Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 1: Feb 2004 - Oct 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A clear show of HM regard for her daughter in law.

Sensational!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
the tiara isn't hers it was only loaned to her for the evening once the evening is over it goes back to the queen it wasnt given as a gift to her to keep or anything it is now back in the hands of the Queen, i also dont think its right for her to be wearing a bigger tiara then both the queens.

Last edited:
Her Majesty let her wear Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar tiara?? Queen Mary is rolling over in her grave!!

Re:

Queen Mary is rolling over in her grave!!
I'm sure she isn't, Her Late Majesty being a most polite, gracious and understanding woman. Camilla is the Princess of Wales and had to wear a tiara. Queen Mary wouldn't have had it any other way. Any more nasty jibes at Camilla based on the premise that she isn't Diana Spencer?

tiaraprin said:
Her Majesty let her wear Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar tiara?? Queen Mary is rolling over in her grave!!
I hardly think so!!!!

The over dramatisation from the Diana Brigade really is tiresome. Camilla is HRH now [edited by Warren]

Personally I prefer this tiara to the Lovers Knot and I think it takes a Lady with a lot of self confidence & self worth to wear it!!!

Three Cheers for HRH, The Princess of Wales - Camilla

wymanda said:
I hardly think so!!!!

The over dramatisation from the Diana Brigade really is tiresome. Camilla is HRH now (edited by warren)
As you must learn to live with the fact that Diana is not going anywhere in the memory and hearts of many. She is also the mother of the Future King.

How does anyone know that the queen didn't gift the tiara to Camilla? To wear as long as she lives just as she did with the Diana tiara.

Raia said:
the tiara isn't hers it was only loaned to her for the evening once the evening is over it goes back to the queen it wasnt given as a gift to her to keep or anything it is now back in the hands of the Queen, i also dont think its right for her to be wearing a bigger tiara then both the queens.

If the Queen did not want her to wear the big tiara she wouldn't have let her use it . It would seem to have been the choice of the Queen which tiara Camilla wore.

OK, time to settle down please.

Everyone has their views and everyone has the right to express them on these Boards. Pointed remarks, digs, triumphalism, and inappropriate language do not a civil discussion make. They just lower the tone and discourage other members from participating.

No more "tiara tantrums". We will leave that to Elton John.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums Moderator

Raia said:

That's not true. The diadem hadn't been worn since 1947 and it was styled as a crown for Queen Mary's Durbar presentation as Empress of India. Obviously, it was sized and altered to fit Camilla as a tiara and is for her exclusive use.

It is a gift from the Queen to a future Consort, similar to Diana receiving the Lover's Knot Tiara before her wedding, as a symbol of their future role. Once Charles ascends the throne, the entire royal collection will be at Camilla's disposal to wear.

Obviously, no one ever expected a divorce to enter the royal picture for a Prince of Wales. Despite this development, Diana was allowed to retain Queen Mary's jewels for her lifetime use after the divorce. After her death, the tiara and emerald choker returned to the Queen.

tiaraprin said:
Queen Mary would never have supported a divorce and her great-grandson marrying his mistress. If she was so hard on her son Edward VIII, what would make her any different towards Camilla?

Very true, but I think we can all agree that we live in a world where people do get divorced, including members of the royal family. Times have changed and Queen Mary certainly would have understood changing things to ensure the monarchy would survive.

Regardless of how much people miss the late Princess, Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales and a Royal Highness. She will be his consort (and likely Queen) and there is nothing wrong with her having a tiara appropriate to her rank and role. The Queen obviously agreed since the piece belongs to her personal collection.

the ones who have said it was a gift to her, none of yous live in the UK i do i have read the reports about it and all the reports have said it was LOANED to her if it was a gift to her from the queen and was hers to keep it would of been reported but it hasnt the news and the papers have all said it was only loaned to her for the night.

so dont tell me i'm wrong when i'm stating what all the media here in the UK have said

Last edited:
heres some prove for those who dont believe me

hello magazine - read the second paragraph (loaned)
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/10/26/camilla/

the sun - read second paragraph (borrowed)
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005490564,,00.html

the daily mirror - paragraph 14 (lent)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest/tm_objectid=16296441%26method=full%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

sky news - second paragraph (loaned)
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13453778,00.html

bbc news - in title and first paragraph
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4374820.stm

the daily mail - little writing by picture (lent)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/dailymail/home.html?in_page_id=1766

CNN - in title and futher on in article (borrow)
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/26/camilla.tiara/index.html

i think have have proven my point the tiara was loaned to camilla theres all your proof seeing as none of you believed me

Last edited:
tiara

Well loaned or not I think it was great that the Queen allowed camilla to wear a piece from her personal collection. I think she wanted her daughter in-law to wear a major piece.

Raia said:
heres some prove for those who dont believe me.
I think have have proven my point the tiara was loaned to Camilla, There's all your proof seeing as none of you believed me
Raia

Please don't be upset. I think the problem is that people have different interpretations of the word "gifted" in this context.

The Delhi Durbar tiara is a very serious piece of jewellery and will be passed to the next Monarch for his wife's use. In the meantime, Queen Elizabeth has allowed it to be remodelled for Camilla. The Queen will retain legal ownership of the tiara while she is alive, but only Camilla will wear it.

In that sense it has been "gifted" to Camilla, but of course it remains the Queen's personal property. Perhaps the situation could be better expressed by saying that the tiara is "on permanent loan" to Camilla.

Warren

branchg said:
Very true, but I think we can all agree that we live in a world where people do get divorced, including members of the royal family. Times have changed and Queen Mary certainly would have understood changing things to ensure the monarchy would survive.

Regardless of how much people miss the late Princess, Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales and a Royal Highness. She will be his consort (and likely Queen) and there is nothing wrong with her having a tiara appropriate to her rank and role. The Queen obviously agreed since the piece belongs to her personal collection.

This goes beyond Diana. This goes to the heart of the monarchy. This woman is wearing a very historical piece of jewelry that in my opinion should not have been gifted to her in light of how she arrived to where she is today. I believe Queen Mary would agree.

Camilla arrived at where she is today because the Queen made it possible.
She allowed charles to marry her and she loaned her the tiara. Maybe the Queen feels it is time to move forward and leave the past in the past.

tiaraprin said:
This goes beyond Diana. This goes to the heart of the monarchy. This woman is wearing a very historical piece of jewelry that in my opinion should not have been gifted to her in light of how she arrived to where she is today. I believe Queen Mary would agree.

Well, Queen Mary may agree but Queen Elizabeth II obviously doesn't. I very much doubt that this tiara was chosen at random for Camilla and, as you say, this choice is very significant.

The Delhi Durbar tiara has been permanently loaned to Camilla, just like Queen Mary's Lover's Knot tiara was permanently loaned to Diana. Both pieces belong to the Queen as her personal property and she is free to lend, gift or do whatever she wishes with them.

In contrast, the Russian Headpiece tiara, the Girls of Britian and Ireland tiara, the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara all were left to the Crown to be worn by future Queens in right of it. Each successive Queen Regina or Consort may wear the pieces, but they must remain with the Sovereign's collection, rather than a personal item which can be left or lent to someone.

The tiara is a personal gift from the Queen for Camilla's permanent use. Yes, it still belongs to her, but if Camilla survives the Queen to become Consort, it is her personal property to retain.

Right now, there's no use in arguing, Camilla will be Queen and nothing anyone says is going to change that.

Warren said:
Raia

Please don't be upset. I think the problem is that people have different interpretations of the word "gifted" in this context.

The Delhi Durbar tiara is a very serious piece of jewellery and will be passed to the next Monarch for his wife's use. In the meantime, Queen Elizabeth has allowed it to be remodelled for Camilla. The Queen will retain legal ownership of the tiara while she is alive, but only Camilla will wear it.

In that sense it has been "gifted" to Camilla, but of course it remains the Queen's personal property. Perhaps the situation could be better expressed by saying that the tiara is "on permanent loan" to Camilla.

Warren

Warren, does this mean that after the Queen passes away, the Tiaras/Jewels she permanently loaned to other members of the royal house stay with them (princess Anne, Countess of Wessex, Duchess of York etc.) or go back to the current monarch and consort?!

Queen camilla

Can I just ask what happens if and when Camilla becomes Queen? Does the world come to an end or what? Charles will be king and do whatever it is he does just as the Queen before him. And Camilla will be at his side doing her thing whatever that is. Does anything change just because she is Queen is my question?

I like nearly everything Camilla wears; her jewelry is pretty, and it goes well with what she is wearing. I especially like the fact that she doesn't use clothes, jewelry, or hair styles to upstage her husband. She gets on with her work, and exhibits great patience and charm. It's a pity that Charles and she didn't marry years ago; it would have spared them and everyone else a royal headache. Camilla has tact and discretion, which is something all princesses should have.

branchg said:
In contrast, the Russian Headpiece tiara, the Girls of Britian and Ireland tiara, the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara all were left to the Crown to be worn by future Queens in right of it. Each successive Queen Regina or Consort may wear the pieces, but they must remain with the Sovereign's collection, rather than a personal item which can be left or lent to someone.

I didn't think Queen Mary left any major pieces in that way. When did those three tiaras get added to the list?

I personally do not like the dubar tiara on her, I think it is too big, it doesn't compliment her hair because her hair is so big and puffy and the tiara is that same shape, big and wide. I think a smaller tiara would be better. I think these three tiaras would look better on the Duchess. I really love the third one, I think that would be gorgous on her.

1.This one would look good
2. Also a very nice tiara
3. Even though it's small I think it would look strikingly good.:)

Elspeth said:
I didn't think Queen Mary left any major pieces in that way. When did those three tiaras get added to the list?

Leslie Fields says she believes they were left to the Queen in this manner.

auntie said:
Warren, does this mean that after the Queen passes away, the Tiaras/Jewels she permanently loaned to other members of the royal house stay with them (princess Anne, Countess of Wessex, Duchess of York etc.) or go back to the current monarch and consort?!

No, because the jewels were gifts from her own personal collection to her daughter and daughter-in-laws. They are not part of the Crown's collection.

branchg said:
That's not true. The diadem hadn't been worn since 1947 and it was styled as a crown for Queen Mary's Durbar presentation as Empress of India. Obviously, it was sized and altered to fit Camilla as a tiara and is for her exclusive use.

It is a gift from the Queen to a future Consort, similar to Diana receiving the Lover's Knot Tiara before her wedding, as a symbol of their future role. Once Charles ascends the throne, the entire royal collection will be at Camilla's disposal to wear.

Obviously, no one ever expected a divorce to enter the royal picture for a Prince of Wales. Despite this development, Diana was allowed to retain Queen Mary's jewels for her lifetime use after the divorce. After her death, the tiara and emerald choker returned to the Queen.

I don't remember Diana ever wearing the diadem tiara. Are you implying she did or am I misunderstanding your wording? As far as I remember, Diana wore only two tiaras: the Lover's Knot and the Spencer. This tiara that Camilla worn recently was a tiara I had never seen before except in an official picture of Queen Mary consort of George V.

iowabelle said:
Wymanda, that's part of my point about it being ludicrous.

Camilla is here and she isn't going away. Charles isn't going to hide her away and I am sure that he wants her to have all the deference due to her as his wife (no matter what title is used to describe her).

As for the rules that apply to what jewelry she can wear, I can see that she might not be allowed to wear a crown if she isn't crowned queen. But for as for the tiaras used by other consorts, why shouldn't she be allowed to use them? (At least for Charles' lifetime.)

(And for what it's worth, I think Camilla has done a pretty good job so far. And Charles seems to have perked up since the marriage.)

I could not agree more! And I think the tiara looks great on her!

diana have another tiara. Wait me a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom