The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2017, 08:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm still bummed about the Swan Lake set being gone....that was gorgeous.

LaRae

Old 07-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Courtier

I think Charlotte may be loaned a tiara, and possibly have one purchased for her, like Princess Margaret, because as her jewels are pasted down her family, the further, and further they move away from the monarchy. Jewels belonging to Camilla will also come into play due to the fact she has non royal children that should rightfully inherit her personal jewels. It will be the jewels from Charles that will be the issue. If he bought them for her, they could go to her children, if they belonged to QEQM, they should remain in the royal family. Quite the quagmire.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'm still bummed about the Swan Lake set being gone....that was gorgeous.

LaRae
What happened to it? Do you have any photos? I can tell just by the name that it was probably exquisite!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I guess I don't understand the quagmire...if they are gifts from Charles to Camilla then they are hers to do whatever she wants with...however anything belonging to the Monarchy will go back or remain there. I don't imagine Charles is going to gift Camilla with anything belonging to the Monarchy.

LaRae
Old 07-14-2017, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
What happened to it? Do you have any photos? I can tell just by the name that it was probably exquisite!
On the Block: Diana's Swan Lake Suite | The Court Jeweller

LaRae
Old 07-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Majesty

Oh yes...now I remember! Such an exquisite set but of jewelry.

But the woman it was purchased for after Diana's death didn't want to wear it because of it's sad history and I get the feeling that Harry and William would not want it for their wives for probably the same reason.

It's a shame because it really is lovely.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Heir Apparent

I know...I just love it (and the earrings) ....but she wasn't wearing it when she died so I don't see anything tragic tied to it really anymore than her engagement ring. But that's me.

LaRae
Old 07-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Most of the stuff the Queen wears is her private jewelry that she was either gifted as a personal present for her wedding etc or stuff she inherited from her mother and Queen Mary. Because to the monarch to monarch transfer being inheritance tax free including stuff from widowed consorts, Charles is going to get the bulk of the Queen's jewelry then William. In time the jewelry William inherited from his mother and the jewelry acquired by Kate will be added to this private collection. It's still privately owned. George is going to get most of the jewelry with Charlotte getting some but it doesn't make sense to give her ownership of many item because her children aren't going to be royal and aren't going to need tiara's besides a wedding day.

So the bulk of the jewelry stays the private possession of the monarch. Just like Balmoral and Sandringham, the Queen could leave the estates to Andrew and Edward if she wanted but they will end up being sold to pay the taxes on them and they can't afford to maintain them. Charles would get them tax free. Plus he has the income to maintain them that's why they are passed down from monarch to monarch.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I know...I just love it (and the earrings) ....but she wasn't wearing it when she died so I don't see anything tragic tied to it really anymore than her engagement ring. But that's me.

LaRae
I think some might consider it kind of sad because it was the last set of major bling she appeared in before she died, and the entire suite wasn't even completed until after she died.

That's the only reason I can think of why the Spencers and the her sons decided to sell it off.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I think some might consider it kind of sad because it was the last set of major bling she appeared in before she died, and the entire suite wasn't even completed until after she died.

That's the only reason I can think of why the Spencers and the her sons decided to sell it off.
Ok my understanding is that since Diana hadn't paid for them she never owned them, the jeweler then sold them. It wasn't up to the Spencers/W&H.

LaRae
Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Ok my understanding is that since Diana hadn't paid for them she never owned them, the jeweler then sold them. It wasn't up to the Spencers/W&H.
Yes. My understanding is that she was just "trying them out" when she wore them and the suite had not even been completed. Money never changed hands and the jeweler sold it to someone who eventually put it up for auction. So, really, the Swan thing was never even a part of Diana's jewelry collection.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Right that's the senario I heard... the jeweler had advanced the necklace to her (she commissioned the set) but payment wouldn't of been expected until the whole thing was done (he was working on the earrings)...he finished the suite after her death and sold them.

LaRae
Old 07-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I think Charlotte may be loaned a tiara, and possibly have one purchased for her, like Princess Margaret, because as her jewels are pasted down her family, the further, and further they move away from the monarchy. Jewels belonging to Camilla will also come into play due to the fact she has non royal children that should rightfully inherit her personal jewels. It will be the jewels from Charles that will be the issue. If he bought them for her, they could go to her children, if they belonged to QEQM, they should remain in the royal family. Quite the quagmire.

Well... not really a quagmire. I mean, you just stated the different ways the jewelry should be treated right there. I would be very surprised if Camilla's will was not set up so that royal pieces stay with the royal family and private pieces to to her children.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Somebody a few pages back said that Catherine wasn't wearing the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, but Queen Mary's Lover's Knot. She's wearing the same tiara Diana wore for years, and the Queen before her, and Queen Mary before her. It's posts like that, which make people confused and lead to false information.

Actually the person who made that post is perfectly correct, the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara was given to Princess Augusta, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg Strelitz née Princess of Cambridge.
Queen Mary had a copy made for herself which is the Lovers Knot Tiara that the Duchess of Cambridge wears today.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Gentry

Lets hope Harry future wife gets the sapphire pearl choker since Kate has the big blue and the lover knot tiara and the earrings that goes perfectly well with it.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

The lovers knot wasn't Diana's and it isn't Kate's. It belongs to the Queen.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The lovers knot wasn't Diana's and it isn't Kate's. It belongs to the Queen.
I know but its highly associated with Diana. Every time Kate wears it, it reminds us of Diana. Just saying I hope the famous sapphire and pearl choker is for Harry's future wife.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
I know but its highly associated with Diana. Every time Kate wears it, it reminds us of Diana. Just saying I hope the famous sapphire and pearl choker is for Harry's future wife.
I imagine Harry's future wife will be allowed to borrow any piece of jewelry she wishes but it will never "belong" to her, it will belong to the Queen and later to King Charles and King William. And the only reason most people are reminded of Diana when Kate wears the Cambridge Knot is because the newspapers insist on pointing it out. It belongs to the Queen who used to wear it often during the 50s and 60s.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
All of QEQMs jewellery - including the Greville bequest were left to HMQ.

The Delhi Durbar tiara is part of the Royal jewels held by HMQ

Camilla has these jewels for her life time, and then they return to the Monarch

Any personal jewels - The Shand tiara, some of her brooches, personal gifts from PoW - she can dispose of as she wishes.

HMQ is now v strict about lending rather than giving any of the royal jewels.

Same applies to Catherine - she has on loan royal jewels such as the Lovers Knot Tiara - and they stay in the royal collection. Her other jewels, (diamond ruby necklace (worn with black velvet gown), "Olympic" Cartier necklace, all the kiki stuff) she can leave to whom she wants - probably Charlotte.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana had private jewellery that she may have inherited from her family and that Charles gave to her as his wife not as a future sovereign, and that jewellery will, hopefully, be shared between her sons' wives.