Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the jewelry the Middletons commission for the wedding. What we saw was earrings for Kate, earrings for Pippa which she wore again on her wedding day, acorn tie pins for Mike and James and a necklace and earrings for Carole. I think that's it. If Kate had some sort of matching necklace, we would have seen it by now.

I think we would have seen it by now too. Those kind of pieces are the kind that cannot have any kind of monetary value put on them because for sentimental reasons, they're priceless. The Middletons could have paid $10 a piece for them and they'd mean the same if they cost $10,000.

In the world of jewelry, there is a vast difference between cost and value. That's why I have to laugh when publications put "prices" on things. We may see the cost that someone else could buy the same item for but then again, with a royal wearing a piece, a seller knows that they can mark up the price and get even more for the piece because they're "in demand".

The £300,000 estimate for the engagement ring is especially exaggerated..

Costing £28.000 when bought for Lady Diana Spencer in 1981 the sapphire altho' quite large is a dull blue/black far removed from the deep blue of [say] old Kashmiri stones which would easily justify such a price...

Last edited:
The estimate for the ring is probably an auction price. I could easily see it fetching £300,000 or more at auction

After all it's 'the ring'.

It's probably goes more at an auction. Look at what the Diana dresses, JFK stuff and even Margaret's jewelry all went above the estimates. It's a moot point because the ring isn't going to sold at time in the future,

When they brought up the parure from her parents and said that a parure is pieces that go together they could of meant her parents made the earrings to go with the loan of the Halo tiara, thus in their eyes making it a parure since they go together.

The estimate for the ring is probably an auction price. I could easily see it fetching £300,000 or more at auction

After all it's 'the ring'.

Article goes as far as to say it isn't the auction value. It says the commission value, that at auction it would go for ten times that.

I would love to see Catherine in a sapphire and diamond parure.

I get the impression that the Duchess is still getting used to big jewels. I don't thinks she's quite ready for a full parure. I think she looks young and fresher in the jewels she wears now. Let's wait until she's in her 40s (or even later) for the full Queen Max over-the-top treatment.

Yes me too..and it's not like she doesn't have access to some great ones.

LaRae

:previous: I am sure if she did she would have worn them by now. The jewellery in the later Diana's will gave all of them to "her sons" and as we have seen Catherine has worn some serious royal bling. I think their mother's jewels will not be allocated until after Harry has a wife. It would hardly be fair to do so before which is why I am guessing the collection is largely intact.

:previous: I am sure if she did she would have worn them by now. The jewellery in the later Diana's will gave all of them to "her sons" and as we have seen Catherine has worn some serious royal bling. I think their mother's jewels will not be allocated until after Harry has a wife. It would hardly be fair to do so before which is why I am guessing the collection is largely intact.

She's already worn some of Diana's jewelry though so she does have access to at least some of it. We just don't know which pieces until we see them.

LaRae

She's already worn some of Diana's jewelry though so she does have access to at least some of it. We just don't know which pieces until we see them.

LaRae

Of course, we don't know what jewels Diana left to her sons but I think Kate has access to all of these jewels and, when (and if) Harry marries, his wife will have the same access. It's not like any of the jewels Kate wears from this particular group will be unavailable to Harry. The women will simply be sharing. Kate wouldn't have to be greedy because she has the Queen's jewelry to wear whenever she wants, apparently.

I can see it now. Meghan living in an apartment at KP with Kate practically right next door and doing the girl thing that all young women with kids do.

Other than perhaps a stone from a piece that was Diana's to create an engagement right for Meghan, I do think the wives will swap and share whatever Diana left to her sons. Kind of makes it something extra special and I'm sure Diana would be smiling ear to ear watching her family grow and grow close to each other.

I can see it now. Meghan living in an apartment at KP with Kate practically right next door and doing the girl thing that all young women with kids do.

Other than perhaps a stone from a piece that was Diana's to create an engagement right for Meghan, I do think the wives will swap and share whatever Diana left to her sons. Kind of makes it something extra special and I'm sure Diana would be smiling ear to ear watching her family grow and grow close to each other.

That's been my thought...it is more or less in a 'pool' and either of the wives would be able to borrow it. I hope we start seeing more of it...she had some great pieces.

LaRae

Of course, we don't know what jewels Diana left to her sons but I think Kate has access to all of these jewels and, when (and if) Harry marries, his wife will have the same access. It's not like any of the jewels Kate wears from this particular group will be unavailable to Harry. The women will simply be sharing. Kate wouldn't have to be greedy because she has the Queen's jewelry to wear whenever she wants, apparently.
There have not been too many pieces of Diana's that she has worn. There are several demi-parures, pearls, etc. and since her jewellery was left to her sons it is still there.

It was no surprise to see Catherine wearing sapphire cluster earrings given that they match her engagement ring and also that she would wear the diamond and pearl drops that Diana wore with the Lover's Knot tiara. But, the majority is still unseen.

Should Harry marry Meghan we have no idea as to whether these two women will become bosom buddies or merely friendly relatives and until after the marriage. I don't believe that Catherine has steady access to the collection at all and those pieces she has worn would have been agreed upon by Harry.

Its possible given her ring and earrings she has worn, Kate will be given the sapphire pieces. And Meghan the other stones. Or they may mix. Meghan may get a larger share since Kate will one day have access to the crown jewels and what jewels the queen leaves to the main line and doesn't give to anne or her granddaughters. Who knows. We wont know until the time comes.

We also don't know that Kate and Meghan will be close. They may become like sisters. They may become close friends. They may simply be civil to each other for the sake of their husbands and kids. Not all sister in laws get along.

Other than perhaps a stone from a piece that was Diana's to create an engagement right for Meghan, I do think the wives will swap and share whatever Diana left to her sons.

That would be fine for now.
But things might get sticky for the next generation.
Which of Diana's grand-daughters (assuming there are more than just Charlotte) would get what?

It might have to be spelled out!

This is a terrible thing to say, but I have always found that ring to be ugly. I think the shape is clunky, and I hate the big gold prongs holding the sapphire.

And you're right about the color, Wyevale. It's dull.

The sapphire ring (Diana's engagement/Kate's) isn't really about the stone...it's more about the sentimental value.

LaRae

Last edited:
That would be fine for now.
But things might get sticky for the next generation.
Which of Diana's grand-daughters (assuming there are more than just Charlotte) would get what?

It might have to be spelled out!

I would imagine that will be handled privately by Harry and William if it comes to giving pieces individually to their heirs. It might just be kept in a family trust for their use...who knows.

LaRae

In the article it states: "Kate's only other jewelry for the evening was her usual set of rings: engagement ring, wedding ring, and eternity band."

When did she get the eternity band? :ermm: Occasion? From William? Anyone know? Do we have a picture of it?

Its a very thin eternity band she wears, and has for some time. Its source is unknown, but it is speculated that it is from William.

I'm pretty sure she got the eternity band after George was born.

LaRae

Its a very thin eternity band she wears, and has for some time. Its source is unknown, but it is speculated that it is from William.

I'm pretty sure she got the eternity band after George was born.LaRae

Thank you, Muriel and Pranter. :flowers: Makes sense that it would be from William at the birth of George. Nice.

It's too bad she doesn't wear it on her right hand so it can be seen better...but I'm sure she isn't worried about us seeing it or not <G>

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom