The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
I suppose it comes down to the interpretation of the clause. Queen Victoria could not have envisaged that the wife of a King of England would not be Queen. Therefore the clause could be given the modern interpretation that the jewels were "to be worn by the consorts of all future kings by right of it" rather than the literal "by all future queens by right of it".
I believe if Queen Victoria knew of the circumstances of this wedding, she would not want Camilla to wear these jewels, irrelevant of the fact of Diana-- whether you love her or hate her. Queen Victoria would never have countenanced this marriage in any way!

Old 08-10-2005, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Check the vaults!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Do we have any candidates that we could volunteer for the jeweler?
Not every tiara is attractive or a work of art; there must be plenty of "ugly" tiaras languishing in those mysterious vaults beneath Buckingham Palace. Then there are the the myriad necklaces, bracelets, brooches, stomachers etc, plus boxes of loose stones which could be used to make anything they wanted.

And of course Charles could (if he hasn't already done so) buy or commission something brand new. I wonder what jewellery he presented Camilla with on the day of their marriage? Something significant, I imagine.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Not every tiara is attractive or a work of art; there must be plenty of "ugly" tiaras languishing in those mysterious vaults beneath Buckingham Palace. Then there are the the myriad necklaces, bracelets, brooches, stomachers etc, plus boxes of loose stones which could be used to make anything they wanted.

And of course Charles could (if he hasn't already done so) buy or commission something brand new. I wonder what jewellery he presented Camilla with on the day of their marriage? Something significant, I imagine.

Oh Warren, you know Charles spares no expense where Camilla is concerned!!

It is true what you say--why don't they go down into those vaults and do something with the obsolete pieces?? Man what I would give to spend a day in the vault looking at all of that and being allowed to take just one piece with me!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Lost in the vaults

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Man what I would give to spend a day in the vault looking at all of that!
Just a day? It would probably take the best part of a week to inspect every item!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:20 AM
Royal Highness

A week would be nice too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Just a day? It would probably take the best part of a week to inspect every item!
I didn't want to appear greedy Warren!!:p :p You can always make me laugh Warren!! Thanks!!!:)
Old 08-10-2005, 05:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Oh Warren, you know Charles spares no expense where Camilla is concerned!!
Maybe not, but I find still find her stuff incredibly ugly. Especially that diamond flower necklace and that g-d awful pearl chocker with that hideous blue and gold thing in the middle. And that single string of pearls she wears looks like something out of a vending machine or chinatown.

Money simply can not buy good taste.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
Maybe not, but I find still find her stuff incredibly ugly. Especially that diamond flower necklace and that g-d awful pearl chocker with that hideous blue and gold thing in the middle. And that single string of pearls she wears looks like something out of a vending machine or chinatown.

Money simply can not buy good taste.
I thought the diamond flower and gold necklace looked pretty decent, although I don't care for the "snake style" diamond necklace Charles gave her a number of years ago. Camilla's pearls are an heirloom from her family.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Majesty

camilla has now worn a tiara for the first time
Old 10-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Nobility

Yes, she wore the Dehli Durbar tiara after all.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
Yes, she wore the Dehli Durbar tiara after all.
This diadem was created for Queen Mary for the Delhi Durbar in 1911 and had five of her mother's Cambridge emeralds on the top originally. She also had a parure created (three necklaces, a brooch and earrings) using her mother's emeralds, as well as the emeralds given to her by the Ladies of India for the Delhi Durbar in 1911. After the Durbar, Queen Mary had the emeralds removed and she wore the diadem as is. She left it to the Queen Mother after her death in 1953.

The Queen Mother wore it only once and then it disappeared. This diadem was then redesigned into a regular tiara by opening up the back and reshaping it so Camilla could wear it as such. It is clearly a gift from the Queen since this piece would have returned to her after the death of the Queen Mother.

It certainly sends the unmistakable message that Camilla will undoubtedly be Queen Consort, given the fact she has received a former crown of Queen Mary as her tiara.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Serene Highness

A clear show of HM regard for her daughter in law.

Sensational!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Commoner

the tiara isn't hers it was only loaned to her for the evening once the evening is over it goes back to the queen it wasnt given as a gift to her to keep or anything it is now back in the hands of the Queen, i also dont think its right for her to be wearing a bigger tiara then both the queens.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Royal Highness

Her Majesty let her wear Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar tiara?? Queen Mary is rolling over in her grave!!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:37 AM

Re:

Quote:
Queen Mary is rolling over in her grave!!
I'm sure she isn't, Her Late Majesty being a most polite, gracious and understanding woman. Camilla is the Princess of Wales and had to wear a tiara. Queen Mary wouldn't have had it any other way. Any more nasty jibes at Camilla based on the premise that she isn't Diana Spencer?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Her Majesty let her wear Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar tiara?? Queen Mary is rolling over in her grave!!
I hardly think so!!!!

The over dramatisation from the Diana Brigade really is tiresome. Camilla is HRH now [edited by Warren]

Personally I prefer this tiara to the Lovers Knot and I think it takes a Lady with a lot of self confidence & self worth to wear it!!!

Three Cheers for HRH, The Princess of Wales - Camilla
Old 10-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
I hardly think so!!!!

The over dramatisation from the Diana Brigade really is tiresome. Camilla is HRH now (edited by warren)
As you must learn to live with the fact that Diana is not going anywhere in the memory and hearts of many. She is also the mother of the Future King.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Nobility

How does anyone know that the queen didn't gift the tiara to Camilla? To wear as long as she lives just as she did with the Diana tiara.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raia
the tiara isn't hers it was only loaned to her for the evening once the evening is over it goes back to the queen it wasnt given as a gift to her to keep or anything it is now back in the hands of the Queen, i also dont think its right for her to be wearing a bigger tiara then both the queens.

If the Queen did not want her to wear the big tiara she wouldn't have let her use it . It would seem to have been the choice of the Queen which tiara Camilla wore.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Administrator

OK, time to settle down please.

Everyone has their views and everyone has the right to express them on these Boards. Pointed remarks, digs, triumphalism, and inappropriate language do not a civil discussion make. They just lower the tone and discourage other members from participating.

No more "tiara tantrums". We will leave that to Elton John.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums Moderator
Old 10-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raia
That's not true. The diadem hadn't been worn since 1947 and it was styled as a crown for Queen Mary's Durbar presentation as Empress of India. Obviously, it was sized and altered to fit Camilla as a tiara and is for her exclusive use.

It is a gift from the Queen to a future Consort, similar to Diana receiving the Lover's Knot Tiara before her wedding, as a symbol of their future role. Once Charles ascends the throne, the entire royal collection will be at Camilla's disposal to wear.

Obviously, no one ever expected a divorce to enter the royal picture for a Prince of Wales. Despite this development, Diana was allowed to retain Queen Mary's jewels for her lifetime use after the divorce. After her death, the tiara and emerald choker returned to the Queen.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery