Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. It's good to see major jewels been worn by Kate but I think this is ill matched. The delicacy of the pink gown also seems to require a lighter touch in the accompanying jewels.

I agree with you.
She looks amazing, the tiara and earrings (so delighted to see these pearls again!) together are exquisite.
The dress and necklace together is a wonderful combination!
But altogether... to me it is just screaming mismatched! But the jewellery is so fabulous, I suppose one must forgive all!
Major points awarded though for glittering in family jewels.

I think [in this case] the three stones work together, as with the Rubies 'chime' with the pale Pink gown, and [under artificial light] Pearls will pick up the Pink and reds, and take on a pinkish cast themselves.
It is a delight to see this long unworn necklace again, and with the plunging neckline it demands..
Bravo, Ma'am.

She looked stunning, imo. I'm so excited to see that necklace on her, it fits great with that gown. Her elegant chignon was great for the serious tiara, which Queen Mary's lover's knot definitely is. And Diana's earings, as the cherries on the icing. :D

I'm going to be crucified for saying this, but it's horribly mismatched! Pearl, diamonds and rubies, she should have gone with pearls/diamonds or just diamonds/rubies but not all three.

I quite agree with you, in looking at the color of her gown, I can't decide if it is lavender, pink or what color it is. The best bet would be diamonds and rubies as I am a ruby lover of that gem stone. All 3 of the gem stones take away from each other...to much going on there, as they say, less is more!

And a low cut gown for a state event? Will I be burned at the stake for that comment? IMO that would of been more for a private event instead of a royal event.

Catherine is also wearing Diana's earrings. The same earrings Diana used to wear with Queen Mary's Lovers Knot Tiara.

So happy to finally see the DoC wearing the same jewels I used to see Diana wearing all the time...even though it kind of puts a lump in my throat. Gosh I miss that lady!

Kate looks amazing in them.

Wow so is she going to get all of Diana jewels? I thought Harry and William will split all the jewels in half? Also, Is the necklace hers to keep as well?

A knock-out. A total thrill to see Diana's earrings. :wub:

I presume this is a guess on your part

Nope! Not at all!

So happy to finally see the DoC wearing the same jewels I used to see Diana wearing all the time...even though it kind of puts a lump in my throat. Gosh I miss that lady!

She just dazzled tonight. Stunning and, yes, it's very touching that Catherine is wearing these jewels that her late mother-in-law once wore.

Last edited:
I quite agree with you, in looking at the color of her gown, I can't decide if it is lavender, pink or what color it is. The best bet would be diamonds and rubies as I am a ruby lover of that gem stone. All 3 of the gem stones take away from each other...to much going on there, as they say, less is more!

And a low cut gown for a state event? Will I be burned at the stake for that comment? IMO that would of been more for a private event instead of a royal event.

I think Kate can get away with the neckline because she's not busty.

LaRae

It is quite nice to see the tiara and the earrings back together again!!

Kitty it is thought the boys split the jewelry ...not that they couldn't loan pieces out to each other's wives and since Harry is not yet married it's possible Kate is wearing pieces Harry chose...that said, I think this is the first piece of personal jewelry Kate has worn (other than the engagement ring) that belonged to Diana....and Diana had quite a bit of jewelry. I'm sure there's more to see in the future.

LaRae

Wow so is she going to get all of Diana jewels? I thought Harry and William will split all the jewels in half? Also, Is the necklace hers to keep as well?

The necklace belongs to the Queen herself (not the BRF) so that will be left to whomever the Queen chooses...so we don't know who will get it yet.

LaRae

Kitty it is thought the boys split the jewelry ...not that they couldn't loan pieces out to each other's wives and since Harry is not yet married it's possible Kate is wearing pieces Harry chose...that said, I think this is the first piece of personal jewelry Kate has worn (other than the engagement ring) that belonged to Diana....and Diana had quite a bit of jewelry. I'm sure there's more to see in the future.

If I'm not mistaken, Catherine has worn those pearl earrings on several occasions, both day and evening. And I will bet she has worn many pieces of Diana's personal jewelry that we just haven't noticed. I mean, none of us know ALL the personal jewelry Diana had in her collection, do we?

I also think Diana left her estate to both her boys and they haven't split anything since Harry has no use for her jewelry at the moment and I doubt there will be a problem in the future over which wife wants to wear what. After all, Kate will eventually have the run of the royal vault.

