Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Oh yes...now I remember! Such an exquisite set but of jewelry.

But the woman it was purchased for after Diana's death didn't want to wear it because of it's sad history and I get the feeling that Harry and William would not want it for their wives for probably the same reason.

It's a shame because it really is lovely.:sad:

I know...I just love it (and the earrings) ....but she wasn't wearing it when she died so I don't see anything tragic tied to it really anymore than her engagement ring. But that's me.

LaRae

Most of the stuff the Queen wears is her private jewelry that she was either gifted as a personal present for her wedding etc or stuff she inherited from her mother and Queen Mary. Because to the monarch to monarch transfer being inheritance tax free including stuff from widowed consorts, Charles is going to get the bulk of the Queen's jewelry then William. In time the jewelry William inherited from his mother and the jewelry acquired by Kate will be added to this private collection. It's still privately owned. George is going to get most of the jewelry with Charlotte getting some but it doesn't make sense to give her ownership of many item because her children aren't going to be royal and aren't going to need tiara's besides a wedding day.

So the bulk of the jewelry stays the private possession of the monarch. Just like Balmoral and Sandringham, the Queen could leave the estates to Andrew and Edward if she wanted but they will end up being sold to pay the taxes on them and they can't afford to maintain them. Charles would get them tax free. Plus he has the income to maintain them that's why they are passed down from monarch to monarch.

I know...I just love it (and the earrings) ....but she wasn't wearing it when she died so I don't see anything tragic tied to it really anymore than her engagement ring. But that's me.

LaRae

I think some might consider it kind of sad because it was the last set of major bling she appeared in before she died, and the entire suite wasn't even completed until after she died.

That's the only reason I can think of why the Spencers and the her sons decided to sell it off.

I think some might consider it kind of sad because it was the last set of major bling she appeared in before she died, and the entire suite wasn't even completed until after she died.

That's the only reason I can think of why the Spencers and the her sons decided to sell it off.

Ok my understanding is that since Diana hadn't paid for them she never owned them, the jeweler then sold them. It wasn't up to the Spencers/W&H.

LaRae

Ok my understanding is that since Diana hadn't paid for them she never owned them, the jeweler then sold them. It wasn't up to the Spencers/W&H.

Yes. My understanding is that she was just "trying them out" when she wore them and the suite had not even been completed. Money never changed hands and the jeweler sold it to someone who eventually put it up for auction. So, really, the Swan thing was never even a part of Diana's jewelry collection.

Right that's the senario I heard... the jeweler had advanced the necklace to her (she commissioned the set) but payment wouldn't of been expected until the whole thing was done (he was working on the earrings)...he finished the suite after her death and sold them.

LaRae

I think Charlotte may be loaned a tiara, and possibly have one purchased for her, like Princess Margaret, because as her jewels are pasted down her family, the further, and further they move away from the monarchy. Jewels belonging to Camilla will also come into play due to the fact she has non royal children that should rightfully inherit her personal jewels. It will be the jewels from Charles that will be the issue. If he bought them for her, they could go to her children, if they belonged to QEQM, they should remain in the royal family. Quite the quagmire.

Well... not really a quagmire. I mean, you just stated the different ways the jewelry should be treated right there. I would be very surprised if Camilla's will was not set up so that royal pieces stay with the royal family and private pieces to to her children.

Somebody a few pages back said that Catherine wasn't wearing the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, but Queen Mary's Lover's Knot. She's wearing the same tiara Diana wore for years, and the Queen before her, and Queen Mary before her. It's posts like that, which make people confused and lead to false information.

Actually the person who made that post is perfectly correct, the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara was given to Princess Augusta, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg Strelitz née Princess of Cambridge.
Queen Mary had a copy made for herself which is the Lovers Knot Tiara that the Duchess of Cambridge wears today.

Lets hope Harry future wife gets the sapphire pearl choker since Kate has the big blue and the lover knot tiara and the earrings that goes perfectly well with it.

The lovers knot wasn't Diana's and it isn't Kate's. It belongs to the Queen.

The lovers knot wasn't Diana's and it isn't Kate's. It belongs to the Queen.

I know but its highly associated with Diana. Every time Kate wears it, it reminds us of Diana. Just saying I hope the famous sapphire and pearl choker is for Harry's future wife.

I know but its highly associated with Diana. Every time Kate wears it, it reminds us of Diana. Just saying I hope the famous sapphire and pearl choker is for Harry's future wife.

I imagine Harry's future wife will be allowed to borrow any piece of jewelry she wishes but it will never "belong" to her, it will belong to the Queen and later to King Charles and King William. And the only reason most people are reminded of Diana when Kate wears the Cambridge Knot is because the newspapers insist on pointing it out. It belongs to the Queen who used to wear it often during the 50s and 60s.

I think Charlotte may be loaned a tiara, and possibly have one purchased for her, like Princess Margaret, because as her jewels are pasted down her family, the further, and further they move away from the monarchy. Jewels belonging to Camilla will also come into play due to the fact she has non royal children that should rightfully inherit her personal jewels. It will be the jewels from Charles that will be the issue. If he bought them for her, they could go to her children, if they belonged to QEQM, they should remain in the royal family. Quite the quagmire.

All of QEQMs jewellery - including the Greville bequest were left to HMQ.

The Delhi Durbar tiara is part of the Royal jewels held by HMQ

Camilla has these jewels for her life time, and then they return to the Monarch

Any personal jewels - The Shand tiara, some of her brooches, personal gifts from PoW - she can dispose of as she wishes.

HMQ is now v strict about lending rather than giving any of the royal jewels.

Same applies to Catherine - she has on loan royal jewels such as the Lovers Knot Tiara - and they stay in the royal collection. Her other jewels, (diamond ruby necklace (worn with black velvet gown), "Olympic" Cartier necklace, all the kiki stuff) she can leave to whom she wants - probably Charlotte.

Last edited:
Diana had private jewellery that she may have inherited from her family and that Charles gave to her as his wife not as a future sovereign, and that jewellery will, hopefully, be shared between her sons' wives.

I imagine Harry's future wife will be allowed to borrow any piece of jewelry she wishes but it will never "belong" to her, it will belong to the Queen and later to King Charles and King William. And the only reason most people are reminded of Diana when Kate wears the Cambridge Knot is because the newspapers insist on pointing it out. It belongs to the Queen who used to wear it often during the 50s and 60s.

Um Diana's collection is not associated with the jewels of the monarchs. If Harry wanted to gift that choker for her until death who are we to say otherwise?

Clk qmlk

ldmemail said: "Actually the person who made that post is perfectly correct, the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara was given to Princess Augusta, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg Strelitz née Princess of Cambridge.
Queen Mary had a copy made for herself which is the Lovers Knot Tiara that the Duchess of Cambridge wears today"

Yes, the tiara that has graced the heads of Queen Mary, QE II, Diana, Princess of Wales, and The Duchess of Cambridge is a copy of a tiara owned by Queen Mary's Aunt Augusta. Confusingly though, this is often called by the same name as Aunt Augusta's Tiara.

However, the post I'm referring to was confusing in it's language as it could be read as there being two different BRITISH Tiaras and that Catherine was wearing a different one than Diana wore. I simply reiterated that whatever one may call it, The Cambridge Lover's Knot or Queen Mary's Lover's Knot, the tiara on Catherine's head two nights ago was the exact same tiara that has been worn by Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth II, Diana, Princess of Wales.

Last edited:
All of QEQMs jewellery - including the Greville bequest were left to HMQ.

The Delhi Durbar tiara is part of the Royal jewels held by HMQ

Camilla has these jewels for her life time, and then they return to the Monarch

Any personal jewels - The Shand tiara, some of her brooches, personal gifts from PoW - she can dispose of as she wishes.

What about Camilla's engagement ring? That once belonged to the Queen Mother. Does that mean that after Camilla's death, it returns to the RF?

Charles would probably be King in that event, and so it would remain with the BRF. I can't see Camilla leaving that particular ring to her children anyway. The engagement ring Andrew gave her maybe, but not that one.

Charles would probably be King in that event, and so it would remain with the BRF. I can't see Camilla leaving that particular ring to her children anyway. The engagement ring Andrew gave her maybe, but not that one.

What happens if Camilla outlives Charles?

This thread has seriously gone off topic. There is Camilla jewelry thread that all this should move to.

The royal jewels, including her engagement ring, will retrurn to the royal vaults.

There is no such thing as "the royal jewels".

There are jewels formally belonging to the queen (private property). The queen can leave them to Charles, or Camilla, or John Smith. Future owners will make their own decisions.
Queen-mother's jewelry is in this category.

There are Camilla's private pieces. She can leave them to Charles, children or again John Smith.

There are gifts (Saudi necklaces, etc.). They belongs to The Royal Collections. Camilla has them for life.

Her engagement ring belongs to 1st or 2nd category. No automatic return.

I guess I don't understand the quagmire...if they are gifts from Charles to Camilla then they are hers to do whatever she wants with...however anything belonging to the Monarchy will go back or remain there. I don't imagine Charles is going to gift Camilla with anything belonging to the Monarchy.

LaRae

Camilla has received pieces that belonged to QEQM, should those pieces go to her children of a previous marriage, or should they go to William or Harry. I think those pieces should stay with the royal family. Pieces bought for her could go either way, although, I think those should stay also. Pieces that she brought into the marriage, should go to her children.

I don't believe those were given to Camilla to 'keep'...I believe she understands on her death they go back to the BRF...those pieces that were from the QM.

Her private jewelry bought for her by Charles are hers to dispose of as she wishes.

LaRae

There are many, many beautiful items that already exist and as the times change and tiara and big bling events become the exception rather than the norm, I think the vault will be used more and more and "new" pieces become more of a rarity.

It makes me so sad to think that there will be less tiara events. I wish the BRF would go back to the days of wearing tiaras at royal performance events--basically at any chance possible. I wonder why they do not have as many tiara events as the Scandinavian Royal families.

There is no such thing as "the royal jewels".

There are jewels formally belonging to the queen (private property). The queen can leave them to Charles, or Camilla, or John Smith. Future owners will make their own decisions.
Queen-mother's jewelry is in this category.

There are Camilla's private pieces. She can leave them to Charles, children or again John Smith.

There are gifts (Saudi necklaces, etc.). They belongs to The Royal Collections. Camilla has them for life.

Her engagement ring belongs to 1st or 2nd category. No automatic return.

By royal jewels, I mean jewels Camilla received from:

> the Queen,
> those that belonged to QEQM or other royal ancestors
> jewels that are or were part of the Royal Collection
> jewels received by Camilla in her role as Princess of Wales and th Duchess of Cornwall

I would expect these to continue to remain as part of the private collection of the RF or be a part of the Royal Collection.

Other jewels that she had, including those that she brought to the marriage, received as private gifts or were presents from Prince Charles will be ones that she can choose to will as she chooses. Some of these will probably go to her children, and some may become part of the private collection of the royal family.

Any better pictures or ID on what looks like a ruby and diamond pendant and matching earrings worn at arrival in Warsaw today by the Duchess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom