The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

There's no need to shout; I may be getting old, but I'm not deaf yet, you know.

As I said, I think it's because it would cause negative publicity. People are very fond of the Queen Mum, there was quite a lot of bad press when it was noticed that Camilla's engagement ring had belonged to the Queen Mother, and I think there's going to be yet more stirring by the journalistic rat pack if Camilla starts showing up wearing any of the Queen Mother's jewels any time soon. There are a lot of Diana fans out there who don't want to see Camilla being given such clear symbols of royal acceptance yet. I think we're going to have to wait a while before seeing Camilla in either of the tiaras associated strongly with the Queen Mother. My suspicion is that she'll start wearing a few minor pieces that had belonged to the Queen Mother but that tiaras and important necklaces will be more historic things, which used to be Queen Mary's.

From that mean-spirited piece of character assassination in the Daily Mail the other week, portraying Camilla as an ambitious upstart who's already being cold shouldered by most of the senior royals, I think we can be pretty sure that if she's seen wearing the good old Queen Mum's jewels any time in the next year or two, it'll be a wonderful excuse for more of the same accusations about blind ambition and about family feuds between the Queen and Charles and goodness knows what else. And the Mail has quite a large circulation.

In any case, quite a lot of the jewellery worn by the Queen Mother was in the collection started by Queen Victoria to include items that should be worn only by queens in the future; that includes her ruby and diamond tiara among other items. If the officials at the Palace are still claiming that Camilla will be Princess Consort rather than Queen after Charles's accession, they'll be sabotaging their own cause by letting her wear items from that collection.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've rather belatedly changed the thread title to reflect Camilla's new name.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
There's no need to shout; I may be getting old, but I'm not deaf yet, you know.
Sorry Elspeth.
It just gets my back up that the press & some of the people want Camilla treated like a second class citizen. Had Charles & Diana still been together when the Queen Mum died Diana would have, no doubt, had her pick of the Queen Mums jewels but Camilla is to be denied these things despite the fact that she is Charles wife and has the same precedence and status that Diana had even though she has chosen to use the secondary title of Duchess of Cornwall. She is, by legal right, The Princess of Wales and is entitled to the "perks" of the job just as Diana was.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, well, you know how things are; a lot of people have an intense emotional attachment to Diana, the press is ready to magnify real or perceived friction out of all proportion, and the royal family, if its self-preservation instincts are any good, will have to take things slowly. That's why I think it's probably going to be a while before we see Camilla wearing pieces that are closely associated with the Queen Mother.

The other thing is that the Queen Mother didn't have that many major pieces of jewellery; for the last few decades she basically only wore two tiaras and a small number of very recognisable brooches and necklaces. I think it's likely to be a few years before Camilla is seen in any of them, although I might be underestimating the courage of the royals.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Elspeth,

i dont wanted Camilla used Diana's famous jewerly since Diana got marriages to Prince Charles in 1981-1997 they reminded of Diana very much!

i wanted Camilla wores HM Queen Mother's jewels more best!

Sara Boyce
Old 06-29-2005, 01:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
WHY?

Whilst I agree with you regarding items that Diana wore, I fail to see why items worn by the Queen Mother (a lady who lived a long and full life) should be consigned to the vaults and not worn by the wife of her favourite grandson and the heir to the throne. Whatever title she chooses to be known by, Camilla will be Charles consort and first lady of the land. It is only right that she have jewels befitting that position.

The Queen is well aware of how her mother felt about Camilla and is a traditionalist when it comes to these matters. There is no way Camilla will be seen wearing the Queen Mother's important jewels (like the Boucheron tiara augmented by Cartier) while the Queen is alive. Once Charles ascends the throne, he is free to give Camilla whatever Crown pieces he wishes for her to wear.

I'm sure the Queen will be generous, however, with her private collection, of which only a tiny fraction has ever been seen or worn since the time of Queen Mary. There are many, many pieces that can be reset for Camilla and she already has a rapidly growing collection of jewels that Charles has purchased for her.

