The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2016, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Yes - we will never know what type of engagement ring she would have chosen. I've noticed she will wear her engagement ring to all official events, but when she's been photographed off-duty, 95% of the time she'll wear her wedding and eternity rings only.

I think 95% not wearing the engagement isn't accurate. She had it on at recent horse trials where it was a private event and not a guarantee picture opportunity. I can see if Kate is going to work out in London not wearing it. From the photos I have seen, she is wearing the engagement ring more than she isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Yeah...I am trying to think of times I've seen pics of her without the ring (I always look for it in pics) and other than a couple times where she was working (hospital event once and a couple weeks ago when she was sailing)...she has it on. Even back when they were in Wales still and she was doing the local errands I seem to remember her wearing it.

LaRae

Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've also been struck how often she wears it. I would think the tally would far outweigh the times she is seen without it including when she is 'off duty'.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Catherine is rarely seen without her ring. If she's not wearing it, likely it means she's doing some heavy or delicate activity with her hands and the ring have to be removed.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Courtier

Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

Those size stones are problematic. My best friend's wife has a 5 caret Solitare, and she has broken prongs many times over the years even after having them reinforced. Luckily the stone only fell out once once on a plane and they found it under the seat.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
In fairness, this famous ring was Diana's choice not Kate's and it's the sort of engagement ring an excited 19 year old would choose.

I find it fascinating how onlookers often have such definite thoughts on it. Some don't like its provenance and wouldn't wear it at any price, and others call it 'ring of doom' and fated, cursed etc, while on the other hand some think it was a lovely gesture by William to choose to give it. Its mixed history has certainly divided opinions.

I don't mind it, as my own engagement ring has a large sapphire (and two diamonds) though not so huge as that one, and I love coloured stones. I agree it's not a practical ring at all, though. It resembles a dress ring in size.
My dislike has nothing to do with provenance. Its the ring. Even if it was bought brand new for her, my opinion would be the same. Its 1. not that attractive. No real craftsmanship IMO. All about the bling and not about detail 2. Its too big to be practical. If Diana's engagement ring had been different, I wouldn't have had an issue with it. I personally would want a ring from a divorced couple, but I fully accept others would.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Nobility

earrings The Duchess of Cambridge wore at the SportsAid's 40th anniversary dinner at Kensington Palace
Old 06-10-2016, 02:02 AM
Majesty

New Cartier Earrings for Kate! | The Court Jeweller

An exquisite pair of earrings.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
You know, I didn't love them because I'm not a big fan of investing in expensive jewels that are more trendy and can't be worn all the time- until they pointed out that it can be seen as a nod to the Olympic rings.

If she wears those pieces for years to come at Olympic related events, I'm totally on board :)
Old 06-10-2016, 05:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
You know, I didn't love them because I'm not a big fan of investing in expensive jewels that are more trendy and can't be worn all the time- until they pointed out that it can be seen as a nod to the Olympic rings.

If she wears those pieces for years to come at Olympic related events, I'm totally on board :)
Whilst I have neither credible evidence or inside knowledge, I reasonably sure these earrings, along with the matching necklace, were presents, possibly dating back to their wedding.

I too am not for "trendy" jewels, but none of the senior royals of the BRF appear to be on that camp, IMO
Old 06-10-2016, 06:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Whilst I have neither credible evidence or inside knowledge, I reasonably sure these earrings, along with the matching necklace, were presents, possibly dating back to their wedding.

I too am not for "trendy" jewels, but none of the senior royals of the BRF appear to be on that camp, IMO
I think you're right. This is a very expensive gift and seems more like a wedding gift than something she would have purchased for herself.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Nobility

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RcpBdiwZPt...%2Btrinity.jpg
the new cartier trinity errings
Old 06-11-2016, 04:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Kate Middleton wears Cartier diamond earrings at SportsAid charity event at Kensington Palace | Daily Mail Online

"Duchess steals Cameron Diaz's red carpet look with 30.000 Cartier diamond earrings"
Old 06-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

These jewels look really great on Kate, fresh, modern and elegant as well. To me it looks like the earrings are a match with that circle necklace, and I hope that she'll wear them together one day.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Nobility

New earrings at Trooping the Colour https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkqcZX8W0AE57Pw.jpg
These look very much like the mabe pearls that Diana favoured but don't match any of the earrings over at Diana's Jewels
Old 06-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Royal Highness

They have been identified (not 100% but very probable) as Balenciaga
Old 06-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Re: this photo - Mark Cuthbert posted this one on his site. Odd expression, odd choice, I thought.
Great shot of (I loooooove them) the mabe pearl earrings. It's fun to see Catherine (or her jewel acquirer) gaining a taste for pearls.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Nobility

Here are the Balenciaga earrings
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 06-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Those Balenciaga earrings aren't exactly my favourites, but they matched the outfit well.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness

Are these Fake or 'cultured', anyone know ? I hope not ! Heaven knows the BRF has enough pairs of real Pearl earrings, one of which would have served ...