It is quite nice to see the tiara and the earrings back together again!!

LaRae

Very true!! Excited when Harry gets married to see which jewels the wives get. Hoping Harry wife wears the sapphire and pearl choker necklace!

If I'm not mistaken, Catherine has worn those pearl earrings on several occasions, both day and evening. And I will bet she has worn many pieces of Diana's personal jewelry that we just haven't noticed. I mean, none of us know ALL the personal jewelry Diana had in her collection, do we?

I also think Diana left her estate to both her boys and they haven't split anything since Harry has no use for her jewelry at the moment and I doubt there will be a problem in the future over which wife wants to wear what. After all, Kate will eventually have the run of the royal vault.
Well that's why I think they will either share the jewels or split the jewels in half.

I like that there's a bit of a mismatch with the bandeau necklace and the pearl tiara and earrings. It reminds me of Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra and how they piled it on. They treated pearls as neutrals, like diamonds, so why shouldn't Catherine?

The present queen also sometimes wears her big ruby and diamond floret earrings with her pearls for an evening look.

I'm going to be crucified for saying this, but it's horribly mismatched! Pearl, diamonds and rubies, she should have gone with pearls/diamonds or just diamonds/rubies but not all three.

I don't see how she could have done that, since she had to wear a tiara, and both the Lover's Knot and the Lotus have both diamonds and pearls. The Halo doesn't, but it would have looked too insignificant compared to the massive tiaras most of the other royal ladies were wearing.

The necklace was probably a special loan for this particular occasion, so she had to wear that as well.

Wow. I love the jewels. I don't see a mismatch- and this is coming from someone who tends to gravitate towards having things coordinate and match. But I don't see a problem here. It works imo.

That necklace is one of the most exquisite pieces of royal jewelry I've seen, ever. How have I missed it all these years?
I think the contrast between the delicate nature of the dress and the bold piece of jewelry is perfect, and the low-ish neckline shows it off well.

That necklace is one of the most exquisite pieces of royal jewelry I've seen, ever. How have I missed it all these years?

I think the contrast between the delicate nature of the dress and the bold piece of jewelry is perfect, and the low-ish neckline shows it off well.

Oh I agree with you - the necklace is spectacular and compliments the dress beautifully!

I like to think that this basic ass blush pink dress is a good canvas for the fantastic jewelry she has on tonight. Because those are splendid

I think that necklace has been in storage for a number of years..a shame but you can only wear that with a certain type of dress and I don't think the Queen has wore that type of neckline in a long long time.

LaRae

Very true!! Excited when Harry gets married to see which jewels the wives get. Hoping Harry wife wears the sapphire and pearl choker necklace!

Kate seems to wear quite a bit of Sapphire jewelry so we'll see if it shows up as that piece or re-worked in the future.

LaRae

I don't recall seeing her wear them before...do recall any specific event?

I'm sure there were pieces folks don't even know about, she had a lot of costume jewelry as well ...I'm referring to known pieces though.

LaRae

Fabulous necklace, boy that mrs. Grenville really did know how to buy jewelry! Her poor posture almost ruins the effect for me. Kate, please watch letitzia

Horribly mismatched indeed. The only thing I can think is that she was going to wear a red dress and found out Letizia was and so changed.

I think the pairing of the Lovers Knot Tiara and Diana's Collingworth Pearl and Diamond Earrings are a match made in heaven. They really look beautiful and create a balanced effect. Unfortunately, the appearance of the magnificent and beauteous Ruby and Diamond Floral Bandeau Necklace stuck in her cleavage was like fingernails on a chalkboard. The Bandeau is worthy of a sonnet and there it sits, it's beautiful, dainty and feminine rubies and diamonds spent the evening arguing with the prissy pink lace that had it surrounded.

I look forward to seeing it in a perfect setting as Catherine certainly has the long neck and decolletage to provide the perfect canvas for the Ruby and Diamond Floral Bandeau Necklace. All she needed was the right frame and the pink gown wasn't it even if it did have an overly deep Hollywood plunge going on.

I agree , she was not Royal at all and without any oder she was like Marie Christine of Kent and his daughter (minor Royals)
The actuel Royals (not Queen Maxima) are wearing tiara , earrings and bracelet.

only wear that with a certain type of dress

I beg to disagree... for a more contemporary look the necklace would look amazing against a high, round necked,column dress in matte grey/anthracite or black.. Like something Sheika Mozah might wear ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom