The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

The earrings were lovely. They did not look a bit jarring with that outfit, although pearls would have worked equally well.
But as Osipi said, perhaps Kate chose them as a gesture of appreciation to the Queen.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
As it was a celebration of the Queen's birthday, perhaps, like a lot of people do, Kate wore those earrings because they're part of a special bond between the Queen and Kate. Perhaps in choosing to wear them, it wasn't a choice because of what she was wearing or the time of the day but because of the occasion.

That's my take on it anyways.

The Queen's Birthday is the 21st June, Trooping the Colour is in commemoration of the Coronation.

These earrings are exceedingly brash with this outfit, pearls would have cooled the whole look down and would have made her more in the mould of an English Princess. One cannot compare her with the late Queen Mother, their styles are poles apart!

The Duchess seems to have a problem with jewels, for a grand evening occasion we see her in costume jewellery then for a daytime event pendant diamond earrings!
She does seem to also have a predilection for semi precious jewelled earrings, but I would love to see her in beautiful pendant pearl earrings, Princess Diana had several pairs, for example her wedding gift earrings from the jewellers Collingwood - perfect for such an occasion.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:31 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
The Queen's Birthday is the 21st June, Trooping the Colour is in commemoration of the Coronation.
Trooping the Colour is the celebration of the Queen's official birthday. Her actual birth date is April 21, 1926
Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:

These earrings are exceedingly brash with this outfit, pearls would have cooled the whole look down and would have made her more in the mould of an English Princess. One cannot compare her with the late Queen Mother, their styles are poles apart!

The Duchess seems to have a problem with jewels, for a grand evening occasion we see her in costume jewellery then for a daytime event pendant diamond earrings!
She does seem to also have a predilection for semi precious jewelled earrings, but I would love to see her in beautiful pendant pearl earrings, Princess Diana had several pairs, for example her wedding gift earrings from the jewellers Collingwood - perfect for such an occasion.
This is a state occassion, and a celebration of HM's birthday.

As I stated further upthread, when Max wears OTTs earrings, that is fine. When Kate wears a tasteful pair, it is considered brash. When she does not wear them, she is criticised for being too boring, and unwilling to use the royal jewels she has. No winning, is there?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
This is a state occassion, and a celebration of HM's birthday.

As I stated further upthread, when Max wears OTTs earrings, that is fine. When Kate wears a tasteful pair, it is considered brash. When she does not wear them, she is criticised for being too boring, and unwilling to use the royal jewels she has. No winning, is there?

Queen Maxima is Argentinian by birth and flamboyant and truly wonderful!
No comparison!
The Duchess of Cambridge would have looked much better without the diamond earrings ! No other Windsor lady was seen with diamond earrings ! It is not the Windsor way and I feel she should pay better attention to this part of her outfit.
The other Windsor Ladies reserve their glitter for the evening.
I'm not saying she did not look beautiful, rather I'm baffled by her jewellery choice !
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I beg to differ on that. HM, The Queen often wears spectacular diamonds during the day in the form of her many, many brooches. No one can compare to the Queen when it comes to the brooch department bling.

Kate felt comfortable wearing the diamond earrings and I think they looked fantastic on her. There really isn't any kind of a dress/jewelry code that they have to adhere to. The earrings are on loan from HM, herself, and Kate proudly wears them. That's good enough for me.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

How are diamond earrings that you could not even see if you where standing on the Mall watching the carriage procession or the balcony brash? There are a thousand soldiers in bright red tunics and bears on their head, two regiments of Calvary with chest plates and plumed helmets on horses at this event and the Duchess of Cambridge's earrings are to showy?

The Queen herself was wearing a diamond covered Brigade of Guards brooch on Saturday.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Aristocracy

The combination of pearls with that particular outfit would have been overly precious and twee. No, she showed good taste in wearing a bolder earring with that pink.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

These diamond earrings are stunning and they are appropriate. I'd wear them any chance I got.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Queen Maxima is Argentinian by birth and flamboyant and truly wonderful!
No comparison!
What is the point you are making? A "flamboyant and truly wonderful" royal can wear pretty OTT jewellery, but a Princess of the UK cannot wear a pair of diamond earrings for a state occasion? Is it because she is usually understated in her dressing?

Quote:
No other Windsor lady was seen with diamond earrings !
The Queen Mother pretty much always wore her diamond earrings, during the day, as did Princess Margaret. Camilla also wears pearl and diamond earrings everyday.

Also for events like the Garter service, HM is not averse to some serious earrings.

Quote:
It is not the Windsor way and I feel she should pay better attention to this part of her outfit.
The other Windsor Ladies reserve their glitter for the evening.
The Windsor way? Surely it is for each Windsor lady to define what works for her personally.

As regards reserving glitter for the evening, as pointed out by other posters, HM herself is rarely seen without a pretty glittering brooch.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Gentry

I'm glad to see Kate wearing important family jewelry at this kind of event. It's fitting, given her age and position. If she was a younger woman, say 22 or even 25, it might be a bit much, but as she's maturing, her personal style is evolving at the same pace. This ensemble and what she wore to her sister's wedding are so perfect for a thirty-something prominent royal lady.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
What is the point you are making? A "flamboyant and truly wonderful" royal can wear pretty OTT jewellery, but a Princess of the UK cannot wear a pair of diamond earrings for a state occasion? Is it because she is usually understated in her dressing?

The Queen Mother pretty much always wore her diamond earrings, during the day, as did Princess Margaret. Camilla also wears pearl and diamond earrings everyday.

Also for events like the Garter service, HM is not averse to some serious earrings.

The Windsor way? Surely it is for each Windsor lady to define what works for her personally.

As regards reserving glitter for the evening, as pointed out by other posters, HM herself is rarely seen without a pretty glittering brooch.

The point I am making is that in my opinion, those earrings were the wrong choice for a day event, it was not the Garter service or the State Opening of Parliament, nor a wedding or jubilee, or a grand church service, but Trooping the Colour. The late Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and the surviving ladies of the Royal Family have never sported a pair of pendant diamond earrings to Trooping the Colour!!!
I am not talking about brooches or any other item of jewellery- only earrings! For generations the Royal Family has worn almost a uniform of pearls, matching earrings and a brooch for daytime events.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The point I am making is that in my opinion, those earrings were the wrong choice for a day event, it was not the Garter service or the State Opening of Parliament, nor a wedding or jubilee, or a grand church service, but Trooping the Colour. The late Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and the surviving ladies of the Royal Family have never sported a pair of pendant diamond earrings to Trooping the Colour!!!
I am not talking about brooches or any other item of jewellery- only earrings! For generations the Royal Family has worn almost a uniform of pearls, matching earrings and a brooch for daytime events.
Pendant diamond earrings is what the Queen Mother wore everyday, including to the Trooping of the Colour.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Pendant diamond earrings is what the Queen Mother wore everyday, including to the Trooping of the Colour.

Not like the ones that the Duchess of Cambridge is wearing. I agree that she used to wear the beautiful diamond flower earrings made from marquise cut diamonds, they do not hang as low as the ones we are discussing. Her other pendant all diamond earrings were the Greville pendant earrings which she did not wear to ordinary daytime events.
Also one cannot really compare the last Empress of India with the Duchess!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
That has been the uniform of the current queen, true. But her mother often wore diamonds instead of matching her pearls. Camilla does wear those chokers. But otherwise, I wouldn't say we really see that "uniform." Margaret deviated from the formula quite often even as Elizabeth was settling into it. I wouldn't say Anne, Sophie or the Glousters/Kents really follow that pattern. Diana and Sarah didn't really, back in their day. And while Queen Mary often wore the jewelry you describe, there were usually other shiny baubles sprinkled about here and there, even for daytime. Even for Trooping the Color.

I just looked back through what photos I could find online from the last few decades of Trooping the Color, and I saw a multitude of stones and styles. The best conclusion I could reach based on the evidence is that there really doesn't seem to be a "Windsor Way" regarding earrings for this event.

Or who is on the balcony...I was surprised in the pictures from 1980 to see several women who are definitely not family members. The captions I could find didn't name them so I'm not sure who they are, but it seems the Queen invited guests of some sort to participate that year.

Here's a photo that clearly shows the face of one of the women -- standing behind Anne: http://us.hellomagazine.com/images/s...allery_5_3.jpg
Old 06-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Not like the ones that the Duchess of Cambridge is wearing. I agree that she used to wear the beautiful diamond flower earrings made from marquise cut diamonds, they do not hang as low as the ones we are discussing. Her other pendant all diamond earrings were the Greville pendant earrings which she did not wear to ordinary daytime events.
Also one cannot really compare the last Empress of India with the Duchess!
So in your book, it was okay for the Queen Mother to wear pendant diamond earrings every day as she had once been an Empress, but not for a Princess to a state occassion celebrating the 91st birthday of the longest serving monarch of the land ?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
That has been the uniform of the current queen, true. But her mother often wore diamonds instead of matching her pearls. Camilla does wear those chokers. But otherwise, I wouldn't say we really see that "uniform." Margaret deviated from the formula quite often even as Elizabeth was settling into it. I wouldn't say Anne, Sophie or the Glousters/Kents really follow that pattern. Diana and Sarah didn't really, back in their day. And while Queen Mary often wore the jewelry you describe, there were usually other shiny baubles sprinkled about here and there, even for daytime. Even for Trooping the Color.

I just looked back through what photos I could find online from the last few decades of Trooping the Color, and I saw a multitude of stones and styles. The best conclusion I could reach based on the evidence is that there really doesn't seem to be a "Windsor Way" regarding earrings for this event.

Or who is on the balcony...I was surprised in the pictures from 1980 to see several women who are definitely not family members. The captions I could find didn't name them so I'm not sure who they are, but it seems the Queen invited guests of some sort to participate that year.

Here's a photo that clearly shows the face of one of the women -- standing behind Anne: http://us.hellomagazine.com/images/s...allery_5_3.jpg

Your photograph kindly proves my point - no one is wearing pendant diamond earrings!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Your photograph kindly proves my point - no one is wearing pendant diamond earrings!
Except perhaps the Queen Mother!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Except perhaps the Queen Mother!

Look at the photograph they are the pearl and diamond cluster earrings.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
We don't have to agree, that is fine. It's just that you don't seem to be able to explain yourself. Why can't Kate be compared to the Queen Mother or Maxima? Is this because of a double standard? Or is it that she just has to be criticised for the sake of it?

Simply comparisons are futile;

Queen Maxima is from South America where fashions etc are different .

The Queen Mother wore jewels as in days gone by.
I repeat myself never wore long pendant diamond earrings to Trooping the Colour, so pointless to compare.