The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
The brooch USED to be given to the best female cadet. They retired the brooch in favor of giving the best female cadet a sword just like the males. Presumably, the Air Cadets decided to give the brooch to the Duchess of Cambridge as their new Commandant as honestly it would never get worn otherwise.
Exactly. (although as I said, probably not given). It's a fancy, expensive brooch and it would have been a waste to just have it lay around after the change. This seem like a fitting way for the brooch to still get use :)

Old 02-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Exactly. (although as I said, probably not given). It's a fancy, expensive brooch and it would have been a waste to just have it lay around after the change. This seem like a fitting way for the brooch to still get use :)
Yeah, I should have said loaned as I don't think they gave it to her to keep, just to use in her capacity as their Commandant.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

The brooch would likely never be worn again, if Catherine didn't get this role. I get the feeling there will be other royal women in the future that will get this role and wear the brooch. Perhaps, Princess Charlotte.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^I agree hernameispekka. Likely it will be passed on to the next female patron to wear or for his spouse to use.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What an exquisite brooch ,do we know anything of its history?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
What an exquisite brooch ,do we know anything of its history?
Read through for a decent history up til 2013: RAF_air_cadets_news.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The brooch is stunning. A few more photos:

Duchess of Cambridge Marks 75th Anniversary of RAF Air Cadets

Duchess of Cambridge attends the 75th Anniversary of RAF Air Cadets - Zimbio
Old 02-07-2016, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

After seeing the comments made in the Fashion thread about the brooch earlier today, I was more than leery of checking things out in here.

Phew!! Glad to see the discussion in here is both respectful and civil towards, not just the brooch, but the intent and history of it and what it means to the Air Cadets as well. Regardless of if you like it or not.

Which I do and that is a stunner!! As for those complaining they can't see it, I'm sorry but what!?! The first pics I saw were distant shots and just like someone else, I went, "WOW!!" How anyone can say that thing can't be seen, even w/Catherine's hair down, is just worrying to me because perhaps an eye checkup is due.

I am not being snotty or nasty either for the record. If Mom & I could see it in those distance pictures w/our Vision Issues w/out any problem, and some here are saying they can't, that to me is concerning and I really hope are not hints of something going on w/someone's vision.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
After seeing the comments made in the Fashion thread about the brooch earlier today, I was more than leery of checking things out in here.

Phew!! Glad to see the discussion in here is both respectful and civil towards, not just the brooch, but the intent and history of it and what it means to the Air Cadets as well. Regardless of if you like it or not.

Which I do and that is a stunner!! As for those complaining they can't see it, I'm sorry but what!?! The first pics I saw were distant shots and just like someone else, I went, "WOW!!" How anyone can say that thing can't be seen, even w/Catherine's hair down, is just worrying to me because perhaps an eye checkup is due.

I am not being snotty or nasty either for the record. If Mom & I could see it in those distance pictures w/our Vision Issues w/out any problem, and some here are saying they can't, that to me is concerning and I really hope are not hints of something going on w/someone's vision.

I think the point of the 'cant see' is that it obscures the detail. Yes, the broach is so huge that her hair isn't hiding it all, but with it loose messy around the broach, you don't get a full view of the detail of it.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I think the point of the 'cant see' is that it obscures the detail. Yes, the broach is so huge that her hair isn't hiding it all, but with it loose messy around the broach, you don't get a full view of the detail of it.

Really? That's odd to me because even in those kind of pics, I could see enough detail to figure it out. Now if these weren't of the quality of even three years ago, I'd say you have a point, but in this age of HD Photography? I just don't get it.

Oh well...Apples and Oranges. :)

Old 02-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Which is interesting because I was looking at a photo gallery from this event and her hair was out of the way in the majority of the photos. There were just a few that showed her hair covering (or partially covering) the brooch. Even though her hair was down, it appears that she tried to be mindful of the fact that she was wearing it.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

The first pictures I saw her hair was back and I saw the broach. When I saw the comments about her hair hiding it, I went looking for photos with it in front. Certainly you get more pics with a good view. I simply understand what some people were saying, in the photos her hair is over her shoulders, you cant see the full detail.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge, Honorary Air Commandant, joined members of the RAF Air Cadets to mark their 75th anniversary for her first official engagement of the year.

She wore an Air Cadets Dacre brooch, known to be the highest award any female cadet can achieve.

The brooch can hardly be seen, the hair should have been up!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...4845218357.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...4844856055.jpg
A beautiful and regal brooch.

http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2016...ooch.html#more
Old 02-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
And for those of you that want to see it up close and personal, here you go.

https://twitter.com/TRH_WandC/status...y&refsrc=email
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton's £3,450 accessory that she saves for special occasions
Old 03-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cambridge's most dazzling jewels
Old 03-18-2016, 09:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Our Queen At Ninety documentary follows The Queen as she turns 90 | Daily Mail Online

picture in this article of Kate in the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara from inside BP at the diplomatic reception. You can also see she is wearing the same diamond bracelets she wore at the state banquet the previous month - the Queen's wedding bracelet and Queen mary's converted bracelet

Old 03-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Great to see a good photo of her wearing that tiara.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:30 PM
Heir Apparent

That's the second time right?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
That's the second time right?
No - she has worn it to one Diplomatic Reception - December 2015

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,