I don't think we have to worry. Camilla will have plenty of important jewels to wear!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Does anyone recognize the pair of flower pins (they look like daisies) that Camilla wore today in Portland? Could they be more things out of the Queen Mum's jewel box?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Royal Highness

I saw those pins again, in the Hello Magazine online spread about Camilla's hats. She wore the matching flower pins at Ascot when she wore the white Philip Treacy hat (no feathers!) and a periwinkle suit.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
No matter what she wears in jewellry she will never have class.
I agree... Never liked her back in when she and Charles were dating, don't like her now. Diana is the only Princess of Wales IMHO and Camilla as queen? Pyucky :(
Old 07-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
Sorry Elspeth.
It just gets my back up that the press & some of the people want Camilla treated like a second class citizen. Had Charles & Diana still been together when the Queen Mum died Diana would have, no doubt, had her pick of the Queen Mums jewels but Camilla is to be denied these things despite the fact that she is Charles wife and has the same precedence and status that Diana had even though she has chosen to use the secondary title of Duchess of Cornwall. She is, by legal right, The Princess of Wales and is entitled to the "perks" of the job just as Diana was.
Some of us will never accept Camilla regardless of who she is today. We're just like those members of the Royal Family that rebuffed Wallis, Duchess of Windsor when she married the Duke of Windsor ... she was never accepted or forgiven. That's where my stance is. Lovely lady, Camilla I'm sure but not in my books.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Let's stay on topic, please.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
No matter what she wears in jewellry she will never have class.

I posted this comment over a year ago and I have to say that she has really impressed me. She is filling her role with finesse and I do have to say class.

I am interested to see what tiara she does wear.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

Given that Diana wore the Spencer tiara and the Lover's Knot Tiara (and Earl Spencer has taken his tiara back), which tiara do you think Camilla will show up with? Is there one of the Queen Mother's that Charles might want her to wear? Or do you think he'll buy her a new one and give her a "fresh" start free of any memories?

I was looking in a book the other day and saw a small tiara that the Queen Mother wore in the 1920's, later worn by Margaret and then Anne. It might be an obvious choice, but I didn't think it was grand enough for Camilla. (When I say "grand" I think Charles would like it to stand out and, practically, Camilla has a lot of hair, a small tiara would be lost on her.)
Old 07-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness

I kept looking. The honeycomb or Boucheron tiara has been raised as a possibility. Or perhaps, didn't the Queen Mother have a lovely tiara with rubies -- that would stand out on Camilla's hair.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Royal Highness

The ruby one, the Oriental Circlet Tiara.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

The ruby one is part of the jewels that Queen Victoria specified as being reserved for use by queens and future queens, so it'll be interesting to see if Camilla does wear it.

Perhaps the Queen will take that one over and Camilla will get the use of the Burmese ruby tiara, although I'm not sure the red stones would be the best colour for her.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

The Burmese ruby tiara would be an interesting choice; it is large although not very attractive IMO. (Of course, I don't have any rubies and no diamonds bigger than a chip!)
Old 07-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Camilla will have a new tiara, either purchased by Prince Charles or newly designed for her using stones from the royal collection. I doubt very much she will be given a tiara associated with the Queen Mother or reserved for use by a Queen or Consort.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Serene Highness

I'm hoping for the Strathmore Rose or one of the tiaras that Queen Mary recieved as wedding gifts.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Burmese Ruby Tiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
The Burmese ruby tiara would be an interesting choice; it is large although not very attractive IMO.
I used to be underwhelmed by this tiara until I saw saw close-up pics of it when she wore it on a visit to France some years ago. The upsweep diamond bars on each side of the central ruby motif give it "lift". I think it is one of those pieces that need to be seen in the right light to "catch the glint" and the detail.

A point about the "Tiara for Camilla" debate is that quite possibly Charles presented her with a (probably newly-purchased) tiara on their wedding day; if not there are so many mystery tiaras in the vaults that The Queen would not have to resort to recycling the Queen Mother's tiaras. I think we can be confident there are plenty from which to choose!

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, jewellery