The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
We don't have to agree, that is fine. It's just that you don't seem to be able to explain yourself. Why can't Kate be compared to the Queen Mother or Maxima? Is this because of a double standard? Or is it that she just has to be criticised for the sake of it?
". . . criticized for the sake of it . ." BINGO!! The Duchess looked amazing; beautiful dress; perfect color; great hat, yet there are people who have to find something, anything, to criticize her for or their day is not complete. If her dress is not too short, then it's too long. If her hair is pinned up then it should be down. She wears a beautiful pair of diamond earrings but she should have worn pearls. I'm done.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
Simply comparisons are futile;

Queen Maxima is from South America where fashions etc are different .

The Queen Mother wore jewels as in days gone by.
I repeat myself never wore long pendant diamond earrings to Trooping the Colour, so pointless to compare.
Maxima is the Queen of the Netherlands, and had lived there for around 15 years.

The Queen Mother wore diamond pendant earrings most days, including the Trooping.

Where is the debate?

Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally, I love the diamonds. Can't go wrong with them.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Catherine looked stunning with the diamond earrings for the Trooping. I would suggest she even wear some diamond brooches during the day and night whenever she can. She always look good in diamonds. Hell, I think women and men look good in diamonds.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

The diamond earrings were a lovely addition to her TTC look IMO.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Loved the Duchess of Cambridge appearance at the Trooping

Nice to see her branching out with her own style of jewellery for the event.

There are no rules and I like that!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not into who wore what diamonds etc etc. But I think maybe this wasn't the time to go all out with diamonds. The things that are happening now in London are truly heartbreaking so many dead so many homeless those diamonds are worth enough to house them etc. I'm not a republican but can understand how a lot of people are feeling. Anyway sorry OT.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I'm not into who wore what diamonds etc etc. But I think maybe this wasn't the time to go all out with diamonds. The things that are happening now in London are truly heartbreaking so many dead so many homeless those diamonds are worth enough to house them etc. I'm not a republican but can understand how a lot of people are feeling. Anyway sorry OT.
The Queen, Camilla and probably others wore diamonds. The Queen wears diamonds to memorial services, even to the funeral of her mother and sister.

I think that what people on here are feeling is that they just don't like Catherine.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
And yet other people complain that Kate usually wears (good) costume jewelry and doesn't buy new diamond or other precious gem jewelry instead.
She can't make everyone happy.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Then perhaps everybody should have worn black and pearls.

The thing about "what's happening now in London" and Paris and around the world is that there are nasty people trying their best to scare us and make us all hide away like frighten animals. Instead, the Trooping of the Colors went on the way it has always gone on and the royals dressed the way they always dressed and wore the jewelry they always wear because that's what the people want to see. You can't stop living because people die. Life goes on. It has to.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hadn't been aware of what a perky nose Kate has. You can really see it in this picture. Wonder which of her children will inherit that feature? Definite divergence from the Windsor/Spencer nose as shown by William. Might skip a generation, though.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think either of them have Kate's nose. Maybe a future child will favor Kate more.

LaRae
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Wierdly, not OT as the day started totally different to any other trooping of the colour with HM's "solomn message to the nation", that began with these words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERII
Today is traditionally a day of celebration. This year, however, it is difficult to escape a very sombre national mood.
Since the entire contretemps was caused by my post I feel I should once again restate my opinion that Catherine did not seem to get the memo to dress down. Everyone else was quite reserved and not a little sombre in both in dress and jewellery. In contrast, Catherine's diamond drops were OTT.

As to HM's Diamond Brooch"
Quote:
For the past 26 years, HM's been wearing the same brooch: the Guards Brooch, which features the badges of the five Household Regiments (the Coldstream Guards, the Grenadier Guards, the Irish Guards, the Scots Guards, and the Welsh Guards). HM's brooch being handed down from Queen Mary.
It was too late to cancel the Trooping of the Colour but restraint was followed by the BRF as dictated by HM.

For the record, I liked Catherine's ensemble, it's one of the most attractive colours I have seen her wear. However, I am still of the opinion that those particular diamond drops are better paired with a diamond tiara than a natty pink hat, just as her pink ensemble would have been better debuted at Ascot or some such.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't think either of them have Kate's nose. Maybe a future child will favor Kate more. LaRae
Or a grandchild.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It is one thing to have the opinion that the diamond pendant earrings were inappropriate in one's eyes which is a valid opinion. It is another thing to throw in random off the wall reasons why.

Statements that its OK for Maxima because of her "flamboyant" heritage or an Empress is much more suitable for diamonds than a Princess or the allusion that diamonds negate the mood that should have been or even the earrings violate a supposed "Windsor" dress code. That is grasping at straws to make a point with illogical reasoning and does a lot to invalidate the opinion.

I wear diamond drop earrings grocery shopping, going to the bank and even with sweatpants and t-shirts. Why? Simple. I like them.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It is one thing to have the opinion that the diamond pendant earrings were inappropriate in one's eyes which is a valid opinion. It is another thing to throw in random off the wall reasons why.

Statements that its OK for Maxima because of her "flamboyant" heritage or an Empress is much more suitable for diamonds than a Princess or the allusion that diamonds negate the mood that should have been or even the earrings violate a supposed "Windsor" dress code. That is grasping at straws to make a point with illogical reasoning and does a lot to invalidate the opinion.

I wear diamond drop earrings grocery shopping, going to the bank and even with sweatpants and t-shirts. Why? Simple. I like them.

Diamond drop earrings forever! I prefer diamond studs for myself, but love them on others.

And I agree- disliking them from a fashion standpoint is fine, though I disagree and thought they made the whole outfit. But disliking them for a bunch of weird, made up reasons? Rather silly way of saying someone dislikes the wearer.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Diamond drop earrings forever! I prefer diamond studs for myself, but love them on others.

And I agree- disliking them from a fashion standpoint is fine, though I disagree and thought they made the whole outfit. But disliking them for a bunch of weird, made up reasons? Rather silly way of saying someone dislikes the wearer.

I hope you are not meaning me "weird made up reasons " nearly 100 people burnt to death I don't know how many are in hospital and how many are homeless so I just thought not a good time to roll out the diamonds.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 AM
Aristocracy

I think the Cambridges have donated money to the fund that supposed to help the victims, it wasn't their fault that any of the tragedies happened. Did you stop wearing your expensive clothes or your jewellery since the tragedies happened? I guess not...
Old 06-20-2017, 02:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
I think the Cambridges have donated money to the fund that supposed to help the victims, it wasn't their fault that any of the tragedies happened. Did you stop wearing your expensive clothes or your jewellery since the tragedies happened? I guess not...

I'm not royal !!!!!!!! Honestly
Old 06-20-2017, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I hope you are not meaning me "weird made up reasons " nearly 100 people burnt to death I don't know how many are in hospital and how many are homeless so I just thought not a good time to roll out the diamonds.
I agree we have had a pretty torrid time in the UK on the last few weeks: Manchester, London Bridge, Finsbury Park, Grenfell Tower, the shock election results. ...... But, none of this has impacted the way the Queen dresses. Note her bright blue dress and elaborate brooch when she visited the victims of Grenfell or her bright blue and orange clothes when she was in Manchester. I just don't think there is an issue with the tasteful use of jewels.

Of course if Comrade Corbyn ends up becoming PM, all the jewels cam be packed up, and we might as well shut these forums down