The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't even remember the bears from Canada lol

LaRae
Pranter, here is a link to the bears: Kate's Jewelry Box: The Polar Bear Brooch | The Court Jeweller

Old 07-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah..well a shame not something more identifiable with Canada.

LaRae

Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

LaRae

And you'll note she has yet to wear them.
(I'm not a bit surprised).
Old 07-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Do we know who made the decision on polar bears?

LaRae
Old 07-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I would love to know how that works. It would be great if Angela Kelly would write a book sometime describing this.

I would be surprised if Angela Kelly doesn't manage a lot of it herself- would make sense for her to coordinate with the stylists for the other royal women with regard to the jewel collection
Old 07-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Do we know who made the decision on polar bears?

LaRae

Probably the regional government of the Northwest Territory.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

LaRae
Polar bears are quite identifiable with Canada.

The brooches were not a gift from Canada. They were a gift from the north west territories. The government chose a polar bear which is a symbol of their territory. It was to remind the couple of their visit to that territory. Now if they visited Saskatchewan and got a polar bear that would be a tad odd.

Government of the Northwest Territories logo, free vector logos - Vector.me

Considering the cost of the diamonds, from a mind in the territory and made by a top jeweller, the government had the right to choose what symbol. It's a large territory but tiny population. And a very pricy gift
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Polar bears are quite identifiable with Canada.

Considering the cost of the diamonds, from a mind in the territory and made by a top jeweller, the government had the right to choose what symbol. It's a large territory but tiny population. And a very pricy gift

Exactly!
That's the point- it's a pricey gift- that Kate does not wear!

In other words, a huge waste of money.
Why not choose something attractive, that she would enjoy wearing? That is my objection.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen has visited Canada 22 times. The Cambridges have already visited twice in six years. Kate will be back in the Northwest Territory in the future and then the polar bear will be seen again.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Exactly!
That's the point- it's a pricey gift- that Kate does not wear!

In other words, a huge waste of money.
Why not choose something attractive, that she would enjoy wearing? That is my objection.
Perhaps the government thought it attractive. Beauty in eye if beholder.

Perhaps they thought it was most important to symbolize their people and land. To remind the couple.

Perhaps they thought Kate would show the good grace to wear a gift at least on another visit.

Really there is nothing awful about it. Or too out there considering the bugs and other brooches royals wear.

The point was a gift to remind her of the territory. Not some pretty bauble in her jewelry case that she may wear every few years which no one will remember where it came from.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:41 AM
Courtier

I liked the polar bears when I saw them, and I still like them.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I like the polar bears too. I think they are very sweet. Gorgeous, in fact. I don't think Kate wears very many brooches though, and that's a pity.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Aristocracy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The Queen has visited Canada 22 times. The Cambridges have already visited twice in six years. Kate will be back in the Northwest Territory in the future and then the polar bear will be seen again.
I agree, she'll wear the bear brooch when she's back there for a visit, even though she rarely wears pins/brooches. I personally really like the polar bears.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see the point of jewelry that Kate will keep in the box, until such time as she has to wear it (probably gritting her teeth the whole time).

Others may feel differently; that's why I hope the Polish government gives her something she really likes, and will happily wear often.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see the point of jewelry that Kate will keep in the box, until such time as she has to wear it (probably gritting her teeth the whole time).

Others may feel differently; that's why I hope the Polish government gives her something she really likes, and will happily wear often.
The Queen has lots of jewelry that were diplomatic gifts rather than personal gifts. Kate now has begun her collection of diplomatic gift jewelry with several pieces.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Gentry

Quote:

How would anyone know what "she really likes" unless they know her personally. Governments design gifts that represent their country. Polar bears are representative of Canada. They had a polar bear brooch and cuff links made to present to their visitors. The visitors have not yet worn the pieces. That does not mean presenting the pieces was a mistake. The Duke and Duchess will visit Canada many many times over the coming years and they will wear these pieces, eventually. It doesn't make sense to act as if Kate is disrespecting Canada by not yet wearing the brooch she was given.

I believe the Polish government gave the Duke and Duchess some amber pieces. I thought the necklace was lovely. We may see the piece worn by Kate or we may never see it. It's really not that important. The gift was given and it was accepted. What happens after is up to the people involved. No need to get our panties in a bunch.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The Queen has lots of jewelry that were diplomatic gifts rather than personal gifts. Kate now has begun her collection of diplomatic gift jewelry with several pieces.

Yes, and we know the ones the Queen really likes, such as the Brazilian aquamarines. Because she wears them so frequently.

But I've said enough.
I'd love to see the amber gifts that were mentioned; any photos?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Majesty

Cambridge Tour of Poland: Engagements in Gdansk | The Court Jeweller

A stunning pair of earrings. An exquisite look.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

LOVE that set of amber in gold...

LaRae
Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Serene Highness

I saw a great deal of Amber jewellery in Poland, but never [as I recall] any 'milky' Amber..
one of the nicest things about it is its 'glow', which Catherine's set seems to lack...