Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a state occassion, and a celebration of HM's birthday.

As I stated further upthread, when Max wears OTTs earrings, that is fine. When Kate wears a tasteful pair, it is considered brash. When she does not wear them, she is criticised for being too boring, and unwilling to use the royal jewels she has. No winning, is there?

Queen Maxima is Argentinian by birth and flamboyant and truly wonderful!
No comparison!
The Duchess of Cambridge would have looked much better without the diamond earrings ! No other Windsor lady was seen with diamond earrings ! It is not the Windsor way and I feel she should pay better attention to this part of her outfit.
The other Windsor Ladies reserve their glitter for the evening.
I'm not saying she did not look beautiful, rather I'm baffled by her jewellery choice !

I beg to differ on that. HM, The Queen often wears spectacular diamonds during the day in the form of her many, many brooches. No one can compare to the Queen when it comes to the brooch department bling. :D

Kate felt comfortable wearing the diamond earrings and I think they looked fantastic on her. There really isn't any kind of a dress/jewelry code that they have to adhere to. The earrings are on loan from HM, herself, and Kate proudly wears them. That's good enough for me.

How are diamond earrings that you could not even see if you where standing on the Mall watching the carriage procession or the balcony brash? There are a thousand soldiers in bright red tunics and bears on their head, two regiments of Calvary with chest plates and plumed helmets on horses at this event and the Duchess of Cambridge's earrings are to showy?

The Queen herself was wearing a diamond covered Brigade of Guards brooch on Saturday.

The combination of pearls with that particular outfit would have been overly precious and twee. No, she showed good taste in wearing a bolder earring with that pink.

These diamond earrings are stunning and they are appropriate. I'd wear them any chance I got.

Queen Maxima is Argentinian by birth and flamboyant and truly wonderful!
No comparison!

What is the point you are making? A "flamboyant and truly wonderful" royal can wear pretty OTT jewellery, but a Princess of the UK cannot wear a pair of diamond earrings for a state occasion? Is it because she is usually understated in her dressing?

No other Windsor lady was seen with diamond earrings !

The Queen Mother pretty much always wore her diamond earrings, during the day, as did Princess Margaret. Camilla also wears pearl and diamond earrings everyday.

Also for events like the Garter service, HM is not averse to some serious earrings.

It is not the Windsor way and I feel she should pay better attention to this part of her outfit.
The other Windsor Ladies reserve their glitter for the evening.

The Windsor way? Surely it is for each Windsor lady to define what works for her personally.

As regards reserving glitter for the evening, as pointed out by other posters, HM herself is rarely seen without a pretty glittering brooch.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see Kate wearing important family jewelry at this kind of event. It's fitting, given her age and position. If she was a younger woman, say 22 or even 25, it might be a bit much, but as she's maturing, her personal style is evolving at the same pace. This ensemble and what she wore to her sister's wedding are so perfect for a thirty-something prominent royal lady.

What is the point you are making? A "flamboyant and truly wonderful" royal can wear pretty OTT jewellery, but a Princess of the UK cannot wear a pair of diamond earrings for a state occasion? Is it because she is usually understated in her dressing?

The Queen Mother pretty much always wore her diamond earrings, during the day, as did Princess Margaret. Camilla also wears pearl and diamond earrings everyday.

Also for events like the Garter service, HM is not averse to some serious earrings.

The Windsor way? Surely it is for each Windsor lady to define what works for her personally.

As regards reserving glitter for the evening, as pointed out by other posters, HM herself is rarely seen without a pretty glittering brooch.

The point I am making is that in my opinion, those earrings were the wrong choice for a day event, it was not the Garter service or the State Opening of Parliament, nor a wedding or jubilee, or a grand church service, but Trooping the Colour. The late Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and the surviving ladies of the Royal Family have never sported a pair of pendant diamond earrings to Trooping the Colour!!!
I am not talking about brooches or any other item of jewellery- only earrings! For generations the Royal Family has worn almost a uniform of pearls, matching earrings and a brooch for daytime events.

The point I am making is that in my opinion, those earrings were the wrong choice for a day event, it was not the Garter service or the State Opening of Parliament, nor a wedding or jubilee, or a grand church service, but Trooping the Colour. The late Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and the surviving ladies of the Royal Family have never sported a pair of pendant diamond earrings to Trooping the Colour!!!
I am not talking about brooches or any other item of jewellery- only earrings! For generations the Royal Family has worn almost a uniform of pearls, matching earrings and a brooch for daytime events.

Pendant diamond earrings is what the Queen Mother wore everyday, including to the Trooping of the Colour.

Pendant diamond earrings is what the Queen Mother wore everyday, including to the Trooping of the Colour.

Not like the ones that the Duchess of Cambridge is wearing. I agree that she used to wear the beautiful diamond flower earrings made from marquise cut diamonds, they do not hang as low as the ones we are discussing. Her other pendant all diamond earrings were the Greville pendant earrings which she did not wear to ordinary daytime events.
Also one cannot really compare the last Empress of India with the Duchess!

That has been the uniform of the current queen, true. But her mother often wore diamonds instead of matching her pearls. Camilla does wear those chokers. But otherwise, I wouldn't say we really see that "uniform." Margaret deviated from the formula quite often even as Elizabeth was settling into it. I wouldn't say Anne, Sophie or the Glousters/Kents really follow that pattern. Diana and Sarah didn't really, back in their day. And while Queen Mary often wore the jewelry you describe, there were usually other shiny baubles sprinkled about here and there, even for daytime. Even for Trooping the Color.

I just looked back through what photos I could find online from the last few decades of Trooping the Color, and I saw a multitude of stones and styles. The best conclusion I could reach based on the evidence is that there really doesn't seem to be a "Windsor Way" regarding earrings for this event.

Or who is on the balcony...I was surprised in the pictures from 1980 to see several women who are definitely not family members. The captions I could find didn't name them so I'm not sure who they are, but it seems the Queen invited guests of some sort to participate that year.

Here's a photo that clearly shows the face of one of the women -- standing behind Anne: http://us.hellomagazine.com/images/stories/0/2015/06/12/000/242/001/gallery_5_3.jpg

Last edited:
Not like the ones that the Duchess of Cambridge is wearing. I agree that she used to wear the beautiful diamond flower earrings made from marquise cut diamonds, they do not hang as low as the ones we are discussing. Her other pendant all diamond earrings were the Greville pendant earrings which she did not wear to ordinary daytime events.
Also one cannot really compare the last Empress of India with the Duchess!
So in your book, it was okay for the Queen Mother to wear pendant diamond earrings every day as she had once been an Empress, but not for a Princess to a state occassion celebrating the 91st birthday of the longest serving monarch of the land ?

Last edited:
That has been the uniform of the current queen, true. But her mother often wore diamonds instead of matching her pearls. Camilla does wear those chokers. But otherwise, I wouldn't say we really see that "uniform." Margaret deviated from the formula quite often even as Elizabeth was settling into it. I wouldn't say Anne, Sophie or the Glousters/Kents really follow that pattern. Diana and Sarah didn't really, back in their day. And while Queen Mary often wore the jewelry you describe, there were usually other shiny baubles sprinkled about here and there, even for daytime. Even for Trooping the Color.

I just looked back through what photos I could find online from the last few decades of Trooping the Color, and I saw a multitude of stones and styles. The best conclusion I could reach based on the evidence is that there really doesn't seem to be a "Windsor Way" regarding earrings for this event.

Or who is on the balcony...I was surprised in the pictures from 1980 to see several women who are definitely not family members. The captions I could find didn't name them so I'm not sure who they are, but it seems the Queen invited guests of some sort to participate that year.

Here's a photo that clearly shows the face of one of the women -- standing behind Anne: http://us.hellomagazine.com/images/stories/0/2015/06/12/000/242/001/gallery_5_3.jpg

Your photograph kindly proves my point - no one is wearing pendant diamond earrings!

We don't have to agree, that is fine. It's just that you don't seem to be able to explain yourself. Why can't Kate be compared to the Queen Mother or Maxima? Is this because of a double standard? Or is it that she just has to be criticised for the sake of it?

Simply comparisons are futile;

Queen Maxima is from South America where fashions etc are different .

The Queen Mother wore jewels as in days gone by.
I repeat myself never wore long pendant diamond earrings to Trooping the Colour, so pointless to compare.

We don't have to agree, that is fine. It's just that you don't seem to be able to explain yourself. Why can't Kate be compared to the Queen Mother or Maxima? Is this because of a double standard? Or is it that she just has to be criticised for the sake of it?

". . . criticized for the sake of it . ." BINGO!! The Duchess looked amazing; beautiful dress; perfect color; great hat, yet there are people who have to find something, anything, to criticize her for or their day is not complete. If her dress is not too short, then it's too long. If her hair is pinned up then it should be down. She wears a beautiful pair of diamond earrings but she should have worn pearls. I'm done.:bang:

Simply comparisons are futile;

Queen Maxima is from South America where fashions etc are different .

The Queen Mother wore jewels as in days gone by.
I repeat myself never wore long pendant diamond earrings to Trooping the Colour, so pointless to compare.
Maxima is the Queen of the Netherlands, and had lived there for around 15 years.

The Queen Mother wore diamond pendant earrings most days, including the Trooping.

Where is the debate?

Personally, I love the diamonds. Can't go wrong with them.

Catherine looked stunning with the diamond earrings for the Trooping. I would suggest she even wear some diamond brooches during the day and night whenever she can. She always look good in diamonds. Hell, I think women and men look good in diamonds.

The diamond earrings were a lovely addition to her TTC look IMO.

Loved the Duchess of Cambridge appearance at the Trooping

Nice to see her branching out with her own style of jewellery for the event.

There are no rules and I like that!

I'm not into who wore what diamonds etc etc. But I think maybe this wasn't the time to go all out with diamonds. The things that are happening now in London are truly heartbreaking so many dead so many homeless those diamonds are worth enough to house them etc. I'm not a republican but can understand how a lot of people are feeling. Anyway sorry OT.

I'm not into who wore what diamonds etc etc. But I think maybe this wasn't the time to go all out with diamonds. The things that are happening now in London are truly heartbreaking so many dead so many homeless those diamonds are worth enough to house them etc. I'm not a republican but can understand how a lot of people are feeling. Anyway sorry OT.

The Queen, Camilla and probably others wore diamonds. The Queen wears diamonds to memorial services, even to the funeral of her mother and sister.

I think that what people on here are feeling is that they just don't like Catherine.

And yet other people complain that Kate usually wears (good) costume jewelry and doesn't buy new diamond or other precious gem jewelry instead.
She can't make everyone happy.

Then perhaps everybody should have worn black and pearls.:bang:

The thing about "what's happening now in London" and Paris and around the world is that there are nasty people trying their best to scare us and make us all hide away like frighten animals. Instead, the Trooping of the Colors went on the way it has always gone on and the royals dressed the way they always dressed and wore the jewelry they always wear because that's what the people want to see. You can't stop living because people die.:sad: Life goes on. It has to.

Last edited:
I don't think either of them have Kate's nose. Maybe a future child will favor Kate more.

LaRae

Wierdly, not OT as the day started totally different to any other trooping of the colour with HM's "solomn message to the nation", that began with these words.
ERII said:
Today is traditionally a day of celebration. This year, however, it is difficult to escape a very sombre national mood.
Since the entire contretemps was caused by my post I feel I should once again restate my opinion that Catherine did not seem to get the memo to dress down. Everyone else was quite reserved and not a little sombre in both in dress and jewellery. In contrast, Catherine's diamond drops were OTT.

As to HM's Diamond Brooch"
For the past 26 years, HM's been wearing the same brooch: the Guards Brooch, which features the badges of the five Household Regiments (the Coldstream Guards, the Grenadier Guards, the Irish Guards, the Scots Guards, and the Welsh Guards). HM's brooch being handed down from Queen Mary.
It was too late to cancel the Trooping of the Colour but restraint was followed by the BRF as dictated by HM.

For the record, I liked Catherine's ensemble, it's one of the most attractive colours I have seen her wear. However, I am still of the opinion that those particular diamond drops are better paired with a diamond tiara than a natty pink hat, just as her pink ensemble would have been better debuted at Ascot or some such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom