The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
In the article it states: "Kate's only other jewelry for the evening was her usual set of rings: engagement ring, wedding ring, and eternity band."

When did she get the eternity band? Occasion? From William? Anyone know? Do we have a picture of it?

Old 10-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
In the article it states: "Kate's only other jewelry for the evening was her usual set of rings: engagement ring, wedding ring, and eternity band."

When did she get the eternity band? Occasion? From William? Anyone know? Do we have a picture of it?
Its a very thin eternity band she wears, and has for some time. Its source is unknown, but it is speculated that it is from William.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Majesty

I'm pretty sure she got the eternity band after George was born.

LaRae
Old 10-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Its a very thin eternity band she wears, and has for some time. Its source is unknown, but it is speculated that it is from William.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'm pretty sure she got the eternity band after George was born.LaRae
Thank you, Muriel and Pranter. Makes sense that it would be from William at the birth of George. Nice.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Majesty

It's too bad she doesn't wear it on her right hand so it can be seen better...but I'm sure she isn't worried about us seeing it or not <G>

LaRae
Old 10-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I love all her Kiki McDonough jewelry. I have gone to her website and just sat and drooled.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It's too bad she doesn't wear it on her right hand so it can be seen better...but I'm sure she isn't worried about us seeing it or not <G>

LaRae
I though an eternity ring was supposed to be worn on the same hand/finger as the wedding and engagement rings. Why would she wear it on her right hand?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Majesty

I don't know...why do some folks wear their wedding rings on their right hands? It's more common overseas ...here it's not done.

LaRae
Old 10-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:

LaRae
I wear mine on the same finger with my engagement and wedding rings--that's fairly standard AFAIK
I thought she got her ring for her birthday in 2014-that's about when she started wearing it
Old 10-11-2017, 07:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I remember it being identified - here's the source: https://whatkatewore.com/2014/05/20/...al-tour-polls/
I have seen pics, where she was shopping where she was wearing only her wedding band and eternity ring. I can understand because her engagement ring is huge and would get in the way fro everyday use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I wear mine on the same finger with my engagement and wedding rings--that's fairly standard AFAIK
I thought she got her ring for her birthday in 2014-that's about when she started wearing it
I wear my wedding band, engagement ring and eternity band like Kate - I think that is how it's traditionally worn.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Aristocracy

Diana had an Eternity Ring. Sometimes she wore it on her right hand and sometimes she wore with her other rings on left hand.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't understand why Kate's wedding ring is yellow gold, when her engagement ring and that eternity ring are both white gold!
Why not have them all the same?

(Maybe it's me, but I don't like mixing the color of the metals).
Old 10-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Majesty

The band is made from Welsh gold that all the BRF brides (since at least the Duke/Duchess of York married...speaking of the parents of QEII) have a ring made from (I assume Diana's is with the boys)..so it's yellow. Perhaps Kate's personal preference is white gold hence the others being that color.

LaRae
Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 PM
Majesty

The wedding band is made of Welsh gold. There isn't much of it left but all the royal wedding rings are made of it.

Traditionally in the Uk, eternity rings were given for the first anniversary. Order on wedding finger is (from the base up - wedding ring, eternity ring, engagement ring. But these days those traditions are v flexible and more dependent on the comfort factor of the size and shape of the rings.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The band is made from Welsh gold that all the BRF brides (since at least the Duke/Duchess of York married...speaking of the parents of QEII) have a ring made from (I assume Diana's is with the boys)..so it's yellow. Perhaps Kate's personal preference is white gold hence the others being that color.

LaRae
Her engagement ring is either white gold or platinum since it was Diana's and wasn't altered, so I'm guessing not a choice. Kate wears earrings in both colors, not sure either color dominates to assume a preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The wedding band is made of Welsh gold. There isn't much of it left but all the royal wedding rings are made of it.

Traditionally in the Uk, eternity rings were given for the first anniversary. Order on wedding finger is (from the base up - wedding ring, eternity ring, engagement ring. But these days those traditions are v flexible and more dependent on the comfort factor of the size and shape of the rings.
From photos I've seen, it appears Kate wears her wedding ring first, (closest to her palm) engagement ring second, and lastly her eternity band.
I wear my eternity ring first, wedding ring second and engagement ring last.
Like cepe said, it is pretty flexible these days how you wear your rings.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
I remember it being identified - here's the source: https://whatkatewore.com/2014/05/20/...al-tour-polls/
Seeing the rings up close like that, and one cannot help but notice what a 'clunker' (meaning big as in unwieldy) that engagement ring really is. I recall reading someone's opinion as to why Diana picked it out from the tray of rings. It's really not 'the best' she could have done, but it was likely the biggest ring and would have attracted a teenager's attention. According to this person, the choice of ring was a function of her youth. I can see that.

If I were Kate (which I'm not ) I'd have that ring re-set, possibly even re-cut. There are so many more beautiful ways that ring could look and blend with her other rings and her everyday life. JMO.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Love the blue topaz earrings, she looks great in them
Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Love the blue topaz earrings, she looks great in them
Agree. I took someone's hint and looked up the jeweler: https://kiki.co.uk She does lovely work, and I, too, was 'drooling'. (I am finding as I age I am acquiring an appreciation of jewelry. Even just a few years ago I couldn't be bothered with jewels. Now I am coming to like the sparkly things. Wonder what that's a function of?)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
From photos I've seen, it appears Kate wears her wedding ring first, (closest to her palm) engagement ring second, and lastly her eternity band.
I think because Kate’s engagement ring is so huge and ungainly, she uses the eternity band as a security to keep it in place.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Seeing the rings up close like that, and one cannot help but notice what a 'clunker' (meaning big as in unwieldy) that engagement ring really is. I recall reading someone's opinion as to why Diana picked it out from the tray of rings. It's really not 'the best' she could have done, but it was likely the biggest ring and would have attracted a teenager's attention. According to this person, the choice of ring was a function of her youth. I can see that.

If I were Kate (which I'm not ) I'd have that ring re-set, possibly even re-cut. There are so many more beautiful ways that ring could look and blend with her other rings and her everyday life. JMO.
I agree that ring is rather large. I imagine she doesn't wear it to play with her children around the house. But oh my, what a fuss there would be if she had it recut and reset. And it might hurt William's feelings.