Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 2: Feb-Nov 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if anyone else agrees with this assesment:

The general public has no idea about the specific jewels of the various royal families. They expect their Royals to wear glittering jewels and crowns (when appropriate), but most people could not identify any given tiara or necklace. It is only people like us who have a Mania:D for these things who would actually notice. The press will get their information about the jewels from the Palace. So my guess is that Camilla could wear almost any tiara or crown and get away with it; the cambridge tiara would be an exception since Diana was so associated with it and the public would recognize that one. But many of the tiaras that have been discussed for Camilla have not been seen in years and most folks would not recognize them or know their histories. What do you all think?

I think you're right, Reynaud, except that if the press thinks that it can stir up a controversy based on just about anything in order to make a profit, it'll do it. People who wouldn't have known the difference between the Queen Mother's crown and the royal crown of Outer Mongolia will suddenly turn into the Keepers Of The Queen Mother's Sacred Memory if the press can manipulate them into the sort of righteous fury that sells newspapers.

Course, it may at least educate a few people about what these crowns actually are and when and why they were made.

there must be many more tiara's, and as far as I am concerned they all will do except the ones worn by diana

camilla is charles choice and that must be respected

please not a new one, I hate those.....

Elspeth said:
I think you're right, Reynaud, except that if the press thinks that it can stir up a controversy based on just about anything in order to make a profit, it'll do it. People who wouldn't have known the difference between the Queen Mother's crown and the royal crown of Outer Mongolia will suddenly turn into the Keepers Of The Queen Mother's Sacred Memory if the press can manipulate them into the sort of righteous fury that sells newspapers.

Course, it may at least educate a few people about what these crowns actually are and when and why they were made.

is it just me or does camilla look to plan to wear tiara?

I think she'll look good in a tiara. I have no ideas about the tiaras in possession of the British Royal family, but there has to be more than enough different styles of tiaras to fit every person, regardless of the way they look.

I wonder if HM will give this wonderful piece from the Australian Government to Camilla????

Attachments

• Oz Opals.gif
    Oz Opals.gif
    31.4 KB · Views: 3,759
It actually isn't a tiara. It is a necklace.

The large opal is worth a small fortune on it's own and the colour of the opals in the earings would make them quite valuable also.

I think it would look sensational against a very plain black or dark blue dress.

wymanda said:
I wonder if HM will give this wonderful piece from the Australian Government to Camilla????

Can I take a pass on that one on behalf of Camilla?

It's awful.

wymanda said:

That is one god awful necklace!! I think Her Majesty should have the piece quietly dismantled and formed into something more suitable. That Australian Triplet Opal is worth much and could be the centrepiece of a different diamond necklace. Her Majesty could wear the earrings with the large opal reset in a new necklace style. Use the diamonds from the current necklace to help make a new necklace.

I wonder if that Opal could be placed in a tiara in an east-west fashion also?

I do commend Australia for its very generous gift.

Last edited:
That opal just looks too huge. I wonder how large it really is (inches).

iowabelle said:
That opal just looks too huge. I wonder how large it really is (inches).

I can tell you it is quite valuable. Australian Opals are among the finest in the world and do not come out of the ground that large and perfect many times. It is difficult to get a stone that will fill a small ring, let alone that!!

What about putting it in in tiara though?? Not North-South like it is displayed, but on it's side?? It might work.

tiaraprin said:
I can tell you it is quite valuable. Australian Opals are among the finest in the world and do not come out of the ground that large and perfect many times. It is difficult to get a stone that will fill a small ring, let alone that!!

What about putting it in in tiara though?? Not North-South like it is displayed, but on it's side?? It might work.

I would never advocate cutting it up because of its size and beauty. I don't know for sure, but I don't think opals can be cut like diamonds.

But it seems like you'd almost have to mount it on a box to make a tiara out of it. I just can't visualize what you'd have to do with it.

iowabelle said:
I would never advocate cutting it up because of its size and beauty. I don't know for sure, but I don't think opals can be cut like diamonds.

But it seems like you'd almost have to mount it on a box to make a tiara out of it. I just can't visualize what you'd have to do with it.

The one thing about opals is that they weigh less than your average gemstone. They are also more prone to crack and break.

I would suggest in the mounting of my proposed tiara that the mounting at the back be sterling silver, which is stronger and no one is going to see it. The Imperial State Crown has jewels mounted in silver on it. (If they really want to spend money on the mounting, mount it in platinum). It could be mounted on its side and have some sort of diamond pattern around it creating a tiara.

I doubt the Queen would give Camilla opal jewellery; it's supposed to be unlucky for women to wear opals unless opal is their birthstone, which it isn't for Camilla. The tabloids would be screeching about how the Queen was trying to put a hex on Camilla or something.

i think this brooch would have gone well with Camilla's wedding dress.
Australian Wattle Brooch given by people of Australia
It looks straw like, like her hat so it would match:) I posted this pic on another thread but when i saw it it instantly came to me that this would match camillas wedding dress.
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/brooch/qe2/wattle2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/brooch/qe2/page-13.html&h=80&w=60&sz=6&tbnid=2JW3NL2da3kJ:&tbnh=70&tbnw=52&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DQueen%2BElizabeth%2Bwattle%2Bbrooch%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff

Last edited:
Australian said:
i think this brooch would have gone well with Camilla's wedding dress.
Australian Wattle Brooch given by people of Australia
It looks straw like, like her hat so it would match:) I posted this pic on another thread but when i saw it it instantly came to me that this would match camillas wedding dress.
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/brooch/qe2/wattle2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/brooch/qe2/page-13.html&h=80&w=60&sz=6&tbnid=2JW3NL2da3kJ:&tbnh=70&tbnw=52&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DQueen%2BElizabeth%2Bwattle%2Bbrooch%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff

I think the Queen really likes that one, she seems to wear it frequently.

I don't think there's a rule against it, but she doesn't seem to let relatives borrow items on a short-term basis (versus long-term, like when she lent Diana the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara).

Elspeth said:
I doubt the Queen would give Camilla opal jewellery; it's supposed to be unlucky for women to wear opals unless opal is their birthstone, which it isn't for Camilla. The tabloids would be screeching about how the Queen was trying to put a hex on Camilla or something.

But they are so lovely. My mother inherited a beautiful opal ring from her grandmother, but unfortunately, like mentioned, it is cracking.

No doubt the visit of the Norwegian royals will revive this discussion on what tiara 'Milla will wear.

wymanda said:
No doubt the visit of the Norwegian royals will revive this discussion on what tiara 'Milla will wear.

It's likely to be a brand-new one, perhaps using stones from the royal collection. Alternatively, Camilla could borrow a tiara from one of the other royals. The Duchess of Gloucester has at least four or Viscount Linley could lend her the Poltimore tiara for the state dinner.

branchg said:
It's likely to be a brand-new one, perhaps using stones from the royal collection. Alternatively, Camilla could borrow a tiara from one of the other royals. The Duchess of Gloucester has at least four or Viscount Linley could lend her the Poltimore tiara for the state dinner.

I doubt that Charles will spend money on a new piece when there is so much in the vaults that hasn't been worn for decades. Considering he gave Camilla an engagement ring that had belonged to his grandmother I think it much more likely that we will see something like the Strathmore Rose or the Teck Rose & Crescent. I cannot see Charles "borrowing" from his more minor relatives. :eek:

Re;

I think the Duchess should wear the Teck Rose & Cresent Tiara which I think would really suit her but then again, I agree that a tiara should be made for her. "The Duchess of Cornwall Tiara".

We'll soon find out when the Norwegians come to stay! :D

As The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will host a Gala Dinner at Buckingham Palace on the evening of 25th October i think we will see what will The Duchess wear, it would be her first time wearing a Tiara as a member of The Royal Family. And i have heard that The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will atend a Dinner on the Norwegian Royal Yatch, i think The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will come as well.

wymanda said:
I doubt that Charles will spend money on a new piece when there is so much in the vaults that hasn't been worn for decades. Considering he gave Camilla an engagement ring that had belonged to his grandmother I think it much more likely that we will see something like the Strathmore Rose or the Teck Rose & Crescent. I cannot see Charles "borrowing" from his more minor relatives. :eek:

The Strathmore Rose Tiara is too small for Camilla's big hairdo and the Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara is completely out of style and ugly. Either it will be a new one or the Queen will be bite the bullet and give her the Queen Mother's Boucheron tiara, which would look very good on Camilla.

The Boucheron tiara is not really royal since it was personal gift from Lady Greville to the Queen Mother (although it was augmented later by Cartier with additional royal diamonds). If the Queen was OK with giving Camilla a diamond ring that was a personal gift from her father to her mother on their wedding anniversary, she may be OK with giving her the Queen Mother's favorite diamond tiara.

A Tiara (or two) for Camilla

It's still my theory that Charles would have presented Camilla with a tiara as a wedding gift. Very appropriate for someone who was about to become an HRH, and keeping in the tradition of the Royal Family.

Whether this tiara is something completely new (or even an Estate piece) that Charles has bought, or a Queen Mother heirloom, or something from the vaults (perhaps remodelled), remains to be seen.

Whatever it may be, we will probably be speculating until the moment we see the first photos, after sitting in front of our computer screens impatiently waiting for a member to post the first Camilla tiara pic.

And six months down the track we will be complaining that it's about time Camilla wore something different, and that she needs at least two! There is, after all, the first wedding anniversary to be marked with a special gift, and what would be more appropriate than another glittering tiara? :)

tiara

I was wondering when camilla does wear her tiara will the palace announce whether it is old or new.? If they don't then we probably won't know.

Gee, Warren, the man hasn't let her buy many pairs of shoes, so why should we assume he's going to be generous with the tiaras? :)

iowabelle said:
Gee, Warren, the man hasn't let her buy many pairs of shoes, so why should we assume he's going to be generous with the tiaras? :)
Oops! Did I accidentally reveal my Tiara fetish? ;)

In reply to Seto, jewellery experts can tell if a piece is old or modern, and there are enough experts around to identify an old tiara. Buckingham Palace won't make an announcement as this draws attention to it, and they don't do that. When Sophie wore her new tiara to the Danish wedding celebrations various people managed to work out where it had come from. It becomes a challenge. I suspect the Palace quite enjoys playing these games.

Well, they could remodel Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar crown into a tiara and add some royal sapphires, rubies or emeralds. That might be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom