The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-11-2017, 11:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

I still get chocked up when I think about William giving Catherine his mums ring. Meant the world to him and Catherine. Lots of deep love involved. It’s stunning on her finger too!

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I agree that ring is rather large. I imagine she doesn't wear it to play with her children around the house. But oh my, what a fuss there would be if she had it recut and reset. And it might hurt William's feelings.
I just had a conversation with my husband about this, and his view is that an engagement ring should please the woman one is marrying. Full stop. I liked that answer. It may be that the ring pleases Kate just as it is, and if so, she should do nothing, of course. But my hubby also said that he would never give me a ring that was not totally about me. He thinks Diana's ring belongs in a museum display for the public to view.

Left to me, I'd say thank you but ask if it could be re-set (as so many jewels are). If that were an issue, I'd ask for another ring or my own ring, more in keeping with my tastes. However out of sync the style and tastefulness of the Diana ring is for Kate, it is clear the history and such please her enough to wear it for William's sake. So that makes it all good, though it does look odd in today's world. JMO.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I still get chocked up when I think about William giving Catherine his mums ring. Meant the world to him and Catherine. Lots of deep love involved. It’s stunning on her finger too!
I agree...and I am hoping Harry does something similar!

LaRae
Old 10-11-2017, 11:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I just had a conversation with my husband about this, and his view is that an engagement ring should please the woman one is marrying. Full stop. I liked that answer. It may be that the ring pleases Kate just as it is, and if so, she should do nothing, of course. But my hubby also said that he would never give me a ring that was not totally about me. He thinks Diana's ring belongs in a museum display for the public to view.

Left to me, I'd say thank you but ask if it could be re-set (as so many jewels are). If that were an issue, I'd ask for another ring or my own ring, more in keeping with my tastes. However out of sync the style and tastefulness of the Diana ring is for Kate, it is clear the history and such please her enough to wear it for William's sake. So that makes it all good, though it does look odd in today's world. JMO.
It’s Catherine's ring now and, from what I’ve seen, she’s in love with her ring.

Now I think she needs a diamond and sapphire set to go a long with it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-11-2017, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

She has access to those diamond/sapphire sets....Diana's! She's just not worn them yet.

LaRae
Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It’s Catherine's ring now and, from what I’ve seen, she’s in love with her ring.
That's what I said, I think. Please don't make this about anything other than what it is: a discussion of a ring, a thing. This is not about Diana, a person. Just saying.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't understand why the ring would be considered 'out of sync' or how it looks 'odd in today's world'?

There's plenty of honking big stoned rings out there....and all types of settings.

LaRae
Old 10-11-2017, 11:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't understand why the ring would be considered 'out of sync' or how it looks 'odd in today's world'?

There's plenty of honking big stoned rings out there....and all types of settings. LaRae
That's okay, Pranter. That's what makes the world go round. Different points of view. Not sure why this should stop the clocks on the thread and require responses. My view is pretty banal. Lots of people think this way about inherited jewelry. In fact, re-setting can be seen as a norm.

As for Kate's style, I see her as a minimalist. I doubt she would have chosen such a large ring given the freedom to choose, but like I said, the history of the ring and William's affection for it (his mother's memory), likely played a role in her accepting it. Anyway, it's a long ago done deal. It is what it is. Kate is happy (we guess) with it. Full stop.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 AM
Majesty

I agree. Nothing of her taste in her personal jewels shows an affinity for large stones. Other then her large pearls she wore in France. Even her larger jewelry is usually made of smaller stones.

I think she appreciates the sentiment. And is touched to be given the ring

But I think if the ring had been off the table, like if Harry had it, Kate would have preferred something smaller, more minimal. You can have quite a large stone without it being clunky and impractical like this.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:04 AM
Heir Apparent

It's odd that a response would be made? I mean that is what we do here...discuss things right? Other folks giving their views.

I would think everyone would agree that ring is all about it having been his mother's ring and the sentiment would probably outweigh, at least for some women, it being such a big stone. I'm sure Kate knew in advance that was going to be the ring so I am guessing she must of been okay with it as well.

LaRae
Old 10-12-2017, 12:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
She has access to those diamond/sapphire sets....Diana's! She's just not worn them yet.

LaRae
I know, and I think she will look good in that suite. It seems like Catherine is really getting into her mother-in-law’s jewelry now though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I know, and I think she will look good in that suite. It seems like Catherine is really getting into her mother-in-law’s jewelry now though.
We've seen...hmmmm 3 or 4 pieces so far? I just remember the earrings and pearl bracelet (not counting the Knot Tiara and the engagement ring).

She will look fabulous in those sets of sapphires/diamonds.

LaRae
Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 AM
Majesty

I'd love to see Catherine in some emeralds. Diana's emerald choker would look beautiful with her dark hair.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Majesty

IMO we are more likely to see her emeralds on Harry's wife. I think Kate will stick with the sapphires.

But if you're talking about her art deco choker, that belongs to the queen. Returned to the vaults.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I agree. Nothing of her taste in her personal jewels shows an affinity for large stones. Other then her large pearls she wore in France. Even her larger jewelry is usually made of smaller stones.

I think she appreciates the sentiment. And is touched to be given the ring

But I think if the ring had been off the table, like if Harry had it, Kate would have preferred something smaller, more minimal. You can have quite a large stone without it being clunky and impractical like this.
William and Harry were able to choose a keepsake from their mother's jewels, presumably before they were secured until they were of an age or married. William chose his mother's favourite watch, Harry her engagement ring. I read somewhere that years later they decided whoever married first would have the option of whether or not to give to their fiance.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:34 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
A lot of people wear their sentimental rings in different ways that suit them the best. Now, if I were going to a coronation, I would wear (from the base of the left ring finger up) my diamond eternity band, my gold wedding band (engraved) and then my diamond solitaire. On the right ring finger I would wear my three stone past, present and future diamond ring. For everyday wear I have a wide comfort fit gold wedding band that I use.

All the rings have sentimental value to me as I imagine Kate's do too. There just isn't a set way that they have to be worn and like everything else, its good to mix things up once in a while.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting. Maybe it's because I have not been into jewelry, and certainly not rings, that all this is news to me. (My wedding/engagement rings are minimalist in the extreme and in fact I rarely wear them).

I got curious about the 'eternity' ring concept and this is what wiki says: "The concept of the diamond eternity ring was created in the 1960s by diamond merchant De Beers." LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternity_ring

I definitely have heard about a ring set with one's children's birthstones, and as I think about it I have seen ads for the 'eternity' ring, but as I pretty much surmised, like the history of the engagement ring, it's pretty much a recent trend.

Looks like Kate's 'eternity' ring is a simple very narrow band. That's in keeping with her style to my mind. (BTW I have heard of 'protector' rings, meant to hold the wedding band or any ring on the finger, I think. That's what Kate's looks like it might do in fact. Utility rather than sentiment but I don't know, of course).
Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'd love to see Catherine in some emeralds. Diana's emerald choker would look beautiful with her dark hair.
Can't remember...has she ever worn any emeralds? I don't recall any but I could of forgotten!

LaRae
Old 10-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Most of the eternity rings I've seen tend to be simple/narrow and usually diamonds around the whole band.

The 'children' rings I've seen now and then, usually contain the birthstone of each child.

Of course a person has to have a certain amount of disposable income to get into eternity rings etc....and a desire to wear more rings. I think the birthstone/kids rings are more affordable though..seems like I saw them a couple years ago when one of my girls was looking at wedding sets.

LaRae
Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Can't remember...has she ever worn any emeralds? I don't recall any but I could of forgotten!

LaRae
She has a regular pair of emerald and diamond earrings she occasionally wears. She was also seen in a pair of emerald and diamond chandelier earrings set in yellow gold at a fund raiser in NY whilst pregnant with Charlotte.