The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Only if she wants to look like a walking color chart I am sorry but those huge blue earrings with a primary red dress, she would just need a yellow accessory and she would look like an art class.

If she really insists on wearing these again, they'd be better paired with another dress of the same color. Or with a neutral dress, like a black one.
Alright. Since you seem to be a style guru. Which of Catherine's current earrings would you pair with Catherine's bright orange/red Beulah gown?

Old 04-10-2016, 11:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Sorry folks...these are awful...they look like cheap costume jewelry. LaRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I think the earrings are too big.

IMO, it would have looked better with the bottom half removed.
The earrings a truly gorgeous shade of blue and have a very dramatic look. They are bold and made to catch the eye, but the absolutely do not match what she is wearing.

Catherine's silk/chiffon gown and wrap are delicately embroidered with silver thread and encrusted with tiny crystal beads and sequins. It is very feminine and delicate and really needed a pair of delicate earrings.

Instead we have these honking great lapis earrings that are made even more large by their flat surface and setting. They would have gone very well with a sophisticated caftan or something with strong clean lines, instead they just look like costume jewellery.

http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/u...il-10-2016.jpg

http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/u...600-x-1000.jpg

Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=Countessmeout;1878551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Oh, I'm very familiar with Diana's jewels. I don't really care about royal fashion at all, the ladies could all wear burlap sacks to all their engagements and I wouldn't blink; but I do like jewels.

It's just outside of the royal jewels that Diana was gifted, I don't see much else other ladies would really like. If Harry marries a woman who loves the retro 80's look, she might think Diana's jewels are a jackpot, and then she'll bling out in them. But that's a big 'if'. Honestly, I have trouble picking out any of Diana's other rings, that Harry's bride would even like as an engagements ring. Chelsy likes blue topaz, so she might of been okay with the large blue topaz ring; but usually you don't use semi-precious gems for engagement rings. And I can't see Cressida liking any of those rings. If you're a fan of the Kennedy family, you might convince yourself that Diana's emerald ring is a less attractive homage to Jackie's engagement ring. I don't really blame Catherine for building her own collection and loaning from HM.

Of course. But if she's wearing her usual coat dresses, then there's a 95% chance she wearing her pearl drop earrings, or her citrine drop earrings, or her sapphire and diamond drop earrings. She's a creature of habit.

But I do think she could wear the new earrings with some of her cocktail dresses, the type of outfits that she usually wears with her Temple of Heaven Girandole earrings or her large circular blue topaz earrings. If she ever wears her bright red/orange Beulah gown again, the earring might work there, too.[/QUOTE]

Only if she wants to look like a walking color chart I am sorry but those huge blue earrings with a primary red dress, she would just need a yellow accessory and she would look like an art class.

If she really insists on wearing these again, they'd be better paired with another dress of the same color. Or with a neutral dress, like a black one.

Or she could wear them as Evening Jewelry/Earrings, as these obviously are, instead? These are Big Bling, meant to make an impact, which screams Evening Jewelry to seemly everyone but you.

Do you seriously think we'll ever see these on Kate for a Daytime Engagement? Because if you do, you haven't really been paying close attention over the years,

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-11-2016, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Please remember that this thread is about Catherine's jewelry. If you wish to discuss fashion, please take it to her fashion thread.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Oh, I'm very familiar with Diana's jewels. I don't really care about royal fashion at all, the ladies could all wear burlap sacks to all their engagements and I wouldn't blink; but I do like jewels.

It's just outside of the royal jewels that Diana was gifted, I don't see much else other ladies would really like. If Harry marries a woman who loves the retro 80's look, she might think Diana's jewels are a jackpot, and then she'll bling out in them. But that's a big 'if'. Honestly, I have trouble picking out any of Diana's other rings, that Harry's bride would even like as an engagements ring. Chelsy likes blue topaz, so she might of been okay with the large blue topaz ring; but usually you don't use semi-precious gems for engagement rings. And I can't see Cressida liking any of those rings. If you're a fan of the Kennedy family, you might convince yourself that Diana's emerald ring is a less attractive homage to Jackie's engagement ring. I don't really blame Catherine for building her own collection and loaning from HM.
Harry's bride might prefer to have a ring of her choice as an engagement ring, rather than one that belonged to Harry's late mother.

If William is having Kate wait until Harry gets married before she selects any of Diana's jewellery, I think it might be time to rethink that plan. Harry might not get married for many years, and Kate should have access to any jewels she might get from that source now.

Even when he does marry, Harry might marry a woman who doesn't care much for jewels, or has specific tastes, or doesn't care much for any of the jewels from Diana's collection. And if she does care for jewels, there is some merit to her just having whatever the future Queen Consort does not select rather than being put in the position of having to fight with Kate about what she is to get. Kate being the senior wife would have priority, I would think. Harry's wife can have any pieces she doesn't like reset. Anyway, Harry inherited a lot of money from Diana's estate and can buy his future wife jewellery from that fund. If he marries a very wealthy woman, she might have her own jewels anyway.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Harry's bride might prefer to have a ring of her choice as an engagement ring, rather than one that belonged to Harry's late mother.

If William is having Kate wait until Harry gets married before she selects any of Diana's jewellery, I think it might be time to rethink that plan. Harry might not get married for many years, and Kate should have access to any jewels she might get from that source now.

Even when he does marry, Harry might marry a woman who doesn't care much for jewels, or has specific tastes, or doesn't care much for any of the jewels from Diana's collection. And if she does care for jewels, there is some merit to her just having whatever the future Queen Consort does not select rather than being put in the position of having to fight with Kate about what she is to get. Kate being the senior wife would have priority, I would think. Harry's wife can have any pieces she doesn't like reset. Anyway, Harry inherited a lot of money from Diana's estate and can buy his future wife jewellery from that fund. If he marries a very wealthy woman, she might have her own jewels anyway.
I sure she would given the options. I just think Harry, like William and Charles(QEQM's ring), might be tempted to go down the sentimental route and give his future bride one of his mother's rings even though the options aren't that appealing. I'm sure she would accept the ring as not to hurt his feelings, even if it went completely against her taste. Hopefully, if he feels this urge he'll look at what Philip did with HM's ring, use mom's stones but make a new attractive ring.

Maybe a teenage Charlotte could wear Diana's more youthful pieces from the early 80's.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I sure she would given the options. I just think Harry, like William and Charles(QEQM's ring), might be tempted to go down the sentimental route and give his future bride one of his mother's rings even though the options aren't that appealing. I'm sure she would accept the ring as not to hurt his feelings, even if it went completely against her taste. Hopefully, if he feels this urge he'll look at what Philip did with HM's ring, use mom's stones but make a new attractive ring.

Maybe a teenage Charlotte could wear Diana's more youthful pieces from the early 80's.
Why should the burden be on the woman to not hurt the man's delicate feelings? She's the one who is expected to wear the thing on her hand for the rest of her life. What about the man doing the woman the courtesy of asking her what she would like? She might be happy with a hand-me-down but she might prefer something brand new that will be hers alone. At least give her the option, Harry, don't make the decision for her.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Why should the burden be on the woman to not hurt the man's delicate feelings? She's the one who is expected to wear the thing on her hand for the rest of her life. What about the man doing the woman the courtesy of asking her what she would like? She might be happy with a hand-me-down but she might prefer something brand new that will be hers alone. At least give her the option, Harry, don't make the decision for her.
I agree for the most part. If Harry were buying or designing the ring himself, I would hope he would consult his girlfriend on her likes and dislikes, instead of flying by the seat of his pants. I just think a dead mom's ring is a bit of an emotional land-mine, and a woman may feel guilty about saying she doesn't want it. If she absolutely hates the ring, it's probably for the best that she finds a tactful way to decline it, but if she's just ambivalent about it, it might be a loving gesture to wear it, knowing it means a lot to her husband.

I hope Catherine and Camilla love their heirloom rings, but even if they didn't, I'm just not convinced that either would have told their Prince to stuff it back in the vault.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Royal Tour of India and Bhutan: Meeting with Prime Minister Modi | The Court Jeweller

New Kiki McDonough earrings on Kate at the Lunch with the Indian PM. They were specially created for Kate following Charlotte's birth and are made of green tourmaline and green amethysts

Later in the day as the tour progressed at the National park Kate wore a pair of earrings seen back during her post-uni days about 2006. Great to see her bringing old jewellery out in her royal days

Old 04-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Commoner

Possible push present?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

LOVE these earrings!

LaRae
Old 04-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful earrings featuring Charlotte's birthstone!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

No, right color wrong stone. Emerald is May's birthstone. Those are amathysts (February) and tourmaline (which is considered by some to be an alternative for opals for October).

But beautiful earrings just the same.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes you are correct Countessmeout. I should have read the description.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

The greens of the amethyst and tourmaline jewels complement each other very well.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, the stones go well together and they complement Kate's eye colour. They are lovely.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

great earrings!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Royal Tour of India and Bhutan: Meeting with Prime Minister Modi | The Court Jeweller

New Kiki McDonough earrings on Kate at the Lunch with the Indian PM. They were specially created for Kate following Charlotte's birth and are made of green tourmaline and green amethysts

Later in the day as the tour progressed at the National park Kate wore a pair of earrings seen back during her post-uni days about 2006. Great to see her bringing old jewellery out in her royal days
Stunning earrings! These are beautiful as well:

Royal Tour of India and Bhutan: Bihu Festival Celebration at Kaziranga | The Court Jeweller
Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Serene Highness

I just love that she still has her old earrings! Would hate to think she had given those away after her marriage as they weren't princess-y enough.

I am a fan of long dangling earrings for those with long hair (I have long hair) - i love the look of a jewel reflecting or dancing in the hair as it moves. She has dusted off a few old pairs lately... and I love it! (especially love the black and silver she wore to the Queens Birthday garden party).
Old 04-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

What are the older earrings made from...the site doesn't say..?

LaRae