Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Interesting. Maybe it's because I have not been into jewelry, and certainly not rings, that all this is news to me. (My wedding/engagement rings are minimalist in the extreme and in fact I rarely wear them). :flowers:

I got curious about the 'eternity' ring concept and this is what wiki says: "The concept of the diamond eternity ring was created in the 1960s by diamond merchant De Beers." LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternity_ring

I definitely have heard about a ring set with one's children's birthstones, and as I think about it I have seen ads for the 'eternity' ring, but as I pretty much surmised, like the history of the engagement ring, it's pretty much a recent trend.

Looks like Kate's 'eternity' ring is a simple very narrow band. That's in keeping with her style to my mind. (BTW I have heard of 'protector' rings, meant to hold the wedding band or any ring on the finger, I think. That's what Kate's looks like it might do in fact. Utility rather than sentiment but I don't know, of course).

Last edited:
I'd love to see Catherine in some emeralds. Diana's emerald choker would look beautiful with her dark hair. :flowers:

Can't remember...has she ever worn any emeralds? I don't recall any but I could of forgotten!

LaRae

Most of the eternity rings I've seen tend to be simple/narrow and usually diamonds around the whole band.

The 'children' rings I've seen now and then, usually contain the birthstone of each child.

Of course a person has to have a certain amount of disposable income to get into eternity rings etc....and a desire to wear more rings. I think the birthstone/kids rings are more affordable though..seems like I saw them a couple years ago when one of my girls was looking at wedding sets.

LaRae

Can't remember...has she ever worn any emeralds? I don't recall any but I could of forgotten!

LaRae
She has a regular pair of emerald and diamond earrings she occasionally wears. She was also seen in a pair of emerald and diamond chandelier earrings set in yellow gold at a fund raiser in NY whilst pregnant with Charlotte.

Most of the eternity rings I've seen tend to be simple/narrow and usually diamonds around the whole band.

The 'children' rings I've seen now and then, usually contain the birthstone of each child.

Of course a person has to have a certain amount of disposable income to get into eternity rings etc....and a desire to wear more rings. I think the birthstone/kids rings are more affordable though..seems like I saw them a couple years ago when one of my girls was looking at wedding sets.

LaRae
In the UK, eternity bands tend to be given after 7 years of marriage or after the birth of a child. Most tend to be diamonds only, though not exclusively so!

She has a regular pair of emerald and diamond earrings she occasionally wears. She was also seen in a pair of emerald and diamond chandelier earrings set in yellow gold at a fund raiser in NY whilst pregnant with Charlotte.

Totally forgotten them! Thanks!

LaRae

William and Harry were able to choose a keepsake from their mother's jewels, presumably before they were secured until they were of an age or married. William chose his mother's favourite watch, Harry her engagement ring. I read somewhere that years later they decided whoever married first would have the option of whether or not to give to their fiance.

I am aware of that. I was saying if that was not the case, proposing an alternate reality that the ring had been claimed by Harry, and Kate had to have a new ring. My point was if she had to have a new ring, would she choose a huge clunking stone or something more streamline?? IMO something more streamline, based on her jewelry tastes. She loves her ring IMO because of who it belonged to, the sentiment, more then the actual ring.

I am aware of that. I was saying if that was not the case, proposing an alternate reality that the ring had been claimed by Harry, and Kate had to have a new ring. My point was if she had to have a new ring, would she choose a huge clunking stone or something more streamline?? IMO something more streamline, based on her jewelry tastes. She loves her ring IMO because of who it belonged to, the sentiment, more then the actual ring.
That, IMO, is in the realm of pure speculation!

Isnt that what we do on this and every thread, speculate :ermm:

Unless you have insider information, anything is speculation. Notice I stated IMO more then once. I never stated it as fact. I thought that was what we are here for, to discus. Perhaps I am wrong. It is my Opinion, based on her personal taste in jewelry she has worn since marriage.

Last edited:

To claim she loves it is also 'pure' speculation. :flowers: We just don't know, but we do know her taste and style, and from that one can make reasonable guesses regarding affinities, which I think is being done. Nothing the poster floated is beyond the pale of reasonable possibility. IMO. It's a high status ring because of it's associations. It may be 'loved' for that alone, not because it's a 'pretty ring' and a ring one would pick out oneself for oneself. She may be wearing it solely to please her husband. We don't know.

Last edited:
Isnt that what we do on this and every thread, speculate :ermm:

Unless you have insider information, anything is speculation. Notice I stated IMO more then once. I never stated it as fact. I thought that was what we are here for, to discus. Perhaps I am wrong. It is my Opinion, based on her personal taste in jewelry she has worn since marriage.

I don't believe I was either doubting your opinion, or that it was your opinion. My statement was just a statement of fact which in itself is not inconsistent with your opinion. So all in all, not sure I see a reason for the rather defensive comments from you!

To claim she loves it is also 'pure' speculation. :flowers:

I don't believe I have suggested either way as to whether Catherine likes her ring or not. As you say later in the post, we just don't know!

We just don't know, but we do know her taste and style, and from that one can make reasonable guesses regarding affinities, which I think is being done. Nothing the poster floated is beyond the pale of reasonable possibility. IMO. It's a high status ring because of it's associations. It may be 'loved' for that alone, not because it's a 'pretty ring' and a ring one would pick out oneself for oneself. She may be wearing it solely to please her husband. We don't know.

Could not agree more with you!

New [?] Bracelet tonight, I don't think this has been seen before ?

Last edited by a moderator:
New [?] Bracelet tonight, I don't think this has been seen before ?

Probably one of The Queen’s bracelets. She wears so many over gloves.

She's worn those earrings before too as I recall. Very nice.

LaRae

I knew the bracelet was a loan Fromm the Queen. Yes, she wore The Queen’s earrings before too.

EDIT: Loaned bracelet, not new.

Love those earrings. So elegant.

LaRae

This is an absolutely gorgeous diamond bracelet, nice and big but appears light as well. Nothing like a really big diamond bracelet to perk up an outfit

The necklace makes me sad because of the beautiful tiara it belonged with.

The Burmese rubies are beautiful, but I hate that this tiara was taken apart to make the ruby tiara. The original tiara was far more beautiful IMO. If they wanted a new ruby tiara, I wish they had simply made one.

So sad the Nizam tiara is gone. Lovely piece.

LaRae

The necklace makes me sad because of the beautiful tiara it belonged with.

The Burmese rubies are beautiful, but I hate that this tiara was taken apart to make the ruby tiara. The original tiara was far more beautiful IMO. If they wanted a new ruby tiara, I wish they had simply made one.
At The Court Jeweler several commentators suggested that instead of dismantling the Nizam tiara to make the Ruby one they should have used the rubies to make new brooches to fit into the existing tiara much as Queen Mary's Honeysuckle Tiara (now with the Gloucesters) has interchangeable elements. I think that is a marvelous idea and hope that maybe someone will suggest it to Charles when the time comes - presupposing the Nizam frame still exists in the vaults of course.

She has some great jewelry!

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom