which was specifically reserved for the use of future queens.

Re:

It would be less provocative than giving her the Queen Mother's other one, which was specifically reserved for the use of future queens.
IMHO, it's only we clued up watchers who will know its the Queen Mother's tiara. Joe Bloggs on the building site won't have a clue - it'll be Camilla in her first tiara - and don't all members of the RF wear tiaras all the time? ;)

I think it's not going to be an issue. They are married, she'll be our Queen, she's wearing the tiara of her grandmother-in-law....whats the problem? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
BeatrixFan said:
IMHO, it's only we clued up watchers who will know its the Queen Mother's tiara. Joe Bloggs on the building site won't have a clue - it'll be Camilla in her first tiara - and don't all members of the RF wear tiaras all the time? ;)
Of course it's only the people interested in it who will notice - at first. Then the media will latch on to it, and depending on what angle they choose to play - they can sway the man in the street.

Elspeth said:
I think the more important issue is what people will think, seeing Camilla in one of the Queen Mother's most recognisable pieces of jewellery. As already pointed out, the Queen Mother isn't in the greatest position to make her feelings known at the moment.

Since public opinion does seem to be warming to Camilla, it isn't beyond the realms of the possible that she'd end up with that tiara. It would be less provocative than giving her the Queen Mother's other one, which was specifically reserved for the use of future queens.

I agree! I'm sure the press will make sure to remind everyone of the tiara's original owner, but given the increasing acceptance, if not admiration, by the public of Camilla's performance as a royal, it probably won't be a big deal.

Also, the Boucheron tiara was a personal gift to the Queen Mother from her dear friend, Lady Greville, in the late 1930's. If the Queen was comfortable giving Camilla a diamond ring from her mother's collection (an anniversary gift from George VI), it seems to me the tiara shouldn't be an issue.

Margrethe II said:
I do remember reading something (I shall go back through my 'collectables' to find exactly where), that stated how the Queen and Princess Margaret thought the honeycomb tiara a most hideous creation."MII"

That's interesting! Personally, I think it is a very nice, modern design and looked very good on the Queen Mother. Obviously, she liked it too since she wore it constantly.

The Indian Ruby tiara the Queen Mother wore (although not as frequently) belonged to Queen Victoria, who left it to the Crown as reserved for future Queens when she died. Originally, it was set with opals, not rubies, but Queen Alexandra believed opals bring you bad luck and had it reset. The Queen Mother often wore it with her fabulous ruby parure (necklace, earrings, bracelet and brooch) which was created for Queen Alexandra.

I think the Indian tiara was pretty ugly, so we probably won't see it for awhile.

branchg said:
That's interesting! Personally, I think it is a very nice, modern design and looked very good on the Queen Mother. Obviously, she liked it too since she wore it constantly.

The Indian Ruby tiara the Queen Mother wore (although not as frequently) belonged to Queen Victoria, who left it to the Crown as reserved for future Queens when she died. Originally, it was set with opals, not rubies, but Queen Alexandra believed opals bring you bad luck and had it reset. The Queen Mother often wore it with her fabulous ruby parure (necklace, earrings, bracelet and brooch) which was created for Queen Alexandra.

I think the Indian tiara was pretty ugly, so we probably won't see it for awhile.

Personally I love the Indian Tiara.
Doesn't Camilla have a suite of opal jewellery?? Maybe the opals will be restored for Camilla.
As we discussed earlier in this thread QV set aside the jewels "for all future Queens", she would never have envisaged that the wife of a king would not take the title of Queen so perhaps a more moden reading would be "for all future consorts"

Well, it remains to be seen whether we have a future Queen here or not! Peronally I think we do, as long as Charles becomes King.

Of course, there's a certain ambiguity in the phrase "future Queens" because it could be interpreted as "wives of kings in the future and Queens Regnant once they succeed to the throne" (in other words, that they shouldn't be wearing these jewels until they become Queen) or as "wives of heirs to the throne and female heirs presumptive" (in other words, princesses who were next in line to be Queen Consort or Queen Regnant). It sort of depends on whether "future" was meant from the perspective of Victoria or of the princesses themselves.

I think it really unlikely that the George IV diadem would ever be worn by a Queen-in-waiting (unless she was a regent or maybe the wife of one), but some of the other jewels in this category do seem to be less "official."

I thought, and correct me please if I am wrong, that only a queen on the throne would wear the diadem.

Did Queen Mary or the Queen Mother wear it to the opening of Parliament?

With Camilla's layered and feathered hairstyle, I think if she pulled her back like Princess Michael does sometimes or Princess Victoria, but, with some bangs like Diana, she would be able to pull off the tiara.

There is a picture taken with her and her mother at her coming out party where her hair is styled like that and a tiara would fit right in.

If she left her hair styled exactly as it is now and then only added a tiara, it would not look right because her hair is kind of poofy and big already due to the layers and feathering...in a good way. :)

The George IV Diadem was part of the schedule of jewels Queen Victoria designated in her will as belonging to the Crown. It was designed for His Majesty's coronation, but he changed his mind and never wore it. A man could wear it, although it's highly unlikely.

Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary occasionally wore it on formal occasions, but both queens wore their own circlets or crowns at the State Opening of Parliament. The Queen Mother wore it for the first State Opening of George VI's reign, but never wore it again after that.

Of course, Her Majesty has worn it to every State Opening of her reign, before changing to the Imperial State Crown for the procession.

As The Norwegian Royals are visiting The United Kingdom and The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall surely will attend.It'd be great to see The Duchess in a tiara but we all not know how is the relationship between The Queen and The Duchess of Cornwall, it might be seem The Queen accepted The Duchess or not, we dont know.But if Her Majesty doesn't want to share a Tiara from one of her lovely Collections to The Duchess, i ahve just think of cause The Prince of Wales has given several brooches to the Duchess as well, so i just got a thought that if a new modern Tiara come to Royals as The prince of Wales may design to give The Duchess a Tiara?

So what are the candidates for Camilla's first tiara?

ysbel said:
So what are the candidates for Camilla's first tiara?

1. Rundell
  2. Diamond Scroll
  3. Boucheron Honeycombe
  4. Surrey Fringe
  5. Marie Feodorovna "V"
  6. Teck Rose & Crescent
  7. Something New
Can we have a Poll please????????????????

My guess would be that Camilla will be wearing a significant tiara befitting her role as the consort to the PofW. The queen would not do anything that would reflect negatively on the royal "firm" and will therefore make sure Camilla is presented as the important person she is. It is from now on irrelevant what anyone thinks of Camilla. She is the women Charles married and as such she is second only to QEII in the royal family. Besides I doubt Charles would let anyone or anything diminish the role of his wife.
grevinnan

Firstly, Camilla is not second, she is 4th, behind The Queen, The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra. Secondly, I highly doubt The Queen will 'lend' Camilla anything. My guess is Charles has bought her something simple and elegant to reflect her unique position.

grevinnan said:
My guess would be that Camilla will be wearing a significant tiara befitting her role as the consort to the PofW. The queen would not do anything that would reflect negatively on the royal "firm" and will therefore make sure Camilla is presented as the important person she is. It is from now on irrelevant what anyone thinks of Camilla. She is the women Charles married and as such she is second only to QEII in the royal family. Besides I doubt Charles would let anyone or anything diminish the role of his wife.
grevinnan

Last edited:
zeap said:
Firstly, Camilla is not second, she is 4th, behind The Queen, The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra. Secondly, I highly doubt The Queen will 'lend' Camilla anything. My guess is Charles has bought her something simple and elegant to reflect her unique position.
Without getting into another Order of Precedence debate, for the Official Order of Precendence Camilla, as the wife of the Prince of Wales, ranks straight after The Queen among females. In the Court Order of Precedence (ie HM's personal rankings) Camilla is indeed 4th.

My theory is Charles would have presented Camilla with a tiara on the day of their wedding.

wymanda said:
  1. Rundell
  2. Diamond Scroll
  3. Boucheron Honeycombe
  4. Surrey Fringe
  5. Marie Feodorovna "V"
  6. Teck Rose & Crescent
  7. Something New
Can we have a Poll please????????????????

Forget about a poll, can we have pics? :p

branchg said:
I think Camilla probably will wear a new tiara.

Hi branchg, I'm aware of the practice of buying a new tiara for a new royal but quite frankly it seems a bit couterproductive with all the criticism the BRF has gotten lately on being too extravagant. The BRF must have a lot of tiaras in its possession, this looks like a great opportunity to be a little cost conscious and pull something out that they already have.

With its vast collection the BRF hardly needs any new tiaras.

ysbel said:
Oh! No! One can never have too many tiaras!
Why insult Camilla with some dusty, unwanted, unworn and forgotten cast off? No, something new and magnificant would be much better. :)

Warren said:
Oh! No! One can never have too many tiaras!
Why insult Camilla with some dusty, unwanted, unworn and forgotten cast off? No, something new and magnificant would be much better. :)

But then the rest of us never get to see these magnificent tiaras collecting dust! I mean if the royals are going to recycle clothes you'd at least think they'd want to recycle tiaras that cost a whole lot more! :)

Re:

Of the three, the Queen Mary's Loop is my favorite but I think the Teck Rose & Crescent will look better on her.

I agree. I think that HRH deserves a new tiara - to signify a new beginning. But she'd look lovely in the Teck Rose and Crescent tiara. Only a few days to go before we'll see her in all her glitter! We'll also see any decorations she's been given.

A new Tiara would be nice. One that would be a signature Tiara for Camilla. But, I really would love to see the Teck Crescent tiara on her. That is a lovely tiara.

I'm amazed at how many of us think the Teck Crescent tiara would be the best for Camilla. We all have good taste!

if the royal family were to buy a new tiara for the Duchess we would, most likely, never know. Since we have no idea how vast the collection truly is they can always report it as a family heirloom or just leave it ambiguous

ysbel said:
Hi branchg, I'm aware of the practice of buying a new tiara for a new royal but quite frankly it seems a bit couterproductive with all the criticism the BRF has gotten lately on being too extravagant. The BRF must have a lot of tiaras in its possession, this looks like a great opportunity to be a little cost conscious and pull something out that they already have.

Yes, but they could certainly dismantle some of the old tiaras in storage that are out-of-style and use the diamonds in a newly designed frame for Camilla. This has been done before.

ysbel said:
I'm amazed at how many of us think the Teck Crescent tiara would be the best for Camilla. We all have good taste!

I guess I'm in the minority! I happen to think the Tech Crescent tiara is ugly and would not look good on Camilla. I don't think she will be wearing that one.

hmm...the teck tiara is smaller though. i doubt we'll see camilla wearing a big huge tiara for some years to come if ever.

i like the teck tiara but i don't think it will suit her hairstyle.

I'm still hoping the Rundell tiara will make a reappearance. They didn't break it up to make other stuff with, did they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom